Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Chick's "hoooooolllllly poo poo" was the greatest reaction in the history of reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Chick's "hoooooolllllly poo poo" was the greatest reaction in the history of reactions.
An appropriate one, too. There's really not much else you can say when you see that.

Freddie Highmore is great at imitating the dismissive attitude Norma has. Apparently he's not necessarily going to continue acting, which would be a shame. He's really good at it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stopped watching a while back. Just wanted say that is solid thread title.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

get that OUT of my face posted:

Freddie Highmore is great at imitating the dismissive attitude Norma has.

This bummed me out in the bar scene. His Vera/Norma is so good I wish they wouldn't do those cuts to her when he's pretending to be her. Keep Vera to the scenes when he thinks he is in the same room as her, imo.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
hosed up how sad I am that the sister-rapist died

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

He's in the preview for next week.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta say that wig does suit Norman real well though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mameluke posted:

Is he supposed to be autistic or something? Like maybe he was a product of incest too? I'm only asking because I saw the guy in another movie and he didn't do any of the stuttering halting awkward stuff he does in this, plus all those scenes like when he brought the flowers to the last supper in S4 make it seem like his mind isn't fully developed.

e: I hope Freddie Highmore takes a break but doesn't stop acting entirely because if this show is any indication at all the kid could be huge

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah I think Caleb being a little "off" is intended. Norma and her son are both mentally ill and I think she mentions in the show her mother suffered as well. One of the things I liked about this show is that Norma's obviously (in my opinion/experience) bipolar but it's never explicitly stated or made canon, it's just something you pick up from her thought processes and behavior.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 1, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

precision posted:

e: I hope Freddie Highmore takes a break but doesn't stop acting entirely because if this show is any indication at all the kid could be huge

He's already cast in a pilot as an autistic doctor.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/freddie-highmore-the-good-doctor-abc-pilot-1201995428/

I kinda hope it fails because it sounds awful to me. I'd love to see Freddy do more for sure, but I can't believe we as a society aren't completely burned out on doctor dramas.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HungryMedusa posted:

He's already cast in a pilot as an autistic doctor.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/freddie-highmore-the-good-doctor-abc-pilot-1201995428/

I kinda hope it fails because it sounds awful to me. I'd love to see Freddy do more for sure, but I can't believe we as a society aren't completely burned out on doctor dramas.

It could be poo poo but it could also be "Young House" which I would be totally OK with.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

precision posted:

It could be poo poo but it could also be "Young House" which I would be totally OK with.

Doogie House-er MD

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Rewatching the original Psycho and two things stick out to me: Norman is always eating candy corn and Sam Loomis looks just like the Sam they cast on Bates Motel.

Now to watch the remake!

edit: Also of note, Anthony Perkins died of AIDS-related pneumonia and his wife died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 2, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Which reminds me, clever of them hiding Rihanna under an umbrella in the premiere.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Chick see Norma's corpse in the living room at the end of last season?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

esperterra posted:

This bummed me out in the bar scene. His Vera/Norma is so good I wish they wouldn't do those cuts to her when he's pretending to be her. Keep Vera to the scenes when he thinks he is in the same room as her, imo.
They did it a couple times last season as a way to illustrate Norman blacking out and becoming Norma(n). It's a drat good impression but I also like seeing Vera do her thing.

Less than 24 hours to go, can't wait for the next episode.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining about more Vera. It would be nice if they focused more on Freddie as Norma in this final season. Hell, even keep the cuts to Vera but minimal.

gently caress I'm hype for tomorrow.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Chick is crazy, I'm really loving him this season.

Romero, nooooo!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chick this season is like if The Dude was a serial killer's lackey.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That episode just went and granted one of my two Bates Motel wishes for this season. Freddie Highmore is excellent-- I had goosebumps for like half the episode. The few scenes Vera had were great as well. Especially when she goes to tell Norman what to do and hands over the gun.

gently caress I love this show. If by the time it ends Chick has become some weird version of Robert Bloch I am down.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

chiming in that this season (and show) is good, even if the first couple seasons are kinda weird. God drat norman has gone off the deep end.

