Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there an easy way to trick a Molded into grabbing me? I want to shove a bomb down its throat, but no matter how much of a tasty treat I present myself as I never get grabbed. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age
Resident Evil 7 Not A Hero DLC delayed indefinitely

Per the video, it didn't meet quality standards.

Assuming this is the real reason, it boggles the mind the Capcom decided to not release crap under the RE banner.

RIP Maybe Chris Redfield.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reddit has a 3way split on-

1. Banned footage isn't Canon (the dates and times don't match up with Clancy capture timelines)

capcom is never loosey-goosey with their timelines or canon between titles no sir

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JohnnyOso posted:

Resident Evil 7 Not A Hero DLC delayed indefinitely

Per the video, it didn't meet quality standards.

Assuming this is the real reason, it boggles the mind the Capcom decided to not release crap under the RE banner.

RIP Maybe Chris Redfield.

If the rumor about it being outsourced was true I wonder if it was just hugely unsalvagable.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Someone please leak it. I want to see how bad it is.

Because from what I've heard it turns out CHRIS IS WESKER'S BROTHER...?!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Relin posted:

capcom is never loosey-goosey with their timelines or canon between titles no sir

Yeah I was gonna say like if you got Wesker's Report back in the day (on RE2 for N64 and some other collections/RE games released in the early 00s) there's literally loose timeline canon between games on a one sheet "this was literally made to explain the continuity of the series" piece of paper. Of course the continuity isn't tight between a ton of games across twenty years worth of hardware, development teams, remakes, etc.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still hoping that reference to "Ethan, W" in earlier files comes to something...

Also, assuming I can grab one first, would Jack's 55th Birthday or Ethan Must Die be better as a score attack thing? I don't think I quite ge tthe differences.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ethan Must Die isn't the score attack mode in that first set- that's Nightmare.

Personally I enjoyed Nightmare a little more than Jack's 55th Birthday, but they're about the same quality to me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ethan must die is super hard and the goal is to complete it. People have started competing to see who can finish it fastest. It isn't a time attack mode any more than the main game is.

Jack's 55th is a completely bizarre time attack mode with combat and unlockables and mothafuckin Jack Baker eating a glass of wine.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers for the clarification guys.

And man, gently caress Madhouse mode so far. Teleporting Jack and the instant-kill crawlers are really grating on my nerves. I love the idea behind this mode, but so far it really hasn't impressed.

e; seriously, both block items and the crawler ripped straight through my defense. Wouldn't have pissed me off but it came skidding around the corner from a save room. :mad:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
With both block items you take 0% damage from blocked hits though!

That one crawler was put there just to be hilarious. It scared the poo poo out of me, killed me, but all I could do was laugh. It's so perfectly executed, like the... addition... to the Mines.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I could check the tape but I believe my response to that crawler was something along the lines of "OH NO NOT YOU!!" and then it leapt at me.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAjZtu6Z8aE&t=4333s
(1:12:10)

Okay it wasn't, I was thinking of something else, but still it got me real good.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
My impromptu little Madhouse guide, from my own experiences (totally average player speaking who didn't use any New Game+ items except the Albert and Essence of Defense.)

1. Mia is legitimately hard on Madhouse and there's not much you can do about that. When she first drops down from the attic window, though, make sure to run in and get 3-4 free axe hits on her before backing off. It means you can afford to miss a couple more pistol shots later.
2. In the first Jack hallway encounter, unless you have the luck of God, he WILL spot you at some point. Be prepared to block. Taking full damage from a Jack hit is pretty horrifying on Madhouse.
3. In the garage fight, DO NOT try to use the car. Let Jack take it. The car keys are locked up in a box on Madhouse, and it's much better to save the lockpick needed for the task since there's another way to kill him regardless - they are very rare on this difficulty, and tend to give much better rewards.
4. When you get to the main room, use your antique coins (you should have enough) to buy the Scorpion Key and then instantly run through the scorpion door. Jack spawns and begins hunting you as soon as you either pick up the key or start climbing the stairs and, again, he's pretty drat dangerous in stalker mode. He won't chase you through the scorpion door, though.
5. Watch out for that loving crawler in front of the save room, as discussed. I think he kills freaking everybody their first time through.
6. You could go back for the shotgun, but you'd have to contend with Jack and you'd have practically no shells and no inventory space for it anyway.... so skip it. Go straight to the basement. Almost all of the molded down here can just be avoided - I particularly enjoy leading the two that spawn right after you leave the furnace / morgue room in through the open door, then darting out past them and shutting the door as you go. They'll be trapped in there for good, sparing you a fair amount of that precious early game ammo.
7. Go kill chainsaw Jack. With him now dead, he won't be around to stalk up upstairs anymore, and you can loot at your leisure. The M37 shotgun and toy shotgun can be skipped entirely in this way - pick up the broken shotgun upstairs, and you can immediately just go outside and use the repair kit out there on it, as there's nothing between where you pick it up and where you can repair it.

