Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I'll give it a shot, although I think this week is a little tougher.

Dignitas vs. Elevate: 2-0 Dig, this pretty clearcut in my opinion, Dig has a great team this season, they look really good.

CycloneGG vs. Novus Orsa: 1-1 split here. Cyclone has looked pretty good despite their record, I think this is the set they find their first win, but don't be too surprised if they pull the upset 2-0 here either.

In Memory of Gabe vs. Noble eSports: 2-0 IMOG easy. Noble has some growing to do as a team, their individual play is good, but IMOG is already at or close to their peak

Allegiance vs. Enemy: 0-2 for Enemy. Taking a game off of Eager this last weekend showed a strength of character and team synergy, while ALG has continued to look disjointed

NRG vs. CyclonGG: For all their problems at the start of the season, NRG is already showing a good rebound, and they're just mechanically better than Cyclone, both as a team and at the individual level.

Valance Squad vs. Novus Orsa: 2-0 VAC. This could also be a split, but I think the VAC boys look more cohesive than NO right now.

Obey vs. Elevate: 2-0 for Obey. Obey managed to drop the best solo laner in Europe from their roster and somehow come out a better team, and Elevate is just outmatched.

Sanguine vs. Dignitas: 0-2 Dignitas. Not much to say here. Sanguine is struggling to find themselves as a time, and I don't think this is the set they get their first win.

Eager vs In Memory of Gabe: 1-1 split. This is the toughest call and definitely the match of the week. IMOG has found easy success so far, but this will be their first real test of the season. eager dropped a game against Enemy, which I expected, but it does show cracks in their armor. Expect maximum jank out of DJPernicus and Aror as I'm sure they have a crazy tactic up their sleeve to deal with the hottest looking team

FlashpointGG vs Noble eSports: 0-2 Noble. Flashpoint hasn't looked great in any of their losses, and Noble finds their first sweep set to keep them in the conversation

Soar vs. Enemy: 1-1 split. Soar is not going to go winless this season, and I think they can take at least one game away here to prove they aren't out of the fight already.

Luminosity Gaming vs Allegiance: 2-0 LG. Nothing to say here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

^I think those were pretty much my picks, except for maybe 1 or 2 games. Anyone still watching Smite on Twitch: I'm still getting gem chest rewards, but it seems to have trickled down to once per week (a chest with 15 gems) regardless of how much I have it running in the background. I've been getting mostly FP chests during the actual SPL games though.

On another note, Clash promotion this weekend:

quote:

From Friday, March 3rd to Sunday, March 5th, earn a Cutesy Avatar Chest roll for completing one First Win Of the Day on Clash, each day! That’s 3 total Cutesy Avatar Chest rolls all weekend! The Chest rolls will be rewarded on Monday, March 6th at 5 pm EST.

Not enough players queuing new Clash, HiRez? :allears:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

cyclonic posted:

On another note, Clash promotion this weekend:

Not enough players queuing new Clash, HiRez? :allears:

This reddit thread I made got some traction and a response from Hi-Rez, but no Clash changes in 4.3 make me :negative:

I'm hoping they just didn't want to steal any of the limelight from Adventures (which to be fair looks very fun) and we some changes to Clash in 4.4

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm up to Win X Clash Games for the season questline but haven't tried the mode yet (or conquest). I have enough fun just bouncing between arena and assault.

I guess with xp spooling the clash basics are try to make a balanced party, support your team mates, don't overextend, and keep an eye on the enemy? Is it worth warding or is the map too small to bother? I won't be around this weekend and don't care about cutesy avatars, but I may as well give it a try soon.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

bagrada posted:

I'm up to Win X Clash Games for the season questline but haven't tried the mode yet (or conquest). I have enough fun just bouncing between arena and assault.

I guess with xp spooling the clash basics are try to make a balanced party, support your team mates, don't overextend, and keep an eye on the enemy? Is it worth warding or is the map too small to bother? I won't be around this weekend and don't care about cutesy avatars, but I may as well give it a try soon.

With xp spooling in Clash, as long as you don't completely poo poo the bed, you and the enemy will be full build and equal footing at 15 minutes. At that point run as a group, try to get some picks, and if you wipe them you can easily take an objective or two if not the game.

