Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Some sort of moth I guess? I have never seen the coloration before. It's also pretty big. I struck it with my car at 80 km/h and when I got home (half an hour later) It was lodged in my windshield wiper and still alive.

The reason I didn't stop sooner to check it out was that the immense wing size made me suspect that it was a big horse fly and you do not interact with those without brandishing a whip and a chair. This was in Sweden.

I put it in a jar to show to a friend and it stopped moving so I assumed it was dead. The morning after it's still alive but can't fly. What do moths eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure that's an Elephant Hawk Moth, they eat flower nectar.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like an elephant Hawk-Moth. They have nectar sucking mouth parts, so I guess some honey might do? I dunno

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was wandering around the neighborhood with a friend last night drunk as poo poo and I think I saw a fox. I love foxes, and I had the presence of mind to photograph it for my little wildlife picture collection I've recently started. We had a little staredown as I got my phone out and then it scampered away, unfortunately this is the only picture my drunk self got from that little encounter.

Definite failure in taking a good photo, but I'd be interested to see if anyone can actually identify it from this picture.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Wow, been a minute since I've seen a critterquest thread.

I guess I have some critters.

Black Rat Snake swimming

Same Black Rat Snake climbing up a tree right next to me, giving no fucks detectable by science

Blue Tailed Skink

Whistling Duck 500 miles out of it's normal range

Likkle baby snapping turtle

Brand new Painted Turtle

Grown-rear end Box Turtle

Six Spotted Tiger Beetle what got Eight Spots

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

tweet my meat posted:

I was wandering around the neighborhood with a friend last night drunk as poo poo and I think I saw a fox. I love foxes, and I had the presence of mind to photograph it for my little wildlife picture collection I've recently started. We had a little staredown as I got my phone out and then it scampered away, unfortunately this is the only picture my drunk self got from that little encounter.

Definite failure in taking a good photo, but I'd be interested to see if anyone can actually identify it from this picture.

Looks like it could also be a 'yote?

e: Nevermind that -- tail looks too bushy and you did say it looked like a fox. Common things being common, probably just a Grey fox?

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 2, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah didn't look like a coyote, common gray looks about right.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

El Burbo posted:

Looks like an elephant Hawk-Moth. They have nectar sucking mouth parts, so I guess some honey might do? I dunno

Sadly it died while I was at work :(

But looking at those pictures it seems that a few whole pieces of it was missing from the collision.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What kind of spidey is this? Found in a shed in San Jose, CA

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

perhaps Zoropsis spinimana? similar / related to wolf spiders but not actually one of them
native to southern Europe, a recent introduction to California

vaguely fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 2, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy loving poo poo look at that Katydid. Goddamn that's a pretty critter. This is a video of some of the recently-discovered creatures in the last 18 months. That katydid is one of the most beautiful insects I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_Hft12dIw&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 2, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/p0kDq8h.gifv

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Is that a color changing spider!?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

it changes the size of the silver patches when it feels threatened, maybe to make itself more difficult to see? probably needs more study tbh
there are a few spiders that genuinely do change colour, such as the flower crab spiders Misumena sp. (yellow/white) and Thomisus sp. (yellow/white/pink) which try to camouflage themselves against whatever flower they're sitting on, they're so great :kimchi:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It looks like a Hershey's Kiss in fishnets.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
This bird (crow, I think) sure was worked up about something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7kxVDhWaBc

(Central Arkansas)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Maybe a juvenile begging for food?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The mosquitoes are too numerous for much Critterquesting in Edmonton these days, but here are some sightings from earlier this year.

Come on down from there! I just want to be friends!

It makes sense that porcupines would shed their quills as they're just specialized hairs, but I hadn't thought about it until I saw a pile of them outside one of their dens.

I hope this robin was also shedding.

I spent quite a lot of time down by the beaver lodge in early May and it was pretty great!

It's quite an ecosystem down there!

Muskrats are well known to live in beaver lodges. Until recently they were thought to be mooches, but it turns out they actually help with maintenance.

Watching these two interact was a real treat.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Muskrat love.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What the heck is this thing? We're in San Antonio, TX.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

hooah posted:

What the heck is this thing? We're in San Antonio, TX.

Looks Iike an assassin bug of some kind but someone else can probably be more specific. That proboscis is used for piercing other bugs and sucking out their insides.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Looks Iike an assassin bug of some kind but someone else can probably be more specific. That proboscis is used for piercing other bugs and sucking out their insides.

I bet it's a wheel bug, from that midsagittal spine

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's a kissing bug

E: apparently also a vector for chagas disease

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

my cat is norris posted:

Maybe a juvenile begging for food?

