Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Trump's blustering makes me nervous about the health of the economy. How long do you think before the markets go belly up? Is that possibility even likely enough to consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
if you listened to the people who said "SELL YOUR STOCKS NOW!!!!!" on the night of november 8th, you would have lost money

fools try to time the market

to answer your question though, :shrug:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the best thing to prepare for an economic crash is to just get to know your neighbors, learn a skill or two (how to use hand tools, how to fix an engine, whatever), do some exercise, keep some bottles of water and canned/dry food in a safe place

nothing special, no bug-out-bag, none of that poo poo, because unless you're already away from civilization before the crash hits you ain't getting out

make friends with your neighbors, learn a skill, get in shape, have some supplies, then live your life normally

that's it

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

oh yeah also

if you're really super worried do all that stuff above and then also buy a couple of geiger counters and learn to use them then store them somewhere

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's been in trouble for quite a while now, but the fundamentals of the global economy are so warped that there's no telling how long it'll be able to hold on

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Trump's blustering makes me nervous about the health of the economy.
Don't be a mug and fret about "the health of the economy" like a trained peasant, stick to worrying about you and your economy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be really strong right up until the apocalypse.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
no, getting rid of trade deals and tossing around lots of tariffs is insanely good for economies OP, you're not gonna believe how great the economy will be in 4 years

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Please dear God PLEASE

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

inshallah, op

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
We're due

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

reminder that the arrival of the great depression was a comically unpredictable affair when all of the factors responsible (massive wealth inequality, unprecedented corporate welfare, desertifying farmland, lack of social programs) went on for long enough to be dismissed by everyone except people with one functioning empathy brain cell, right up until the economy flat loving froze all of a sudden because of one aforementioned factors hitting their critical point and the value of the USD went down, down, down

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Jan 23, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if we are extremely lucky, the global economy will only collapse after enough damage is done to prevent it from ever recovering

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we'll probably have half a dozen minor recessions in the next decade but the real crash is pretty far off

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Trump's blustering makes me nervous about the health of the economy. How long do you think before the markets go belly up? Is that possibility even likely enough to consider?

Just because your abeula lost the election doesn't mean the world is coming to an end. I'm sure it feels that way sometimes, but keep your chins up, it's gonna be ok!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
im pretty sure global capitalism has been convulsing and slowly imploding since 2007/8, hence, president hitler.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lol if you don't assume there's always a crash looming, just lol

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Agean90 posted:

Lol if you don't assume there's always a crash looming, just lol

agreed, you should immediately panic, do something stupid

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

cargo cult posted:

im pretty sure global capitalism has been convulsing and slowly imploding since 2007/8, hence, president hitler.

Maybe that should be the new leftist mantra "Global Capitalism, slowly imploding since 5000 BC"

any day now, the glorious workers revolution will come, set your watch to it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool posted:

Maybe that should be the new leftist mantra "Global Capitalism, slowly imploding since 5000 BC"

several millennia of command economies doesn't really count though

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gobbagool posted:

agreed, you should immediately panic, do something stupid

tottaly, especially if I can make no eu4 off it

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

cargo cult posted:

Mature economies haven't been able to generate decent long-term growth without inflating bubbles for several decades now. 2008 is just the moment that this became impossible to ignore any longer.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

because you think that ancient economies were closer in nature to...the soviet union than free economies? please explain, i need a laugh to counter the fact that the pats are in the goddamned super bowl again

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

Mature economies haven't been able to generate decent long-term growth without inflating bubbles for several decades now. 2008 is just the moment that this became impossible to ignore any longer.

Noted economist Helsing sinks a truth dagger into the heart of free economic interaction! surely his che tshirt will be seen as cool again now!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

gobbagool posted:

because you think that ancient economies were closer in nature to...the soviet union than free economies? please explain, i need a laugh to counter the fact that the pats are in the goddamned super bowl again

capitalism has only existed since the ~1700s in any form and global capitalism is an even more recent phenomenon

ur dumb

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:lol: what the gently caress is "free economic interaction"?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

gobbagool posted:

It would help if capitalism had existed before the early modern period first.

"It wasn't the soviet union therefore it was capitalism" - someone who has not a single inkling of a clue about economic history

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Helsing posted:

:lol: what the gently caress is "free economic interaction"?

any economic system not based on open markets and financial manipulation is slave labor, hth

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

No you see any time two people bartered anything they were freely interacting therefore capitalism is eternal

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"People are making stuff and exchanging it? Capitalism"

Capitalism transcends the human condition, everything is capitalism really.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I bartered with the woman in my basement and told her that if she put the lotion on her skin she wouldn't get the hose again. Thanks to this free interaction the GDP of my abandoned well has increased by 400%.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Sharing filth, disease and squalor isn't really an economy.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool posted:

yes, kings ordering assets to be surrendered to them is free market, now here's your urine drink

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Everyone knows Rome's empire was based on strict free market principles. They never would have fallen if they hadn't debased their currency and inflated away it's value.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The mongol empire was really just an early attempt at globalism to open the eurasian markets for the free flow of capital.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Agnosticnixie posted:

The mongol empire was really just an early attempt at globalism to open the eurasian markets for the free flow of capital.
the art of the deal is showing skull carvings with pigs blood all over them to get fledgling nations to poo poo their pants and then have a good laugh over it as they hand their assets to you

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

I bartered with the woman in my basement and told her that if she put the lotion on her skin she wouldn't get the hose again. Thanks to this free interaction the GDP of my abandoned well has increased by 400%.

Coming from you I'm 100% sure that's accurate. God help her, first for being held prisoner by you, second to have to listen to you. I'm sure when you're done raping her you explain to her how dreamy uncle joe was and how Venezuela is paradise now that they finally kicked the filthy capitalists out

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

Everyone knows Rome's empire was based on strict free market principles. They never would have fallen if they hadn't debased their currency and inflated away it's value.

The soviet union was surely a worker's paradise, y/n?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fief/serfdom is the free market economic model our society should strive for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

fief/serfdom is the free market economic model our society should strive for

whatever keeps you up to your eyes in anime, because you're a very well adjusted adult

• Locked thread