Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So it looks as though the Bates Motel season four thread's hit the archives, but some promotional posters dropped today. So here's a thread for season five!

Previous seasons of Bates Motel told the story of Norma Bates and her son Norman prior to the events of the movie Psycho. Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore star, and last season their co-dependent relationship came to a head -- events that ended with a dead body, Romero imprisoned, and Norman settling into madness. Season five is based on the movie itself and will conclude the series. In the words of Wikipedia:

quote:

The fifth season will begin two years after the death of Norma. Publicly happy and well-adjusted, Norman struggles at home, where his blackouts are increasing and "Mother" threatens to take him over completely. Meanwhile, Dylan and Emma find themselves drawn back into Norman's world, and Romero hungers for revenge against his stepson.
The season begins on February 20 on A&E, but in the meanwhile all four earlier seasons are available on Netflix. :hellyeah:

Oh right, posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

those posters are real good and I feel real bad for crazy ol norman. I wonder if his psychiatrist will be back in season 5?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I wonder if his psychiatrist will be back in season 5?
If he is I bet he's going to get himself taxidermied :ohdear:

Another promo image from the official Facebook page:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh hell yes, we got a date. I've said it before and I'll said it again: Freddie Highmore needs an Emmy nod for his Norman Bates. They've got one more season to go, so the Academy better not miss this chance. Ah who am I kidding, they absolutely will. I have no idea how they'll make Rihanna as Marion Crane work because she's not an actress, but I'm optimistic.

For anyone who wants to get into Bates Motel: watch the first season, scattershot as the plot is, because it introduces the characters and sets the foundation for the rest of the series. Skip Season 2 because nothing much of consequence happens and there are still many different plot points that end up being dead ends. Watch everything else after that. Also, enjoy Vera Farmiga chewing up scenery, because it is marvelous. It's all on Netflix.

S4E9 is one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen.

Edit:

quote:

Meanwhile, Dylan and Emma find themselves drawn back into Norman's world, and Romero hungers for revenge against his stepson.
No don't do it! All of them have so much to live for! :ohdear:

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wouldn't skip any of this show on a first watch, honestly. They struggle some to balance storylines and a lot of it misses in the early going, but it's absolutely worth it to build out the cast members who aren't Norman and Norma. Emma especially has most of her screen time front loaded in the early seasons.

Besides, Vera is amazing throughout and it's worth it for her alone, really. Highmore as well, with Norman's descent from sweet, weird boy into insanity.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If nothing else, Season 2 has several moments of "Vera Farmiga Goes Apeshit" and those are never dull. My only problem with last season was that it was lacking in those scenes compared to the previous three.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

There are some great trailers out there for season 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxVGfRBaD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSwajlEXM7Y

I'm excited. This has been a good show all seasons, but 4 was great, especially the last 2 episodes.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 10, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

We have a time (finally)!

Season 5 airs on A&E on Monday, February 20th, at 10/9c.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tonight's the night! :toot:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope they use more creepily appropriate old music throughout the season. I'm already enjoying the Norma(n) dynamic. God bless Emma, she's as adorable as ever, but the plots with her and Dylan always seem a bit extraneous.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like Dylan and Emma because they're the sort of feel-good plotline. Everything else is revenge and madness and murders and here are Dylan and Emma chugging along, the only two good people in the show, bless them.

Season five's off to a good start, I think. What do you think of Romero? At this point I kind of want him to revenge the hell out of Norman.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love how in this bizarre world of Bates Motel, the family member that is the product of brother-sister incest is the most well-adjusted and successful person. The lesson is that things get better once you're actually showing your cards. I think that Dylan and Emma are going to die... but I don't want them to. They have so much to live for!

Romero still owns. I'd like for him to punch out Norman, but I don't think that's going to happen, he'll probably die too.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

I love how in this bizarre world of Bates Motel, the family member that is the product of brother-sister incest is the most well-adjusted and successful person. The lesson is that things get better once you're actually showing your cards. I think that Dylan and Emma are going to die... but I don't want them to. They have so much to live for!

Romero still owns. I'd like for him to punch out Norman, but I don't think that's going to happen, he'll probably die too.

I was really happy when I found out the wallet guy was Romero's hit man. Go Romero! (Sorry wallet guy.)

I feel like the Dylan/Emma thing is a little contrived, but don't want them to die per se. Just be an interesting part of the plot. Emma was always great on her own and shouldn't be murdered. Dylan was kind of a jerk but turned out normal and is also super hot, so I don't want him to be murdered either.

I still like Norman too. I feel bad for him. At this point he is less sympathetic because part of him (most of him?) knows what he is doing/has done, but this show has done an amazing job of making him a sympathetic character. That said, we all know this is coming to an end. I can't wait to see how.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

HungryMedusa posted:

I still like Norman too. I feel bad for him. At this point he is less sympathetic because part of him (most of him?) knows what he is doing/has done, but this show has done an amazing job of making him a sympathetic character. That said, we all know this is coming to an end. I can't wait to see how.

Really the show has done an amazing job with nearly an entire cast of characters that are unsympathetic on paper. I really like(d) Norma and watching the slightly exaggerated version of herself that Vera is playing as "Norman's Norma" is fascinating. I re-watched all four seasons to prep for the season five premiere and so I'm :stoked: for everybody's stories to resolve.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vera can really sell Norma's flippant attitude towards bizarre, gruesome poo poo. It's the second-greatest thing about her acting on this show. The first, obviously, is her going apeshit.

