Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why is takumi in endless devotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tired Moritz posted:

why is takumi in endless devotion

He's devoted to being a dick

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
takumi did nothing wrong.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, my phone is ancient, a goddamn LG Marquee from 2011...but I don't really need a newer phone for anything except Heroes, and I'd almost certainly end up paying more monthly as well if I replaced it.

should I be a whale before the game even comes out is what I'm saying

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's phone emulators if you really want to play for computers

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That Arthur art is amazing.

On a serious note, I'm not a particular fan of being able to buy dueling swords with orbs. Maybe I've just been acquainted with the wrong gatcha games, but in my experience ranking is either purely superfluous and doesn't really matter for anything other than status, or ranking gives stuff but you have a fixed number of matches per day that can't be changed (at least for the MP part). Dueling swords being purchasable combined with ranking giving actual rewards is going to result in the upper ranks filled with nothing but whales.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Dueling swords being purchasable combined with ranking giving actual rewards is going to result in the upper ranks filled with nothing but whales.

As opposed to...what, cheaters and bots instead? The top of the upper ranks have always been nothing but poo poo.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

Dueling swords being purchasable combined with ranking giving actual rewards is going to result in the upper ranks filled with nothing but whales.

This was going to happen regardless of any refreshes.

I'm not a huge fan of pvp in mobile games but the rest of it looks fantastic. I've been playing FFRK since it released globally and DeNa has done a good job capturing the 8/16-bit era's battle feel while not really crushing you with transaction shenanigans as long as you're patient. Being able to increase the star value for all the characters simply through levelling is a good feature and I hope they don't go the Brave Exvius route of only releasing 5* characters.

I'm eagerly anticipating FE:H since I don't really have time for much other gaming these days and hopefully there's little incentive to re-roll off the bat since re-rolling is loving horrible.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I got in on this far too late but I voted for my boy Inigo and Severa because I enjoy their support chain.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/826476311589769218

Not surprising, but still.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sigurd is an honorary Tellius character in my heart. Spanish names are still really confusing to me and I will greatly dislike having to tolerate them in-game if the language can't be changed.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sigurd is an honorary Tellius character in my heart. Spanish names are still really confusing to me and I will greatly dislike having to tolerate them in-game if the language can't be changed.

You can change the language.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Tibarn killed my voting gimmick, thanks bird.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 31, 2017

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Reply is not edit, uuugghhhh.

Edit: actually, let's turn this into a real post. I'm conflicted on if I should play this on my tablet (android) or my phone (iphone). Tablet means bigger screen which is really useful for touch based combat and for generally having a better view (which I could see helping a lot) but putting it on my phone means I can pick it up and burn stamina when I'm out.

So how are you going to play? Tablet or phone?

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope everyone remembered to vote for the true misunderstood hero of Fates

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Adel posted:

Edit: actually, let's turn this into a real post. I'm conflicted on if I should play this on my tablet (android) or my phone (iphone). Tablet means bigger screen which is really useful for touch based combat and for generally having a better view (which I could see helping a lot) but putting it on my phone means I can pick it up and burn stamina when I'm out.

Unless this game is implemented in the worst possible way, it's going to be account based and you can just play on your tablet at home and on your phone when out

Also, this game needs to hurry up and come out so I have something to do on my phone other than read about the slow motion collapse of the American republic

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Seeing the midway-ish poll results inspired me to try and give my boy Joshua a boost.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Looks like the gacha rates are 3% for 5-star, 36% for 4-star, and 61% for 3-star Heroes, with the probability for 5-star Heroes increasing each time you don't get one during a draw.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dunban posted:

Looks like the gacha rates are 3% for 5-star, 36% for 4-star, and 61% for 3-star Heroes, with the probability for 5-star Heroes increasing each time you don't get one during a draw.

Do we know whether the characters are evenly distributed and star rating is the chase, or whether characters are also whalebait?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

characters have different star ratings, so presumably even 5 star characters have a 4 star variant.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

cheetah7071 posted:

Do we know whether the characters are evenly distributed and star rating is the chase, or whether characters are also whalebait?

