Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hello video gaming friends!

Shortly before January the 1st I decided to turn 2017 into a themed gaming year to see if I could stick to certain genres depending on the month. I have a huge backlog and for some reason keep returning to certain games. I thought that limiting myself each month to a specific type of game within my backlog might help me clear some, and show me some gems that I had completely missed without realising it.

To aid in each month's gaming, I enlisted the help of the forums in re titling each month to the specific theme and when the theme was correct, I trawled through my gaming lists to find those I'd barely touched that fit the bill.

----------------------------------------------
The 12 Months of Gaming

Japanuary (This post):
During this month I limit myself to jRPGs and any game that has primarily been created by a Japanese developer. (It turns out I have quite a few of these!)

FPSbruary:
First Person Shooters only. One of the genres that I play a lot. I have 2500+ hours in Team Fortress 2. I miss playing it and who knows where the game will be in 2018!

March!:
Real Time Strategy and Grand Strategy games. I have a feeling this will be entertaining in my ineptitude.

April Scours:
Metroidvanias and exploration type platformers.

May Day!:
Twin stick shooters and shoot-em-ups. A return to a classic kind of genre that I played a ton as a kid but left as I got older.

Randomly Junerated:
Roguelikes and procedurally generated games. This month will probably be frustrating with the kinds of games they are, but maybe I'll get even better at a few!

Boo-ly:
Scary/spooky/fear inducing games in the Summer. This might be exceptionally entertaining for people to watch as I shriek like a girl.

Au-gust:
Golden Oldies. Basically, games that were released in 2007 (of which there were incredible amounts) only. I will see how gaming has changed in a decade.

Searchtember:
Point and clicks, as well as hidden object games. I might finally get around to completing Fate of Atlantis.

Coin-optober:
Arcade Games. I will probably try to play some Mame games and such if I can do it legally.

Novelember:
Visual Novels/Story centric. Possibly the most embarassing month of all.

Indiecember:
Games by indie studios only. Nothing triple A, double A or single A.

-----------------------------

Japanuary

Welcome to Japanuary. I started the thread a little late in the month, but I have been keeping to my resolution. I got a PS4 for Christmas with a ton of games and so that has joined my ridiculous steam account. This months games are:

Metal Slug Anthology.

So far this has been a blast. It's tough as nails and I die a heck of a lot, but I understand why I used to see the arcade machine crowded with people back when I was a youngster. I'm playing it on my PS4 so I'm not sure how good the emulation is compared, but I am having a ton of fun. I completed the first recently and need to move onto the second.

Cave Story.

Been playing this on the PC. It's cute as heck and feels solid. I keep falling off of jumps, though, but I put that down to my own hand to eye coordination. I've played about 2 hours and just gotten past the eggs and the buzzsaw on the floor.

Megaman Legacy Collection.

I suck at these. I truly, truly suck. I feel as though I'm not sure which boss to go for first, so think I might be accidentally gimping myself. I'm assuming there are easy paths through but I do not know them. I'm playing on PS4 and have given 1 stage from each a try. In the fourth was the only time that I reached the boss of that stage. I think this is something I'm going to have to push myself to complete.

Strider.

Holy moly this has been a nice surprise! I love this game. I love it to bits and am finding it amazingly good fun. I used to play the first on my Megadrive all the time, even more than Sonic, and although I could never complete stage 4, I loved getting there. This new version is truly ace and has me hooked!

Bloodborne.

OK. This is the big one. Bloodborne is kicking my rear end. Bloodborne is crushing me when I play it. I have spent just over two hours playing and still have not made it to the second skeleton lamp. I'm getting better at stopping the guys between the first one and wherever the second one is but I often lose focus and panic. This game is good, but I am bad. I will get better at it and I can definitely see why people love it, I'm just so bad.

I have also made a pact that whenever I play Bloodborne I will stream the game. I have a PS4 camera and headset, and want to broadcast my woes for the world. It's bad, like DSP bad. Hopefully it's also fun to watch. I do plan on streaming all games when I can and if there is interest I will let people know rather than just doing it and seeing if people join.

Next Month:
For our FPSes I will be playing at least Titanfall2 and Destiny on PS4. (Have not touched either of those!) And I will complete DooM on PC. Also Palpek is allowed to give me a six hour if he sees me boot up Team Fortress 2. I need to ignore that dang game!

If anyone else wants to play along and try similar, then I'd love to hear in this thread!

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Perhaps next month you can just play Overwatch like everyone else who used to play TF2

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Perhaps next month you can just play Overwatch like everyone else who used to play TF2

If I hadn't already then that would be good! However I am trying to play games I've barely touched. I already have a good 60 hours in Overwatch.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGames posted:

If I hadn't already then that would be good! However I am trying to play games I've barely touched. I already have a good 60 hours in Overwatch.

