Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

What kind of bird does that head belong to?

Maybe Pied-billed grebe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Phainopepla -6212 on Flickr

Found a cool birb on a hike yesterday. Phainopepla! Slightly out of range here, although it could be a fire evacuee.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

And ringneck snakes! (Two of them in fact).

Earth snake? (Haldea)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Walrusmaster posted:

Can someone help identify this bird? Southern California/inland empire, likes the peanut butter suet cake. Maybe a nuthatch? Sorry for the grainy photos.

Bewick’s wren!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
California Newt
Wildcat Cal Newt no logo-0218 on Flickr

California Slender Salamander
Wildcat Slender Salamander no logo-1698 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

Heard someone cheeping up a storm so I turned on my feeder camera, and this little guy is just sitting there chirping his head off. Any idea why he's so worked up? It's in the 20's out here and he's usually super shy, never staying in one spot, and always seeming spooked by other birds around. The feeders WERE free of other birds when he was being noisy, though.

Carolina wren, as far as I know. (Central Kentucky)

Wrens being wrens. Maybe spring hormones are starting to kick in or maybe it thought it saw something like a cat or something that you didn’t see.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Red Queen posted:

Another feeder bird - what kind of finch, do you think? Purple or House? I'm leaning toward purple (I live in central KY) because house finches don't seem to be as vibrant or have as much coverage of the red as this one.

The heavy streaking on the flanks make it House. They can be really variable in color and brightness.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure about Arkansas but many populations are at least partially migratory so they may be a lot easier to find for you in the fall and winter compared to spring/summer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I studied these guys in grad school and about 90% of people would tell me “what, they can fly?” and then I had this weird comment from several people that turkeys “were the only bird that can fly straight up in the air” which a) I never got a good explanation what they meant by that, and b) can’t possibly be true regardless.

The big fat males have a harder time but they can get up too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

my cat is norris posted:

I wonder if they've been pushed out by cowbird babies or something similar.

Not impossible, but brown-headed cowbirds usually don't do this. Assuming the cowbird mom timed things right and got the eggs in so that they'd hatch first, cowbird babies can benefit from having the host chicks there since more chicks = more begging to inspire more feeding from the host chicks (and the cowbird chicks gets most of the feeding).

It's mostly the old-world cuckoos that do the heave-ho.

Sometimes it's just a poorly constructed nest or else a parent that got spooked and while escaping the nest accidentally pushes some babies out. Or occasionally some other species will take over a nest.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m getting a rat snake vibe but I only have western field guides right now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Literally A Person posted:

Speaking of the southern Oregon coast is there a reason this rat:

Would be acting really strange in my backyard. Like it's paralyzed or something. My cats won't get near it and it won't run away. It let me just walk up and take that picture. A rat. Like the bad kind.

You probably have a neighbor using rat poison. Rats get sluggish and then some unsuspecting fox or hawk or owl (or someone’s dog) eats it and gets hosed.

E: check out https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

Sad doots, cool newts

I like this

There's another photo link you might add to the new thread:
Dorkroom Wildlife Photography Thread

There's also another birding thread in Pet Island but it probably makes sense just to include the one you have.