Warding's good (more useful than in Arena and Assault, in any case) but the only key areas are Apophis and in the middle of their jungle so you can see if they're trying to flank you as you push down their lanes.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 28, 2017

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Two more Smite Tactics beta keys posted in the Discord private server thread for anyone interested.

Punkin Donuts
Oct 3, 2003

You know what time it is.
I've been feeling bored with HOTS, so I figured I'd give Smite a try. Just played through the tutorial and had a blast, and I'd love an invite to the guild for that sweet Goon lovin. My IGN is PunkinDonuts.

Thanks!

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Punkin Donuts posted:

I've been feeling bored with HOTS, so I figured I'd give Smite a try. Just played through the tutorial and had a blast, and I'd love an invite to the guild for that sweet Goon lovin. My IGN is PunkinDonuts.

Thanks!

Invite sent!

Crutch
Apr 22, 2010
So, if you don't buy the Adventure Bundle - is there really no reason to play it? I don't seem to be accruing anything for wins.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Worshipers on the only 5 gods allowed in the mode and FP.

Other than that, there's no other reason to play it unless you find it fun since the games aren't tracked (yet??)

Edit: Since each team is forced to play the exact same lineup... this might be the most balanced mode in the game, just sayin'

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

reddit tier list, Patch 4.2 (Kuzenbo)

edit-

Crutch posted:

So, if you don't buy the Adventure Bundle - is there really no reason to play it? I don't seem to be accruing anything for wins.

Achievements? :shrug:

Honestly I think HiRez dropped the ball with this event, but correct me if I'm wrong: you don't even need to play to get the items from the bundle? Just pay and get everything?

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 2, 2017

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I really really wish HiRez would stop with the whole "add leagues/games to pick ~1 hour before they go live and you can't pick them any more" thing. God forbid they have some idea of what their schedule is more than a day in advance.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can someone help me figure out who to play who is super fun but not like a hunter/assassin carry? I like supporting as a guardian or mage, and geb is a lot of fun, but ymir is super boring.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

What are build strategies for Ah Puch? I built Pen boots/Chronos/Spear of the Magus/Gem of Isolation/Obsidian Shard and appear to have been working on a power item of some description last night, and did okay but felt like I wasn't doing as much damage to gods as I could be. Is he better suited to straight power/pen building or does he work well with effect items like Gem of Isolation / Soul Reaver?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pimp Drakula posted:

What are build strategies for Ah Puch? I built Pen boots/Chronos/Spear of the Magus/Gem of Isolation/Obsidian Shard and appear to have been working on a power item of some description last night, and did okay but felt like I wasn't doing as much damage to gods as I could be. Is he better suited to straight power/pen building or does he work well with effect items like Gem of Isolation / Soul Reaver?
In Arena, I've found the only real use for Gem is those instances where you can drop your ult on the entire enemy team and watch as they wallow fatly in a giant slowing field while the rest of your abilities do the real damage.

The thing with Pen is the weird order of operations rules kind of undercut your build; Shard is WORSE if you have Spear, because (according to the wiki) the order is:
- Percent Reduction. This will reduce a target's protection values by a percentage. For example, The Executioner will reduce a target's physical protection by 12% (per stack).
- Flat Reduction. This will reduce a target's protection values by a specific amount. For example, Void Shield will reduce a target's physical protection by 20.
- Percent Penetration. This will bypass a target's protection values by a percentage. For example, Obsidian Shard will bypass 33% of a target's magical protection.
- Flat Penetration. This will bypass a target's protection values by a specific amount. For example, Dynasty Plate Helm will bypass 15 of a target's magical protection.
So the Spear is making your Shard effectively do less, BUT your shard is making your boots do more.

I usually go (fair warning: Arena casual scrub territory): CDR Boots / Warlock's / Chronos / Spear / Gem if I need extra durability + their team doesn't have a lot of movement abilities already (if they do, it doesn't matter if they're slower, since they can just jump/dash out of your poo poo anyway) , Rod if I don't / Shard MAYBE if their team built enough protections.

