Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Gourmet!

poo poo snipe, no critters handy, have a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spotted this brown snake slithering down the street. Maybe a brown snake?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Saw this little toad at a work site. We picked up some pallets and a dozen of them scattered in all directions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
spent way too much time photographing a single ladybug at work

Captain Invictus posted:

took a break while I was on vacation. back to posting!

this little guy would NOT get off the belt when I was about to start things up. I was trying real hard to get him to move but he was having none of it, and then started cleaning himself, so I took some pictures. then got a piece of paper and scooped him up and threw him out the bay doors to hopefully not die inside the hellbuilding

dirty butt

he kept doing this every time I tried to move him, lifting his butt in the air and putting his head down, probably ready to release that terrible smelling yellow stuff ladybugs release.

just a decent front pic

cleanin'

a short video of him cleaning himself. apologies for the extremely shaky cam, I had to lean over the belt while a huge fan blew at me and try and keep the zoomed in shot in focus on the little guy while everything around me and that I stand on vibrates constantly just from machinery movement at all times. if someone can recommend me a thing to quickly and easily edit the clip to only stay on him without shaking everywhere, that'd be cool. also, he's got a little stump for a front leg, poor guy.

edit: big ups to Biosterous for editing the video a little to not be so absurdly shaky, it's still a bit because of the awkward as hell filming position I was taking to try to film this little guy while the camera was fully zoomed in, but it's a lot better than the old version:
https://i.imgur.com/iJ9pF1c.mp4

whether it's a local ladybug or one that broke out of one of the many boxes of ladybugs we ship through work, I can't say. the dirty, hairy butt leads me to believe it's from nearby, though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That ladybug looks like it has a fungal STD called labouls.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

McGavin posted:

That ladybug looks like it has a fungal STD called labouls.

I saw this on a ladybug years ago and never knew what it was called, thank you!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So uh, MrsYenko just sent these from work.

Apparently Coconut Creek squirrels give zero fucks.

Update: The squirrel is fine, the snake is dead. He took a pair of rodent incisors to the brain parts.

Nature is a motherfucker sometimes.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 24, 2021

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
striped cucumber beetle party in a zucchini flower, with a bee (???) and another bee (?) flying into the frame

robberfly taking a rest on a rake

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:argh:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Update: The squirrel is fine, the snake is dead. He took a pair of rodent incisors to the brain parts.

I had no idea they could kill a snake of that size, squirrels are jerks :argh:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's a park in Seattle with a notorious female squirrel named Kevin that is afraid of no human and will climb you to get your food.
https://www.kuow.org/stories/kevin-the-girl-squirrel-really-wants-your-cheez-its

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Oh poo poo! Coconut Creek goon?? :blush: We keep the squirrels on our block well-fed so this can't be one of ours LOL

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

dung beetle

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Green heron

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A hawk of some kind, spotted in Arizona. I tried using a guide to identify the species but none of them matched up quite right in the example pictures.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Coopers Hawk maybe? Guessing by the long tail

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Spotted this guy today (and several others, but this was the only good picture):

It's a ground beetle, but I'm not sure which one. It looks kinda like Carabus violaceus, but that one is supposed to have a clear violet fringe. Carabus glabratus doesn't have the fringe, but the photo on wikipedia has less clear lines compared to this one.

It also looks bit like Calosoma inquisitor, but from what I read that one shouldn't be this far north in Norway (near Trondheim).

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

The other night I had a nice treat. My old man spotted a cicada molting on the leaf of a decorative plant. I had only seen it in person once before when I was little, so I fetched my camera gear. It was a great spot to set up on the tripod and really pull in close.

You can see both sets of wings folded alongside here.

Completely out. Wings starting to unfold and take shape.

Wings at full size.

He/She stayed on the next leaf overnight, letting the exoskeleton harden. It took about 20 minutes from the start with just the head broken free to being completely molted. By the afternoon of the next day they were gone, off to start their adult life.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Green heron

I love green herons - there's a local park where at least one or two have gotten surprisingly social, as far as herons go.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Literally A Person posted:

Hey Critterquesters!

:ducksiren: It's time for this thread to get goodmined and a new OP to take it's place. Let's give it a week to wrap it up and someone can start us back up again!:ducksiren:

Okay hi it's actually been like a month since this was posted, would you still like us to create a new thread?

If so, I can get started on a new OP!!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

(Here is the OP I have drafted!)

Welcome to CRITTERQUEST 2021!

What is Critterquest? It's a thread to post photos of those everyday creature encounters. Ask for IDs, share cool findings, or discuss your experiences with the critters posted in this thread! Chat about critters. Learn about critters!

:siren: CAUTION: This thread will contain pictures of bugs, spiders, snakes, and other potential phobia triggers. Birds and other wildlife are often shared, but nothing is off limits when it comes to Critterquest.

There are only a few rules:

1. Please post only LIVING critters. Identification help requests for deceased animals may be posted, but should be linked with :nws: warnings.
2. When asking for an ID, please provide your general location. You don't need to be too specific, but even saying something like "NE United States" can be very helpful in narrowing down the possibilities.
3. Do NOT mock someone's photo quality or photography skills. There are Dorkroom threads for photography advice and discussion.
4. Please, no house pets or domesticated animals unless they're part of a critter encounter.

We also ask that you limit content to photos that you've taken yourself, though sharing from friends and family is certainly welcome.

Links to past Critterquest threads:
2017-2020
2014-2015

Some related threads you may find worthwhile:
A Bird Thread
Dorkroom Bird Photography Thread
Dorkroom Macro Photography Thread
Dorkroom Pet Photography Thread

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Sounds good to me. Is there a rule against no zoo/aquarium animals as well?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

my cat is norris posted:

Okay hi it's actually been like a month since this was posted, would you still like us to create a new thread?

If so, I can get started on a new OP!!

Sorry, Norris. Yes, let's do it. Drop a link to the new thread here and then I'll get this one closed and shipped off.

Lazy mod.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Red Queen posted:

Sounds good to me. Is there a rule against no zoo/aquarium animals as well?

I double-checked and yes those pics are typically barred (though we get some good zoo and aviary poo poo from time to time anyway).

LAP YOU'RE NOT A BAD OR LAZY MOD. I forgot about your request, too!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 26, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Also, any title ideas? Best I've got is "Critterquest 2021: Nature is a motherfucker sometimes"...

Maybe "Pollen bros, porcupals, feathered friends, and more"?

"Your reason for realizing that spiders are cute"

"Backyard wildlife sometimes found in your underwear drawer"

"What is this thing with too many legs?"

"Found a brown snake, is it a brown snake?"

idk, help

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 26, 2021

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Referencing the mushroom thread has been relevant here and there, dunno if that warrants inclusion in the op tho: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850811

my cat is norris posted:

Also, any title ideas?

Sad doots, cool newts

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think the mushrooms link is worth including for sure!

i also really like rhyming titles

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Critterquest 2021: huntin' varmints

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Critterquest 2021: we noticed it's not 2020 anymore

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

Sad doots, cool newts

I like this

There's another photo link you might add to the new thread:
Dorkroom Wildlife Photography Thread

There's also another birding thread in Pet Island but it probably makes sense just to include the one you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:siren: New thread new thread, fill it with pics! :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974602