As far as we know, characters don't have one specific star rating - in the Direct, they showed a 3-star, 4-star and a 5-star Robin. Also, you can increase the star rating of your characters via materials and training, so getting a 5-star character from a gacha draw doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also the difference between a 3-star and a 4-star (and a 4-star and a 5-star) is 2 points in every stat, plus stronger weapons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

characters have different star ratings, so presumably even 5 star characters have a 4 star variant.

Well I more meant, is Marth going to be equally likely as Marty because the "rare" thing is star ratings, rather than popular characters. I assume not, and whales can chase after both characters and stars in orthogonal axes.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Typically gatcha will also include 'base' 4 and 5 star units that can only be summoned at that level, and will be stronger than equivalent units that are 'leveled up' to 5 star.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm interested how much they start you with, because I'm assuming your starting party is already filled with 3 via the 2 heroes, anna, and probably your intro gacha hero.

I remember Brave Exvious being a similar thing with a story and 3 main characters and they were like above-average overall.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

Also the difference between a 3-star and a 4-star (and a 4-star and a 5-star) is 2 points in every stat, plus stronger weapons.
The weapon difference will likely be a bigger deal. Some of the characters in the previews were rocking Brave weapons, for one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah I guess the main edge for 5 star units will be things like Brave and Killer weapons rather then raw stats.

Edit: Yeah this is going to be it. According to a translated twitter Q&A (https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_JP):

"You can boost the rarity of a hero by training them to Level 20+ and consuming items. Each time their rarity increases, their level and stats reset to the Level 1 stats for the new rarity."

Note they say nothing about weapons or skills. So yeah, a formally 1 Star Lucina will probably have the same stats as a native 5 star Lucina, but while 5 star is rocking the Parallel Falchion, the 1 star is still using an Iron Sword.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 31, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weapons are skills your characters can learn. the pool of skills is based on character, not star rating.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The only game that did pvp right that I've played (well, at least before they changed it) was marvel puzzle quest. The events would put you in a small bracket with players close to your level so you had a reasonable chance to get the top prizes without devoting your life to the game and the whales were competing by themselves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

weapons are skills your characters can learn. the pool of skills is based on character, not star rating.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's possible from what we know that the pool of available weapons and skills increases with star rank, and natural 5-stars might start with better weapons and skills. SP might also reset when a character promotes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If a character can increase their stars and their skills but characters drawn with more stars have things that others can't ever acquire, it seems like it would be pointless to bother with improving the less rare ones. So I hope that's not the case.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah even I was assuming that the skill pool for a natural 5-star and a homegrown 5-star would be the same, but if you can't work on the skills properly until they hit 5 stars that would be super annoying.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In true Fire Emblem spirit, raising a 1-star to a 5-star should make it better when maxed out compared to a natural 5-star, but the resources necessary to do so makes it a kinda bad idea

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dena seems okay at making low-rarity units usable in my experience. the crappy bronzies in fate/grand order all have gimmicks that make them workable as a unit. heck there's an entire youtube channel devoted to beating fate/grand order without 4 or 5 stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSa182-4Ug

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 1, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
DeNA also runs FFRK, which is actually very generous as F2P models go, and from what I've seen in videos this looks even more generous than that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I played a lot of gacha rpgs and I can't remember a time that you needed a 5 star to beat the normal content. Mobius final fantasy was abusrdly easy with default stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My guess is that lunatic is tuned to be easy for whales and difficult but possible for non-whales

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...F/GO locked out phone emulators over a year ago when they implemented some code change or another. I'd actually forgotten DeNA was associated with F/GO, but given policies there, what are the chances Heroes will end up locked to emulators as well?

I suppose we might find out in two days.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

...F/GO locked out phone emulators over a year ago when they implemented some code change or another. I'd actually forgotten DeNA was associated with F/GO, but given policies there, what are the chances Heroes will end up locked to emulators as well?

I'd say fifty-fifty: being locked out of emulators is (part of) the reason I didn't end up playing F/GO but the whole reason I tried to play it was because I downloaded JP Record Keeper, and I can play that fine on my emulator. Actually, amusingly enough, JP Record Keeper hasn't worked on my phone at all since I upgrade to a Pixel, so I only play that on emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Lord Koth posted:

DeNA is loving gigantic in Japan and runs a ton of phone games, and none of them I've heard of doing that other than F/GO.