Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Honorable Inquisitor Lexington,

In response to your request, and after due consideration of your superior record of service in the Ordo Xenos, as well as favorable reports from Lord-General Rega, it has been decided to grant you the authority to command a Kill-Team of Deathwatch Astartes. This carries with it the associated duties and restrictions established with the Wienand-Warfist accords, ratified and made supreme law by the High Lords of Terra.

As there is no extant team in need of command, you shall be allowed to draft your own squad (henceforth designated "Kill-Team Sigma") from the provided dossiers. The final composition of Kill-Team Sigma is dependent upon final authorization by the Watch-Captain, and may change without prior notice due to necessity and circumstance.

In addition, the Watch-Captain has given his blessing to the dispatch of Kill-Team Sigma on the proposed reconnaissance mission, assuming it can be assembled in a prompt fashion. Should time become a factor, he reserves the right to re-assign the mission to a team and command of his choosing.

In the name of the Emperor,
Scribe Gurix

++ Thought for the day: By the manner of their death we shall know them. ++

-----------------------------------------------

What is this even?
This is a Deathwatch RPG campaign, almost entirely conceived as an off-week game for the already existing In the Shadow of the Eye of Terror game.

Who's it for?
Well, people from the other game have first priority to get in, and enough have voiced interest that we have a full party, so... We're probably already full up? Maybe one or two additional, we'll see.
We could use a couple more dudes!

How we doing this?
Discord for audio, Roll20 for the table. The plan is every Sunday we don't have the other game, we'll have one of these. The time slot seems to work, so we'll start 9-10am PST GMT-8/5-6pm GMT+0 unless we want to alter that.

How do we character?
Standard character creation, with the point allocation option. Let me know if you want to be a custom chapter, we can work it out. Other than that, have at it, as far as background the only limit is you're new to the deathwatch (maybe a mission or two).

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Yeah, let's aim for our first session in 2 and a bit weeks. This came together a bit fast, I want to make sure everybody is ready for the first mission.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

This Sunday, the 12th at 10! Hopefully.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Any more characters for tomorrow? I'm making tokens, want to get everybody ready.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Roll20 room is this way!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Job well done, Kill-Team Sigma! See you in a couple weeks!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Just a bit quiet over here since it's the off week, but I still want to say that that's a fine looking character, welcome to the team. I got some PMs indicating we also probably have an Iron Hands Devastator incoming too!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Hey, so to save a bit of time and make sure we accomplish as much as possible this Sunday, you guys are getting a basic mission briefing now so you can choose your Requisition in advance.

+++++

Members of Kill-Team Sigma,

Your presence is required on Serendipity 1723-21. Approach in stealth, and do not attempt to make contact with the local authorities or PDF. They are to be considered possibly hostile, and fully expendable. You will be given a sealed information canister to be opened upon planetfall, which contains the identity of a friendly asset in the planetary capital, and the method of contact. They will brief you on the full mission details.

For your preparations, in addition to said expendable local human forces, expect to come in conflict with Tau elements. Infantry, drones, and battlesuits, with light vehicle support are all possibilities. Entering an established base, by stealth or overt assault, is likely to be required. Under expected circumstances, extraction will not be long in coming.

Always faithful,
Inquisitor Lexington

+++++

Imperial Records: Serendipity 1723-21

Serendipity is a world on the edge of Imperial space, so named as it was the nearest habitable world when a long-range scouting vessel experienced drive failure. The ship managed a landing, and the crew founded a small but stable colony that has persisted to this day. Due to its remoteness and lack of any substantial tactical value, the planet's defense is a low priority for Imperial Navy vessels, and it suffers from occasional pirate raids.

+++++

...aaand that should be enough to get the ball rolling. Turns out I read Requisition wrong last time, and it's supposed to be per-marine, so you guys get way more! Not that you ended up needing it.

Anyways, let's go with 75 Requisition per marine. Go nuts.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

No such thing as overkill for the Deathwatch. By the way, is a 10 AM start better again for this Sunday, or do we want to move back to 9?

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Moonwolf posted:

What's the Discord channel or whatever? I've not used it before.

We generally use the "NERDY VOICE RPIN'" room in #acolyte. I think this is the invite link? And it sounds like we'll meet at 9.

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 25, 2017

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Roll20 room is still this way!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Do we get XP between missions or between sessions?

Hmm, let's say you all get another 500. I'm probably bumping everybody to Respected after this session, if only to give you guys some flexibility requisition-wise, so have some XP.

