Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nah's not bad, but I voted Morgan instead. Hope you can understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Countblanc posted:

ive voted for hector every single day and yet lyn is still winning. now i'm no mathematician but that just don't add up.

Hector is in two games, splitting the Hector vote.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

voting for the user avatars is the dumbest poo poo i've ever seen

Robin's a good character, is the thing. Well, the Robins are good characters, to be more precise, but you get my meaning.

I mean, yes. They're the Avatar, and they're both relatively low key (M more than F) so they can bounce off the entire cast more easily, but Robin's solid. He's (going with Male Robin for convenience of typing) good at both feeling like your guy in the plot most of the time and at having a personality and relationships with the other characters. The Chrom and Robin and Lucina dynamics are kind of the heart of the story, and Robin plays his part well as the more reserved, cautious counterpart to Chrom's brashness. There's twists that pay off earlier moments, and the crippling self doubt hidden by good humored self-effacement is a nice flaw to balance out the fact Robin's portrayed as a genius's genius.

He's brilliant partially because they made a character that fits the Avatar role. It makes sense Robin talks to everybody, because Robin's kind of a workaholic and believes the team that trusts is the team that triumphs, so of course he talks to everyone and obsessively tries to help with their problems. And, because of the self esteem thing, he's kind of a doormat, so he gives a lot of room for the other characters to indulge their quirks.

With Corrin around to show how easy it is to gently caress up the concept, Robin shines all the brighter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah and corrin is pretty moronic but it's not like she's any dumber than any of the other characters in fates

Maybe. But even if they're all bankrupt she's the one who tried to make the largest withdrawal with the little opera moment.

Really, the thing I hate most about Corrin is the lack of any kind of interesting/any kind of any personality in supports to make up for the stupidity in the main game. Look at Smash. Her win quotes include "Good!" for pete's sake.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sharrrk posted:

there are other reasons that i voted for charlotte,

Speed boost?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

Who even is Cordelia again?

She played the harp at your birthday party, my liege.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I voted for Lucina again, because keeping Corrin as far away from the number one spot as possible is all of our duty as citizens.

Probably also going to repeat votes for Morgan, despite her odds of victory being near zero. Just a little nudge to her odds of getting in the game early to torture various demi-humans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Check this for information on whether or not your waifu and/or husbando is in the game

Huh.

First Fire Emblem ever with a majority female playable cast, if you don't count Tokyo mirage session (or if you count the mirages as well as the mirage masters, in which case guys have the lead in that one) . Interesting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Roy in this game is... let's say average.

Not at five stars he isn't.

Five Star Roy is a loving monster. Just aim him in the right direction and things evaporate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MotU posted:

here is a note: if you combine units to get the bonus level, it reduces the amount of feathers it takes to rank them up. So if you jam a 4* into a 4*, it'll cost 300 feathers less to rank them up

So, about the same amount as you'd get for trading it in?

I guess that makes up for the spending if you upgrade a unit, but it seems less versatile than just sending them home.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget weapons add to ATK. 5* characters have stronger weapons. So subtract the weapon Mt for a more accurate comparison of ATK.

Yeah. Five star Roy has decent skills and the Sword of Seals, which is, as usual, stupid good. So, basically Roy's weak at four stars since his five star bonus is broken good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You can make that feeling go away by spending more money on more rolls

(don't do this)

I can speak from experience that this doesn't really help.

On the upside, I now have a three star Robin and the fancy Tiki. So, it's not all bad. Just a lesson on not whaling like a dumbass.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

You mean raising their star level? Pretty sure everything is lost. All your levels, all your stats, and probably your skills too (haven't checked). It's essentially trading her in for a brand new copy with more stars.

They get reset to level 1 with level 1 stats (if possibly improved level 1 stats, assuming silver beat bronze in that department), but skills and skill points are intact. Which is handy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jokes posted:

If I dedicate myself to making a 2* get to 5* (which is impossible as I understand it because 20000 feathers is impractical), is that 5* inherently worse than other 5*s? Usually upgraded trash tiers in a gacha game are just inferior to natch 5*s.

