Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

It's time.

Post the critters you've found here. Get help with critter I.D. and chat about critters. Same rules as before: wild, living critters only (if you have photos of captive animals that you want to post, the bird and wildlife threads in The Dorkroom allow those). If you have I.D. questions about a dead critter, please post images as links.

Happy crittering!

Links to past Critterquest threads:
2014/2015

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I recently got back from a trip to the bottom of the world and still have a ton of photos to work through, but here are some Gentoo Penguins and friends from the Antarctic Peninsula. They usually nest on rocky hills that have been smoothed over by glaciers, and build their nests from the pebbles deposited on the back side of the hill by the glacial flow.

Nearly everything on the Antarctic Peninsula feeds on krill. The penguins there have barbed tongues to help capture the small crustaceans, which they later regurgitate for their chicks.

Theft of nesting materials is common, so fights break out between close neighbors fairly often.

Nonetheless, the whole colony joins together to fight off South Polar Skuas, which swoop in to try and knock chicks and eggs loose from the nests.

They wear deep trenches into the snow during their frequent feeding trips to the ocean.

They're fairly clumsy on land, but they're very quick swimmers and can cover large distances by 'porpoising' across the water's surface.

The chicks have to mature before the relatively mild Antarctic summer passes, so they grow pretty quickly.

Snowy Sheathbills, which eat penguin poop, can be found at most of the Gentoo Penguin rookeries.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 25, 2017

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

Here's the link to the 2016 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759659

Could people post links to the older threads so that Moon Potato could add them to the op.
Done.

Glad you all enjoy the penguins. Here are some Blue-eyed Shags while I work through the rest of my Antarctica/Chile photos.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

naem posted:

Moon potato I still plan to use your photos as reference to do some drawings if that is o.k.
Yeah, go for it.

They're as cute as they are invasive :3:

Time for Chinstrap Penguins.

The ones at the first rookery we went to had tiny babbies.

They wore a huge maze of penguin highways into one hillside.

HI I'M HOME

Like the Gentoo Penguins, these guys build nests from pebbles too.

This one totally ate poo poo while jumping down from the rookery.

Once they're in the snow, the trip downhill goes pretty smoothly.

A Snowy Sheathbill interrupted a feeding to try to get some krill vomit for itself, but just ended up being snapped and honked at.