I also want to know what chicks end game is

(edit: I'm watching the 3rd episode at this moment so I may figure that out)

Neurotic Roleplay fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 7, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Chick is so good. He's suddenly become my favorite character.

--Go find mother, I just don't want her to have left the house or something crazy!
--okay

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

esperterra posted:

The few scenes Vera had were great as well. Especially when she goes to tell Norman what to do and hands over the gun.
The turn she did from "you have to KILL HIM" after loading the revolver and then immediately becoming the smiling, loving mother was so sudden that it was kinda jarring. The acting on this show, man.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Did you guys know Chick was the hearing loss guy from Saving Private Ryan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAGUWxoY-Q

Blew my mind.

Also, this show rules.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Chick still an informant or was that just to catch the gunrunners he set up Dylan and Caleb with? Maybe he's using the writer story as plausible deniability for building his case against Norman.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Is Chick still an informant or was that just to catch the gunrunners he set up Dylan and Caleb with? Maybe he's using the writer story as plausible deniability for building his case against Norman.
I'm not sure at this point but I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mameluke posted:

Well this episode makes his fully part of Norma and Normans life, and it is glorious

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God bless Chick, giving Caleb a Viking funeral.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

did norman finally kick Norma out of his head? or was that stare into the camera Norma taking over?

I like this show

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am so excited for things to go up in poo poo.

Despite Chick, Romero, the new sheriff, and Madeleine's husband all circling around Norman, I kind of think it's going to be him constantly driving without a license that'll do him in.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh poo poo, did I call it with Chick?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chick writing Psycho feels like a really hokey idea that I hope the show doesn't follow through with. I feel like his manuscript has potential to be discovered by other characters (maybe Mother rekindling her friendship with Chick, or Dylan seeking him out after learning of Caleb's disappearance).

Speaking of Dylan and Emma, did they get away? Was their appearance in the premiere just to show where they ended up?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The least believable thing in this show is how there's just a line of hot women who can't wait to get into Norman's pants. Romero, sure. Dylan, yes. But Norman? I can only suspend my disbelief so much.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I dunno, I think Norman has a lot of charm that he's forced to show because he's being haunted by Norma so much, and that comes off as attractive to women. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to me, at least.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, me neither. He really does look like a young Anthony Perkins that never hit the growth spurt that made him super handsome.

Besides, Madeleine is stuck in an unhappy marriage with a man who isn't showering her with the kind of attention Norman has been. It's filling that more traditional role she seems to want, and Sam obviously isn't giving her. The dress thing was awkward at first, but I had no problem buying her coming around on it after trying them on-- Norma had great style, after all. She's probably the easiest for me to buy being attracted to Norman in the whole show so far, other than when Emma was crushing hard on him in BFF mode. Some of his flings/etc when he was younger seemed more forced than this, though never enough to take me out of the show.

These girls don't really see the crazy side of him that we know is lurking under the surface, other than in odd little fits or starts, and what they do see of it probably just makes him seem vulnerable and more relatable. Norman Bates has always been a charming character when he isn't dealing with Mother, and Highmore pulls it off well even if his babyface doesn't make it seem as obvious as Perkins may have.

Unrelated; if I'm right about Chick being some weird in universe Robert Bloch I'm still into it, contrived as it may be. It's a fun way to nod toward the book and gives Chick a good reason to be sticking so close to Norman and giving us these scenes of him interacting with a live person while full crazy.

e: phone typos

e2: speaking of Sam, I wonder if we'll get more Rihanna hidden under an umbrella or if we just won't be seeing her again until the finale. It's not like Sam is going to bring her to the motel again, not with Norman so close to his wife. I have a feeling the final episode may be told from her point of view-- stealing the cash, going on the run, hiding out in the motel Sam took her to which she knows is off the beaten path, then the final scenes maybe being her death. I could see them capping the series with such an iconic moment rather than following through with Norman getting caught-- though I would also love to see the show ending on a final shot of his face with a skull overlaid.

