Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is YK's plot just accepted as a joke or an artifact of writing from video games in the early 2000s because man, if i didnt have context from y0, i would not give a poo poo about anything or anyone in this game - and ive heard its a pretty faithful remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont wanna spoil myself so im not quoting your post but i dont miss rush style because it was basically 99% of every boss fight

edit: until you have the stats and ability to go beast mode and just block and backcrack

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 30, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it is incomprehensible to me that the people that made 2 also made 1. 2 is a masterpiece and 1 is a great way to turn new people away from the franchise

that said, either power through the main story or watch it on youtube

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i just bought and sold the same knives or clubs or whatever until he gave me my poison death sword

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

stev posted:

Wow, the people who said Kiwami 2 was a step up from the first weren't kidding. What a gorgeous game. Guess I'll put buying 7 on hold until I've gotten through this one!

Kiryu's mouth moves funny though.

2 was good enough that i dont think i could stomach 3 so im just not playing 3-6 until theyre available on pc and if thats never well.. then thats what it is

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

"I can't stomach 3 so I'll wait until it's available on a system even more hilariously overpowered to play a completely unchanged 3"

huh

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

The game you don't think you could stomach in its current form will be identically unstomachable if and when it reaches PC

well other than that a: i dont own the console b: cheat engine exists c: m/kb is better than a controller and d: hopefully they announce kiwami 3, yeah youre right. you made some great (?) points in a weird and hostile way, thanks!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

kiryu seems to spend more time expelled from the yakuza than actually a member so he probably uses m/kb as well

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its on the same engine as 2, right? how has peformance been for people with older gpus - i have a 970 and while kiwami 2 was alright, if it was any worse id probably just wait until i get a 3070

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

beat y7 using a kb/m with the english dub. great game, hope ichi sticks around for a while

edit: english dub is so goddamn good. i dunno if they got lucky but they picked the right actors for basically the entire main cast

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

American McGay posted:

English dub differs largely enough from the sub translations that I can't really recommend it. Feels like a ton of important story stuff comes across differently and annoyed me.

i redid like four chapters with jp immediately after just to make sure my path was righteous and in none of these cases did i think even once “the meaning is significantly changed here”

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eh if thats what you think

American McGay posted:

It's embarrassingly bad and also the script is changed in non-insignificant ways from the English subs. :colbert:

American McGay posted:

The dub is so loving bad. Nanba is like a 40 year old baritone.

ah i wont lose any sleep over it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Harrow posted:

Okay cool. I sorta assumed staff icon on an attack = Magic stat and was just working from there.

i think thats literally it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

that video reminds me that one of the biggest things they messed up in this game is not having a slightly more restrictive battle arena, or letting your party move with the bad guys. punching some peon that inexplicably has 20x the normal health bar down an entire block and spending like minutes running back and forth was really not enjoyable

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

there were like 3 points in the game where i just started earning 10 times as much exp for any given thing so wait until one of those pop up before you start doing real grinding i think

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

after like five runs of management sim and realizing it was literally impossible to fail i just cheat engined myself the money i had in the corporate account and pretended it was real life instead of "doing more work" cause gently caress that. im in charge

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

loquacius posted:

So, Y7 question:

When I first hit the Majima fight, I got completely wrecked, and took a little break to do sidequests and the arena and get all the "ultimate" crafting weapons, then came back and beat him fairly easily

then I got wrecked by the Kiryu fight, and now I don't have any arena or sidequests left to do. Is there anything else to do here than repeat the arena to grind levels and try to upgrade my armors, or are there any other tricks I should be doing to get past this fight?

use spoilers dude. also kiryu is weak to cold and only attacks men. keep ichiban's self-res up and you'll whittle him down eventually

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

peerless resolve lasts forever as long as ichi doesnt die so i just cast it at the start of every fight in case there was some cheesy bullshit

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

isnt 30 where you get the big stat boost

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

30's not a big permanent stat boost but between rank 35 and rank 90/95 the permanent stat boosts are significantly reduced in size, so you're getting less bang for your exp unless you intend to go all the way. 28's a fair grind for most of the game, so if you're grinding for the skill it can still not be worth it to do 2 more levels just for like +10 Agility.

30 can be big for some. i think its like +20 attack for clerk

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I actually kinda like the implication that Kasuga on his own isn't actually a match for any of the legends, but with his friends he can and will kick all of their asses

on the other hand its kinda funny when you stumble across like two guys picking on a woman in the streets and ichis like ok im gonna show you a lesson and then three of his bat/sword/shield wielding friends materialize out of nowhere and go to town on them. all of these events which were explicitly heroic in previous games have a weird light cast upon them which is odd because ichi is the most intentionally 'heroic' protagonist of the lot

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wasnt 0 the one where you just hold a button in beast stance and get free counters over and over

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that LAD is probably the best-written of the games so far, but yeah, it's representative of the tone of the series as a whole, so if you're enjoying this, you should like the rest of them too.

I'll also echo that Kiryu is a very different kind of protagonist from Ichiban, he's much more of a stoic, lawful good, honor-obsessed kind of martial arts guy, but the game gets a lot of comedy mileage by sending that fish out of water, I grew to really like Kiryu by the end. The hardest part of getting used to Kiryu is trying not to let Majima overshadow him if you start with 0, probably

if 0 is your first game, man does kiryu come across as an rear end in a top hat. theres a scene where makoto is crying about being basically a sex slave for years and being blind and not sure if she can go on and kiryu is so profoundly uninterested that its not even clear hes listening

*a blind girl breaks down into tears as she fully grasps the reality of how her entire life of extreme hardship and torture could have been monumentally different if literally anything different happened*

kiryu: yes but it is inexcusable to cry, even for thirty seconds

makoto: life has been a never ending series of betrayal, loss and torture and now everyone wants to kill me and im not even sure if theres a reason to be trying to survive their attempts

kiryu: did i remember to feed nugget

its mostly just the main story though. kiryu shows more sympathy and compassion in those for people trying to kill him or sex pests that run telephone shops than he does to a blind girl

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 12, 2022

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the LAD dub is really, really good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

thats kinda sad, like a dragon's dub was genuinely really good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is the dub for 8 notably worse than for 7? first half an hour and it really doesnt feel good, whereas the dub in 7 was honestly one of the most surprising and best parts

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

after chapter 7: is kiryu's section as long as the first 7 chapters of this game, is it more an interlude, or does it do the y0 back and forth for the rest?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

man, i dont know how they turned a sort of mediocre plot into such a thematically appropriate ending in IW but im really satisfied

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is 3 the only lovely one and 4 is on a newer engine or whats up with that

Waffleman_ posted:

Extremely strong character work.

yeah thats what i think too. they really understand their characters through and through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i didnt mind the voice for kiryu ultimately, but i hated the karaoke for everyone in the dub. i think his voice isnt as good, but most of his clips arent about being a stalwart bad rear end, theyre about reminiscing and making friends, and i think the actor sounds genuine enough to make it work