No difference. Well, they might get slightly better or worse random stat rolls, but that's all. Otherwise, they're the same.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I love how Kozaki draws up how the ridiculous anime hairstyles could work.

They're really nice diagrams.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

What is the actual game like at the center of this? The battle system, or whatever, that is the core mechanic if you ignore the collect-em part? Is it strong, with fairly complex decisions to make? I'm always looking for new games, but don't want to put time in if it's fairly mindless.

It's pretty good, surprisingly.

The maps are small, but there's a lot of interaction between the skills and the emphasis on the weapon triangle lets you overcome tougher odds with good planning, or gently caress yourself over with what should have been a sure win.

The AI is dumb, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Lilina is terrifying to Hector.

This makes me very happy for some reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

give me henry already yuo stupid loving games!!!!

I'm pretty sure the game is built to sense desire and refuse to fulfill it.

Explains me only getting a 3 star Robin and no Lucina. Meanwhile? 3 Corrins. One five star.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

You get a total of 135 orbs from every main chapter completed at all 3 levels and get an additional 6 from the bonus map.

And 8 more from quest rewards, and 2 a day for the duration of the launch bonus window.

Decent amount, assuming you're not aiming for someone in particular.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

As someone who has Henry, I can only imagine your pain at this point.

I'm very sorry.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seems Severa was hurt most by the split vote of anyone.

Would have made the top ten, barely, if they were combined, but didn't even make the top twenty with the separate listings. And meanwhile her mother gets top ten.

Can't be good for her inferiority complex.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, and the voting put Morgan in the top fifty, so I'm content.

Considering about half of all players never got her at all, that's not too bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eopia posted:

Is it just me or did the notice for the special event character disappear? Wasn't it supposed to start tonight?

It's the tonight that kicks off 20 hours from now, not the tonight that's already started.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You got Donnel.

I've got five golds, and I'm still using a bronze Donnel in the arena, because Donnel gets things done. Blue with a brave weapon means he's useful against reds, which are everywhere. Pullback lets him control enemy positions. And reciprocal aid means that, if nothing else, he can be an emergency health pack for one of your more important units.

Yeehaw.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KoldPT posted:

The Narcian map is really bullshit if you don't have a Hector or a flyer who can pull the enemies without getting boatmurdered.

Nobody on my team can survive a turn on any of the three choke point tiles :(

I just kicked its rear end with neither, although it got a bit touch and go.

Three star Donnel continued to pull considerably more than his weight, drawing the initial aggo, then running HP to Roy as he kicked in all the teeth that had even considered being in Narcian's mouth.

Everybody else was basically just a sack of HP for Donnel to draw from. Reciprocal aid is a shockingly good healing tool. Yeah, it just moves health around rather than generating it from scratch, but it can heal a unit from 1 to 39 in one turn, and that's pretty handy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

what's the difference between Marth and Lucina

Lucina is cool and loves fights, while Marth is kind of a wussy baby in every game but localized Shadow Dragon.

Oh, you mean in heroes!

Marth has better defenses and mobility abilities, Lucina hits harder and gets abilities that let her and her team utterly wreck people's poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cosmic Afro posted:

Is she good? But at 2* that's gonna take some work!

Three stars gets her dancer utility, and that's all she really needs to be useful. So, 19 levels and 200 feathers. Not too bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spellman posted:

Yea there's definitely something hosed up here, I feel as though maybe the Roy was a Robin or something which would make a big difference. But I was hitting with Marth and Takumi dead on again and again, and nothing was happening. Either he had some buffs from his surrounding units, or the healer was doing its job, but I was just laughing by the end of the match when I was hitting him full-on with all of my units, and they weren't doing poo poo

I once saw a Marth teleport (and loving ruin my team) at full health.