Also I just scored pretty good on my GRE, so between me celebrating, you guys ranking up, and a couple recommendations to up the difficulty, this Sunday we're going to have some :siren:FIREWORKS:siren:. See y'all at 9 PST! Unless somebody wants to move it!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Oh crap it's daylight savings tomorrow morning. Uh, for those of us in the US, I guess we're gaming at 10? This might take a minute to figure out.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Moonwolf posted:

The UK at least will be on Summertime this Sunday, are we going for 9am PDT/5pm BST?

Sounds good! Time has made fools of us for too long.

I should have the next basic mission briefing up soon, so you guys can have a while to pick your gear. This next mission is going to be a bit... involved.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Soon is a relative term when warp travel is involved!

+++++

Members of Kill-Team Sigma,

I believe you have already been notified of your deployment to Berad. The Deathwatch has most generously responded to Lord General Rega's request for aid, and your squad is one of four being deployed to strategic points in the conflict zone. Specifically, your theater of operations is to be the Bolivar plateau.

Your primary objective is within the ork-occupied Mechanicus Research Facility #615-8908-Marius. On the surface, and if asked for specifics by any local forces, this is due to the transmissions array that has been converted to a jamming device of surprising efficacy. This, however, is only a coincidence. Known only to you, the Watch-Commander, and I, your true mission is one of rescue.

Magos Taro has managed to conceal himself in a vault deep within the complex. He apparently has sufficient oxygen scrubbers and nutrient paste to sustain his organic components for a considerable length of time, and the orks are unaware of the vault's existence, so he will likely remain hidden until they strip the facility to its foundations. What necessitates his rescue is his apparent possession of an Inquisitorial data archive.

He claims, through brief messages sent by clever artifice, to have been operating under an old Inquisitorial mandate, and that his breach of silence is only due to the necessity of preserving the information past the current crisis. I have ran the identification codes, and found them to be valid but belonging to an Inquisitor of antiquity, marked dead over a millennia ago. There is an interesting tale to be told here, and I will have this Magos tell it in great detail once you have brought him to me.

Unfortunately facility Marius has become a gathering point for ork forces on the plateau, and I would not expect a single squad of even Deathwatch Astartes to assault it alone. I suggest coordination with local forces, either the Guard that has been deployed to the plateau, or the defence forces of Sub-Hive Bolivar. The situation is difficult of ascertain due to the jamming and other circumstances, but orbital scans do indicate continued resistance to the ork occupation.

Reinforcement will be difficult due to the current ork air supremacy, so be prepared to operate behind enemy lines for a lengthy period. You have been assigned a Rhino for transport, and there may be the opportunity for resupply via drop pod. I look forward to your debriefing upon success.

Always faithful,
Inquisitor Lexington

+++++

100 requisition each! Yeah baby! As stated above this is probably going to be what you get for a few adventures, and you do have a Rhino to lug stuff around in, so it totally makes sense to buy some different weapons/loadouts and you just swap to what you need when you're in the transport.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Yeah, I guess you guys can splurge for the Razorback. The Deathwatch would have the full array of weapon choices, so do decide: twin-linked heavy bolter, twin-linked heavy flamer, twin-linked assault cannon, twin-linked lascannon, a Multi-melta, or a combination of a lascannon and a twin-linked plasma gun.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

JcDent posted:

I don't think I should be able to carry all of that stuff around, though, weight limits or not.

Well, that's part of why you got a vehicle, to carry extra gear around.

In other news, I just finished essentially GMing a larp-y event where the gaming space necessitated lots of running up and down sets of stairs! Boy did those eleven hours just fly by. I'm gonna go fall into a coma, see y'all tomorrow morning.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

We all good for this sunday? My schedule has opened up immensely, so I should be able to prepare an adventure that's hopefully a bit less railroad-y.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Writing for Orks is just a treat.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

See y'all in 12 hours!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Sure, that fits with some stuff of mine actually. Twelve hours starting... NOW

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Tias posted:

((Hey lads. I'm going to be DM'ing Deathwatch in roll20, and I've never done it before. Do you have logs I can take a peak at?))

I'll write up all the tips & tricks I can think of and pm it to you in a bit

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

This Sunday at 9 PDT!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Next session, this Sunday at the usual time! I'll compose a bigger briefing when a giant thunderstorm isn't cutting off my power every fifteen minutes, but short version is you're going to a major shrine world undercover. Probably still as Space Marines, just not Deathwatch. It'll make sense.