Overall the key to making Puch feel good, in my experience, is not trying to do 3/4 of someone's life in one combo, but planning+weaving in and out of the fight enough that you can land 1/2 their life in two combos. Also landing the combo (132 in the right timing order causes the corpses to hit as the toss hits as the purge goes off) is deceptively difficult to get down, especially on wonkier ping.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The thing with Pen is the weird order of operations rules kind of undercut your build; Shard is WORSE if you have Spear, because (according to the wiki) the order is:
- Percent Reduction. This will reduce a target's protection values by a percentage. For example, The Executioner will reduce a target's physical protection by 12% (per stack).
- Flat Reduction. This will reduce a target's protection values by a specific amount. For example, Void Shield will reduce a target's physical protection by 20.
- Percent Penetration. This will bypass a target's protection values by a percentage. For example, Obsidian Shard will bypass 33% of a target's magical protection.
- Flat Penetration. This will bypass a target's protection values by a specific amount. For example, Dynasty Plate Helm will bypass 15 of a target's magical protection.
So the Spear is making your Shard effectively do less, BUT your shard is making your boots do more.

:sterv:

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Can someone help me figure out who to play who is super fun but not like a hunter/assassin carry? I like supporting as a guardian or mage, and geb is a lot of fun, but ymir is super boring.

Kumbha is my go-to for fun guardian.

Killing someone with his ult + belly bounce combo is super satisfying (or when someone successfully lines up a skillshot when they land: the best is a Kumbha ult into a Ne Zha ult). So is "sniping" someone with a minion off a belly bounce. So is mezzing and disrupting an entire team and letting your teammates get away. Or when 2-3 people die from trying to kill you during your passive.

Everything about his kit is just so satisfying.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

Pimp Drakula posted:

I haven't played much Ah Puch since the end of season 2 (I think?) or whenever they nerfed CDR/health/defenses, but I think now that they decided to slap CDR on half of the items in the game, dirtybubble-type builds might be more viable again? You build a ton of defenses, CDR and health, 1 or 2 pen items, and just play like a magical warrior, using your corpses for self heal. This works particularly well when you don't get enough peel from your teammates.

So any combination of 35-40% CDR (boots, spirit robe, mantle of discord, shield of regrowth, spear of desolation), more defenses/health (gem of iso, eth staff, urchin, jade emperor), pen (boots, desolation, void stone), situational items (nemean, void stone, stone of fal, winged blade).

I like playing bruisers so these are my favorite types of build. Especially in arena where people don't seem to know how to press tab and look at your tanky build, so you always get lokis ulting you while you're surrounded by your teammates, and you get to spam VEL when they inevitably die after wasting their full kit to take off 40% of your health.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

I usually go (fair warning: Arena casual scrub territory): CDR Boots / Warlock's / Chronos / Spear / Gem if I need extra durability + their team doesn't have a lot of movement abilities already (if they do, it doesn't matter if they're slower, since they can just jump/dash out of your poo poo anyway) , Rod if I don't / Shard MAYBE if their team built enough protections.

Overall the key to making Puch feel good, in my experience, is not trying to do 3/4 of someone's life in one combo, but planning+weaving in and out of the fight enough that you can land 1/2 their life in two combos. Also landing the combo (132 in the right timing order causes the corpses to hit as the toss hits as the purge goes off) is deceptively difficult to get down, especially on wonkier ping.

Esoteric Scientist posted:

I haven't played much Ah Puch since the end of season 2 (I think?) or whenever they nerfed CDR/health/defenses, but I think now that they decided to slap CDR on half of the items in the game, dirtybubble-type builds might be more viable again? You build a ton of defenses, CDR and health, 1 or 2 pen items, and just play like a magical warrior, using your corpses for self heal. This works particularly well when you don't get enough peel from your teammates.

So any combination of 35-40% CDR (boots, spirit robe, mantle of discord, shield of regrowth, spear of desolation), more defenses/health (gem of iso, eth staff, urchin, jade emperor), pen (boots, desolation, void stone), situational items (nemean, void stone, stone of fal, winged blade).

