Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Neofelis posted:

A flying bugge.

Mayfly of some kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was in a cabin near a pond over the weekend when I saw my first dobsonfly, a huge female, stuck between the doors of a sliding door. A few of us got hands-on to chase her out to freedom. I didn't know what it was but when I looked her up later, not only was she enormous, she could also have given us a serious chomp. Also feeling lucky we didn't swim in the pond and meet a bunch of hellgrammites :whitewater:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Anne Whateley posted:

I was in a cabin near a pond over the weekend when I saw my first dobsonfly, a huge female, stuck between the doors of a sliding door. A few of us got hands-on to chase her out to freedom. I didn't know what it was but when I looked her up later, not only was she enormous, she could also have given us a serious chomp. Also feeling lucky we didn't swim in the pond and meet a bunch of hellgrammites :whitewater:

the dobsonfly you saw very likely came from a stream and not the pond. hellgrammites generally live in realtively fast-moving water, although the first one i ever encountered was in a lake. either way, they can't live in places with stagnant water like ponds and swamps, there's not enough oxygen there.

on the other hand, toebiters can and will happily live in ponds and swamps and they are way, way scarier (and cooler) than hellgrammites.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I just spotted what was probably an Auplopus wasp carrying a legless spider up a tree in my backyard. It was moving pretty fast, so I couldn't get a pic or proper ID and am guessing Auplopus based on the legless spider.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I found what I thought was a caterpillar in some kale I got at the grocery store so I put it in a jar to see if it would make a chrysalis...turns out it was already a chrysalis, and this moth came out yesterday:

I hope it didn't immediately lay eggs on my kale.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's a butterfly, dude.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the dobsonfly you saw very likely came from a stream and not the pond. hellgrammites generally live in realtively fast-moving water, although the first one i ever encountered was in a lake. either way, they can't live in places with stagnant water like ponds and swamps, there's not enough oxygen there.

on the other hand, toebiters can and will happily live in ponds and swamps and they are way, way scarier (and cooler) than hellgrammites.
Brb never swimming in freshwater again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
These are definitely the largest beetles I've ever seen in my neck of the woods (Vermont)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-CnXgORlAA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mozi posted:

These are definitely the largest beetles I've ever seen in my neck of the woods (Vermont)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-CnXgORlAA
what species are those? they don't look like asian longhorns, I've definitely seen huge ones around here(massachusetts) before that look like that too.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Let's say I want to befriend some crows near my work. What food should I put out for them?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

what species are those? they don't look like asian longhorns, I've definitely seen huge ones around here(massachusetts) before that look like that too.

after a search i discovered they are probably Broad-necked Root Borers (Prionus laticollis)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

vortmax posted:

Let's say I want to befriend some crows near my work. What food should I put out for them?

Dog kibble and apples were the two things I found early on that the crows liked and I could leave out without other birds or squirrels eating them immediately. Once I figured this out it I made a point for a while to only put the treats out when they were there and could see me, and within two months they were flying straight over when I went outside to see if I had treats for them.

Also, as soon as the babies were all ready to leave the nest for good the whole family bailed on me. They aren't coming when I whistle anymore, but I think they're just all hanging out w/ the larger local group of crows. If I put some treats out when I hear a shitload of crows nearby they'll still come by eventually, but I can't whistle and summon them like I could in June.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

New house is blessed with stalwart guardians.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

my cat is norris posted:

we've got them and they're huge and kinda spooky since you always see this flicker out of the corner of your eye as one darts across the floor, but they also eat a ton of bad stuff so I'm okay with them being around.

semi-related, the vtuber Amelia Watson did something a little different and had a "bug stream" where she looked at a bunch of various arthropods and talked about them in detail, including the house centipede(timestamped below). I approve of vtubers doing more than just playing minecraft and stuff, more educational content for their viewers would be very cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbXkos5E3o&hd=1&t=2105s

the whole video is good fun, I was surprised at the amount of critters I was able to identify instantly both from personal knowledge and also stuff I've seen in this thread. it was very well received so I'm hoping she'll make it a regular feature.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:chloe:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Who's this? Attached themselves to my sock. I discovered the interloper mid-squat at the gym. Scared me a bit. Midwest.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That’s a woodlouse hunter! See them chompers, it’s exceptionally well equipped to prey on extra crunchy small invertebrates

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You can't look at macroscopic bugs with that kind of microscope. What a fraud.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

HELLO.

Longhorn beetle of some kind? Very handsome.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I saw a pretty depressed Stork today.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

HELLO.

Maybe https://bugguide.net/node/view/1849804/bgpage

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

my cat is norris posted:

HELLO.

Yup. Red Milkweed Beetle. Fun thing about these guys is that their eyes are split in half by their antennas, so they have 4 compound eyes. Hence the genus name Tetraopes. Also, they make squeeky noises when you pick them up.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:allears: Squeakbeetle is much cooler than expected.

Living in a slightly more removed area means exposure to more critters (and bugs!). Tonight I had a brilliant green leafhopper visit in addition to several large porch moths. Nearby I could hear a very passionate frog of some kind, and I also saw a skunk cross the road. I'm so happy!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

:allears: Squeakbeetle is much cooler than expected.

Living in a slightly more removed area means exposure to more critters (and bugs!). Tonight I had a brilliant green leafhopper visit in addition to several large porch moths. Nearby I could hear a very passionate frog of some kind, and I also saw a skunk cross the road. I'm so happy!

You should get a UV rig and light for moths and stuff :allears:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Made some friends on my morning run:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
rats with antlers

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The best rats have bushy tails

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Found this guy while walking the cat. Brisbane, Australia if anyone has insight.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

my cat is norris posted:

House centipedes are so cool. I only got to see them when I lived in a basement apartment. I remember hobbling down on all fours to the floor and trying to follow it as quickly as possible until it just like phased out of existence.

We planted some massive sunflower plants at work (each plant has easily over 50 capitula per plant) and I'm excited to share the bounty of friends they'll attract.

Also, my 2 year old nephew loves all critters. He likes to find grubs to give to my brother and always says "it's so cute!!"

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Bighorn sheep and prairie dogs, from Badlands National Park in South Dakota. I know the quality turned out pretty awful on the first pic but I couldn't really see how it turned out on my screen in the sun, and they were really far away.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Megabound posted:

Found this guy while walking the cat. Brisbane, Australia if anyone has insight.

Pretty similar to the Diaea dorsata I commonly see in my neck of the woods, but those aren't supposed to be found in Australia. Maybe Diaea evanida?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

this hoverfly has been stuck in our shop for a few days now but I guess there's no shortage of yummy flowers to forage from. Hard to get a good shot of him with my phone but second image is him on a small Gibasis flower.

tiny spider on a ray floret.

Look at the perfect gradient of dusty greys on this moth's abdomen!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Saw what I think is a male lesser stag beetle ambling across the path in my local park the other evening (Herefordshire, UK)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found a cicada shell on a tree in my backyard. :3:

For those of you with periodical cicadas this won't be interesting at all, but we don't get them here.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Have some bugs:

Tan Jumping Spider

Little Wood Satyr

And this is some some kind of litter moth, probably either a Common Idia Moth or American Idia moth. Look how loving small it is!!!

(Sorry about the image quality, all's I got is a phone camera)

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Moved into a new place Last month, so it's been a bit of sad journey. I'll miss my bird buddies, but I'm making some grackle companions to keep the squirrels off my house. Cleaning up the yard, there's many varieties of bugs like your standard woodlouse and meaty earthworm and such from all the downed and rotting wood. Cleaning up the pile of broken tile I found both many pill bugs (woodlouse) and apparently their predator the woodlouse spider

I also met what I initially thought was a moth that kept bothering me, but appears to be a tiger bee fly. It may be a parasitic predator but it does look rather rad, check out those wings

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Megabound posted:

Diaea/Lehtinelagia/Tharrhalea prasina?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

are the little white dots on this terrorist parasites?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No. You can't see the parasites until they burst out through the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

in any case,

e: also, for whatever reason the crows have started coming when I call them again. they were really excited this time for the fancy plating

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 19, 2021