Your goal should be to reach 2500 hours of Overwatch in just one month!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Do you have time for more FPS games? There were some really good titles released in recent years. Gunslinger, Metro: Last Light and Wolfenstein: TNO come to mind but I don't know what you've already played and if you're planning on buying additional titles or if you prefer to keep to your backlog.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
We're a ways away but Boo-ly is extremely my poo poo, and I'll have a ton of recommendations / words to write.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I'm at the same place you are with Bloodborne, but i'm usually playing with people around and can't give it the focus it seems to require. Could also be bad at games.

It's just so fun and the art style is so great. And when you actually kill something after trying for 6 hours it's very rewarding. Just wish i could find that second lamp !

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Glad to hear you're enjoying Strider! I had an absolute blast with it when it was free on PS4 and even took the time to hunt down some of the extra costumes (which almost all look really great). I thought the combat was a lot of fun, very frantic and flashy. It's a pretty divisive game though. I understand the criticisms even if they didn't detract from my experience even a little.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

VideoGames posted:

Next Month:
For our FPSes I will be playing at least Titanfall2 and Destiny on PS4. (Have not touched either of those!) And I will complete DooM on PC. Also Palpek is allowed to give me a six hour if he sees me boot up Team Fortress 2. I need to ignore that dang game!

If anyone else wants to play along and try similar, then I'd love to hear in this thread!

Come back to CS:GO!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Megaman Legacy Collection.

I suck at these. I truly, truly suck. I feel as though I'm not sure which boss to go for first, so think I might be accidentally gimping myself. I'm assuming there are easy paths through but I do not know them. I'm playing on PS4 and have given 1 stage from each a try. In the fourth was the only time that I reached the boss of that stage. I think this is something I'm going to have to push myself to complete.

1 and 2 are pretty brutal; the games didn't really hit their stride in terms of difficulty until 3. Additionally, you might have an easier time if you look up the optimal boss order for each game. I've been playing the series for as long as I can remember, and even I did that.

Last but not least, I know this might seem obvious, but make sure you're using the slide in 3 onwards!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There's not a single jrpg in there so far :colbert:

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Admit that you only made this thread because you were proud of the Au-gust joke.

A bit of advice on Bloodborne tho, try not to take huge weeklong breaks in between playing it if you aren't a big Fromsoft junkie. (Especially if you're playing different games with different control styles in the interim) I remember doing this with Dark Souls and finding out new and exciting ways to get frustrated because I had forgotten the control scheme or where I was going next. Glad you're giving it another shot tbh, Bloodborne is rad as hell.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Was it by design that Novelember be the same month as Nanowrimo?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The secret to Bloodborne is that you can run past the enemies most of the times. I'm not saying it's the way to play the entire game but it's definitely the way to make a beginner's life easier before you get more proficient with the combat. This way you learn to observe what the enemies actually do instead of being conditioned to fighting them and you can unlock your first shortcuts, lanterns and learn the map layout way faster this way. Too many people approach the game as if they have to fight every single mob they meet and then they bounce off this seemingly sisyphean task when they have to do it over and over. The game really isn't that hard if you chill out about enemy presence more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Hell one could say you play a role in every game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hope you've got time for some pinball

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

Hell one could say you play a role in every game.

...Mega Man's Japanese???

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does Dragon Quest Builders count as a jrpg? Because I forgot to put that in the main list and that's my most played this month so far.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*bangs gavel*

I'll allow it!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

VideoGames posted:

Does Dragon Quest Builders count as a jrpg? Because I forgot to put that in the main list and that's my most played this month so far.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to hear more impressions of metal slug pls

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Themed months like this are a pretty sweet idea TBH. Have fun!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As cool as this is you made January the Japanese Gaming Month when Persona 4 is coming out in April what have you dooooone

2016 was a great year for both JRPGs and FPS though. It's the first year I played and enjoyed multiple FPS games again mainly because they're back to being an actual genre with variety instead of everyone trying to copy one of the popular games.

Things you should play in February that came out in 2016 alone
Doom, Doom is so good
Dishonored 2. Technically an FPS even if you can go the whole game without shooting anything
Overwatch, which you mentioned playing already

January: Honestly Bloodborne is the type of game that will swallow your entire January if you let it. It's a great game but I feel like it's the type of game where you decide "this is what I'm playing now" and your PS4 just becomes the Bloodborne Box for a couple of months. Also if you're going for JRPG month, like I said there's Persona 5 coming out which you'll probably want to play later in April.

Looking ahead the good thing about 2007 is Mario Galaxy. It also has the flawed first entries in games that eventually became much better which are interesting in a "huh that's how it was" way more than actually being good games - Witcher, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed were all 2007.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Holy crap, Witcher 1 was 2007? Good lord it must have been janky as hell even for its time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Holy crap, Witcher 1 was 2007? Good lord it must have been janky as hell even for its time.

