Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

OWLS! posted:

It is in china
due to how their odd state-capitalist economic system works, it's going to work strangely enough there that most of the brunt will actually be absorbed by the corporations instead of the people

china laughing at the united states from the top down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

SpaceGoku posted:

no, the soviet union was merely an example of state capitalism

Stating edgy counterfactuals does not make them non-counterfactual, comrade. Check back with Borneo jimmy for better technique

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

due to how their odd state-capitalist economic system works, it's going to work strangely enough there that most of the brunt will actually be absorbed by the corporations instead of the people

If you think that won't cause the party to lose the mandate of heaven, loving lol.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

OWLS! posted:

If you think that won't cause the party to lose the mandate of heaven, loving lol.
they've weathered mao and two straight recessions trying to adopt free-market capitalism before settling for state-owned capitalism, they'll weather corporations making GBS threads their pants

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

china laughing at the united states from the top down

Yep.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

gobbagool posted:

Stating edgy counterfactuals does not make them non-counterfactual, comrade. Check back with Borneo jimmy for better technique

mfw someone defends capitalism without even knowing what makes an economy capitalist

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpaceGoku posted:

mfw someone defends capitalism without even knowing what makes an economy capitalist

"This is the fourth election we've had this century, and we haven't gone anywhere yet."

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Hold on op gonna check my economic status/prediction device.

Imminent? Don't count on it
Inevitable? It is decidedly so
Will it result in something better? Better not tell you now
Is capitalism going to fail? Signs point to yes

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

There will probably be a bubble forming soon. I wouldn't sell yet but be ready

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty cool how my ability to eat non-catfood items in retirement is materially controlled by the whims of the dollar chasing fucksticks on Wall Street

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

There will probably be a bubble forming soon. I wouldn't sell yet but be ready

there's like three bubbles out there, the biggest one of which is the carbon bubble, which when it pops is like the yellowstone supervolcano, and its collapse will take regimes down with it including the US regime

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Duscat posted:

there's like three bubbles out there, the biggest one of which is the carbon bubble, which when it pops is like the yellowstone supervolcano, and its collapse will take regimes down with it including the US regime

jokes on you our soda supplies will never run dry

ha ha but seriously the entire world economy will be fuuuuucked when Trump defaults on the debt and the us bond is suddenly worthless so comparatively speaking it doesn't matter (much like everything else)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's definitely some troubling red flags, like the fact that none of the top 20 biggest global shipping companies reported a profit for 2016, the massively underfunded state employee pensions across the country, etc.

Basically everything is fine

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they've weathered mao and two straight recessions trying to adopt free-market capitalism before settling for state-owned capitalism, they'll weather corporations making GBS threads their pants

it's very easy for an anime marxist to say that china "weathered" those things from behind your keyboard somewhere in a first world nation. diminishing the suffering of 2nd and 3rd world workers seems to be something that internet anime marxists do best in fact. It's almost like you're in love with a notion rather than reality

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
If I had to guess, I would say short-term no, long-term yes

From my perspective, it seems like whenever a Republican administration takes over, a lot of short term fixes go into place that fixes the economy for now and screw it over years later

So maybe in four to eight years we might have a bad recession but for now the economy should actually be improving a bit

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gobbagool posted:

it's very easy for an anime marxist to say that china "weathered" those things from behind your keyboard somewhere in a first world nation. diminishing the suffering of 2nd and 3rd world workers seems to be something that internet anime marxists do best in fact. It's almost like you're in love with a notion rather than reality

meanwhile diminishing the suffering of 1st world workers is something that everyone can get behind, because if someone dies from a preventable illness due to not having access to healthcare, well they should have just moved to California and started a business and bootstrapped themselves into the middle class

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gobbagool posted:

Who gives a poo poo! Kill their workers and bring the factories back!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why do American workers have to pretend to give a poo poo about raising some poor slob out of poverty when they clearly would never give a gently caress about our families? It's a zero-sum game and it's nice to see people waking up to that fact. I care more about the white, black, Asian, Native American, etc. people in my own loving country more than I'll ever care about some abstract notion of lifting the world up through self flagellation.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Trade isn't zero sum.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

Trade isn't zero sum.

Yeah, thanks, I got an economics degree too. Trade as currently implemented is zero sum from a worker's perspective, which is the only perspective that matters.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

free trade is globalized trickle-down. we suffer all of the losses and business owners reap all of the gains

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

probably. but idk if it'll come from here or from somewhere else. like germany, their banks are in pretty bad shape lately

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm glad Trump is going to crush the Chinese.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Trump is probably going to have a few quarters of solid growth, overheat the economy, and send us into an unimaginable death-spiral that will only stop when the bodies stop falling from skyscrapers in NYC, imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there's a nonzero chance we go to war with china in the next four years. all those people saying hillary's foreign policy would be worse are a bunch of dumbasses

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

call to action posted:

Why do American workers have to pretend to give a poo poo about raising some poor slob out of poverty when they clearly would never give a gently caress about our families? It's a zero-sum game and it's nice to see people waking up to that fact. I care more about the white, black, Asian, Native American, etc. people in my own loving country more than I'll ever care about some abstract notion of lifting the world up through self flagellation.