There's a faint whiff of bullshit in the arena sometimes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Nope, promote as soon as you're ready, anything after is just wasted stamina.

The only benefit to leveling a unit to cap is to determine their nature before you spend the feathers, but if you care about that stuff you should be doing it at level 1 anyway.

Well, you also get skill points, which can sometimes be handy for getting what you want when starting a unit off, but yeah. Mostly no real benefit to it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

the paralogue is basically HEY INCEST JOKES so I don't see what you're defending.

Anna's whole intro is "Uh, just so you know, things might get... skeeve. FYI."

Also, I didn't get any new draws, but the repeats let me up my Robin to five stars, so that worked out alright. Sucks he's got a minus attack plus HP nature, but life is cruel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Is minus attack Robin still decent?

I mean, he seems workable, even with plus HP being probably the weakest advantage, but I'd rather know in advance if he sucks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So are there any story missions with level 35 armored units? Trying to finish this mission for the orbs before time runs out and it's turning impossible. Every time I get a tower stage with one it inevitable gets stopped by some solid bullshit like a guy that inexplicably gets two turns in a row, or a lucina that does like 50+ damage and doubles every unit I have, even the green ones.

Lunatic world of Blazing. Hector's an armored unit, and he turns up over level 35 in... two nobles, I think. Should work.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Leveling 2 or 3*s to even level 20 in the training tower is laborious. They drop off so hard after level 15.

I dunno about 3 stars. Some of them are alright. (I still swear by three star Donnel pulling his weight), but lower stars? Yeah. That's what shards are for, because fighting with them is agony.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I don't mind the random units so much. But when my only choices are something I can't tackle at all or something that won't give me any exp, it kind of sucks.

Well, they are expanding the window you get XP from, at least. A little help beats none.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

I actually think skill inheritance will break this and am salty about it beforehand, but in its current state f2p players can easily place in the top 5k worldwide, which is actually kind of insane.

On the one hand, we don't know much yet, and they've avoided the previous few times the game almost got wrecked, so I'm not entirely without hope...

On the other, yeah. I can see a lot of disaster coming down the pipe from this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

acumen posted:

Skill inheritance all willy nilly would be pretty dumb and allow for some ridiculously overpowered combos like vantage-Takumi listed above.

I'm still guessing it's going to be new costumes/classes you can merge into the originals to fill empty skill slots, give you poo poo to spend sp on, and keep things more easily balanced. Being a few weeks from now would fit a timeline for the contest winner's new costumes too.

Having to consider every other character's skill choices when creating new units/skills sounds like a terrible idea for content developers.

Yeah, that sounds pretty likely, especially if you can get a three star of one of the specials as a thanks for voting thing. It also would mean that if, say, Olivia gets really nice art later, but a bad skillset, or if some awful looking later Lucina has excellent skills, you can keep using the art you like with useful skills.

Here's hoping everything doesn't get messed up forever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tithin posted:

I finally have enough feathers to upgrade someone to a 5* and I need another 15 emblems? I dont even know what colour those are, what's the best way to get them?

The training tower gives them at the top levels, but it's semi random, and it gives different colors on different days. Weekend is all of them, but it's luck of the draw which you get.

Also, there's missions to get forty if you have the current special gotcha characters, but those are rare, so you'll probably need another method.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I got Sanaki.

Some redundant buff abilities, and triangle adept isn't so good on a red in the current environment, but it's not like she has a lot of competition right now, and I hear good things about harsh command. Might be handy when the banner comes around.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm gonna start using Odin even though people say he's bad because he's cool and nice.

Kinda wish that they reduce feather cost if you level them higher than level 20, the feather costs are criminal.

The feather costs are fine for everything short of five stars. You can get one guy upgraded a week, in addition to any event bonuses, which is pretty fair.

It's the five star cost that's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The one from World of Blazing where you fight hector has two I think

Two noblemen. About the best way to get that mission done I can think of.