Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm only 20 years old atm so I'm not allowed in the liquor store but I do like to drink vodka from time to time, was wondering because my friend said a White Russian has vodka in it and I know my online friend drinks them a lot but I looked up the recipe and it said Kahula... is that a type of vodka? Don't see a clear answer on google. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kahlúa is a liquer originating in Veracruz, Mexico in 1936. It is made with coffee beans, rum (a type of vodka with molasses in it), corn syrup, and vanilla bean. So it is a type of vodka, in essence, although many refer to it as coffee liquer.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait a minute... that doesn't clear it up at all. Coffee? Is that why my friend uses coffee creamer in it? Is the drink served hot? Hot vodka doesn't sound good at all

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's a custom in some parts of the world to use coffee creamer instead of Kahlúa, when you've run out of Kahlúa but aren't a big fan of the taste of Vodka. And since Kahlúa is essentially Vodka with coffee in it as well as molasses-based Vodka, it's actually a pretty nifty, thriftful way to make homemade Kahlúa that is nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

Kahlúa is a liquer originating in Veracruz, Mexico in 1936. It is made with coffee beans, rum (a type of vodka with molasses in it), corn syrup, and vanilla bean. So it is a type of vodka, in essence, although many refer to it as coffee liquer.

Came here to say this.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

It's a custom in some parts of the world to use coffee creamer instead of Kahlúa, when you've run out of Kahlúa but aren't a big fan of the taste of Vodka. And since Kahlúa is essentially Vodka with coffee in it as well as molasses-based Vodka, it's actually a pretty nifty, thriftful way to make homemade Kahlúa that is nearly indistinguishable from the real thing.

lol

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wormskull posted:

Hang on: by that definition, an Oreo McFlurry is a type of milk.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress.

Is whiskey a drink? How does the Internet work? Why is Trump the President? How to buffalo have sex?

These are all random, stupid questions. They are all solved by using Google for less than 30 seconds.

Dear OP, please don't poo poo up the forums with such stupid questions and threads. Usually the mods are here for this stuff but I dunno what they are doing.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Montana posted:

What the gently caress.

Is whiskey a drink? How does the Internet work? Why is Trump the President? How to buffalo have sex?

These are all random, stupid questions. They are all solved by using Google for less than 30 seconds.

Dear OP, please don't poo poo up the forums with such stupid questions and threads. Usually the mods are here for this stuff but I dunno what they are doing.

Hey jackass, I already explained that I tried using google and didn't get a clear answer. Why don't you crawl back under the rock you came out of and gently caress off!!

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Wormskull posted:

rum (a type of vodka with molasses in it)

Really when you think about it, all alcohol beverages are types of vodka.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Black Baby Goku posted:

Hey jackass, I already explained that I tried using google and didn't get a clear answer. Why don't you crawl back under the rock you came out of and gently caress off!!

You just type it into Google you stupid loving poo poo

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Tony Montana posted:

What the gently caress.

He's just a kid, he doesn't know any better. Quit acting like a drat lunatic

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Montana posted:

You just type it into Google you stupid loving poo poo

I did you loving rear end in a top hat? What the gently caress is your problem, and what the hell did I ever do to you to promote this hostility? You are a loving freak. This is a forum for asking questions and I just had a simple question and it seems like there are differing opinions on it which I would like to hear so I don't act like a drat fool when I'm at the bar this time next year.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nope he's a lippy stupid loving kid with a truckload of attitude.

So gently caress him.

edit: when you're at the bar? Law? Have you seen our amazing, world famous thread on exactly this topic? I think the title is something like 'you will die poor and alone'

edit2: ok kid, you're going to be a lawyer so I guess I should help rather than insult. You're life is going to be bad enough as it is. Ok, when you're trying to find out something about a product you usually have a couple of sources. One would be Wikipedia, which in this case has a detailed article on it. Wikipedia tells you it's a liquer, which is a whole category of drinks. Go and read the page on liquers if you need further information.

That's it, finished. It's a liquer and those are specific and usually proprietary and yes you can find a hundred homemade liquer recipes on the Internet but they're mostly poo poo and anyone with an actual job just buys the real thing. Kahlua is Kahlua and is a brand and product just as much as it is a drink. Just the same way Colgate is a toothpaste, but if you say to someone you prefer Colgate they know what you mean.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 24, 2017

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

So gently caress him.

You know what, gently caress you Tony Montana. OP Your cool with me bro. Hit me up in a year and I'll tell you the good kind of whiskey to drink

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't think people that watched anime drank whiskey

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tony Montana posted:

I didn't think people that watched anime drank whiskey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tt04ZSlbZ0

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Montana posted:

So gently caress him.

edit: when you're at the bar? Law? Have you seen our amazing, world famous thread on exactly this topic? I think the title is something like 'you will die poor and alone'

edit2: ok kid, you're going to be a lawyer so I guess I should help rather than insult. You're life is going to be bad enough as it is. Ok, when you're trying to find out something about a product you usually have a couple of sources. One would be Wikipedia, which in this case has a detailed article on it. Wikipedia tells you it's a liquer, which is a whole category of drinks. Go and read the page on liquers if you need further information.

That's it, finished. It's a liquer and those are specific and usually proprietary and yes you can find a hundred homemade liquer recipes on the Internet but they're mostly poo poo and anyone with an actual job just buys the real thing. Kahlua is Kahlua and is a brand and product just as much as it is a drink. Just the same way Colgate is a toothpaste, but if you say to someone you prefer Colgate they know what you mean.

I tried reading this 5 times and it still doesn't make sense.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It makes perfect sense. One more time for the law student.

