Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The garage wren babies are now somewhat visible with their hungry little beaks. Momma wren has a big job giving each one an insect, she's been pretty busy the last few days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IbIXA8e2SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

That's in your garage, right? I feel like the outside world will be a real surprise to them when they're flying and mom and dad show them how to get out.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

It is in fact a dekay's brown snake.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

poverty goat posted:

A few mins ago I walked outside and my crow friend immediately flew over and perched in the nearest tree, so I put out some dinner for him and he came down and ate it right away. So that's pretty cool. Seems he's figured out that I'm me and I trade food for caws.

I've been feeding the local corvids for YEARS and they're still terrified of me. It's so annoying. Glad yours are working out though!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Stickman posted:

Nice shots! It looks just like the long-jawed spider in this article, but unfortunately the species isn't indentified. Maybe Tetragnatha extensa?

Oh that sounds about right, especially given locale and behavior. We found him in a very swampy area.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

here he comes
and he's gone again

Nap Ghost

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i've seen like 4 muskrats in the last week and didnt get a single photo

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Red Queen posted:

That's in your garage, right? I feel like the outside world will be a real surprise to them when they're flying and mom and dad show them how to get out.

Yeah, there's some windows in there, three small ones in one of the garage door panels and one large one on the opposite side, but everything is closed up most of the time. I'm a little concerned about fledglings being trapped in the garage and getting stuck on the floor, but I've also been concerned about the wrens getting in and out okay and getting enough food and water which so far has not been a problem for them, so I guess I'm going to not worry about it unless something obvious happens. I check out the recorded motion videos a couple of times a day (there's a lot of 10 second clips of momma wren just fidgeting around) so hopefully I'll have a better idea of what's going on when it gets closer to that time. I'm guessing we have a week or so, but I'm no birb expert.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

I saw you have an Amcrest, too, I absolutely love mine, lets me take cool shots like the one below, where I can never tell if this is genuine leucism or if a wedding/funeral dove made a sexy detour on its way home:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Annoyingly backlit house sparrow:

Black-crowned night heron. First time spotting one of these!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been feeding the local corvids for YEARS and they're still terrified of me. It's so annoying. Glad yours are working out though!

He won''t let me see him eat; part of the deal is I have to leave the food way to the side where there's no line of sight through the door into the house. That's why there are no pics. He was a little more bold at first but a dog saw him and barked through the glass and it took a month to get him to come back. Now that we've definitely established contact I'll work on trying to make him get closer if he wants treats, and be sure to keep the dogs away.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Speaking of corvids, I forgot these pictures from a super interesting encounter this morning. I was out for my run (sans SLR) and on my way back I saw one of the gigantic local ravens on the ground. It took off when I came up the path and landed in a tree, so I went to get a closer look. Another bird flew up to harass it, which wasn't all that exciting until I realized that theother bird was a hawk. The hawk flew off in a bit and then the raven went on its way, then the hawk attacked it in mid-air and they continued their squabble until I was unable to keep up.

On the way back up the path I saw a juvenile raven with one of its wings hanging slightly, so I approached to see if it could still fly. It was able to glide a short distance then hopped off into the woods. Hopefully it heals okay, and I wonder if the hawk/raven confrontation was related to this injury. I would have tried to catch it and take it to the wildlife rehab centre but the woods are dense, it was moving pretty quickly, I was about a kilometre away from home, and I didn't have anything to restrain or hold it with. Alas.

Enjoy these terrible zoomed in dimly lit cell phone pics!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

spotted this little fellow on my pea plants yesterday; they're probably about 1cm long at most

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

That's okay I didn't want to shower anyway.

The sparrows in my yard (and vents) need to work on their parenting skills. This happens every year!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I wonder if they've been pushed out by cowbird babies or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Grimey Drawer

my cat is norris posted:

I wonder if they've been pushed out by cowbird babies or something similar.

Not impossible, but brown-headed cowbirds usually don't do this. Assuming the cowbird mom timed things right and got the eggs in so that they'd hatch first, cowbird babies can benefit from having the host chicks there since more chicks = more begging to inspire more feeding from the host chicks (and the cowbird chicks gets most of the feeding).

It's mostly the old-world cuckoos that do the heave-ho.

Sometimes it's just a poorly constructed nest or else a parent that got spooked and while escaping the nest accidentally pushes some babies out. Or occasionally some other species will take over a nest.