I'd sell my soul for a .gif of her from Season 3 taking a gun out and shooting her cell phone because Dylan wouldn't stop calling her. I'm sure it's been made, Tumblr rarely fails to disappoint in that regard.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hope this last season is totally off the rails crazy. They set up everything with Norman and Norma so well over the last four seasons and now we have reached the Psycho era.

I'm basically rooting for everyone but Norman. Maybe I should sympathize with him, but I just can't. I want Romero to get out of jail and punch Norman in the face.

I think the "mentally ill person who won't take their meds and subsequently ruins everyone's life around them" hits a little too close to home for me :chloe:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If it isn't balls to the walls insane it will be a grave disappointment.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i don't watch this show, but my (not great) idea for the thread subtitle is The Book of Norman

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd sell my soul for a .gif of her from Season 3 taking a gun out and shooting her cell phone because Dylan wouldn't stop calling her.
How's this?

short version:

Escobarbarian posted:

i don't watch this show, but my (not great) idea for the thread subtitle is The Book of Norman
this is good lmao

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The last scene in this trailer looks like the room at the end of Psycho where "Norma" explains everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8PtsjJeOI

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's creepy how much hardware store girl resembles Norma both in looks and manners.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

How's this?

short version:

omg i love you. If I had Photoshop skills I could put anything on the phone that's worthy of anger.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 2 definitely has a fuckload of narrative dead ends (remember Bradley? Me neither. Remember the cougar that hosed Dylan? Me neither) but it's still supremely entertaining (didn't it have the musical episode?). This show is fantastic.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wanna say the only plotline in Season 2 that comes back in any way is Bradley, since she goes back to White Pine Bay at the end of Season 3. The first season had even more vestigial plot points.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Season 2 had Cody and her dad falling down the stairs.

Season 3 gave us the greatest character in Chick.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 27, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Season 3 gave us the greatest character in Chick.
I'm still not entirely sure what Chick's deal was, but I don't care. He really is great.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Last season to find out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

Season 2 had Cody and her dad falling down the stairs.

Oh God I forgot about walking 90s grunge song incarnate Cody, she was really terrible and almost got Emma killed.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ugh, Cody. Every bad girl stereotype mashed together and topped off with an awful haircut.

Chick OTOH is magnificent and has great hair.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is loving hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzM1xnQLPA

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

"You were also on Suddenly Susan."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Didn't Chick leave town for good? He's still a fed, after all, and I assume that means he's got more work to do. Perhaps he'll be caught in Norma(n)'s web.

Really gotta re-watch Season 4.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Didn't Chick leave town for good? He's still a fed, after all, and I assume that means he's got more work to do. Perhaps he'll be caught in Norma(n)'s web.

Really gotta re-watch Season 4.

I can't recall (doing a series rewatch now) but he's in the previews for this season.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

I have no idea how they'll make Rihanna as Marion Crane work because she's not an actress, but I'm optimistic.

She doesn't have to do much, in the movie the character is all nervous and edgy and then gets killed to death so maybe it'll be an easy role that doesn't need much acting skill, unless they do the whole stolen money setup.But if she just arrives and gets got and then a detective character played by a skilled actor shows up to fill us in it won't make a difference. I like Rihanna tho and I think it will be cool to see her in a show I like so i aint worried.

I've only seen season 4 and started 5, I was surprised that it was set in the present cause I never seen previews etc before. I'm wondering if that means they don't have to set it up for the movie to begin. Like I would have assumed it would need to be like "Norman lives in the house and Mother is dead and he's crazy" as a strict prequel series but if it doesn't take place in the same universe (is that the right term?) can they just end it however. There's so much poo poo going on and I can't picture it just blowing over and Norman living in the house and running a motel. I want the man with the beautiful lashes to throw him off a cliff.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 27, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

life is a joke posted:

I've only seen season 4 and started 5, I was surprised that it was set in the present cause I never seen previews etc before. I'm wondering if that means they don't have to set it up for the movie to begin. Like I would have assumed it would need to be like "Norman lives in the house and Mother is dead and he's crazy" as a strict prequel series but if it doesn't take place in the same universe (is that the right term?) can they just end it however. There's so much poo poo going on and I can't picture it just blowing over and Norman living in the house and running a motel. I want the man with the beautiful lashes to throw him off a cliff.

Cuse has answered this, kinda, but I can't find it right now and anyway it sounds like you're better off not knowing until it happens.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

clown shoes posted:

I can't recall (doing a series rewatch now) but he's in the previews for this season.
The latest episode description has Chick in it, spoke too soon. Haven't seen it yet though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OK, now I saw it. That was some ending....

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The laugh I let out at the end of episode 2 could best be described as an extended cackle. That was amaaaazing

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

I hope Cody comes back this season so Norma(n) can kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

hahaha that was so good. Also I like all the taxidermy birds sprinkled throughout this show :v:

bring back old gbs posted:

The laugh I let out at the end of episode 2 could best be described as an extended cackle. That was amaaaazing

:hellyeah:

• Locked thread