Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wassbix posted:

Is the map really 6x8 :whitewater:

yes. every map is 6x8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

micaiah is one of the best lords in the series and its a shame that she has her game stolen from her by the cowardly ike

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

perhaps the same could be said of all fire emblem lords

edit: except sigurd, who succeeded in getting himself killed in spite of his more competent sidekicks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

99% of the time, the character with a friendly animal companion, an unusual and strikingly beautiful physical trait, a curse that really makes her better than everyone else, and a secret royal heritage is just going to be complete garbage
Iunno, I liked Ike too. seems like fire emblem is good at handling those sorts of characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though you've just described like 95% of characters in both mythology and fantasy fiction, minus the female pronoun, so hm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

it's very racist to call Ranulf that
can i call mordecai that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Sigurd had competent sidekicks? I guess Oifey kind of counts, but that's really more Seliph's IMO.
i mean ayra was competent at killing people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a bunch of people are really mad that a series they love got popular, for some reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah and corrin is pretty moronic but it's not like she's any dumber than any of the other characters in fates

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Really, the thing I hate most about Corrin is the lack of any kind of interesting/any kind of any personality in supports to make up for the stupidity in the main game. Look at Smash. Her win quotes include "Good!" for pete's sake.
i mean that's a dubism, the jp quote is 'And that's game," which at least comes across a little smug.

but yeah corrin is pretty bland

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

i voted for charlotte, because she is very strong
you should have voted for fe6 karel then, he has the highest str growth in the series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I can't decide whether to vote for Devdan or Danved.

Edit: I chose Devdan. Danved can eat poo poo
but danved is pretty amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ajkalan posted:

You can't vote for the Awakening paralogue boss with a sick skull staff who believes he'll become the next king if he steals the Fire Emblem, so the whole contest is compromised. I guess I'll pick, I don't know, Henry.

that exact guy will be playable in that gba awakening hack im definitely still making

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you can do record keeper you'll probably be fine, it's using really simple sprites and doesn't seem to have any 3d in it at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Wait, Wendy is called Gwendoyln?

yeah they changed a lot of FE6 character names. Astohl is Astolfo, for instance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Which is amazing and correct and far better.

Are you going to backport the new names into your hack? oh also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVETwIoyfQ

gamexplain got to play a preview of the game. Nothing that interesting, just the guy saying he liked it, but it confirms Jagen and Raigh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also other thing I saw in a different video from a guy that got to play the game as well: Basically, when you roll, you spend 5 funpoints get shown 5 orbs of varying colors. The colors represent weapon type. So, like

Red
Red
Blue
Grey
Red

You pick the grey one, you get noted fire emblem character Wrys. You can either leave it at that or you can spend *4* funpoints to select one of the other orbs. So if you wanna grab the blue one, you can do it for cheaper. You can keep doing that until you've grabbed all of them, and the last one you grab from the lot is only 3 funpoints.

So basically, grabbing all of them at once is cheaper than backing out and doing another four rolls. That makes it easier to build up a roster, but harder to hunt for a specific character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

characters have different star ratings, so presumably even 5 star characters have a 4 star variant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weapons are skills your characters can learn. the pool of skills is based on character, not star rating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dena seems okay at making low-rarity units usable in my experience. the crappy bronzies in fate/grand order all have gimmicks that make them workable as a unit. heck there's an entire youtube channel devoted to beating fate/grand order without 4 or 5 stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSa182-4Ug

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 1, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

are the votes out yet. how can the voting end so close to the launch how will they have time to design a special cynthia
'hey, kozaki, draw cynthia'

'okay'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Will level ups be random?

seems like it from the footage ive seen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

some way to reset a unit back to level 1 to try to get better level-ups

its this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super no vacancy is loving with you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EGSunBro posted:

I've gotten to the third download in the tutorial and am getting constant error messages but if i keep dismissing them it slowly downloads between pop ups. It's ok tho there's a sweet pic of lyn in the background

E: Also everyone has their VA listed except Lucina who just has -- in the VA slot for some reason.
laura bailey is a big time enough actor that there's probably some sort of contract thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyte posted:

Yeah that's how it usually works. I'm a bit confused at the selection in the 2nd set, were they like the most popular non-main characters or something?
who's the 2nd set?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

acumen posted:

oh and I got a 4* Camilla who I initially dismissed as a boob anime thing but apparently she's on a dragon and has an axe? That's cool.

I really need to play the 3DS Fire Emblems sometime apparently.
have you ever played a fire emblem? every game in the series has dragon riders

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EGSunBro posted:

Also can confirm that 3 and 4 star units are still really good, I cleared the first lunatic chapters no probs. 3* Est is getting insane levels for me and is incredibly good now.
i have to imagine characters have individual growth rates? so est getting good levels makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

oh is this one of those trash games where you delete the app and re roll hundreds of times to get a decent playing experience? Thats pretty much the main red flag for "the game will be unplayable garbage"
no

people are rerolling for no real reason, from what ive seen 3 stars are fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i got 4-star cordelia with a brave lance, gg difficulty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are growths up anywhere yet?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haroshia posted:

There's a couple ways it's handled. The first and worst way (but sadly most common) is straight up power creep. It encourages buying and pulling to get the new hotness, and follows a terrible death spiral where the content that gives currency requires the strongest units that you need currency to get. The second way is they offer "Rebirths" of older units where you can clear events to power them up and make them close to the most powerful units. This is more grindy, but gives the option between grinding a bit or spending money to get the newest powerful units to clear current content. There's still power creep, but it usually isn't as drastic. The third way is the method they use in the second, but they also provide a method for certain units to have synergy with each other that makes building a SPECIFIC team more important. This encourages pulling a lot, but doesn't make you hate pulling less powerful units because they might synergize well with your existing units to make your team more powerful.

I can't see any existing systems to do the second and third methods in this game, so having them go with the first method seems most likely. There may be some hidden depth here I'm not seeing, or they may add new systems as the game goes on.
i've seen dena just straight up buff units in their games. like mozart in fate/grand order got most of his skills improved despite being a random one star bronze dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont even really like this game that much what the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tithin posted:

$20 for a pull of the gacha are you loving kidding me
35 orbs is nearly two pulls worth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zotix posted:

Ummm. A pull of the gacha is 5 orbs. The rates for one pull in this game are cheaper than the industry standard, ever so slightly.
you can get the other characters in a pull for 4, then 3 for the last one, thereby saving you 5 orbs per five pull

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I feel like they have half that formula, but honestly they've released all the major popular characters from Awakening and Fates. They only things they're missing are a few Awakening children and like the two kids from Fates who aren't massive failures. (Soleil and Ophelia)
of the top 40 from the popularity poll, they're missing

FE9 Ike
FE10 Ike
Ephraim
FE1 Marth
Joshua
Dorcas
Owain
Eirika
Micaiah
Awakening Anna
Lute
Mia
Nephenee

So there's a solid list of characters they can do special events for. (Please let them do a Dorcas event)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Nobody played Fire Emblem before Awakening.

finn is objectively the 9th most popular fire emblem character in japan (tbf it's a magazine about RPGs in japan with a demo that trends older but still)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope seliph's art makes him look as androgynous as a lot of fe4 fanart makes him look

it's a cool direction to take his design to contrast with how manly sigurd is, and also it's cute

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McDragon posted:

Liking this so far. I appreciate that you get an Anna no matter what even if she isn't very good.

I'm only going very slowly but I did a five summon. All fours which is okay and they basically brutalise everything I've run into so far. Are Dancers as useful in this as the main games? I got Olivia and she seems pretty helpful.

Oh, and how many orbs does it take to fully upgrade the castle, or is there a limit? I might just max it out if it isn't too expensive.
something like 22 i think. something in the 20s. like slightly more than a five pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just didnt equip triangle adept to roy and he does fine, binding blade still lets him tank nearly as well as knights