This. So this.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's going to be a surge of deficit spending, followed by drastic cuts to government funded services. This will result in a few years of significant positive growth that will be entirely reversed when we go back to war for oil, leaving sustainable options years behind because hey, it's cheap enough to drive your Ford. The US Sovereign debt rating will be cut, interest rates will outpace inflation, and we enter another worldwide recession by 2022.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

call to action posted:

Yeah, thanks, I got an economics degree too. Trade as currently implemented is zero sum from a worker's perspective, which is the only perspective that matters.

Stop blaming other countries for that an accept some responsibility for fucks sake. Every country has its problems but some other advanced economies have managed to continue being competitive exporters without inflicting the kind of social damage that Americans inflicted on the rustbelt. Different economies choose to interface with global trade differently. America intentionally chose a path that would hurt its own working class and yet most Americans kept voting for those parties, probably cause they were more worried about abortions and school busing. Chinese factory workers aren't responsible for pissed of blue collar Americans enthusiastically supporting anti-worker politicians for decade after decade while getting nothing to show for it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

Stop blaming other countries for that an accept some responsibility for fucks sake. Every country has its problems but some other advanced economies have managed to continue being competitive exporters without inflicting the kind of social damage that Americans inflicted on the rustbelt. Different economies choose to interface with global trade differently. America intentionally chose a path that would hurt its own working class and yet most Americans kept voting for those parties, probably cause they were more worried about abortions and school busing. Chinese factory workers aren't responsible for pissed of blue collar Americans enthusiastically supporting anti-worker politicians for decade after decade while getting nothing to show for it.

I've taken all the responsibility I can take, personally. I vote left and caucus left, and I've supported the few union workers at my own workplace. Stop pretending that American workers have any real say in any of this, there hasn't been a real worker's choice in the US for decades.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ScrubLeague posted:

There's going to be a surge of deficit spending, followed by drastic cuts to government funded services. This will result in a few years of significant positive growth that will be entirely reversed when we go back to war for oil, leaving sustainable options years behind because hey, it's cheap enough to drive your Ford. The US Sovereign debt rating will be cut, interest rates will outpace inflation, and we enter another worldwide recession by 2022.

Why would the US go to war for Oil? You're aware that Oil production in the US has expanded dramatically since the last time you read a newspaper, aren't you? You really want to have an old fashioned freakout, go google "fracking"

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Cheney 2 is going to be SOS.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ScrubLeague posted:

Cheney 2 is going to be SOS.

It's ironic given all the 'no blood for oil' protests that in fact we really didn't get any oil out of iraq that we weren't going to get anyways, but instead developed our domestic reserves to a degree that's fundamentally broken OPEC as a functioning entity. I expect Rex Tillerson understands the implications of this in a way that Theresa Heinz's husband never could be bothered to because there's no opportunity to poo poo on the flag in the process

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's definitely some troubling red flags, like the fact that none of the top 20 biggest global shipping companies reported a profit for 2016, the massively underfunded state employee pensions across the country, etc.

Basically everything is fine

Is the shipping profits a red flag though? They have a lot of market incentives to lose their poo poo and build themselves into a glut jockeying for position at the slightest whiff of actual demand and their margins are generally razor-thin to begin with.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Can the next recession come sooner rather than later? I'm sick of waiting.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Helsing posted:

Then get ready for the Eschaton.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

gobbagool posted:

It's ironic given all the 'no blood for oil' protests that in fact we really didn't get any oil out of iraq that we weren't going to get anyways, but instead developed our domestic reserves to a degree that's fundamentally broken OPEC as a functioning entity. I expect Rex Tillerson understands the implications of this in a way that Theresa Heinz's husband never could be bothered to because there's no opportunity to poo poo on the flag in the process

So true, wise sage of fossil fuels. Now excuse me while I go light my tapwater on fire for light, because all of my electrical wires were destroyed by subsidence

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's a nonzero chance we go to war with china in the next four years. all those people saying hillary's foreign policy would be worse are a bunch of dumbasses

:getin:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

a literal war with china may actually be a bad thing when you really think about it

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

ScrubLeague posted:

Nods.

At which point my party will blame the poor gently caress who has to clean up the mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

DrPossum posted:

a literal war with china may actually be a bad thing when you really think about it

Oh, I agree. I just also agree that if such a thing should occur it will be in large part due to Trump's idiocy concerning foreign policy.

• Locked thread