Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
real talk: right after i graduate from grad school, my aunt and uncle have promised to pay for a cross-country rail trip in a sleeper car, and even if it's a shittier cruise i'm still excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

alternative fact for the next 8 years: FRA over-reach, positive train control, and unions are why rail sucks in america

IDOT Chicago to St. Louis high speed rail

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Acela Corridor rail is cool and not too bad, I take it all the time. Best way to get from DC to NYC imo, regional is $49 if you book in advance and takes about 3.5 hours. No airport hassle at all.

Regional rail in the NE is pretty good too, especially around NYC. I'd take NJT/SEPTA to Philly on weekends, that was cheap and easy.

Obviously nothing near European rail but it's something.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

shirts and skins posted:

Acela Corridor rail is cool and not too bad, I take it all the time. Best way to get from DC to NYC imo, regional is $49 if you book in advance and takes about 3.5 hours. No airport hassle at all.

Regional rail in the NE is pretty good too, especially around NYC. I'd take NJT/SEPTA to Philly on weekends, that was cheap and easy.

Obviously nothing near European rail but it's something.

European rail doesn't operate over the distances we cover in Amerca. Our nation is islands of civilization inbetween seas of corn, whereas their continent is a zerg hive of welfare statists

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My Imaginary GF posted:

European rail doesn't operate over the distances we cover in Amerca. Our nation is islands of civilization inbetween seas of corn, whereas their continent is a zerg hive of welfare statists

I will say, it does make me facepalm when people say "OH, NATIONWIDE HSR IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE :downs:". It's not. There's a few limited corridors where you have the population density to pull it off. NEC (already mentioned) is one. Upper Midwest (namely Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan) is another, and the entirety of California. That's not even getting into overhead (:haw:) costs to upgrade the lines for HSR or the opposition from the freight companies who have a lot more clout in congress.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's definitely feasible to at least cover the coastlines and great lakes in high-speed rail and then we could upgrade the snail rail to inland population centers to be slightly less terrible

but again proposals and funding for a lot of these areas already exist and have just been blocked by lovely regional politicians. we gotta get their asses out

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

In the rest of the world trains don't have to fend off cowboys, OP.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fullhouse posted:

it's definitely feasible to at least cover the coastlines and great lakes in high-speed rail and then we could upgrade the snail rail to inland population centers to be slightly less terrible

but again proposals and funding for a lot of these areas already exist and have just been blocked by lovely regional politicians. we gotta get their asses out

NIMBYs almost sunk a higher speed, intercity effort in Florida. Thankfully, they failed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

European rail doesn't operate over the distances we cover in Amerca.
yes it does lol you can get a train direct from London to the arse end of China.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Even the relatively short Eurostar runs over 3 countries and has separate transformers for the three (3) different power systems it travels over. We can do it, so can you guys!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jBrereton posted:

Even the relatively short Eurostar runs over 3 countries and has separate transformers for the three (3) different power systems it travels over. We can do it, so can you guys!

What's the total distance though?

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

I thought this would have already been linked because :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbEfzuCLoAQ

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

China isn't European, dumbass.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Weeping Wound posted:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

That's freight. America has the rest of the world beat for freight rail already.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Weeping Wound posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

China isn't European, dumbass.
The train isn't going over the loving sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

What's the total distance though?
Depends on the route, but a few hundred miles for Eurostar from London to Brussels/Paris/Marseilles/Avignon (including a fun undersea adventure in the Channel Tunnel) which terminates at stations you can then access the French TGV, German ICE, Spanish AVE and so on for a very long-distance high speed network across Europe.

• Locked thread