Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sexy tiger boobs posted:

That's more likely the work of your neighborhood Cooper's Hawk. Or just an rear end in a top hat cat.

No, it's definitely the crows.

I'm friends with a pair of crows who've nested in the trees by my house and had 3 kids this year. We hang out every day, they come when I whistle and even when they're not eating my treats they like to bring back food from around the neighborhood to play with and drop in the water dish before they eat it on their rail there. Which is the crow zone.

There is a coopers hawk and whenever he comes around the crows kick his rear end. I think this probably has something to do w/ a big clump of tail feather Mr Crow is missing.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hey Critterquesters!

:ducksiren: It's time for this thread to get goodmined and a new OP to take it's place. Let's give it a week to wrap it up and someone can start us back up again!:ducksiren:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oops, I guess that means I should post some friends from work before the thread closes. Most of these will be birds since that's what I work with, but there are a few exceptions.

An Acorn Woodpecker

Western Bluebird

California Quail

Greater Roadrunner

An understandably irate tri-colored blackbird. (He was released safely)

I think this is a San Diego Gopher Snake, but it may be Pacific instead.

A soft digfriend

A western toad (who was placed back into the mud immediately after the pictures)

A black-headed grosbeak with strong opinions

A wild red-eared slider that was successfully rehomed out of our wilderness.

And a handsome yellow-headed blackbird, who was released.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:rip: Critterquest 2020.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Maybe the next thread will solve the mystery of the sad doot

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

for the first time in my life I have a patio worth spending time on and now I am all in on questing for critters

so far I've just seen some bunnies and some robins but I think I'm gonna go get a birdfeeder this week

godspeed, critters. til our next meeting.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

who's going to OP the new thread

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Enfys posted:

Maybe the next thread will solve the mystery of the sad doot

I saw a sad doot irl a year or two ago and I have some bad news: it's just some hair from the beauty salon stuck to some other trash on the side of the dumpster

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Any ideas on what these are? I was upstate in NY over the weekend and saw thousands of these on the shady side of trees, mostly birch. The trees looked dead with little to no leaves.

There were also caterpillars(?) everywhere on the property, mostly dead--unsure what is going on but it seems like the biome is out of wack in some way.

This one was pretty, though!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Them's gypsy moths, so yeah I bet the trees did look rough.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that's an odd twig...

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

the yeti posted:

Them's gypsy moths, so yeah I bet the trees did look rough.

Apparently this year is the worst infestation in decades, thanks for helping with the ID. We're going to let the property owner know, but it doesn't sound like much can be done at this point.

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/gypsy-moth-infestation-is-worst-in-decades

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Any ideas on what these are? I was upstate in NY over the weekend and saw thousands of these on the shady side of trees, mostly birch. The trees looked dead with little to no leaves.

There were also caterpillars(?) everywhere on the property, mostly dead--unsure what is going on but it seems like the biome is out of wack in some way.

This one was pretty, though!

Ugh, that reminds me of the couple years I lived in Connecticut as a kid. Nothing like climbing a tree and putting your hand into a clump of that poo poo.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Critters from Belize:

Cicada carapace

Think this might be a juvenile red winged grasshopper, but it was only about 1.5-2" in length

A moth

Some Googling leads me to believe this is a Polistes Carnifex. Our guide told us to stay TF away.

The remains of a rhinoceros beetle

Iguana. Green? Black? You deice

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I don't know if this counts as a gift or not but the crows found their own bread and apple and brought it back to the water dish to make this soup for me today

Yesterday Mr and Mrs crow were trying to teach one of their children how to make the soup but instead he jumped in and splashed around. Seems like a good kid.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Found a golden tortoise beetle on my morning glory this afternoon. I was out on my balcony and I saw a very bright flying thing and then there was this extremely golden beetle sitting on my plant. Apparently Ipomoea (morning glory, sweet potato, moonflower, etc) and other Convolvulaceae are host plants to that beetle, and I noticed it's got holes on some leaves so it's probably been nibbling on it. This is about the brightest beetle I've ever seen, it literally looked like jewelry.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

friend or foe?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
We just got back from an unpleasantly hot trip to Jasper. We saw a couple deer and elk, but as usual I was more excited about the smaller things.

Encountered this hardy and large (for Alberta) spider near the top of a mountain.

Rescued this better-than-OK moth (gallium sphynx) from a hotel lobby.

Trail frog.

Lots of damselflies about (but not enough to deal with the clouds of mosquitoes).

Interesting beetle.

So many dragonflies out this morning!

