Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FutureFriend posted:

does the game ever show you on the mini-map where the substories are like 5 did or do i have to go around the map searching for em?

Just got to Majima's starting chapter (Thank you, street date breaking store!), and as far as I can tell starting sub stories are not marked. They do have markings once you started it, though.

Also, even relatively early on there are very aggressive enemies that could stunlock you into submission if you are not paying attention. Triple so if you're in Beast style.

If you are in Beast style and near a large pickup, a fight could be over in seconds. Otherwise...pretend I posted that gif of Homer Simpson being beat up by Not-Mike Tyson.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
My main issue with Beast is that it is easy to be surrounded and be completely shut down. If you have a large pickup nearby, then it melts faces. Otherwise, it has no real counter for agressive, fast attacking enemies (slow movement and dodge, block is worse than useless).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird thing about this game: those just stop not very far into the game and give way to the normal kind of cutscenes.

Honestly I am glad of that. The models still have face twitches which just seems unsettling to me, like a portrait's eyes moving.

I am curious, what is the japanese name for the "...I did it for the trophy" trophy?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Did you do the slot car thing yet?

If not do it ASAP.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

tap my mountain posted:

Where is the slot cars activity? Do you unlock it through the story?

After the first chapter, go to the upper left corner of the map. You should get an event leading you to it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

StarkRavingMad posted:

I love how consistent Kiryu's characterization always is.

Rule 1: Never compromise on anything ever.
Rule 2: If something interferes with Rule 1, beat it until it stops.

So I was like, hmm, a Shogi parlor, I don't remember that, this seems like an interesting game

... :psyduck:

At least this time they labeled the pieces with English letter indicators. Or did they do that in 5?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Welp I figured it out. I was using an accessory called "Charismatic Autobiography" that gives good good stats but apparently makes enemies like 10x as aggressive. It's definitely not clear that's what it does in the item description. I took it off and I can clear fights without getting hit now :doh:

So yeah, gently caress you guys. I knew something was off.

Yeah, just checked and I had that equipped. That explains quite a bit.

You get it from the Damned Yanki sub story.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I admit I got a few game overs on mooks, and I needed a meal or a healing item after every fight, but I managed to clear chapter 2 with the stupid thing on so I managed. Rush was great for dodging, and like I said Beast style at the right place at the right time can destroy groups in seconds.

Regardless, it is a nasty trap.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am legit disappointed that there's only one song for Majima to sing (so far)

At least the one he has is MAGICAL

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
...When you get to Majima, go to the Karaoke bar and play Rouge of Love. Just do it.

:byodood: ERRYBODY SAY ROUGE OF LOVE :byodood:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Mahjong: What is the Round Wind? I get that your Seat Wind refers to your seat in the table.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

I have to say the CP and money systems are a clever way to encourage players to explore all the side stuff and I'm going to end up doing a lot more of it in this one than any of the others.

Probably still not going to learn Shogi or Mahjong though. :effort:

I actually kind of like mahjong, even if it took me a while to realize that actively melding groups only works if you are going for specific hands.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

This one is a hell of a lot harder than any other game in the series. I died 5 times in 2 hours, that's more than I Game Overed in Yakuza 3 and 4 combined.

Do you have the Charismatic Autobiography equipped? If so, that is why.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, uh, substory 63 ( The third one down the list for Majima) Rise of the Dragon...

So the Yakuza 2 antagonist just tried to steal my pants. Was it a no game over on loss battle? cause he was damned tough. Gave me a good chunk of money though.

This damned game...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

lets hang out posted:

the people who thought the kamoji training was good should be shot out of a cannon into the sun

I honestly thought the Slugger training is far worse. At least with Thug training I could knock him down and cave in the old mans rib cage.

I just completed chapter 4. Right now I am mostly pissed at the neogaf thread for this game for spoiling the cliffhanger in the OP.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 29, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stelas posted:

It's possible to mash through Slugger training by blocking his strings, then doing the nunchaku combo, then going right back to blocking. Works on basically all his stuff.

Except that he does that bullshit block-dodge that leaves you wide open to whatever he feels like doing due to the slow recovery.

And honestly I would have forgiven that if he didn't have so much HP that it just makes it a slog.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe they draw them into a pain dimension, not unlike 50 cent (See the Fiddy zone) and Jack Slate.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 30, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey, a box of nails! Wonder what the heat action for that is...

:stonk: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:stonk:

EDIT: I don't know what I was expecting...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, how many total chapters there are in the game? I am in chapter 6 and I thought the game was starting to wind down, on the Kiryu side at least. Going by some of the earlier posts, that is obviously not the case.

I could try to burn through the rest of the mini game side quests and business, but I think I am ready to progress through the story.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

I am having an awful loving time with the punch-out artist sidequest in Yakuza 0. I don't know if I'm just absolute crap at this game's combat system or what, but I never dodge in the right direction and constantly get hit. Getting stunlocked loving sucks too, it's impossible to recover at all and if you're hit once you're practically on the floor.

Is there a tricking to dodging enemies, or what? This is a problem I have in all sorts of combat, really.

edit: In fact, I constantly get stunlocked in this game. Wow, it's really punishing.

I forget the name of the item, but there is a early game side quest reward equipment (I think it was some sort of autobiography, from the Yanki quest I think?) that gives good stats but makes the enemies ultra aggressive. I think it says as such in the description. Check to see if it is equipped and if it is, take it off. You will have a much easier time.

