Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If this show were more widely watched, the thinkpieces about the latest episode would be numerous. I'm just glad that they can still throw us some curveballs in the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I didn't take away that Norman is gay. Sleeping with a guy during a Norma blackout felt more about his screwed up feelings about Norma than it did about some repressed sexual attraction that Norman has to dudes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If it wasn't obvious that the end of the episode indicates we're going into territory brought up in the movie, there were two scenes that were lifted straight from Psycho: Norman's meeting with the sheriff and Marion meeting with the two guys who give her the briefcase full of money. Cool little touches.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
And I'm not sure how best to describe my feelings about this week's episode... :munch: :2bong: :rolleyes: :toot: :argh: :golfclap: :stoked: Maybe all of the above? Holy Hell when you realize the writers spent the last however many years leading up to telling their version of events from the movie... so very different and yet so very the same. complete with the mother of all fake outs to spare this version of Marion and kill this verison of Sam. A weakness of the show was how unlikable Sam was :jerkbag: so I don't actually care about Norman killing Sam at Norma's behest. Now if the Norma or an especially lazy sheriff tries to pin the murder on Marion or Madeline, that would suck. Or just make for some great drama. The previews for next week show just how off the deep end this show has become. I love it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Most slept on show of all time. Hell yeah Freddie Highmore.

Norma is so creepy this season

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

god drat what a great ending, my heart was racing throughout that entire episode.

I think norman is more broken now than he was when he thought mother was real.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Best ep of the season so far. I love the little subversion of the famous scene when Marion is in the shower.

Poor Norman, he was so close to breaking Norma's grip on him, now he's completely gone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I do appreciate how they did not make Sam likable at all. He was just a dick and perfect for what they did with him. Holy poo poo Mother what did I do.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My takeaway from every episode of this show is that it wouldn't be nearly as good with anyone but Vera Farmiga playing Norma.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ehud posted:

My takeaway from every episode of this show is that it wouldn't be nearly as good with anyone but Vera Farmiga playing Norma.

Also Freddie Highmore

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is gettin' good. I'm amazed at what this show is doing in its final episodes.

Norman totally killed his psychiatrist. Finding out that his mind is capable of conjuring up a resistance to Norma was pretty drat creepy.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

This show! I don't think I've been bored once these last two seasons.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

yeah when Dylan was at the pharmacy and she said that he'd been missing for a year... i was shocked. has norman been seeing other people in his head besides mother?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I love Norman's version of Norma. I love this show. I love all of you.

3 more episodes.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Norma trying to pin the murder on Madeline was pretty twisted.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

How's Norman getting out of this one?

Only 3 more :ohdear:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Two more. Last night was eight.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

that was a bit anti climactic with chick being shot dead but man I felt that coming

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

that was a bit anti climactic with chick being shot dead but man I felt that coming
I love Chick, but he was getting awfully artsy-fartsy by the end and was kinda asking for it.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Really wish more people were into this show, I never gear about it. I don't watch too much TV so finding something I'm really excited about week by week is really nice, but at least in my circles it didn't really catch on. A couple people remember being excited when it was announced but that's it. But it must have done OK to have made it 5 seasons.

Mondays episode felt like an ending, I'm glad there's two more hours because that's a lot of time to have everything go off the rails. Weirdly I'm rooting for Norman even though he's a moidarer but I don't see any way out for him unless he does it to himself, which I don't think is too far fetched.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Several people I reccomended the show to were turned off by the unnecessary, graphic rape scene in the first episode. The first season was also kind of weak.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend started watching Bates on Netflix and I told him to stick with it until the third season. The first season had way too many dead-end plots, while the second season had less of them but nothing really happened that had a big effect on the rest of the show. Off the top of my head, the only thing in Season 2 that ever came up again was Jordan leaving. And both of them tried to make the origin of Norman Bates into CW-esque high school romance stuff. What really holds the show together in those low points is Vera Farmiga's acting.

The third season is where things really started to get good. It's a slow boil, but boil it does.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Minor nitpick in an otherwise excellent episode, but I don't think you're allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

So who's gonna buy "Norman's Peephole Painting?" 'Cause you can.

I'm glad there wasn't too much trial stuff last night. I was afraid the last 2 episodes would be all in that setting.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I've completely missed this season. Anybody know when it'll be on Netflix?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I've completely missed this season. Anybody know when it'll be on Netflix?
I'm not sure how long they wait before putting up A&E stuff on Netflix. Probably a few months.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm not sure how long they wait before putting up A&E stuff on Netflix. Probably a few months.

Previously it's been about 8 months but I'm hoping it'll be faster since this is the last season.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

Minor nitpick in an otherwise excellent episode, but I don't think you're allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon.
I live here and yeah definitely noticed that too haha.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

so... is Romero gonna end up killing norman? and will we ever see the norman personality come back?

im really excited for the last episode!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

so... is Romero gonna end up killing norman? and will we ever see the norman personality come back?

im really excited for the last episode!

I think that Norma will escape jail and go back to the house, and kill romero like the PI was killed in Psycho. They have the same stairs and have to use them, Dylan then kills his brother

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Man this season has been so well done. The struggle for Norman's brain has just been amazing...can't wait for the last episode to see wtf goes down.

This series is fantastic. I gotta go and watch the original Psycho when it is over.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I'm starting to think the White Pine Bay Sheriffs department aren't very good at their jobs.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

gently caress, that was pretty good.

E: I know Freddie is English but I always forget the actress who played Emma is and it surprises me. Such good acting all around; even Max Thieriot did a good job in that final scene.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

gently caress, that was pretty good.

E: I know Freddie is English but I always forget the actress who played Emma is and it surprises me. Such good acting all around; even Max Thieriot did a good job in that final scene.

Yeah, that finale was really good. That final scene managed to be grossly macabre and genuinely moving, which is impressive but something this series has pulled off its entire run.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao was I the only one wondering right up to the last minute

"...so when's he going to move to the big city and become a finance guy..?"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Pretty good finale. I'm happy they included a scene showing things were ok with Emma and Dylan. The rest was inevitable but I'd be pretty dissatisfied if they didn't make it through.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was morbidly hoping Emma and Dylan's daughter would look directly into the camera and make a Norman face.

Good finale. The last supper was loving grim, and I'm glad Dylan threw up because someone had to.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Great end. It's amazing how they kept Norman as a sympathetic character up until the end.

Also that meeting between Dylan and his former partner in the weed racket had to have been there as a nod to the fact that recreational weed was illegal in Oregon when the show started, but now it's legal.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So it's finally done. That was quite a ride. I still feel bad for Norma, she wanted to protect her son and get him healthy but apparently she didn't see how far he'd gone. I said it before, but there's such an interesting contrast to the show before and after her death. The show goes from the quirky adventures of a fashionable single mother trying to balance running her own small business and taking care of her mentally ill son to a disturbed young man's struggle to keep his psyche from peeling away like an onion.

As far as the ending oges for some reason I was expecting them to end it much closer to the movie. The movies ending scene was always my favorite and I was looking forward to seeing Freddie High-more do it.

I'm fine with the ending we got though. I feel like this was a pretty solid and satisfyingly complete 5 season show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend was surprised that Freddie Highmore is British, but he was Charlie Bucket in that bad Tim Burton-ized Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, so I knew he was some for'ner coming over to take 'MERICAN ACTING JERBS FROM 'MERICANS :bahgawd: from somewhere else.

Bates Motel probably won't get any notice from Emmy voters, and that's a shame, because Highmore and Vera Farmiga were great.

• Locked thread