Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wouldn't skip any of this show on a first watch, honestly. They struggle some to balance storylines and a lot of it misses in the early going, but it's absolutely worth it to build out the cast members who aren't Norman and Norma. Emma especially has most of her screen time front loaded in the early seasons.

Besides, Vera is amazing throughout and it's worth it for her alone, really. Highmore as well, with Norman's descent from sweet, weird boy into insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

get that OUT of my face posted:

Freddie Highmore is great at imitating the dismissive attitude Norma has.

This bummed me out in the bar scene. His Vera/Norma is so good I wish they wouldn't do those cuts to her when he's pretending to be her. Keep Vera to the scenes when he thinks he is in the same room as her, imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Which reminds me, clever of them hiding Rihanna under an umbrella in the premiere.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining about more Vera. It would be nice if they focused more on Freddie as Norma in this final season. Hell, even keep the cuts to Vera but minimal.

gently caress I'm hype for tomorrow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That episode just went and granted one of my two Bates Motel wishes for this season. Freddie Highmore is excellent-- I had goosebumps for like half the episode. The few scenes Vera had were great as well. Especially when she goes to tell Norman what to do and hands over the gun.

gently caress I love this show. If by the time it ends Chick has become some weird version of Robert Bloch I am down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh poo poo, did I call it with Chick?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, me neither. He really does look like a young Anthony Perkins that never hit the growth spurt that made him super handsome.

Besides, Madeleine is stuck in an unhappy marriage with a man who isn't showering her with the kind of attention Norman has been. It's filling that more traditional role she seems to want, and Sam obviously isn't giving her. The dress thing was awkward at first, but I had no problem buying her coming around on it after trying them on-- Norma had great style, after all. She's probably the easiest for me to buy being attracted to Norman in the whole show so far, other than when Emma was crushing hard on him in BFF mode. Some of his flings/etc when he was younger seemed more forced than this, though never enough to take me out of the show.

These girls don't really see the crazy side of him that we know is lurking under the surface, other than in odd little fits or starts, and what they do see of it probably just makes him seem vulnerable and more relatable. Norman Bates has always been a charming character when he isn't dealing with Mother, and Highmore pulls it off well even if his babyface doesn't make it seem as obvious as Perkins may have.

Unrelated; if I'm right about Chick being some weird in universe Robert Bloch I'm still into it, contrived as it may be. It's a fun way to nod toward the book and gives Chick a good reason to be sticking so close to Norman and giving us these scenes of him interacting with a live person while full crazy.

e: phone typos

e2: speaking of Sam, I wonder if we'll get more Rihanna hidden under an umbrella or if we just won't be seeing her again until the finale. It's not like Sam is going to bring her to the motel again, not with Norman so close to his wife. I have a feeling the final episode may be told from her point of view-- stealing the cash, going on the run, hiding out in the motel Sam took her to which she knows is off the beaten path, then the final scenes maybe being her death. I could see them capping the series with such an iconic moment rather than following through with Norman getting caught-- though I would also love to see the show ending on a final shot of his face with a skull overlaid.

I'm still apprehensive about her playing the role, but trying to remain cautiously optimistic.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 17, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, my original assumption was due to the title of the finale. Good to know tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gay here.

I'm really not fond of that reading, that Norman himself is attracted to men. Like it's cool and all that they may have originally planned on Bradley being a dude, but this would be an instance where I'm glad execs said no. So much of his character is built around that deep, deep shame he has thanks to Norma about his intense, sexual attraction to women-- to these whores, as Norma might call them. For Norman the boy or Norman the man to be gay just feels weird to me, personally, but I hold the book and original film near and dear to my heart.

Now, Norman getting down and dirty with some gay boys while dressed up as Mother I can get behind. Maybe he lucked out the first time he went to that bar, and it happened to be gay night. Maybe, subconciously, he knows that as Mother he's still a man in a dress, so he needs to find gay bar to fill certain needs-- but these needs are Norma's, not his.

If it's the showrunner's intention for Norman to be a little gay then cool, good on them, and good on anybody happy for that, but this homo is glad the final product is left ambiguous in that regard.

Rihanna seemed way too relaxed for a woman who just stole a suitcase of cash and went on the run. So far she's hitting my incredibly low expectations-- I really hope she turns it out in her scenes with Freddie.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread