Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yay, new Critterquest thread :neckbeard:

I'm an entomologist and decent at ballpark identifications for insects and other land inverebrates.

If you want a critter identified, you need to provide a location. Doesn't need to be detailed, just something like "I found this weird bug in Pleasant Hill, MO last July, anyone know what is is?"

bugguide.net is a great resource for all kinds of US/Canada insects.

Happy Critterquesting, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 29 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I dunno what this is. Some kind of larva, I think.

Some kind of Diptera, maybe a larva of a soldier fly.

Somethink like this:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/333680/bgimage

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Carpenter bees I presume? Should I be worried about these guys living on my grandparents' front porch? They seem chill enough.

Used to see them swarm around park benches and anything made of wood when I lived in Ohio.

The ones patrolling and buzzing around are males, and they don't have a stinger. Impress your friends by acting like a moron and catch one in your hand.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Finally spotted a spider that I have always wanted to see IRL. Not in my native Sweden but on vacation in Germany.
Wasp spider (Argiope bruennichi)

I wanted to send you a pm, but it looks like you don't want to support Lowtax's extravagant lifestyle.

Go join the facebook groups" Entomologiska föreningen i Stockholm" and "Insekter i Sverige". The Stockholm entomologists are having an excursion for everyone in a couple of weeks, and have seen Agriope bruennichi a couple of times where we're going.

You are very welcome to join!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

OK, I know this thread is for critters, and I apologize, and I hope you will forgive me when you see what I've got here. I was down at the pond by my place earlier feeding the stunted bluegill and hanging out with an old friend I hadn't seen in a year. Me, being on the spectrum, never really wandered far from my normal feeding spot since the fish require a consistent spot. My friend is an adventurous woman and while checking deep into the hard to access area abutting the pond she noticed a pink plant in the water. Finding it neat and knowing I keep aquariums with live plants, she pointed it out to me and used a stick to gather some. Now I have it in vases with some snails that will eat any dead plant or animal matter. Anyway, I cannot figure out what it is. I live in Valparaiso, Indiana, which is about an hour and 15mins from Chicago.

Looks like Myriophyllum. It can turn red sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriophyllum

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Jesus Christ posted:

Does anybody know wtf these things are? I found a ton of them along some huge deposit of dead coral on the shore line along with a bunch of other little snails.

Chitons, a kind of mollusc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiton

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Over There posted:

I found the most adorable little moth. I fell in love. :swoon:

Are you in the US? Then it looks like a Virginia tiger moth, Spilosoma virginica .

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Alpenglow posted:

Guessing this is a Brown Marmorated Stinkbug?

Cool striped leafhopper. What's the deal with its little droplet in back? Dropping trou?

Ayup. That's the dreaded Halyomorpha halys. It's established here in Europe too, but only a few specimens found yet here in Sweden.

The leafhopper is eating plant juices and needs to get rid of excess fluids. Poop.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Asiina posted:

Was waiting for the bus when this giant nightmare bug started flying around. I watched it as it landed and then proceeded to dig a hole. Upon further inspection there were many of them in this little hill by the bus stop, all doing some sort of hole maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9aoPE4frzI

What is this and what's the deal with the holes? Are all the holes connected underground? Do they all just dig themselves some holes close together? Does every bug get its own hole?

Sorry about loud traffic sounds, probably better with no sound.

It's a digger wasp, familiy Sphecidae. They feed their larvae other insects, but are in the strict sense not parasitic.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

the yeti posted:

Found some neat stuff out this past weekend!

:shrug: :confused: :shrug:
DSC_5483.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Looks like Lycidae larvae. Very similar to the European species Dictyoptera .

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Alpenglow posted:

Big beetle just hanging out on a nice obvious sign:

Alaus oculatus. Nice! :getin:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I don't know what this mite might be.
Canada 151 Bioblitz 0005 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

This is a velvet mite. The early stages are parasites on insects, and later stages are predators that live in soil and leaf litter.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The beetles in the log are Bess beetles. They appear to be red, since they are newly hatched. Later they turn a glossy black.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/2864/bgimage

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Beetles doesn't make silk cocoons like butterflies and moths, but they sometimes make a pupal chamber of chewed up wood.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

we have a hydrangea bush outside that has been swarming with all sorts of bees and flies and the like this summer, but the other day I saw a fly(?) that was cool looking and that I hadn’t seen before. It was a good size since I thought it was a bald faced hornet at first, but when I looked closer I noticed it was a blueish-black fly or bee.
The two most distinguishing characteristics where that its abdomen was wide and kind of flattened looking, and that it had dark wings that it held straight out to the side at rest unlike how they appear swept back on most bees and flies I encounter. it was probably about the size of a honey bee

Do a GIS for Mydas fly.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Found two wasp spiders (Argiope bruennichi and A. lobata I believe). I’m rarely afraid of spiders but these guys scare me more than tarantulas. A gut thing, I know they’re harmless.

Still in Portugal? Argiope bruennichi is common in certain places in Sweden now. I have seen it near Stockholm and on Öland.

If you see a female in her web, always look for the male too. He's tiny and usually hiding in a corner.

Image from here: http://www.mikethurnerimages.co.uk/_photo_11772222.html

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Had a great time in Utah last week and quested some good critters!

This bee had impressive antennae!

Some kind of fancy wasp.

The bee with the impressive antennae is probably the male of the species. Another hint is the large eyes. The reason male bees are called drones is that they contribute nothing to the community except sperm. They don't collect nectar or pollen or help tend the larvae.

Fancy wasp is an Ammophila digger wasp or close relative. They dig a burrow in sand, then stuff it full of stung and paralyzed caterpillars to feed the larvae.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

shits given: exactly one

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

^^^

That's a European hornet. It's the only true hornet (genus Vespa) found in North America. It was introduced accidentally in the 1800s by European immigrants.

It's actually a pretty docile species, they won't sting unless squashed. They are attracted to light and show up around porch lights and similar places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

This pretty lady was hunting for something under my hammock among the pine-needle-litter and lichens on the island we camped on in July. North-western Ontario, White Otter Lake.
Blueberry-Pike Island Wasp-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Blueberry-Pike Island Wasp-0002 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Ichneumonid parasite wasp. Looking for insect larvae to lay eggs in.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Your beetle looks to be a darkling beetle of some sort, I think. Not sure exactly where you were but I wager you can narrow it down by locale if you really want to, there's a lot of the bastards though.

Ayup, that's a tenebrionid. The can look pretty much like anything, but nearly all of them have a distinct chemical smell.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It's a nymph (immature) of a mirid bug, but not the one in Captain Invictus' post. Tiggum's bug has a red pronotum, and CI's is black.

Miridae is a very species rich family, and nymphs can be quite hard to identify.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Funny looking dragonfly. At first glance I thought his wings were messed up

Looks like an Eastern amberwing, Perithemis tenera. Very nice!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Zernach posted:

While on our way to our summer cottage, I spotted this fellow hitching a ride with us on the boat. Once we arrived, I picked it up on a stick and since it was perfectly fine just chilling there, I took pictures.

Looking at the colors I'd peg this as a Raft Spider (Dolomedes fimbriatus), but the white side stripes were really faint so I'm not completely sure. Can't think of anything else that's big enough in Finland. Also missing a leg.

Here is my thumb for scale. You can also see the faint side stripe on the abdomen.

A front shot with a clear view of the pedipalps with no clubs, making this a female.

Argyroneta aquatica, diving bell spider. The hairs trap an air bubble and they hunt and spend most of their time under the water surface. Common in lakes and pond in our part of Europe.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Squalid posted:

It looks like a water beetle from the family Dystiscidae, which probably explains why it crashed into you. I'm sure it's a much better swimmer than flier.

They’re excellent fliers and do fly long distances. Terrible judges of what’s actually water and tends to land on anyhting dark and shiny like cars and lawn trampolines.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

and weevil 2, this guy was legit big, not sure what the biggest weevil in the world is(probably some massive tropical/madagascar species) but this guy was pretty sizeable compared to every other weevil I've ever seen

Your weevil is a Curculio or very something close to that genus. Don't know the American specis, but check the descriptions and distributions and you could probably nail the species.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6682/bgpage

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Diving beetles are strong flyers, are attracted to lights and many species winter on land.

Go sweep that pond with a net and you might find some the diving beetle larvae, they're huge and voraciuos predators that sometimes even catch tadpoles and small fish.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

This is an owlfly, genus Ululodes. They are a kind of lacewing. Very cool find! :)

https://bugguide.net/node/view/4130/bgpage

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

thank you!!! it looks so much like a dragon fly, they have to be related.

Lacewings (Neuroptera) are about as far from dragonflies as you can get among insects. Dragonflies are one of the first groups to split off from the rest and lacewings are actually more closlely relateed to beetles.

One easy way to tell them apart is that all dragonflies have tiny tiny antennae. Pretty much just a bristle.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Excuse the doublepost, but today is a good day for question. Here's a striped leafhopper:

He was very cooperative and sat perfectly still, but it's hard to get a good shot of something that is about five millimeters long.

Check put the genus Graphocephala. If it was on a Rhododendron bush it was probably G. fennahi.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/364155

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Here’s a neat thick-headed fly, Sicus ferrugineus snacking on nectar on a field scabious that I saw today here in Sweden.

Their larvae are parasites on bumblebees.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Chows posted:

I think this is a fall webworm? I dunno but it's pretty and fuzzy :kimchi:

Tiger moth, Genus Spilosoma

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

El Burbo posted:

anyone know who this fella could be?

What's the location?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Last dragonfly of the year.

This is a meadowhawk, genus Sympetrum. They are on the wing until they freeze or get eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The huge horseflies rarely bite people, they are specialized in feeding on large animals like cattle and horses.