Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Trump's blustering makes me nervous about the health of the economy. How long do you think before the markets go belly up? Is that possibility even likely enough to consider?

Just because your abeula lost the election doesn't mean the world is coming to an end. I'm sure it feels that way sometimes, but keep your chins up, it's gonna be ok!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Agean90 posted:

Lol if you don't assume there's always a crash looming, just lol

agreed, you should immediately panic, do something stupid

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

cargo cult posted:

im pretty sure global capitalism has been convulsing and slowly imploding since 2007/8, hence, president hitler.

Maybe that should be the new leftist mantra "Global Capitalism, slowly imploding since 5000 BC"

any day now, the glorious workers revolution will come, set your watch to it

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

several millennia of command economies doesn't really count though

because you think that ancient economies were closer in nature to...the soviet union than free economies? please explain, i need a laugh to counter the fact that the pats are in the goddamned super bowl again

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

Mature economies haven't been able to generate decent long-term growth without inflating bubbles for several decades now. 2008 is just the moment that this became impossible to ignore any longer.

Noted economist Helsing sinks a truth dagger into the heart of free economic interaction! surely his che tshirt will be seen as cool again now!

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

I bartered with the woman in my basement and told her that if she put the lotion on her skin she wouldn't get the hose again. Thanks to this free interaction the GDP of my abandoned well has increased by 400%.

Coming from you I'm 100% sure that's accurate. God help her, first for being held prisoner by you, second to have to listen to you. I'm sure when you're done raping her you explain to her how dreamy uncle joe was and how Venezuela is paradise now that they finally kicked the filthy capitalists out

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

Everyone knows Rome's empire was based on strict free market principles. They never would have fallen if they hadn't debased their currency and inflated away it's value.

The soviet union was surely a worker's paradise, y/n?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

fief/serfdom is the free market economic model our society should strive for

whatever keeps you up to your eyes in anime, because you're a very well adjusted adult

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"you're (not) a well adjusted adult", gobbagool says as he melts down in real time dropping his thin veneer of irony because his favored brand of ayn rand capitalism is as fragile as any other economic system

Nah, i just like to laugh at internet marxists. In two threads at once at the moment, what did you people get an alert to go out and poo poo up a bunch of places at once today?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reminder that the arrival of the great depression was a comically unpredictable affair when all of the factors responsible (massive wealth inequality, unprecedented corporate welfare, desertifying farmland, lack of social programs) went on for long enough to be dismissed by everyone except people with one functioning empathy brain cell, right up until the economy flat loving froze all of a sudden because of one aforementioned factors hitting their critical point and the value of the USD went down, down, down

Also, sorry I missed this, you make a great point, we never recovered from the great depression. I'm still waiting for the Dow to get back to 375 again like it was in september of 1929.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i am an anarcho-royalist, thank you

please respect all pronouns

ok you made me laugh, i'll grind a different axe now

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

Praise supply side Jesus, any more of those relentless iceburns and I fear internet Marxism might have been doomed.

I too remember the burst of free market activity between 1939 and 1945 that finally ended the depression.

why are you and your twinkly friend so anti-free market?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

why do you hate America?

i'd ask if you stopped beating your wife but that just brings up a series of sad realizations

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Modest Mao posted:

communism is the human species natural state hth

clearly! I mean, it's proven highly adept at killing off humans anyways. I guess I can see why a bunch of self hating internet anime marxists are so fond of it!

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Judakel posted:

stop trying to gain the upper hand and take your beating

the fact that they've called you in makes me feel very good about my position here

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Judakel posted:

that's called delusion

You and your anime friend are very helpful in identifying where the sadbrained pedo contingent stand, and for that, civilization thanks you

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

What sort of people maintained their wealth during the Great Depression, and through what means?

Also, since Trump is president, will this Depression be remembered as? The Tremendous Depression, Believe Me?

My grandparents (lower east side Jews) bought some Minute Maid stock early in the depression, with money saved from grandpa's marginal carpentry business, which ultimately turned into my vacation house on the finger lakes. I guess what I'm saying is, thank you for the Great Depression

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

SpaceGoku posted:

no, the soviet union was merely an example of state capitalism

Stating edgy counterfactuals does not make them non-counterfactual, comrade. Check back with Borneo jimmy for better technique

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they've weathered mao and two straight recessions trying to adopt free-market capitalism before settling for state-owned capitalism, they'll weather corporations making GBS threads their pants

it's very easy for an anime marxist to say that china "weathered" those things from behind your keyboard somewhere in a first world nation. diminishing the suffering of 2nd and 3rd world workers seems to be something that internet anime marxists do best in fact. It's almost like you're in love with a notion rather than reality

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ScrubLeague posted:

There's going to be a surge of deficit spending, followed by drastic cuts to government funded services. This will result in a few years of significant positive growth that will be entirely reversed when we go back to war for oil, leaving sustainable options years behind because hey, it's cheap enough to drive your Ford. The US Sovereign debt rating will be cut, interest rates will outpace inflation, and we enter another worldwide recession by 2022.

Why would the US go to war for Oil? You're aware that Oil production in the US has expanded dramatically since the last time you read a newspaper, aren't you? You really want to have an old fashioned freakout, go google "fracking"

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ScrubLeague posted:

Cheney 2 is going to be SOS.

It's ironic given all the 'no blood for oil' protests that in fact we really didn't get any oil out of iraq that we weren't going to get anyways, but instead developed our domestic reserves to a degree that's fundamentally broken OPEC as a functioning entity. I expect Rex Tillerson understands the implications of this in a way that Theresa Heinz's husband never could be bothered to because there's no opportunity to poo poo on the flag in the process

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

Yes:

The China boom cannot continue forever

China has made it pretty clear that if it can gently caress over foreign capital and get away with it, it will, so when that bust occurs, guess who's going to get screwed first?

That'll have reprecussions with first world finance

which will fall on it's fat loving face

and since first world economies decided to remove the manufacturing base and replace it with finance, to gently caress over their own unions, first world countries will enter a death spiral, because they don't actually produce anything of value, and their consumers are leveraged up to poo poo

welcome to the new age, bitch

So, in your definition, what's "of value"?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Chokes McGee posted:

lol if you think Trump and the Tortilla Coast Pirates won't default on the debt as soon as possible, thus wrecking the US Bond and lighting the entire world economy on fire

Why would he do that though? The rest of the world can't stop buying dollars because in spite of all the moronic talk of the BRICs and the rest of the emerging world, actual people with actual wealth for some reason don't want to trust it to kleptocratic autocracies. The dollar remains the world's currency.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Chokes McGee posted:

Whenever you ask this question about Trump I want you to spend five minutes checking the news and then come back to answer

Spoiler: because he's a deranged psychopath

Yeah clearly he's the deranged one here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Lamebot posted:

ehhh the us bond market has been in a slump for the past few months.

Is anything I said wrong?

• Locked thread