Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah at that size I'm not sure what else it could be besides Dynastes tityus or D. granti, our two Hercules beetle species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I was all set to suggest your unknown larva was a dragonfly nymph but I can't actually make out any legs so now I'm not sure if I'm going blind or maybe it's a flatworm or something?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Goons, help me identify these salamanders.

#1, found under a stone on a steep hillside where a watercourse crossed a path in western Pennsylvania. I'm having trouble because my photos aren't great, but I got 11 costal grooves + long toes + flecking = Ambystoma jeffersonianum. He could easily be a dark Desmognathus fuscus or closely related if my photos aren't showing all the costal grooves clearly.

#2, found under a large stone a wet hillside path, 19 costal grooves makes me think Plethodon cinereus dark morph (also that there were loads of regular form P. cinereus in the area) but I can't quite make out his toe situation from the photos I have in order to rule out Hemidactylium scutatum.

More photos of both: http://imgur.com/a/1ngwU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

OneTwentySix posted:

Salamanders are my thing

Thanks for the help! I haven't looked at salamanders with a serious eye for ID basically ever :shobon:

Having looked at a bunch of photos I do sort of see how my dusky does have kind of the desmognathus 'look' compared to ambys.

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ I can make out "ONE PINT" in your first photo - are you collecting amphibs in a beer glass?
EDIT - I mean The Yeti's post.

It's a gelato container

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Thanks for the help! I haven't looked at salamanders with a serious eye for ID basically ever :shobon:

Having looked at a bunch of photos I do sort of see how my dusky does have kind of the desmognathus 'look' compared to ambys.

It's a gelato container

May as well post some other stuff I found!

First, more Plethodons:

P. glutinosus, flipped maybe seven or eight smallish ones in a relatively small area

P. cinereus I'm fairly sure, this was maybe the largest one I saw, most were little noodles and only had a red patch over the lower back

A tiny Scolopendromorph, probably Scolopocryptops sp.

A Pleasing Fungus Beetle, Megalodacne sp, probably M. heros

A mad noodle:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Same site as last time, just a more upland portion. Weather was about 10 degrees warmer, which is apparently the difference between I scoop stuff up easy as pie and I lose a number of critters into the leaf litter. Some extras in here: http://imgur.com/a/hYRVn but here are the highlights:

Saw a lot of flat backed millis in this part of the park :3

A red velvet mite in Trombidiidae! :neckbeard: I'd never found one before, so that was cool

Couple of really nice red backed salamanders:

Desmognathus something or other, based on the white line at the eye and I think 14 costal ridges

Also I think Desmog sp. (other photos in the imgur album up top if anyone wants to play ID detective)

Dead ringer for Desmog. fuscus

Unexpected mammal:

After all this loving around with photos in that container I think I'm gonna cover it over with black duct tape, it's killing me not being able to get decently exposed details on these little guys.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those look like ant alates, the winged breeding form.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Alpenglow posted:

Just moved across the country, and the switch from West/Best/Left Coast to eastern US critters is quite exciting. These critters were all on the grounds of the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, which is pretty rad. Roll call for the other goon(s?) in Pittsburgh I remember Critterquest posting?

my cat is norris posted:

Hello! Welcome to Pittsburgh! I live in Perry North right outside Riverview Park.

Most of my posting lately are critters either from up in Sewickley or the riverfront trail.

Like this chubster Eurycea longicauda :3

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

JnnyThndrs posted:

Lantana is a great plant if you wanna attract all sorts of insects/bees/hummingbirds.

Yeah, my mom gets loads of clearwings on hers.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

In fairness I doubt culling individuals you incidentally encounter is gonna have a real impact on an invasive species so I wouldn't stress about it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:black101: love these little chompers

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A rove beetle! I think a devil's coach horse, but if not then another closely related species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_coach_horse_beetle

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was thinking devil's coach horse, too, even though I constantly misremember the name as "devil's coachman." We have 'em around here, even though I only saw one for the first time a few years ago.