And if bastion wants to make a divination check going in, just post a roll and I'll show you some cards.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Any other scheduling concerns? If not the game should start off at the usual time! Hopefully without discord making GBS threads itself again, although at least we know we can swap to roll20 chat as a backup.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Some more details:

Interrogation revealed warpsmith to be named Lord Pugin.

In the library fight, a stealth suited-operative had a meltagun v meltagun duel with Agatone. When he was somewhat inevitably blown to chunks by heavy bolter fire, Agatone realized he'd been heavily augmented in a shockingly similar fashion to Sgt. Haytham. Even his brain was harder to read than others, but they recovered the memory of Pugin boasting that he'd stolen the augmentation techniques from the Inquisition.

Also in the fights, the baddies were actually able to semi-reliably damage the Kill-Team members through heavy use of Krak Grenades and sneakiness. They came prepared!

Kalderich blinded a combat servitor with his acid spit, and Bastion used Decerius' prone body as a ramp to do a leaping charge between library floors.

Decerius survived, he's chilling in a warehouse and calling for the chapter serfs driving his shuttle to come down and pick him up.

The cult's plan to spark a war involves planting a bunch of Synnibarr Sunburst flowers near all the populated areas, which is a rare flower whose pollen has a mild stimulant effect. When combined with certain drugs however, this effect builds and builds to the point of insanity and frenzy. There was a note that the chemicals had been distributed to all the food vendors. Like the ones you guys ate from. Incidentally, back when you guys ate the tourist food, I secretly made a bunch of GM rolls!

Tee hee!

That sniper guy from before started sniping at Kalderich, calling him "Son of Manus" and saying he was going to shoot him five more times to make the count between them even, then end it with the sixth. Kind of a murder grudge! He got a hit in, then the team set everything on fire to make a smoke screen and engage the modified Sentinels on their own terms.

Incidentally Rockopolis, that weird fire-breathing Imperial Fists successor chapter I was thinking of was the Fire Lords. "Another unusual practice of the Chapter is for individual Fire Lords to have their teeth replaced with shards of razor-sharp stone, each with the appearance of a primitive arrowhead or spear tip. When they bite down, their clenched jaws spark, igniting their Promethium-swilled breath. They can then send a gout of flame into an enemy's face when engaged in close combat." One shows up in Legion of the Damned. There's always more 40k lore to learn, huh?

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 22, 2017

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

I kept track of who rolled the 85. What you don't know yet is what they got for the re-roll the Oolitic Kidney gives you. I think this is up to date:

• Secondary Heart - Passive, contributes to Unnatural Strength and Toughness
  • Ossmodula - Passive, contributes to Unnatural Toughness
  • Biscopea - Passive, contributes to Unnatural Strength
  • Haemastamen - Passive, contributes to Unnatural Strength and Toughness
  • Larraman's Organ - Passive, Immune to Blood Loss, True Grit Talent
    • Kalderich took a real mean sniper shot to the arm.
  • Catalepsean Node - Passive, no penalties to Perception from prolonged awakeness.
  • Preomnor - +20 Toughness vs Poison Gotta be careful of that street vendor food.
  • Omophagea - 420 EAT BRAINS ERRY DAY
    • I think this is the most this organ has ever gotten used?
  • Multi-lung - Reroll drowning&asphyxiation, +30 vs gases & reroll, breathe water.
  • Occulobe - Passive, Heightened Senses (Sight) Talent
  • Lyman’s Ear - Passive, Heightened Senses (Hearing) Talent
  • Sus-an Membrane - Suspended animation
  • Melanchromic Organ - Passive, contributes to Unnatural Toughness, resist radiation
  • Oolitic Kidney - Reroll vs Poison
    • If at first you don't succeed...
  • Neuroglottis - Taste Poison, smell Poison, Track
    • Just tested it out at the noble's residence
  • Mucranoid - Reroll Toughness vs Temperatures
  • Betcher’s Gland - ACID SPIT!
    • About 0.03 cc/minute
    • Blinded a murder servitor real good.
  • Progenoids - Harvested to make new Space Marines
    • We haven't lost anyone, but we did get them from the pilot
  • Black Carapace - Passive, armor interface

Next adventure, I'm throwing y'all into space. Or underwater.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Everybody good for this Sunday?

