Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ballot-3-978570

quote:

I really loved A Man Called Ove, and I can't say anything bad about Star Trek Beyond. But as a heterosexual male, it's hard not to vote for Harley Quinn [the character played by Margot Robbie in Suicide Squad] — plus, the makeup was really, really good. I'm surprised it didn't get other tech credits, as well, but I guess it's not really an Academy movie — it was way too much fun.

:colbert:

Dude also says:

quote:

I'm not big on animation or animators. I know a girl who only has sex with animators — she works over at Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Props to Gary from Chicago who spent twenty years in a California prison, then got out that jam 3 days before showing up on the Oscars.

Stay blessed Gary!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

ruddiger posted:

Props to Gary from Chicago who spent twenty years in a California prison, then got out that jam 3 days before showing up on the Oscars.

Stay blessed Gary!

22 years for attempted rape. Nice one Oscars :thumbsup:

Edit: Nevermind, article I read about it was wrong. He wasn't jailed for that specifically

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 1, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He went to prison for petty theft and caught the years because of California's three strikes rule you stupid gently caress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ruddiger posted:

He went to prison for petty theft and caught the years because of California's three strikes rule you stupid gently caress.
Sure.

But that came after 2 grand-theft convictions and 2 shoplifting convictions and 1 burglary conviction.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

do you not understand how three strikes laws work and why it's hosed up that he received a life sentence for it or... actually nevermind. I keep forgetting the majority demographic here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ruddiger posted:

do you not understand how three strikes laws work and why it's hosed up that he received a life sentence for it or... actually nevermind. I keep forgetting the majority demographic here.
The details matter here.

Three strikes in California is 25 to life and he got out after 20. So it was never a life sentence.

Also, you're conflating me with the other posters who focused on the length of his prison terms.

I simply pointed out that he had been convicted of numerous serious crimes and probably not a good guy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:yikes:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He caught life on the third strike and was able to get it whittled down because his lawyer believed in him and fought through the appeals. Doesn't change that he

1) got life thrown at him

2) people are using his charges to exaggerate his "badness". He's not even repentful rear end Morgan Freeman from Shawshank. Dude never murdered anybody. He was a poor addict born in one of the toughest parts of Chicago. He found God and his fiancée while trying to turn his life around in prison.

You are absolutely right that the details are important here, especially when taking into consideration who won best picture and the controversy surrounding him. The people on Kimmel's show nixed Gary showing up on the Kimmel show for fear of his past, would they have had the same reservations for Casey Affleck?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 1, 2017

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ruddiger posted:

You are absolutely right that the details are important here, especially when taking into consideration who won best picture and the controversy surrounding him. The people on Kimmel's show nixed Gary showing up on the Kimmel show for fear of his past, would they have had the same reservations for Casey Affleck?

Casey Affleck didn't win Best Picture; Emma Stone did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The details matter here.

Three strikes in California is 25 to life and he got out after 20. So it was never a life sentence.

Also, you're conflating me with the other posters who focused on the length of his prison terms.

I simply pointed out that he had been convicted of numerous serious crimes and probably not a good guy.

quote:

I spent this afternoon laughing and crying with Gary and Vicky,” public defender Karen Nash posted Monday on Facebook. “For those of you who missed it, I spent years working on Gary’s case. He got a life sentence for stealing perfume in 1997, and we finally won release this year. He got out on Friday, and was sight seeing with his lovely fiancé Vicky. If you watched the Oscars, you know the rest.”

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-oscars-gary-from-chicago-prison-20170228-htmlstory.html

I don't know you irl, but you seem like a sucky person.

edit; yeah there are other crimes, but he did his time and more. Ascribing his worth based on crimes based on poverty is loving terrible. He did his time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-stage-manager-pwc-accountants-incompetence/

I dunno if this was posted yet but some more details about Cullinan and Ruiz both freezing up which explains why Ruiz is also being relieved of duties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.thewrap.com/oscar-stage-manager-pwc-accountants-incompetence/

I dunno if this was posted yet but some more details about Cullinan and Ruiz both freezing up which explains why Ruiz is also being relieved of duties

As someone who just spent January and February working 12-15 hour days for PwC, good.

• Locked thread