My mom sent me the next two:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Found a golden tortoise beetle on my morning glory this afternoon. I was out on my balcony and I saw a very bright flying thing and then there was this extremely golden beetle sitting on my plant. Apparently Ipomoea (morning glory, sweet potato, moonflower, etc) and other Convolvulaceae are host plants to that beetle, and I noticed it's got holes on some leaves so it's probably been nibbling on it. This is about the brightest beetle I've ever seen, it literally looked like jewelry.

I really like iridescent beetles too.

This is a jewel beetle of some kind I saw in south western Australia, near Albany.

Landed on my hiking partner's back.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don’t know what fly this is but it had a bright red butt

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Anyone know what this caterpillar I found in the garden is? I'm in south UK. I tried google lens but all it helpfully told me is that it is some kind of caterpillar!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

This dragonfly was sitting still on the sidewalk so I picked it up and left it on a bush. Hopefully it was okay!

Love them bees.

Leafhoppers are strange little creatures.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I have a small area in my back yard that I let grow wild with native plants, and I caught this bee(?) hanging out on the black-eyed susans. After looking at the picture I'm not sure it's a bee. Central Arkansas USA

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
this bee was either making love to this cricket-type bug, eating it, or both (the bug was still alive)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mozi posted:

this bee was either making love to this cricket-type bug, eating it, or both (the bug was still alive)

it was laying an egg inside it which will hatch and then eat it from the inside out. you can even see that in action; look close at the back end of both insects.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vortmax posted:

I have a small area in my back yard that I let grow wild with native plants, and I caught this bee(?) hanging out on the black-eyed susans. After looking at the picture I'm not sure it's a bee. Central Arkansas USA

It's a bee! Dunno what it is for sure but I think it's a longhorn, on account of its long "horns."

Mozi posted:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it was laying an egg inside it which will hatch and then eat it from the inside out. you can even see that in action; look close at the back end of both insects.

Not a bee and there's no parasitism here. This is an asilid, a species of predatory fly. Many of them are bee mimics. The other insect is indeed lunch!

In any case, there are no bees that parasitize other insects in the way that parasitoid wasps do (as you describe). Bees and their larvae are strictly herbivorous.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 8, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
to sully the name of the noble bee... how horrible

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mak0rz posted:

It's a bee! Dunno what it is for sure but I think it's a longhorn, on account of its long "horns."

Not a bee and there's no parasitism here. This is an asilid, a species of predatory fly. Many of them are bee mimics. The other insect is indeed lunch!

In any case, there are no bees that parasitize other insects in the way that parasitoid wasps do (as you describe). Bees and their larvae are strictly herbivorous.

Awesome info!

To me, you can dig the shape of the eyes on this guy to get a quick idea that it’s deffo not a bee. The... stalky? Kinda distinct shape of the eyes is a handy discriminant

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 8, 2021

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks! I'm always glad to see bees enjoying the wildflowers out there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mak0rz posted:

i glanced at it quickly and thought it was a wasp, especially with what i thought was an ovipositor at its back end which must just be random debris. guess i should stick to hemipterans lmao.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Some more critters from the back garden

Some kind of hover fly? This is the only shot I got of it before it buggered off but the back was light and darker grey stripes.

More of a caterpillar, think this might be a more mature version of the one I posted recently. Pretty certain this one is a yellow-tail moth caterpillar.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlongsideWild/status/1413276077577969669

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I had to do that to my mom once, that was fun

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Actually, it's a hummingbird MOTH you absolute ignoramus. Holy poo poo you're dumb. Have you ever been outside before, or is this your first time?
:goonsay:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

counterpoint: the moth is just as cool and exciting and cute as the bird so either way it's a win and we learn a thing!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

vaguely posted:

counterpoint: the moth is just as cool and exciting and cute as the bird so either way it's a win and we learn a thing!

Objectively true yet hard to sell to someone who's iffy on bugs (or very invested in attracting hummingbirds)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's just a hummingbird moth, who's acting like a bird that thinks it's a bee.
Is it us or it that's messed up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
hovering is powerful and nectar is a good source of food. Unsurprising convergent evolution imo

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Also here is a spoder trying to be skinny:

I know the fowl is a hooded merganser, but skinnyspoder is elusive to me. Western PA.

I think I found its Finnish cousin!

Also a jumping spider!

A tiny greenish beetle.

Celastrina argiolus, perhaps.

A Formica ant with some aphids.

A pseudoscorpion.

A flying bugge.

A basic fly.

I dunno, a hammerhead fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Constantly forget that pseudoscorpions exist...they're so weird.