From here it's mostly as per normal. The only other thing I would stress is to try and use the burner aggressively in the Old House, and then ditch it completely afterwards - it's terrific against Marguerite and her bugs but useless for anything else, so you might as well save your ammo for other weapons. Also remember to run around during her boss fight to find more fuel for it as well. The fewer handgun bullets or shotgun shells you use on her, the more you have later.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Backhand posted:

I particularly enjoy leading the two that spawn right after you leave the furnace / morgue room in through the open door, then darting out past them and shutting the door as you go. They'll be trapped in there for good, sparing you a fair amount of that precious early game ammo.

That part is great and feels deliberately set up to work that way.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Backhand posted:

1. Mia is legitimately hard on Madhouse a
3. In the garage fight, DO NOT try to use the car. Let Jack take it. The car keys are locked up in a box on Madhouse, and it's much better to save the lockpick needed for the task since there's another way to kill him regardless - they are very rare on this difficulty, and tend to give much better rewards.

Guide good, with Mia, there's a borderline cheese that makes her trivial

Get her to chainsaw through all the walls so you end up with a ring-shaped fighting arena. Shooting her in the head will make her raise the chainsaw up in the air and sprint at you. Blocking this specific attack prevents ALL damage and stuns her for about 4 seconds of chop-chop-chop. I know it's sorta silly to say "shoot her in the head" is a strategy but I'd assume there are other ways to trigger her Crazy Charge attack too

Good point about the garage fight. Madhouse has 6 locked boxes (including the car keys) and 4 lockpicks. It's worth pointing out that the contents are 100% fixed on Madhouse mode, so you can skip the "burner fuel" chest if you don't want that.

EDIT: LOL reddit still mad https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/67uno2/not_even_close/

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 27, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I think my big problem is just diving straight into Madhouse after three(!) previous runs of the game. Granted I've got a playthrough down to about two hours or so which isn't bad, but it's set some bad habits. :shobon:

I'm going to take a break from the game for a while and come back to Madhouse. loving fantastic though - I was halfway through pining for a return to the original mansion and its mechanics before I realized that other than some basic combat mobility, this is the first game's mechanics. A pity that teleporting Jack really undermines the stalker mechanics, but Resi can be forgiven for not being Alien Isolation.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What is Teleporting Jack? I know he has one scripted appearance where he busts through a wall. Did you ditch him somewhere and then get spooked by him in the hallway?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What is Teleporting Jack? I know he has one scripted appearance where he busts through a wall. Did you ditch him somewhere and then get spooked by him in the hallway?

This one definitely startled me. I ran from him in the upstairs bathroom sequence, hopped down to the first floor near the save room and he busted through the wall near the hatch and scared the poo poo out of me. He definitely couldn't have been in that room at that time. I'd be curious to know what prompts that busting through the wall animation. It happened when I rented the game and played for the first time, but not on any replays of the game until Madhouse (the part described above). He can bust through there at the start when you haven't gone into the hatch, and on Madhouse it seems like he can bust through at any time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That sequence isn't actually scripted, he only does it if he's in that part of the house when you pass by. If he's in the living room or adjacent hallway and/or actively chasing you, he won't do it :eng101:

edit: In fact, if he doesn't do it the first time he's chasing you around he can do it much later when you return to place the clock pendulum! Ask me how I know and how much poo poo there was in my pants! Go ahead!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

CJacobs posted:

That sequence isn't actually scripted, he only does it if he's in that part of the house when you pass by. If he's in the living room or adjacent hallway and/or actively chasing you, he won't do it :eng101:

edit: In fact, if he doesn't do it the first time he's chasing you around he can do it much later when you return to place the clock pendulum! Ask me how I know and how much poo poo there was in my pants! Go ahead!

Dang really? Reddit had one of those "literally unplayable" threads showing a gif of Jack "dying" right outside the hallway leading to the garage, laundry room, and kitchen/dining room, and then 2 seconds later he Kool-Aids through the wall. I guess that matches up with what you're saying!

Does he do it at a different time in Madhouse? I too poo poo my pants when he did it in Madhouse and that was like the 7th time I played through the game!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not sure! I definitely have had him not bust through the wall before though so I'm not sure what the conditions really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
By teleporting Jack I mean exactly that - on Madhouse I've evaded him in one room, or can hear him moving around in there, only to suddenly appear on a separate floor entirely with no physical way of passing me in the process.

It's a little irritating as baiting him into other sections of the house felt like a legitimate tactic, but it kept being undone. I'm not talking about going through the Scorpion door either. :v:

• Locked thread