Yes! It's that time of year again. I think the parents feed young crows out of annoyance, because sometimes the begging gets so bad even I want to get them something to eat.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I neglected to post winter bird feeder photos, so here are some highlights:

Our local squirrel Doreen, who filled the tree with peanuts and has since sadly disappeared.

A nice floofy chickadee.

We didn't get a lot of blue jays, but they always made their presence known with those distinctive calls.

This sparrow had some ice stuck to its beak the entire time it was visiting the feeder and I have to assume it affected its ability to eat and drink. Hope it melted before he starved!

Red-breasted nuthatches are still my fave.

These are beautiful. I need to get myself an actual camera, instead of my crappy phone.

MORE BIRDS

Magpie

Coal Tit (or as I like to think of them, European Chickadees)

Normally they're very skittish and flitty, but I'm sure this is the same bird that visits me everyday and so has finally agreed to strike a pose.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

In the everglades

Gator, of course

Birds

Bugs

And then they hosed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress (YEAH), LUBBERS

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Here's a southern alligator lizard I caught in my back yard.

Finally something different than the western fence lizards everywhere.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

El Burbo posted:

In the everglades

Gator, of course

Birds

Bugs

And then they hosed

FogHelmut posted:

Here's a southern alligator lizard I caught in my back yard.

Finally something different than the western fence lizards everywhere.

such cool pics

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Consider this Part 1 of me going through my backlog of poo poo to share in this thread starting from like two years ago enjoy!

Can't remember what story, if any, this bee has. Looks like Bombus vagans. I found her taking a rest just outside the house.

I remember finding this moth scrambling through the grass while mowing the lawn. At first I thought it failed to emerge but I put it on the side of the shed and it inflated its wings and eventually flew away just fine!

Now for a three-part series of photographs I like to call Making the Horse People in This Thread Incredibly Jealous. For those of you that don't know/remember I was working as a field biologist in summer of 2015 where we tracked wild horses and collected their turds to look for parasites! This is a small band of young adults we found somewhere between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg, Alberta.

The lead stallion and mare took a hard look at me for a while. Eventually the stallion considered me uninteresting or nonthreatening enough and walked away but the mare took a shine to me for some reason and came up to say hello. She kept sniffing my face, particularly around my mouth. I don't know what her deal was but I assume she smelled the dried mango I had for a snack shortly before this. I thought it was pretty funny and eventually started to laugh at her, which ruined the magic and scared her away. Horses are dumb.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mak0rz posted:

Now for a three-part series of photographs I like to call Making the Horse People in This Thread Incredibly Jealous. For those of you that don't know/remember I was working as a field biologist in summer of 2015 where we tracked wild horses and collected their turds to look for parasites! This is a small band of young adults we found somewhere between Rocky Mountain House and Nordegg, Alberta.

The lead stallion and mare took a hard look at me for a while. Eventually the stallion considered me uninteresting or nonthreatening enough and walked away but the mare took a shine to me for some reason and came up to say hello. She kept sniffing my face, particularly around my mouth. I don't know what her deal was but I assume she smelled the dried mango I had for a snack shortly before this. I thought it was pretty funny and eventually started to laugh at her, which ruined the magic and scared her away. Horses are dumb.

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying.

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wild stallions will mark territory with droppings that are laced with pheromones. Once I saw three adolescents fighting and they went back and forth between biting/kicking each other and trying to poo poo the stinkiest turds and poo poo was flying everywhere because they would stomp and kick it around while fighting. They eventually got to the point where their asses were shooting blanks. Their anuses would convulse but nothing would come out.

Noble beasts, horses.

almost as noble as my job that involved being vigilant of horse anal activity

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I never get to post in the critterquest threads because, A.) I'm too slow to get good shots when I see something cool and, B.) the wildlife around here is pretty mundane to begin with. Oh, look! Raccoons! A possum! Holy poo poo, squirrels!

But I was out on my back porch today when this itty bitty little mantis decided to just stroll by.

Hey guy!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

saw the biggest hornet in the universe yesterday

it's actually a moth :ssh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sesiids :swoon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

financially racist posted:

saw the biggest hornet in the universe yesterday

it's actually a moth :ssh:

That would fool me enough that I wouldn't want to get close enough to be sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dick Trauma posted:

That would fool me enough that I wouldn't want to get close enough to be sure.

the antennae and wings were a dead giveaway for me before i even got close to it

i'm also a nerd with a biology minor focusing on entomology so v:shobon:v

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
There were at least 7 of these big bastards on this fire ring. Should I have skewered and roasted them?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I live in Los Angeles so I only see the mundane stuff, but on my way home yesterday I came across this oddly colored pigeon. It was missing it's breast feathers and was almost mesmerized by its reflection in a mirrored door. It let me get much closer than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

can someone id this weird caterpillar

https://youtu.be/kQYzNMlZXJY?t=305