EDIT: Ah, here it is: Charismatic Autobiography. Take it off if you have it. It is a trap.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 25, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Adaptabullshit posted:

The Yakuza 5 Saejima chapter was so boring I fell asleep.

It did have The Santa Hunters subquest at least.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Expect My Mom posted:

Seeing a few more English impressions. The biggest complaint I see is that the new detective mechanics aren't the tightest, but nothing but good things about the story and there's still the goofy Yakuza poo poo you want.

Basically what I am seeing is that the new detective stuff kind of sucks, but story and Yakuza gameplay still carry it. I can think of worse things than that.

I see some split opinion about the new protagonist as well. The Eurogamer reviewer in particular really did not like him, though I do see praise elsewhere.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did the preorder this morning and it said it was out at around 9 PM PDT so...I think you may be good?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, but I heard there is no Karaoke mini game this time :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For what it is worth I have the dub on and I like it for the most part.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So the local Street Date breaking store near me had some PS4 copies of Y7 but they were out as soon as I arrived.

The good news is that they may be getting XBone copies tonight so I am going to try for those.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Managed to get the Xbone version!

Do we know if there are any enhancements for Xbox One X or is it just about Series X?

EDIT: Yeah, I am doing some searching and it isn’t even mentioned. I get that the thing is being phased out but come on...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 5, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will settle for “Running the game decently doesn’t make the console sound like it is screaming” at this point

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am liking Y7 so far, but I noticed that weird little gaffe too.

Also, I have Shogi available and something in my brain is just broken that can’t really connect with Chess or Chess style games. I do like puzzle Shogi.

Also, they replaced Pachinko with Slots? And the Slots are DLC (that I can’t download because the game is not technically released yet)?! What the gently caress is this?!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just realized.

If a game is intentionally inspired by Dragon Quest, of COURSE there will be slots :doh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Got Judgement on PS5 on a whim. Just got to Chapter 2.

Could I have some tips on dealing with bosses and the more damage spongey enemies? They are the worse part of any Yakuza game and they seem even worse here, even with Tiger Style (Should I not be using Tiger style?)

Also, gently caress whoever had the idea to list the chapter progression achievements first in the rest mode menu :argh:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 9, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp, I ended up resuming my LAD playthrough :v:

I just unlocked the management and I would like some tips on fulfilling the initial deadline (Getting to Rank 100). I did the first board meeting (I appreciate you can cheese it by apologizing profusely :v: ) and I think I understand it (One other minor question: the pointers show which colors are effective to which, right? Like, I can't remember it off the top of my head, but if red is pointing to green, then I should use a red employee on a green argument), though I did end up hiring a couple of people to even out the initial penalty.

Anyway, should I concentrate on upgrading the initial property as much as possible and/or promoting employees to increase their level cap, or should I go for another property straight away?

loving capitalism, man

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

Welp, I ended up resuming my LAD playthrough :v:

I just unlocked the management and I would like some tips on fulfilling the initial deadline (Getting to Rank 100). I did the first board meeting (I appreciate you can cheese it by apologizing profusely :v: ) and I think I understand it (One other minor question: the pointers show which colors are effective to which, right? Like, I can't remember it off the top of my head, but if red is pointing to green, then I should use a red employee on a green argument), though I did end up hiring a couple of people to even out the initial penalty.

Anyway, should I concentrate on upgrading the initial property as much as possible and/or promoting employees to increase their level cap, or should I go for another property straight away?

loving capitalism, man

Sorry, quoting this because it got caught behind the page snype. Also, are there any other deadlines like this for this thing?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I wanted to try Judgement (the first) again, can I have some tips on how to deal with the battles, particularly the larger/boss fights? I do not know why but they just feel off to me.

EDIT: Wait nevermind I literally asked this before in the thread. Better question: Do battles feel better in Lost Judgement?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 22, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So for the first Judgement, is there any content behind playing Shogi?

Also, and this is a more general question/statement, but I am a complete idiot and do not understand shogi, chess, and everything related. Is there a guide somewhere that shows me how to NOT agave my opponent immediately get a rook or something immediately in my end and ready to take my king?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vikar Jerome posted:

no content if i recall. i know you might have to play and win at majong to complete a sidecase/friendship/get the last side case and tbh, its worth it and theres cheat items.

Ironically (or is it a poetic coincidence?) I like and mostly understand Mahjong, which is most people’s stumbling block.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, I just heard that Lost Judgement references a big endgame spoiler from LAD?

Better get back on that then :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, in Judgement, is there anything past accepting a confession from a girlfriend?

I just let down Sena, and while I wasn't quite comfortable with the relationship, I have to admit, that was hard to watch :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finished the first bit of chapter 11 in Judgement. I have to admit (No actual names but big character identity spoilers nonetheless) I am a little disappointed the Mole turned out to be the dude that may as well wear a shirt that says "I am actually really Evil". Then again, they say that you lose most of the appeal of a mystery once you actually reveal the solutions so whatever. Still want to shotgun the rest of this, even if I did just get roped into a date (In game, of course :v: ).

EDIT: PLEASE tell me there is nothing like the Keihin gang in LJ

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

History Comes Inside! posted:

No keihin gang, no mortal wounds either.

I still need to go through LAD because apparently that ties in a bit and I need to get back into it but that is good to know.