I'm still apprehensive about her playing the role, but trying to remain cautiously optimistic.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 17, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

esperterra posted:

Yeah, me neither. He really does look like a young Anthony Perkins that never hit the growth spurt that made him super handsome.

Besides, Madeleine is stuck in an unhappy marriage with a man who isn't showering her with the kind of attention Norman has been. It's filling that more traditional role she seems to want, and Sam obviously isn't giving her. The dress thing was awkward at first, but I had no problem buying her coming around on it after trying them on-- Norma had great style, after all. She's probably the easiest for me to buy being attracted to Norman in the whole show so far, other than when Emma was crushing hard on him in BFF mode. Some of his flings/etc when he was younger seemed more forced than this, though never enough to take me out of the show.

These girls don't really see the crazy side of him that we know is lurking under the surface, other than in odd little fits or starts, and what they do see of it probably just makes him seem vulnerable and more relatable. Norman Bates has always been a charming character when he isn't dealing with Mother, and Highmore pulls it off well even if his babyface doesn't make it seem as obvious as Perkins may have.

Unrelated; if I'm right about Chick being some weird in universe Robert Bloch I'm still into it, contrived as it may be. It's a fun way to nod toward the book and gives Chick a good reason to be sticking so close to Norman and giving us these scenes of him interacting with a live person while full crazy.

e: phone typos

e2: speaking of Sam, I wonder if we'll get more Rihanna hidden under an umbrella or if we just won't be seeing her again until the finale. It's not like Sam is going to bring her to the motel again, not with Norman so close to his wife. I have a feeling the final episode may be told from her point of view-- stealing the cash, going on the run, hiding out in the motel Sam took her to which she knows is off the beaten path, then the final scenes maybe being her death. I could see them capping the series with such an iconic moment rather than following through with Norman getting caught-- though I would also love to see the show ending on a final shot of his face with a skull overlaid.

I'm still apprehensive about her playing the role, but trying to remain cautiously optimistic.

The next episode says something along the lines of Marion steals some money and goes on the run and the following episode is named Marion

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, my original assumption was due to the title of the finale. Good to know tho!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
loving called it. Norman's queer.

Like, I know, serial killer, not good representation, and the same sex attraction can be read as a function of his split personality (which, yeah, still makes him irreducibly queer) but it's honestly pretty liberating for it to be textual.

Like I said back in the Season 4 thread, I think that was where anyway, their original plan when they were shooting the pilot was for Bradley to be a guy. When the network said no, in terms of generating a queer love triangle around Norman, they rewrote the pilot but kept Bradley's name. Turned a male character into a tom boy. I assume they've been trying since then, and could only get away with it in their final season. loving execs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gay here.

I'm really not fond of that reading, that Norman himself is attracted to men. Like it's cool and all that they may have originally planned on Bradley being a dude, but this would be an instance where I'm glad execs said no. So much of his character is built around that deep, deep shame he has thanks to Norma about his intense, sexual attraction to women-- to these whores, as Norma might call them. For Norman the boy or Norman the man to be gay just feels weird to me, personally, but I hold the book and original film near and dear to my heart.

Now, Norman getting down and dirty with some gay boys while dressed up as Mother I can get behind. Maybe he lucked out the first time he went to that bar, and it happened to be gay night. Maybe, subconciously, he knows that as Mother he's still a man in a dress, so he needs to find gay bar to fill certain needs-- but these needs are Norma's, not his.

If it's the showrunner's intention for Norman to be a little gay then cool, good on them, and good on anybody happy for that, but this homo is glad the final product is left ambiguous in that regard.

Rihanna seemed way too relaxed for a woman who just stole a suitcase of cash and went on the run. So far she's hitting my incredibly low expectations-- I really hope she turns it out in her scenes with Freddie.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread