Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd recommend people reroll til they get a healer, at the very least.

My first few rolls (I didn't optimize my rolls, because I was impatient and wanted a Hector. I failed.):

-3* Nino
-4* Serra
-4* Ogma
-3* Selena
-3* Matthew
-4* Raven
-4* Subaki

Not the worst batch. I'm not sure Subaki's going to see much use - he can fly, has Swap and he gets a bonus when attacking Reds, but our princess' Rally Strength is really good. Ogma and Raven are going to pull a lot of work, since they get Brave weapons right off the bat and heal themselves with their specials.

Also Serra can finally attack, so she's going to be pretty much a mainstay til I feel like pulling on greys again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nephzinho posted:

So now that its out there a bit, how much does real money help? Is there a TON of RNG in the character stats that we're going to curse about? Why won't the iTunes store updateeeeeeeee?!

I got my first empty level up a while back, so yeah, there's going to be some RNG.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay the one thing I've already found that I dislike is that you need stamina to change skills.

Also there's no level-up system for the overall account that can let you get stamina refills.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihilarian posted:

does this game have some sort of promotion or class change system?

Doesn't seem like it, you just upgrade up from rarities.

Any word on how long it takes for the dueling swords to refresh?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyrosiris posted:

Downloaded the APK, and first roll of five gave me 4* Nowi, 4* Fae, 4* Sakura, 4* Fir, 3* Sully. Any good? The linked tier list seems to think so.

You've got a healer, which is all you really need - your free units can actually pull their weight, which is unusual for these kind of games. Sharena in particular is really good thanks to Rally Strength. Anna's a bit low on defenses and Alfonse doesn't really stand out, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So I figured that I'm getting close to 20 orbs, so I'll just burn my stamina potion and if I don't get anything good, I'll just reroll, no major loss.

YUP, I'm sticking with this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Futaba Anzu posted:

are pegasus knights as loving busted in this game as they are in the base games?

Not really. They're limited to 2 Move, and while Flying is nice, bow users will pretty much 2HKO them. Wyvern Riders like Beruka seem much better, since they're a lot sturdier.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lovely poker hand posted:

Show us what Armads does! Also, who's his VA???

16Mt, guaranteed follow-up if HP is at least 80%. His special skill is Buckler (adjacent foes deal 30% less damage, can be upgraded to Pavise for 50%). Skills he needs to learn are Distant Counter (pretty much what it says on the tin), the Spur Attack line, and the special Goad Armor passive (Armored allies get +4 Atk/Spd).

His one flaw is that since he's a knight, he has only 1 Move.

Also he's voiced by Patrick Seitz.

Tae posted:

My opinion is that brave weapons are rear end because the -5 speed basically makes your unit hugely likely to die on the opponent's turn and you don't have enough movement options to make offense that much better

They're great for killing things without prompting a counterattack. Not sure if any of the Brave users learn Vantage, but that's a thing too. Honestly once they get enough speed the -5 Speed isn't a big deal at all.

Myrmidons like Lon'qu and Hana are pretty bad in this game though since their defenses are crap and there's no dodging.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

From what you describe of Hector, Hinoka is incredibly underwhelming as a 5 star. Brave Lance is generic, her only other ability is an aoe that triggers after 5 attacks but it's nothing special.

Hector's really good (we're talking like 25 Str at level 1 ha), but he's definitely got his flaws. The 1 Move is really big and makes him a sitting duck for red mages. He also has low Speed (5 base), so he's not doubling anything without triggering Armads or having his allies do some speed manipulation. Sword users can give him a lot of trouble, and if they have an Armorslayer he's pretty much sunk.

Meanwhile, Florina's an interesting Pegasus despite being a 4* - she already comes with an Armorslayer, she can heal an ally at the expense of her own health, and she can learn Darting Blow and a passive that heals adjacent allies when she attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just a minor correction about Armads - it only triggers if Hector is attacked while at 80% or more HP. So it's a counterattacking effect only.

Ryoma's chapter is pretty darn hard. Saizo and Kagero are pretty brutal, and Hinata's really tanky. Ryoma himself is no real threat if you have a good lancer and Oboro's mostly ignorable, but geez. I'll probably swap in Raven instead of Hector because my favourite lord just gets doubled all day by the ninjas.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LordHippoman posted:

So, with the Winning Streak mechanic in the Arena, does losing mean you lose a bunch of points? Or are they already applied? If it's the former, it seems kinda silly to risk it, which would be lame.

They're already applied, winning streaks just means you get more points per win.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
After playing around with Hector, I don't think he's that strong. He hits like a truck, but he's too easy to confound due to his lowish speed and 1 Move. Ninjas will harass him to no end until he learns Distant Counter.

Subaki's been working pretty well with him actually thanks to Swap.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Brother Entropy posted:

gunther's got a skill called hone cavalry that passively gives +6 atk/spd to adjacent cavalry units at the start of your turn and i can't wait to get some other cavs to have fun with that

Hector has the same, but +4 to armored units two areas around him. Too bad I don't have any others.

I really wish he would proc some speed already. 12 Speed at L16 is better than you'd expect for an armor but still, mages are eating him alive. At least he's doing better than Ogma.

Serra is at least fixing the Speed issue... too bad she can't heal herself without attacking.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cheetah7071 posted:

Check this for information on whether or not your waifu and/or husbando is in the game

Man, I already have 2/3 of the Blazing Blade cast - just missing Lyn, Eliwood and Hawkeye.

I think I'm actually gonna go for another healer next time I roll - they're actually pretty competent attackers in their own right. Not gonna say no to another good sword or bow guy though (c'mon give me Ryoma).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 3, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, the boss of Chapter 9 is rough. I was blowing through most of the chapter thanks to Hector but that doesn't quite fly as well here.

As a tip, steer away from stat bonuses for that fight - the boss has a skill that inverts them for units in an area when they attack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Terper posted:

That's fine, I'll just use Gunter to revert them back :smuggo:

I just pulled Saizo who could do it too, too bad he's 3*. He might be better than Matthew in the long run though. Got a pretty junky batch (only 4* was Peri), but I guess it makes up for pulling Hector.

Anyway finished Normal, Hector and Armads saved the day again. Dude has 40 ATK now, it's nuts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

My run was draining, no doubt, but everything was fine until the last chapter. I'd take full days to beat levels but I could do it. The structure of the final chapter is just a glaring error that's honestly really deflating. If I could just goddamn save before it I probably wouldn't be as harsh on the game, but that issue is emblematic of the greater problems Conquest has.

Conquest is screwed because the design team made a set of maps that are honest to goodness brilliant and then made a couple of moronic choices around the game itself that make quality of life terrible. The XP grinding DLC shouldn't scale, that's stupid, it defies the very point of the DLC. The structure of supports themselves being identical to Awakening is stupid because you don't strap two units to each other forever, meaning it's hard to get A rank supports anywhere. This makes character development scattered at best, but also inhibits team strength. Child units in general are stupid because child units can't be stronger than their parents without screwing game balance. This means almost all the ones you get are disappointing at best, making the concept itself moot from a gameplay standpoint.

In a game that's as difficult as Conquest eventually these needless annoyances catch up to you. It's like they took all these mechanics from Awakening, transferred them over, without realising that these mechanics work well within the overall structure of Awakening and don't within the structure of another game.

The child system in Fates is much more robust than in Awakening; in the latter the children are either useless (since you get them at level 10 unpromoted), or pretty much invalidate the parents (since they get so many benefits from eugenics that training them pretty much makes them better all-around). Fates fixes those problems by both tweaking inheritance (parents get a bit of inheritance from friends and spouses now, and kids inherit less classes), and the existence of the Offspring Seal helps them catch up even if you recruit them late. You might have never used Arthur all-game but maybe as a backpack to his wife, but go ahead and recruit Percy later in the game and he's immediately useful and a good replacement/addition.

Honestly, Conquest is pretty well designed (except a few very frustrating chapters) where just about every unit has a purpose. Whether it's combat, stat backpacking, or helping you through the early game. The only units I'm iffy on are Mozu/Peri/Laslow.

Now, character development and story wise, Awakening wins hands down. I'd take the one-noteness of some of the Awakening characters over how dull most of the Fates cast are. Outside of the Awakening trio, only a handful of characters in Fates are really interesting, which is a problem when you consider that it has the largest cast in the game (well, I think it and RD are kinda close, not sure.)

Back to this game, for people who have cleared Hard/Lunatic, how rough is Chapter 9? I kinda limped through the final boss on Normal on the back of Hector the Great, but I can see him having some trouble down the road with fast mages.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Since I'm chugging through hard mode, I'll just give my opinions on some of the units I'm using:

Red:

Ogma: He was in my initial batch, and while he's done okay, I've needed to shift him from Brave Sword back to Steel, because he's so slow otherwise. He's okay, but he's falling behind on Defense and Speed. Resistance is what you'd expect for a fighter. At least good HP keeps him in line for now.

Lon'qu: 3-star here, sadly. He's alright, really wants more Strength but he kills things fairly well. He's basically a footlocked Peri, including the surprisingly decent Res.

Blue:

Subaki: My main flyer. Sapphire Lance increases the magnitude of the weapon triangle by 20% when he's attacking, so he's great for tanking swordguys. Solid Spd, okay Def and Str. Swap is really useful for Hector.

Florina: Pulled her earlier but haven't really invested in her much. Very unusual stat spread so far, fairly low Def and Spd which is a death sentence. She can heal adjacent allies by attacking or sacrifice her health to heal them. Good Str though.

Peri: Just pulled and she's a killing machine. Pretty explosive Strength and good Spd. Killing Edge accelerates her special, which is a 50% damage increase so she's ripping things apart left and right. Defenses start off low but they catch up without too much trouble, and true to her Fates counterpart her Res is coming up nicely. Really bad HP though, so be careful with her in enemy territory.

Green:

Hector: My boy. Tank is tank, with excellent HP/Str and great Def. Spd and Res aren't unusable, but they're below average and pretty much make him a sitting duck for mages thanks to his 1 Mov. (He's basically that Effie a few posts up.) Distance Counter is amazing and Armads means that if you attack him while he's at 80% or more HP, you're probably dead (unless you're a bulky mage that can 2HKO him.)

Raven: Ogma but better, thanks to an actual Spd growth. Really good Spd actually, he'd have around 25 Spd if it wasn't for Brave Axe. Otherwise fairly standard infantry stats. Hector existing means he doesn't get as much use as he probably should, but he's still really good.

Nino: 3-star, so a bit behind. My only real colour mage so I'm gonna have to put in some work with her eventually. Terrible Def (6), so just... keep her away from anything pointy.

Grey:

Virion: Poor free Virion. He was used early on to take down flyers but he's fallen so far behind on Spd.

Matthew: Pulled a 3-star Matthew so working on him a bit. He's okay, really wants more Str so he can actually kill things. Might swap him for Saizo eventually, but they're both 3-star anyway...

Serra: My only healer so yeah, she's getting lots of work. Also putting in some work as one of my only ranged characters and she's got good Res. She can buff all allies with +4 Spd when she heals, which is pretty great. No self-healing though without hurting her offense.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

boy are my arms tired posted:

so if you get a unit with poo poo stats is there a way to correct those stats or do you need to hope for a new roll and try again?

Gotta live with it. If you have duplicates you can fuse them for additional levels, but that's still RNG.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On another note, healers are probably one of the safest characters to leave at 4* because they barely get any skills at 5* worth grabbing and heals are a flat amount.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of healers, is there any "best" healer out there? I'm leaning towards swapping Maria out for Wrys once I level him up because Maria's lack of a self heal is kind of a bummer, even if she can heal dudes real good.

Honestly depends on what you want. Azama and Elise can heal themselves when healing others, Serra and Lissa can buff the party's SPD/ATK when they heal. Until we get a full comprehensive list of what everybody learns it's hard to compare.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShinyDais posted:

The 1-2 counter sounds especially good. My 5* Jakob is a little brick of stats, durable enough to use as bait and either kill things or lets the next person safely finish because of his dagger's -7 Def/Res, but he only attacks at Rng 2. He has Renewal 3 so I can usually let him soak a hit, but if he had 1-2 range counter I think he'd be my strongest unit by far because it seems like positioning and attacking first matter a lot in this game.

Hector also has 1-2 counter. He's beefier than Takumi but slower and less resistant. He's an axe unit though so he has type matchups; Selena in particular gives him a lot of trouble since she's a sword unit and has an Armorslayer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

Man, I can't think of a single reason to use an armored unit. The higher difficulties is basically a poo poo ton of magic users which negates the whole purpose of a phys tank that hits hard but slow.

They're fairly situational, but they're really good for holding a point, sometimes even through the weapon triangle. For instance, 4* Gwendolyn pretty much laughs at any sword user not named Selena, considering her Killer Lance means she's getting 30% less damage every other combat thanks to Escutcheon. So she's great for handling units like Ryoma, Xander and Lucina, as well as a lot of the 5* swordlords in arena. Yeah mages kinda take a dump on them... but that's pretty much every Fire Emblem.

Hector is the one that breaks the mold, but that's more due to his really good skills.

ShinyDais posted:

Triangle is triangular I suppose. Armors in general seem interesting since they're bricks of stats but the only one I have is 3* Wendy/Gwendolyn and FE6 taught me never to believe in her!

I would love to have Hector even if he weren't good, but if I recall he's at least a 4* base. If he shows up for me down the line, awesome! If not, ah well. Can't get too attached to having any one character in a gacha game, after all. I learned that the hard way!

Hector is 5*, sadly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For those fretting about level up RNG, according to reddit it seems like there's only a few 'sets' of final stats for each character, so there's no way to get totally RNG screwed. You might end up with something dumb like really high ATK/RES but no SPD, but chances are someone else will have the exact same spread.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Arthur's art being wildly conflicting with just about everyone else will never not be funny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pulled my third Matthew (urgh), Clarine (another healer! 3-star, but still competent enough), and... 5-star Corrin. Yay?

Also a 4-star Oboro, who's tanky but I already have lots of lancers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lynkericious posted:

Okay, I'm beginning to think either I have poo poo luck, or 4* Roy is just amaziterrible. Like, Liliana having more attack than him? Well, she's obviously just taking after her dad, that's alright. Clarine having more attack than him? Okay, now we're beginning to see problems.

But loving AZURA HAVING MORE ATTACK THAN ROY?! God drat it Roy, you belong in Thracia 776. :bang:

Don't forget weapons add to ATK. 5* characters have stronger weapons. So subtract the weapon Mt for a more accurate comparison of ATK.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, 5-star Corrin is... not that spectacular so far. Nice ATK/SPD, large thanks to the Yato, but nothing that really establishes him to be a mainstay just yet. If Ogma and Lon'qu don't dramatically start getting better I might just stick with him, even though I don't really like Corrin.

Clarste posted:

I killed him through the wall with Nino. 9-5 was way harder for me.

Agreed, any unit that can tank maybe a hit or two from him can just wail on him through the outside wall at the tip of his attack range with a backup healer or two. Just have your last one or two units near the chokepoint to handle the other units when they come out to greet you.

9-5 is just kind of a pain. I eventually one-shot the boss with a double counterattack from Hector, but if you don't have a good Res unit otherwise it's tough hitting the boss with melee units due to the map's layout.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So someone's managed to pull all the art/sound assets here.

If people want to just look at the character artwork (and laugh at Arthur's), they're available here.

(Also a good reference for 'is this unit in this game?').

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

cpaf posted:

~6 ranging between 200 and 230, all Japanese names

Speaking of crushing this pathetic game mercilessly, the altema tier list has been updated: http://altema.jp/fe-heroes/risemara

Takumi (understandably) now at the very top with Hector, who I haven't had much experience with. Robin has been extremely strong for me in arena simply because he disintegrates Takumis

Takumi, Hector and Ryoma are all high because of their ability to counter at any range. Takumi edges out Hector slightly because of his neutral coverage (Robin aside) and better movement, although Hector is much tougher to take down without possibly sacrificing a unit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that you can use the training tower for those quests, since they're half stamina at the moment. Just keep picking the lvl 35+ ones with the most green foes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Brave weapons are great when they're on characters with enough speed growth not to get doubled. Gordin has a bit more range, but he's in danger just as much as anyone else of being easily doubled, especially since Brave weapons are weaker than Steels when counterattacking (Brave+ weapons fix that, but that's 5*).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aerox posted:

I have a potentially dumb question - I'm using Maria as my healer and she has Physic equipped. In the skill description it says "Heals 8HP to target and all allies within two spaces of that target."