I like playing bruisers so these are my favorite types of build. Especially in arena where people don't seem to know how to press tab and look at your tanky build, so you always get lokis ulting you while you're surrounded by your teammates, and you get to spam VEL when they inevitably die after wasting their full kit to take off 40% of your health.

I will try both of these tonight. I've been trying to find a mage that people want to be far away from; Hades is effective but seems to work best with defense instead of kill power and if people learn to disperse when he appears his 2/3/4 don't give much recourse, Anubis with Blink and copious pen/lifesteal has been very promising but if I miss with his 2 I might as well disengage.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pimp Drakula posted:

I will try both of these tonight. I've been trying to find a mage that people want to be far away from
Zhong Kui my dude. Relatively hard-to-miss stun combo, decent damage, ult that's just "run around making people miserable near you." Eat ghosts, stack kills.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
Yeah, Zhong is definitely a very strong late-game mage. You struggle early due to lack of defenses, health and mobility, but once you get somewhat tanky you become a monster. I think my only issue with him is that outside of conquest stacking his passive can be a pain.

Chang'e is also a very good late game bruiser-type mage. She's not as naturally tanky as Zhong (frontline mage) or Hades (guardian), but if you just build her like a bruiser, your passive and abilities make up for the slightly lower defense/health pool. Once you get used to juking while using your abilities you become very annoying to deal with.

You can also just go for high damage guardians, like Bacchus or Cabrakan. Build some defenses, power, lots of pen, and burst down their carries.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Knifegrab posted:

I usually play guardians (partly because no one else wants too)
Cabrakan can put out crazy damage for a guardian, and I've been enjoying Kuzenbo. He's not very controlling for a support, but he can be super disruptive with his ultimate, and his nene can do respectable damage.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Cabrakan is so stupid-fun.

Your initiation: Run up to them while you're sped up and immune to slows+roots, stunning the first person you hit, and maybe other people if they also hit you.
Your poke: Do the same thing but run away.
Your teamfights: Do the same thing but hit your ult.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Cabrakan is great, dumb fun. No better feeling than exploding a mage with his 1+Soul Reaver+Poly

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Not an underrated character at all but I play the hell out of Nox. Max CDR first, and just hold people still with 1 for my team to beat on and use my 2 to interrupt abilities and pop stealthers. I know some people play her as a primary damage dealer but I love ending a game 4 0 22.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Delpino posted:

Not an underrated character at all but I play the hell out of Nox. Max CDR first, and just hold people still with 1 for my team to beat on and use my 2 to interrupt abilities and pop stealthers. I know some people play her as a primary damage dealer but I love ending a game 4 0 22.

I played her for the first time last night as a pure damage dealer. Dropping a bomb and then holding the enemy in place is just so brutally satisfying and its hard to gently caress up. Then when I'm about to die I just get inside my teams neigh-unkillable guardian and slip away.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Nox is a sleeper assassin or the best crowd control in the game depending on build; she's my only diamond god and the only god I'll go down the chest rabbit hole to get skins for.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Pimp Drakula posted:

So I've been playing A LOT of Ah Puch in arena and my build is: Book of Thoth, Pen Boots, Gem Iso, Spear Magus, Rod Tahuti, something/doesn't matter.

Abilities: one in each to start. His 1 to level three for the 2 corpses. Max the explosion, then Max his 3, then finish his 1. Put points in Ult whenever you can, in between all that.

I do at least 35k damage a match, typically top or second in the game. Once you're on the third item or going into fourth you should be able to just use his 1 -3 - 2 combo to pop a mage/hunter/assassin, or a least when his 3 is done ticking they can be one shot by someone else.

Just stay back and let the corpses do the work. I only ult when the enemies are doing a team push, chasing an ally, or wrapping around to gank someone getting a buff. His 132 is all you need.

Edit: Oh, and I find that Gem of Iso is almost a must to really secure the crazy amount of damage his combo can do.

Knee fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Pimp Drakula posted:

Nox is a sleeper assassin or the best crowd control in the game depending on build; she's my only diamond god and the only god I'll go down the chest rabbit hole to get skins for.

