Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi thread.
Just idly wondered if critterquest was still a thing, and turns out it still is!
Here's a link to the original 2008 critterquest, for the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2891409
A huge amount of the images are lost to waffle, but there's still some left.

As for relevance, hey. Wife and I went to Point Reyes in August and drove up the coast a little. Did some macro photos along the cliffside trail at the southern end of Goat Rock state beach.

These are all basically the RAWs, unedited or cropped or anything, because I'm feeling too lazy to do a good job.

Flickr album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there's a mushroom thread? link please

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh it's in take a hike, no wonder I didn't easily find it lol

thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Didn't want to scare this fellow. Long boi crossed our path, while hiking Lime Ridge Open Space (bay area, california: disturbed chaparral).

As soon as I got closer to try and get better photos, the feller scarpered.

Pacific Gophersnake, if I'm not mistaken.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 29, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

next molt may restore spider to 8-leggedness, I think most spiders can regrow them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not a birder but: maybe a juvenile Sprague's Pipit? I'm just going from that feather pattern with the dark center and then the white edges.

Here's a juvenile

from https://identify.whatbird.com/obj/370/overview/spragues_pipit.aspx

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah sure, yeah that could fit too. American Pipit wasn't listed here:
https://www.whatbird.com/birdexpert/statecolorsize/5/6418/306/2070/45/birdexpert.aspx
so I didn't look at it.
although it would have helped if I put in Idaho instead of Ohio, lol!

found some guy's image of what he identified as a baby American Pipit that looks pretty close around the beak area:

http://northernillinoisbirder.blogspot.com/2012/11/american-pipit-mt-baker-wilderness-wa.html

Although this one has darker plumage, might be a second molt, or could be misidentified.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 9, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, would any of you be interested in contributing to a weekly frontpage feature of cool nature photos? We're still working out the details, but ideally it'd feature a little blurb about the picture and your experience taking it, links to personal websites and places to buy prints of your work, alongside a more in-depth interview with a regular contributor. (i'm not going to let this move forward unless y'all would maintain 100% rights to your work, if that's a concern to anyone.)

If the SA store featured more member-created murch, would any of you want to sell prints on the shop? What kind of percentage overhead do other POD print joints usually charge?

Creative Convention has a whole photography subforum and I would guess you'd find a lot more interest (and much better photos) there?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm going to take a very iffy guess and say it's full of about a million extremely tiny spiders.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what kinda sluggo is that tho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

got back to hiking up our favorite trail (Lime Ridge Open Space, Contra Costa County, California) after a long time of too hot/too much smoke. Not many people around so we saw critters!

If you look closely on the right you'll see my footprint where I literally stepped on this poor snek without seeing him (I was staring up at birds like an idiot). It wasn't hurt at all apparently, seemed fine to wriggle away after we were done taking pictures. I think the sand cushioned my footfall hopefully.

tiny spiky boi

pretty sure this is a juvenile horned lizard, aka horny toad
there's nothing visibly there for scale. I'd say he was no longer than my thumb, nose to tip of tail, so a very little duder.

tiny smooth boi

maybe a juvenile alligator lizard? or fence post lizard? this guy was also very tiny, like maybe an inch and a half long?

Habitat for all of these is hot dry chaparral, mixed open grassland/savannah with oaks and the occasional walnut, manzanita, buckeye, fireweeds etc., steep and hilly rocky terrain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

This beautiful velvet ant could have ruined my day if she was in the sod I was handling. I once found one in my parent's napkin drawer which was weird, and definitely suggests some ambush potential.

That velvet ant sure isn't very velvetty. The ones we have around here have floofy yellow or red butts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spiders have proportional strength and agility of a spider

spider-spider, spider-spider, does whatever a spider can, spins a web, any time, watch out: here comes spider-spider

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're noisy bastards. I like them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This might be worth checking
https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/dead-birds/index.html

Obviously there's lots of diseases that can kill a bird but west nile is one and avian flu is another, and some states would like you to report dead birds if they're trying to collect or screen for where the viruses are active.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shamelessly crossposting

Leperflesh posted:

There's shitloads of geese at this park year-round, so there's sections of path that are covered in goose poo poo of course. They're still kinda cool birds, these ones aren't aggressive so you can like walk past them without being assaulted.

Lots of turtles out today

We see cormorants here often, today a couple were sunning.

Birb

Blue dragonflies

There's a shady spot where there's tons of these guys. Yesterday we thought they were tadpoles but today we got a better look and they're fry.

There's a second lake close by, we check it out on the way home. Today there was a mama duck with six ducklings going diving

While we were standing there this lady comes over with a cardboard box and adds two goslings to the water. We're like, huh? but she's waving at geese across the lake and two of them come jetting over. Turns out she was getting out of her car on the other side of the lake and her dog chased away the parents, so she scooped them up and brought them over here. Parents arrived in less than a minute to corral up their babies. Pretty nice of this lady to be concerned, she was obviously upset that maybe she'd hosed things up but we all kinda cheered as they came over (there were a couple people fishing who saw too).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Could be a Forest Sharp-tailed snake? Contia longicauda? Hard to ID without seeing its belly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SF bay area. Seems like a pretty okay moth, albeit not an OK moth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahah, you're right! I think maybe a female Atalopedes campestris