Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Here's a qiestion: why buy gold? What exactly will you use it for?

Genuinely curious, I keep hearing BUY GOLD but I never hear a reason why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I understand the sentiment, but imo if cash is worthless than you'd better be stocked up on guns and food, not gold.

I just keep thinking about how much money I could have made if I had properly timed the market and got out before the '08 crash, then rebought at the bottom. Just making it out unscathed would also be OK.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Agean90 posted:

That's a good question that I am not the right person to answer. I can only give my opinion on why.

It's a vanity metal that historically has maintained its value. An ounce of gold in Roman times is about as valuable as an ounce of gold nowadays.
The main issue with it is that its basically fiat metal, in that it holds no inherent value. It isn't used in (much) technology or medical products. It is valuable because people historically think it is pretty.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Agean90 posted:

Gold armor, gold guns, gold bullets

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Agean90 posted:

You use it to hold value while other things are losing their value, until you sell it back for money. That's it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
1) It's a traditional store of value

2) in the past countries backed their currencies up with reserves of gold. This acted as a natural restraint on government spending and therefore inflation. Some people have thus come to fetishize gold for political reasons.

3) A lot of scammers sell gold to credulous survivalist morons

Take a wild guess which of these three reasons is by far the most relevant!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trump already said he's not going to make DACA kids leave, and Paul Ryan is drawing the line at rounding people up already. Who the gently caress really knows how this will shape up, but the only thing we're certain about is that whatever the administration does it'll be stupid.

daca kids will be the perfect volunteer labor force for the wall. give them citizenship for participation in the wall

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

guns and ammo will retain their value before, during, and after a systemic economic collapse far better than gold will

so will fuel but that's harder to stockpile

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
gasoline is great to stockpile, what are you talking about? It's a loving liquid, you can deal with that poo poo.

but which you actually want to stockpile more of, I feel, is going to depend on the type of collapse

if it's the type of collapse where there's machinery and cars and poo poo lying around afterwards, gasoline >> guns, because you're going to need energy

otherwise, guns >> gasoline

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

That's a good question that I am not the right person to answer. I can only give my opinion on why.

It's a vanity metal that historically has maintained its value. An ounce of gold in Roman times is about as valuable as an ounce of gold nowadays.
The main issue with it is that its basically fiat metal, in that it holds no inherent value. It isn't used in (much) technology or medical products. It is valuable because people historically think it is pretty.

It's not just that people think it's pretty. Gold has a very low melting point, and is easily malleable. Even if you fashion it into jewelry, you can always melt it down into exchangable units later in a way you simply can't with precious stones. Because it was so easy to reshape, relatively rare, and had no practical utility for tools or weapons, it was a perfect store of value. Speculators still think of gold as a good store of value purely because of that historic utility.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

gasoline is great to stockpile, what are you talking about? It's a loving liquid, you can deal with that poo poo.

but which you actually want to stockpile more of, I feel, is going to depend on the type of collapse

if it's the type of collapse where there's machinery and cars and poo poo lying around afterwards, gasoline >> guns, because you're going to need energy

You can't really stockpile gasoline. Even in the best case it'll only be good for a year.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What? Yes you can, it's a loving chemical, but you need to remove oxygen to store it long term, and keep it in a non-reactive airtight chamber. You think that poo poo just magically disappears?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

that's complicated, I'd rather just store boxes of ammo and burn the gunpowder in those for warmth if I needed to

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure guncotton lasts for ever either if exposed to moisture, you might have to do the same thing to it, to ensure longevity.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Individualist survivalists are just delusional hobbyists. If you're actually serious about it you'll have to join some awful close-knit community of likeminded crazies like the Mormons.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine the amish might do pretty well, if they can survive, but I feel like you're better off finding other survivors and ad-hocing a commune

so find a place near a river or other water sources, that's rural enough to actually be farmable, but not so rural that you're unlikely to ever meet enough people, and build your secret bunker there with tons of poo poo like guns, gas, medical supplies, and enough poo poo to food/water 20 people for about a year

also you're going to need farming implements, axes, loving nails, tons of rope and a granary/seed store

play your cards right and you'll become king of poo poo mountain, because you're the only person in 20km who has bandages

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Helsing posted:

Individualist survivalists are just delusional hobbyists. If you're actually serious about it you'll have to join some awful close-knit community of likeminded crazies like the Mormons.

Hell look at argintina. They went through the exact economic collapse scenario those dipshits masterbate to. The cities functioned a normal, the survivalist compounds were all abandoned with all their supplies stolen.

Turns out a city of 200,000 with 20,000 guns is a less inviting target for gangs than a compound of 20 dudes with 40 guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

But what if it's like Mad Max huh what then

• Locked thread