Yeah only truly insane people actually like Witcher 1.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Palpek posted:

The secret to Bloodborne is that you can run past the enemies most of the times. I'm not saying it's the way to play the entire game but it's definitely the way to make a beginner's life easier before you get more proficient with the combat. This way you learn to observe what the enemies actually do instead of being conditioned to fighting them and you can unlock your first shortcuts, lanterns and learn the map layout way faster this way. Too many people approach the game as if they have to fight every single mob they meet and then they bounce off this seemingly sisyphean task when they have to do it over and over. The game really isn't that hard if you chill out about enemy presence more.
The beginning area of Bloodborne where he's stuck is probably the biggest exception to the ability to just run past enemies, though. It's designed to teach the basics of combat and drawing enemies into 1-on-1 encounters rather than taking on groups. It would be somewhat difficult for a beginner to run past the bonfire area where there are like 10 enemies gathered together in a small space. More difficult than killing them, anyway.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The secret to Bloodborne is to play Bloodborne without knowing all of the secrets to Bloodborne.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

In Training posted:

Actually, it's good, despite being built on top of Neverwinter Nights.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love videogames

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

In Training posted:

I liked Witcher 1 when it came out, although I would never play it again. It might be worth it as an historical curiosity, and you can definitely see the origins of the style behind W2 and W3, but I'm not sure I could recommend it to anyone who isn't insane today. Probably better to watch a well-edited LP, honestly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I have a long-standing dream of completing the first three Metal Slug games on one credit. Nearly there on the first one, somewhere in the middle with the sequels. It's a learning process.

Needless to say, they're all quite different games when you're determined to beat them as "Cheaply" as possible, as opposed to (virtual) quarter-spamming.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Looper posted:

My year of gaming is going to be finishing DQ7 and playing 8.

:(

e: This is a pretty cool idea though, I don't think I'd ever be able to do it myself because sometimes I go days or weeks without touching a game.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 25, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Metal Slug is an unending classic. The animation is still fun to watch over 20 years later.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bad Seafood posted:

I have a long-standing dream of completing the first three Metal Slug games on one credit. Nearly there on the first one, somewhere in the middle with the sequels. It's a learning process.

Needless to say, they're all quite different games when you're determined to beat them as "Cheaply" as possible, as opposed to (virtual) quarter-spamming.

I've gotten pretty good at doing that in Metal Slug 3. I do die but I never used a continue.

Metal Slug 3's last level however is my biggest challenge. Such a loooooooooong stage.

McTavvy
Jan 25, 2017
I love this idea as a way to be able to reduce a backlog and play interesting and new games that may have otherwise been ignored. I can't count the number of games I've bought on sales but never played...Seriously though, I love this idea and I am totally down for playing along and discussing the games as you play them. I'll caveat one part of this, I'll either play games I already own or that I can get for cheap. Don't want to break the bank too bad! I'll be following this thread throughout the year.

McTavvy
Jan 25, 2017

In Training posted:

I guess I'm truly insane :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I spent about 3 hours on Dragon Quest Builders. It's like a better version of Minecraft in every way, but just exceptionally sweet. What a great game!!

Tomorrow night I planon streaming some Bloodborne! Thursday night Bloodborne party.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dishonored 2. Technically an FPS even if you can go the whole game without shooting anything

Palpek posted:

Metro: Last Light

Technically I've not played Dishonoured 1 or Metro 2033. So those are on my list too!

McTavvy
Jan 25, 2017

VideoGames posted:

Last night I spent about 3 hours on Dragon Quest Builders. It's like a better version of Minecraft in every way, but just exceptionally sweet. What a great game!!

Tomorrow night I planon streaming some Bloodborne! Thursday night Bloodborne party.

Technically I've not played Dishonoured 1 or Metro 2033. So those are on my list too!

You are in for a treat with Dishonored 1. Hell, maybe I'll do another play through next month.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Shindragon posted:

I've gotten pretty good at doing that in Metal Slug 3. I do die but I never used a continue.

Metal Slug 3's last level however is my biggest challenge. Such a loooooooooong stage.
Deaths are acceptable, wasting money is not.

Got started with Metal Slug 3, trying to beat it on one credit, then went back and decided to try my hand at the original and X. I actually consider X the hardest of the three since it throws so many enemies at you, while occasionally demanding you make exact jumps to proceed. I regularly tap out around the boss of the second level. I've fared better with 3, making it all the way up to the start of the fourth level - there was much rejoycing the day I beat Jupiter King. The infamous last level isn't even a concern of mine yet.

The original, though, I can get about halfway through the last level before throwing in the towel. Sometimes. The third level's a bit of a bottleneck. Either I die there or I make it all the way to the finale (to die there). Still holding out hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the final bosses on all metal slug games have always been my brick wall to one-credit completions. the games themselves can be a little tricky but i've never felt they're truly unfair. the last bosses, however, invariably are difficult to do a decent amount of damage to. they have some nasty attacks sure, but whether they're just annoying to attack (like morden is in 1) or just have an absolute boatload of health and relentless attacks (like the alien endboss in 3), that's always where i just get completely shredded.

• Locked thread