How do I get the splash heal to proc? Every time I heal with her she just heals the main target and no one else. Is there something specific you have to do to use that ability?

Physic is kind of bugged at the moment, I'm not sure anyone's gotten it to splash.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nasgate posted:

You can upgrade them eventually, takes a tonne for my 4 star I checked, i dunno about 3->4

3 -> 4 requires 20 basic badges and 2000 feathers. So the rate is about a 3 > 4 unit every week if you do arena.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Is there any benefit to having two copies of the same unit beyond leveling both to see if one has slightly better stats? I got two Takumis and I just don't see me needing double of an archer, at least not when the rest of my lineup is pretty good. I lost a decent roll due to the error code, and Heroes has decided to make it up to me with this main account. I got Lyn and some decent fours on the first attempt after the PURGE, two takumis in a single roll later, and most recently Ryoma. My team right now is Lyn, Ryoma, Takumi, and 4 star Nino, which has served me well. As a result, I have this bonus level 1 archerbro laying around collecting dust.

Not really, feel free to either fodder it to your best unit for stats or turn them into feathers. 5* duplicates should pretty much be turned to feathers since it's a pretty hefty bonus.

There are a few units that can be really strong together (for instance, a double Hector wall), but most of the time you're doubling up on an element, which might be good or bad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Eopia posted:

Ugh, getting close to hitting the 40 with my two five stars and my two healers are both 34, and suddenly every advanced match in the arena is just teams of all five stars level 35 and up usually with at least one 40.

Throw in a level 1-5 unit or something, like Alfonse, that'll bring your average level down. Healers level so slowly after level 30 that you can just rotate them in and out as needed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone here use Jeorge? I've been leveling him lately since he's my only 4* archer and I was wondering how his growth has been for others. Or are all archers basically mid-high atk/speed glass cannons who die if anything gets an attack off against them?

There's always going to be variations within the same unit type. For instance, Gordin is a slow heavy-hitting archer that excels at player phase due to the Brave Bow. Meanwhile Setsuna is a well-rounded archer that shines at taking out ninjas and archers since she can negate their doubles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Can't speak for all the archers but Niles has a crazy high res and seems to be built as a mage killer. Still dies to a stiff wind though, except y'now not the spell.

I've really been hoping to pull a Niles/Odin/Robin, I need something to counter red mages/dragons that pretty much murder Hector. Subaki/Peri are okay but they still need to actually close in to do the job, and Peri also has the issue of having a huge problem with her HP.

So many lancers now, not a single blue mage...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

If that were the case, why would they go out of their way to make dark magic users red, and Tiki and such?

And personally I don't have many red characters at all (I'm mostly Green), so I found it weird.

Odin's blue, though.

There's no denying that red guys make up the majority of the game, just makes blue units better until you run into a Hector/Camilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

widespread posted:

Sooooo.... I think I should save for the next banner? Because all I really need are regular healers. I mean, Florina could foot that bill, but that'd require a bit of a tighter formation, and as of 4-3, I dunno if I want to keep tight formations.

Depends on if you don't think you need a healer for 9 more days.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So how are you supposed to do that final Chapter 9 mission normally? I cheesed it with double Takumis but it seems like a total pain in the rear end due to the way the map is arranged if you want to use two melees.

Bait in the boss with someone who can attack back (Ryoma/Tiki/Hector or a ranged unit), then finish her off next turn. Sub-boss can be tanked by a blue unit (Gwendolyn is great for this, but any lancer that can tank his attacks will suffice). The longer you leave the boss alone, the more dangerous she gets - aim to finish her off before she can recover her health or get a chance to proc Vengeance.

If possible, leave the Hone skills at home, since they get converted to debuffs when the boss attacks.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 5, 2017