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

I believe so? At least 500 xp.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Game this Sunday! It's been a while, but I kinda remember somebody saying they might have a problem with scheduling this one, so I thought I'd ask early.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Sounds like a bad weekend for everyone. Or actually, a really good time for a lot of us, but not great for game purposes. In any case, no game this Sunday.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Anybody except Brother Agatone not good for this Sunday?

+++++

Kill-Team Sigma,

Arm yourselves for Space Hulk boarding and exploration, and depart immediately. Details on what you will find are scarce as ever, but for once we are unlikely to be beaten to our destination. How long we will have it to ourselves is another matter.

Ever vigilant,
Inquisitor Lexington

+++++

Congrats, you guys are now Distinguished gentlemen with precisely enough XP to be Rank 3. This massive power jump is in no way indicative of the threat you are likely to face, so you can probably spend your 60 requisition on cool t-shirts and stuff.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Creation_of_a_Space_Marine

As far as I can tell, the 19 special space marine organs are implanted separately? The progenoids are actually grown in new space marines, and absorb the DNA from the organs so you can grow a new set for the next guy? This is definitely on the more obscure end of the canon though, I don't doubt a lot of materials portray the whole process differently. Whatever, you got a bunch of whatever it is you use to make more marines to deal with.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

You might have seen this in the Good/Bad/Weird RPG stories thread, but I posted a bunch of screenshots of our Deathwatch adventures right here. How far we've come.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

How's this Sunday looking for everyone?

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Armor of the Junkyard Dog
Former Owner: War Hounds Captain Karos
May be swapped for any squad member's armor on a mission-by-mission basis.

Armor: 9 all
Weight: 250 kg
Enhanced Strength: +20
Auto-Senses: +10
Osmotic Gill Life Sustainer: Yes
Auto-Injector Doses: 8

Special Abilities

Mark IV Base: +15 to fellowship tests with other Astartes.

Blood of a Battle-Brother: +1 to cohesion.

Death is Joy: +2 damage on attacks that deal critical damage, +1 magnitude damage to hordes.

Can't Stop Me Now: User may make a toughness check to immediately negate stun effects.

Have Your Pets Spayed or Neutered: Comes with a free best-quality Astartes combat knife w/ Dupole Mag-Lock.

?????: ??????????????????????????????????

???????????: ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

His Bark (Master-Crafted Bolt Pistol)
12 Requisition
P 30m S/2/- 1d10+12 X Pen 4 12 clip Tearing

If used by an Astartes wearing the Armor of the Junkyard Dog, the user may treat a damage roll of 1 as a roll of 8, or 8 as a roll of 10 (but not 1 as 10) for all effects and calculations, including Righteous Fury. They also gain the following trait:

????: ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

His Bite (Master-Crafted Chainaxe)
26 Requisition
Melee 1d10+8 R Pen 4 Tearing, Unbalanced

Is treated as having a power field for the purpose of not being broken by power fields. If used by an Astartes wearing the Armor of the Junkyard Dog, the user triggers Righteous Fury twice, rolling twice to confirm if needed and applying all relevant effects two times, when rolling an 8 on damage with this weapon. They also gain the following trait:

????: ??????????????????????????????????

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Oh yeah, in all respects other than those listed it should function like standard Mark VII Aquila armor. Enjoy all the little bonuses that we forget exist most of the time.

And to be clear, you can totally modify His Bark by giving it mods like a fire selector or red dot sight, it just doesn't come standard.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

I already included the damage bonuses, and the effect triggers only on 8. 10 gives a normal, single Righteous Fury.

...Is there a term for something like a number-based pun? Because I am proud how many 8s and 12s I worked in there. I really should've made the armor 12 body/8 elsewhere, in hindsight.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Session in one week! I actually have a few different options for missions right now, and it's not super important the order you resolve them in, so I thought I'd just ask: any type of mission you guys would be interested in trying next? Something stealth, mass combat, more roleplay-y, etc? Any particular xenos you'd like to rid the galaxy of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Tarot reading tiiiime!

Alright, here's how your version of the emperor's tarot works: You get a certain number of cards depending on your successes. Cards come in pairs, with the first card representing something relevant to you and the second one clarifying/modifying that card's meaning. You don't know precisely what each pair is in reference to, but the deeper into a reading you get, the distance (in time, distance, whatever) to whatever it represents generally increases. If a card is reversed you reverse its meaning. I'm using a 40k-themed deck I found right here, but I checked and I do think it maps to the traditional Rider-Waite tarot deck. With all that in mind:

EDIT: Those rules I posted are generalities BTW, every rule can change depending on the situation.

• Locked thread