Based on bugguide's range data it's probably : http://bugguide.net/node/view/46155

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Them's some primo box turtles :3:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Thread, I need Western PA bumblebee help! Pretty bad at bees, can y'all help me understand if I'm looking at two or three different species, or different castes of the same species? I see these intermingled on these white flowers near work more or less any time I go out; the smaller ones like in the first photo are more numerous, have a warmer coloring, yellow and black-brown, while the big beefy one in the second photo is much paler yellow and black-black. The teeny tiny one in the second photo I assume is a stunted individual as it's colored just like the big one but smaller than any of other bumbles around.

If particular perspectives would help I could pretty easily go back out there and shoot more photos.

Added bonus, solitary bee? Maybe Megachile sp.?

Edit: have some other pollinators! I haven't had time to work on ID for these yet, but the green shiny bee might be Agapostemon sp. and the wasp in the 3rd photo might be Polistes dominula.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 14, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

You got every caste of Bombus impatiens!

:neckbeard: I had no idea they varied in size THAT much!

So given that the drones were really plentiful I guess I just happened to start observing this section of flowers around the time they're flying?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

Drones are produced throughout most of the season, but this time of year production is kicked up a notch because it's nearly winter and it's time for new queens to mate and start hibernating. This production pattern is called phenology and it varies between species and regions.

(source: US Forest Service)

B. impatiens is an eastern species and so isn't included in that document. The eastern guide's phenology charts aren't as informative:

Both of those documents are free and extremely useful if you want to identify bumble bees in your region. Go nuts! The authors wrote a book that's far more comprehensive though if you want an actual book. It includes tons of bonus information about general bumble bee biology to boot: https://www.amazon.ca/Bumble-Bees-North-America-Identification/dp/0691152225

Ohhh this is the best bumble bee PDF I've come across this afternoon, I think. I only have 2 species observed so far, B. impatiens and B. griseocolis.

As an aside the plant I'm observing them on may well be Eupatorium sp, as noted on the B. impatiens sheet there.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

Now I'm curious. How many more did you run into that day? :crossarms:

Ah, I misspoke a little, I should have said guide rather than PDF, I find these harder to parse and navigate than the guide you posted by a long shot http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmerica.htm
http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmericaCuckoo.htm

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah those two are pretty unmistakable. You're luckily on the fringe of B. rufocinctus' recorded range (or at least as reported in that document) and may not encounter them a lot. Those fuckers are a dime a dozen out west.

Nice looking but I'd chalk those right up next to Carabidae as far as :effort: to ID

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz or anyone have any ideas about this one? My friend thinks it may be a leafcutter or mason, I am totally stumped. Found in the vicinity of the bees I posted upthread but on a different day.

DSC_5008.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 19, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mak0rz posted:

You're looking in the wrong direction. Fat head and big jaws makes it look like a megachilid, but its scopae are on the legs. Masons and leafcutters collect pollen only on their bellies!

I think it's a sweat bee, Halictus ligatus. I may or may not have found that via the super scientific Google search term "bee with large head."

I searched for "bee with flat head" haha. Coming up with the right magic words is especially hard when it's bug ID stuff.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Here's another bee, maybe Augochlorini?

Halictidae by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Ed:

InEscape posted:

eta: gratuitous shot of my study species Lepidurus packardi

:neckbeard:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 20, 2017

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Looks like a western diamondback maybe; whereabouts are you located roughly?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Captain Invictus posted:

Get rid of it.

See if you have a local removal guy or rehabber who can wrangle it for you, don't dick around with venomous snakes yourself.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply you were suggesting that :shobon: there's just that old chestnut about most venomous bites in the US coming from people trying to mess with the snake

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Found about a jillion small red backs last weekend :3:

:bsdsnype:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DSC_5372.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Those are some really pretty colors!

They vary a bit, I've found some cherry red ones too but they're extremely common up here apparently.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

alnilam posted:

Cool beetle in my PA backyard, chillin on some weedy grass. It's about as long as my pinky is wide, and very bulbous, almost semispherical.

