Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Possibly leucism, the other less well known type of condition involving loss of pigment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism

Or it might be something else, I'm not a duck expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Domesticated ducks are bred to hell and back and end up looking all sorts of ways. Same with Pigeons.

Edit: White bird isn't a Mallard. Not even sure what species that barnyard duck falls under. The back bird has a fairly common plumage pattern for domestic Mallards.

You made me curious so I decided to do a bit of research into domestic ducks.

Turns out the majority of worldwide barnyard duck breeds are in fact descended from Mallards. None of them have black bills like that though. It seems most likely that that particular duck is the result of a domestic duck mating with some wild duck with a black bill resulting in that one.

E: Wow mallards (and as a result domestic ducks) are able to interbreed with all kinds of duck species which is apparently a big conservation issue because they're so common and are threatening genetic diversity in many other duck populations.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 26, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haha that last panel was me when I visited Australia last year.

It didn't last long though because they are just that terrible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Sad Doot should really be this thread's mascot.

I'm pretty sure it is

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We can have two !

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Randaconda posted:

anything that brightly colored makes me think it is venomous

Good instincts.

Pretty sure that one is in a defensive stance which means it feels cornered and is ready to bite. Scary

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

So is that the head or the butt wiggling around at you?

It's the head - they're mimicking snakes to scare off predators

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They spend most of their time in trees! That's where all the bark and leaves they eat are.

Though what I didn't know is that they apparently fall out of trees fairly often because they get tempted by young growths on weak branches that can't support them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

this grasshopper was aiming to get mushed by a random vehicle at work so I picked him up and went to put him outside, but he was extremely interested in eating my thumb. shortly after I turned the video off he actually drew blood so I put an end to that. Apologies for the vertical video and noise, it's a loud place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dedg5okxXKY&hd=1

You fool! You've given it a taste for human flesh. Now none of us are safe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Is anyone here able to identify these (and yes, I understand that fungi are a fairly liberal interpretation of "critter)? We have a potted plant that has suddenly sprung forth with several groups of these:

Location is Wollongong, NSW. These ones were about 50mm tall, if that helps!

Probably this guy or a relative https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucocoprinus_birnbaumii

I'm no mushroom expert but I had these show up in a potted plant once too and that's supposed to be a not uncommon experience worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Saw a luna moth crawling around with tiny, tiny little wings. I assume that's some sort of defect in metamorphosis rather than them waiting to unfurl? I took pics but probably won't post since it's a little tragic.

i wanna see the sad moth