I hope you die alone

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nucular Carmul posted:

I hope you die alone
Sounds like someone should be playing more Cabrakan, the guy who can be immune to roots whenever he wants and is fast enough to run across her AoE without a care in the world, then stun her and rip off her entire passive within its duration with ticks of his 3.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I cannot get Cabrakan to work and cannot find a good build for him on smitefire.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Play him like an assassin. He's not a support. He's not a tank. He's not a disruptor or initiator. He kills squishy targets - that's why they call him "Fat Loki."

Blink, Pen Boots, Urchin, Soul Reaver, Polynomicon, Thoth, Obsidian Shard. Second relic...Sunder. Might as well.

(non-Conquest)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

In Arena I literally just build him with whatever looks interesting that game and it's hard to lose if your team understands "stunned guy should be dead guy" and you don't run in when they're on the other side of the map completely.
Reinforced Boots? Sure. CDR boots? Why not. Pen boots? Get in motherfucker.
One aura item this game? Not a bad choice. All aura items this game? Couldn't fuckin' hurt.

The only stuff I'd recommend against on him is attack speed and physical damage. Anything else: Why the gently caress not. Stun kids toss walls get money.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Very interesting video by Wolfy2032: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wtVfS8qKYk

He's predicting a tank meta because of the availability of very cheap strong bruiser items. Skip to 11:05 for his discussion about specific items otherwise watch from the beginning where he justifies why warrior in duo, guardian in solo+jungle works.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

When you're on a win streak for too long in Clash:

Then it gets auto-corrected by:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

In Arena I literally just build him with whatever looks interesting that game and it's hard to lose if your team understands "stunned guy should be dead guy" and you don't run in when they're on the other side of the map completely.
Reinforced Boots? Sure. CDR boots? Why not. Pen boots? Get in motherfucker.
One aura item this game? Not a bad choice. All aura items this game? Couldn't fuckin' hurt.

The only stuff I'd recommend against on him is attack speed and physical damage. Anything else: Why the gently caress not. Stun kids toss walls get money.

I SWEAR TO GOD!!! People don't understand this concept at all. I love playing Fafnir and other stunners and it's like come on.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/HiRezAjax/status/839573993275469824

Next god confirmed. Cernunnos, Celtic hunter

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Already liking how his passive works. The melee cleave and then the 1 is kinda cool too.

Edit: so 2 Bramble Blast seems a bit on the ridiculous style. A root with a slow (although weak)

Then the Horn Charge... Why give him a charge? It doesn't have a knock-up/back at least... But like... Man he's doing too good right now in the showing.

Ultimate: Wild Hunt- Holy poo poo! An AoE polymorph? That seems a bit strong. They say it takes a huge windup but like... It's not that hard to capture people in that.

Zain fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 8, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I could see him being really if/when they nerf double-Ich builds, since they just said he's got low base, good scaling, and the current Hunter Meta seems to favor lots of on-hit fast attacking, so you'd really only be leaning on his kit for its utility.

Unless you put him in the jungle and built like an AD caster, at which point, who're you putting in the double lane, or what role are you dropping entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

There doesn't appear to be any kind of cc or bonus attached to the charge, so 9 times out of 10 it will be his escape. 1-point wonder.

I think his kit looks fine, but we won't know until we see the numbers. My biggest concern is the numbers on his 1 - %lifesteal, %slow, how much pen/bonus damage. It's going to determine how well he boxes against other hunters in lane.

edit-
Numbers posted on reddit page:

quote:

Skill 1 - Shifter of Seasons

Cernunnos imbues his glaive with the power of the four seasons. Activating this Ability rotates him through 4 different bonuses to his Basic Attacks.
Spring Growth: 8/11/14/17/20% Physical Lifesteal
Summer Heat: 5/10/15/20/25 (+20% of your Physical Power) Bonus damage
Autumn Decay: 5/10/15/20/25 Physical Protection Reduction
Winter Chill: 7/9/11/13/15% Slow

:eyepop:

oh god he out-boxes everyone :negative:

Welp it's going to be fun watching Zap/Barra furiously mash 1 between pen and bonus damage

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 8, 2017

• Locked thread