Kahula is Kahula. It's not a vodka or anything else. The category of drinks which are special snowflakes (and need things slowly explained to them?) and don't fit into the other categories are often liquers. There is a foul one made from eggs called avocat and a minty as gently caress one (which tastes like drinking the afore-mentioned Colgate) called Creme De Menthe. None of these are anything else, they are thier own drink and if you want minty as gently caress then you buy Creme De Menthe.

Kahlua's 'flavour' is coffee. It goes really well with Baileys and milk. You could probably make something with a shot of espresso, white spirit and milk or something but it will be poo poo. You drink a white Russian for the flavor, not to get drunk, so you buy a bottle of Kaluha and it tastes good.

Any further questions?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Montana posted:

Kahula is Kahula. It's not a vodka or anything else. The category of drinks which are special snowflakes (and need things slowly explained to them?) and don't fit into the other categories are often liquers. There is a foul one made from eggs called avocat and a minty as gently caress one (which tastes like drinking the afore-mentioned Colgate) called Creme De Menthe. None of these are anything else, they are thier own drink and if you want minty as gently caress then you buy Creme De Menthe.

Kahlua's 'flavour' is coffee. It goes really well with Baileys and milk. You could probably make something with a shot of espresso, white spirit and milk or something but it will be poo poo. You drink a white Russian for the flavor, not to get drunk, so you buy a bottle of Kaluha and it tastes good.

Any further questions?

Is it Vodka?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Umm I drink White Russians to get trashed. Starting to think this isn't the real Tony Montana

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it's a little embarrassing to admit, but i'm a little confused by all the people talking about how kahlua tastes like coffee. i've never actually drank coffee - can someone explain how it tastes?

thanks! :)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 24, 2017

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tony Montana posted:

Any further questions?

It's vodka.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can [b]somebody[b] who knows what the gently caress they are talking about answer me if Kaluha is Vodka or if it's Coffee liquor? Which the gently caress is it?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

As mentioned above -- it's a form of vodka, more or less, but with coffee beans inside of it, as well as vanilla bean and corn. :cheers:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

rediscover posted:

Umm I drink White Russians to get trashed. Starting to think this isn't the real Tony Montana

Mang, I don't drink no white Russian.

Kahlua is just vodka anyway.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Black Baby Goku posted:

Can [b]somebody[b] who knows what the gently caress they are talking about answer me if Kaluha is Vodka or if it's Coffee liquor? Which the gently caress is it?
It's coffee liqueur. Have you ever had coffee? Imagine coffee that gets you drunk. Isn't this a school night?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Wormskull posted:

As mentioned above -- it's a form of vodka, more or less, but with coffee beans inside of it, as well as vanilla bean and corn. :cheers:
But like, really mushed up old corn that they had to boil to make the mush taste go away and then added water to the steam that they boiled off and collected in pots.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Iron butterflies are superior to white Russians. (Substitute bailey's for the milk).

Kaluha is Kaluha. Saying Kaluha is vodka with coffee flavor is like saying whiskey is vodka with peat flavor. I suppose if you look at it a certain way it is but it really isn't.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AA is for Quitters posted:

Iron butterflies are superior to white Russians. (Substitute bailey's for the milk).

Kaluha is Kaluha. Saying Kaluha is vodka with coffee flavor is like saying whiskey is vodka with peat flavor. I suppose if you look at it a certain way it is but it really isn't.

I just want to know if it is, or isn't. Do you add vodka to it?

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
But run is made from sugarcane, not potatoes i.e., it's not vodka.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Noun Verber posted:

But run is made from sugarcane, not potatoes i.e., it's not vodka.
You can make vodka out of whatever the gently caress. Wheat, grapes, and corn are probably more widely used than potatoes these days. Hell, I have a pretty lovely bottle of vodka made from apples grown in the town I grew up in.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Aunt Beth posted:

You can make vodka out of whatever the gently caress. Wheat, grapes, and corn are probably more widely used than potatoes these days. Hell, I have a pretty lovely bottle of vodka made from apples grown in the town I grew up in.

Typical slavic sloppiness. This is just like how every single pop in Texas is called Coke because their brains are cooked from the heat (or in the case of slavs, industrial strength solvents).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How you going OP? Convinced it's a stupid loving question yet?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:lolplant:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Black Baby Goku posted:

A white Russian is Kaluha, vodka, and milk.

So no, Kaluha really isn't vodka

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

it's a little embarrassing to admit, but i'm a little confused by all the people talking about how kahlua tastes like coffee. i've never actually drank coffee - can someone explain how it tastes?

thanks! :)

Like Kahlua.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Black Baby Goku posted:

It is not.

You can add vodka to it. You can add anything to it, live your dream.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Vodka is alcohol, water, and a tiny amount of compounds from the grain or potato mash you distilled to make it. There is vodka with added taste ("vanilla vodka" etc), but those are still clear spirits with just a bit of taste - kind of like bottled water "with a taste of lime".

Liquors are typically dominated by their taste - you can steep fruits or berries in spirits, or add juices, or any number of variations. They don't have to be, but many liquors are sweet , colored, and some times downright syrupy; they can be a bit overpowering or cloying unmixed in anything but a tiny glass.

Kahlua is a liquor with a mostly coffee taste. A White Russian uses some Kahlua for the taste, mixed with milk (since it works with the coffee) and vodka (presumably as a fairly neutral-tasting way to add alcohol). Using just Kahlua and milk would mean having to chose between low alcohol and an overpowering coffee taste. Using only plain vodka would taste like alcoholic milk.

So, no: Kahlua is not a vodka. One of the more common uses of Kahlua is in a drink that also happens to contain vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So Kahlua + vodka is basically a double vodka with a shot of espresso

• Locked thread