I looked thru pics of "common PA beetles" and didn't see any good matches. What is??

False potato beetle I think: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_potato_beetle
Learn to refresh :sun:

As an aside I like how all the PA goons started posting at once.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

'TIS THE SEASON!

I want to get out to Raccoon Creek and look for herps now that the weather is nicer. Do you think anything is moving, this time of year?

Got buzzed by a few curious carpenter bees today. Really made me happy to see them out and about.

Salamanders for sure. I found an armload of redbacks in Sewickley a few weekends ago and this time last year I found a handful of slimies too. I've only been to Raccoon Creek once but I imagine you'd have decent luck especially if any seasonal pools are accessible.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I was pruning a Japanese maple when I came across two of these odd-looking things. Cocoons maybe? They look like that expanding foam insulation up close.

Praying mantis eggs :3: hard to say if they've hatched already with the weird spring weather lots of places have had but put them in a sheltered spot in a bush or something just in case.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Fantastic! I'll make my plans for the weekend, then. It'll be raining all week, but Friday and Saturday should be tolerable.

Edit: Any suggestions for looking around Sewickley? I mean, I love Raccoon Creek and am happy to go out there to explore the creeks and streams, but Sewickley IS closer to home...

Sewickley heights borough park is my usual place but I think there are some other public areas up there , if you wanna shoot me a pm I'll point out my spots

Alpenglow posted:

No photos because um, "gently caress (getting that close to) that noise," but to pile on the PA goon experiences, drat Spring Peepers are loud. The marshy spot in Frick Park has been a legitimate hearing damage hazard for the last few weeks.

I need to head back over there; Frick Park has a remarkable amount of wildlife for being right in the middle of things

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lifer Diadophis punctatus edwardsii :neckbeard:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

free hubcaps posted:

I went for a hike along a coastal forest ridge yesterday and it was apparently black snake basking day

You're correct; first one is a black ratsnake and the second is a large and rather beat up black racer.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Found some neat stuff out this past weekend!

Millipede trio:
DSC_5455.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr
DSC_5449.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr
DSC_5445.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

One of the aptly named Flat Bugs, Aradidae
DSC_5509.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

:shrug: Carabidae :shrug:
DSC_5487.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

:shrug: :confused: :shrug:
DSC_5483.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Eurycea bislineata
DSC_5530.jpg by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Edit:
Fungi I found over in the mushroom megathread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=setseen&threadid=3850811&index=8

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Just off the cuff looks like some species of ladybug larva, definitely beneficial.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Literally A Person posted:

What is this beetle dude? I think I saw him eating another bug so I'm wondering if he is beneficial to my garden:

Soldier beetle I think, family Cantharidae.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm not positive but that beetle sorta looks like a lightning bug.

Soldier beetles and fireflies are in the same superfamily! :science:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Some critters:

This idiot ran out in the road and got stunned passing under my car

Never get tired of slimy salamanders :3

The squared off head and external gills made me think this might be a mudpuppy but someone on iNat thinks it's an immature Plethodontid :shrug:

Dolomedes sp; the owner ran off into its lair and I didn't feel like being all that invasive

Woodchuck, had a nice little den under that embankment

Nerodia sp.

Mushrooms from the same outing over in the mushroom thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850811&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post484467215

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 27, 2018

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those are some sick macros, what are you shooting with?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DavidAlltheTime posted:

These guys are fairly common here on Vancouver island. I'm not sure what it is (the potatophone picture doesn't help), but lookit those chompers!

Do you have an overhead photo? Looks a bit like Calosoma sp. and relatives; they put a hurtin on caterpillars with those jaws

my cat is norris posted:

YETI I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE A CAT I NEED TO PET. And critters.

Lmao

the yeti fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My pal ID'd it as Omus dejeani - I like that it's a relatively ancient species!

'Night stalking tiger beetle' :black101: