Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I've been using this Gauntlet to level up all my archers, since there's usually at least one Camilla if not two in every match I've faced.

I like Jeorge and Setsuna quite a bit, but I just got Klein, so he's next on the test track.

Any suggestions for Klein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

People losing their poo poo over a popularity contest is really funny.

I still get what a lot of you guys are saying. It would be more interesting if every character was super popular or not popular at all. Like, Henry and Merric (lol) are not in the same caliber as Leo and Robin, for instance.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Only my team put in effort, the other team is a bunch of lazy cheaters who are terrible.

Indianapolis Colts 2015

Team Julia 2017??

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun fact.

In the "Choose Your Hero" poll, Leo came in nineteenth overall.

Henry came in 20th.

They were less than fifty votes apart.

Are you serious?

I really underestimated Henry's popularity.

But seriously, Merric.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I want to pull for Celica, but I've gotten 4/6 3-star Hinatas from red orbs. The other two were 4-star Hinatas.

I feel like it's punishment for getting Takumi, Tharja, and Kaguro in one pull.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

LightningSquid posted:

I would do anything for my weird character that I constantly pull to be Hinata, I desperately need more Fury. Can I interest you in trading for my 1800 Florinas?

I mean, the fury's have been nice. I'm just out of people I want to use fury on. lol I got two Shannas too, but I like Desperation a lot.

I've never gotten Florina. What does she have that's good?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Tae posted:

Tharja basically helps cure half the problems of the team with her magic, and the other half is making Virion repair orphanages and build bridges.

I wonder how many of the people who are super upset about Tharja's character ever did any of Tharja's supports in Awakening.

She's not perfect, but the A support with Noire shows that she at least wants to be a good mother.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Tae posted:

The same could be said for basically any character. Most people don't read more than 2 supports in the grand fandom.

I mean, there's a reason Robin is in the final as well. The dude's personality is "generally bewildered" at best.

I like Robin in Awakening, but let's not pretend that most fans are voting on personality here.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

He's in the final because he was in Smash Bros, and was the self-insert for Awakening, the game that many players started with.

My point exactly? I'm just saying he doesn't have much to go on besides that. "Tip the scales" is a good phrase, though. I agree with that.

Anyways, back to the fun part of this game. I have enough feathers to promote two to gold, any suggestions? I have:

Sharena
Reinhardt
Xander
Nino
M!Robin
Ursula
Zephiel
Jeorge
and a Cherche I've been trying to meme with.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

If Reinhardt is +atk he's in the running for best character in the game

I'll need to double check, but I'm fairly sure he's a +spd. Is that still viable?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd hold out on anything other than +atk. He's 4* so you'll get more eventually. On that list, Sharena is a good choice, as is +spd Nino (Nino is also good but again why waste feathers when you'll get more of her eventually)

cheetah7071 posted:

Alternatively, promote Cherche

Don't let your memes be dreams

cheetah7071 posted:

Xander is good

Thank you for the advice! I'm probably gonna go with Cherche and/or Nino, since she's +SPD.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

So, over a billion point difference is the same? Okay.

I'm guessing the difference between characters to get from same to winning/losing is percentage based, but does anyone know the percentage?

It said 10% in the update initially, which makes sense because 2.7 billion or so was the trigger for the last x3 at the end.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not gonna spend 20k on a healer and I'm not gonna tank my score by running a 4*

Maybe I should use my 5* Priscilla outside of my horse team.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Already have Klein, but I would love a Hinoka.

*Gets a pull with 5 blue orbs.*

Oh boooooy

OH BOOOOY

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lovechop posted:

wow lucky, you got a 4 star

First pull, which made me believe. Too bad I've already melted down three Odin's for Blarblade.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I used up my extra Lon'qu (Vantage 3) and Laslow (Axebreaker 3) for my new 5* Cherche, But now I'm debating which of those B skills I use. Also, should I use a Brave Axe + or bring up my extra Michalis to give her Hauteclare?

I also don't know if I should keep the Attack +3 or give her something like Iote's Shield or something. Her C skill is a Hone Def for now, I'm not willing to melt my +atk Ephraim.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

Brave Axe is by far the best weapon for Cherche. For A-skills, Cherche really wants Death blow 3, if you don't have that keep the ATK+3.

The B-skill doesn't matter that much but I'm a big fan of drag back on fliers since it helps Cherche get back to safety after she murders someone with a brave axe. Axebreaker seems like a fine choice if you don't have anyone else to deal with Hector.

Also, Hauteclere is a unique weapon so it can't be inherited

Thanks for the advice. Good call on Hauteclere, I forgot about that. Also, I gave my Cordelia Draw Back for Flier Emblem, but I have a couple of Donnells I can melt. And I have a Hawkeye for Death Blow 2, so I don't know if that's better than Atk 3.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Ugh just pulled a 5* +atk Raven, and now I'm debating giving my Cherche his Brave Axe+ or adding him to my infantry team (Ephraim, Tharja, Takumi, Kagero).

All I want is a Hinoka to replace my baaad Catria in Flier Emblem.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 24, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I decided to create a defense team with BCordelia, 4* Ursula, 5* Nino, and 5* Tharja.

Realistically, it shouldn't be dominating like this, but I went from having no successful defenses in the last three arena battles, to 4 in two days.

I guess I'm surprised people don't have a plan for the rotating surfboard of blades. Like literally Kagero or Jaffar.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Elyv posted:

So I originally wasn't going to roll on any of these banners because while Rein is great and all I already have a bunch of powerful mage based comps and a 4 star rein to eventually 5 star so do I really need him anyway? Then I decided what the hell, best character in the game, may as well try to save me the 20k feathers, god knows I have enough things to do with feathers already. Pull on the banner, get a +atk/-def Rein on my first pull, showing my incredible skill at the game

lol I was shaking my fist at you, then did literally the exact same thing. Time to melt old Reinhardt I suppose. Who likes having Vantage? Or should I just merge?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Is Flier Emblem a hard team to put together? I have some good fliers, but I don't feel like they would work well as a team.

Like, Horse Emblem has forever changed with the addition of Reinhardt over Abel, and I'm wondering if there's an equivalent game changer in the fliers

My fliers are:

5* +atk -spd Cherche
5* +atk -def Cordelia
5* +spd -hp Catria
4* +atk -def Palla
4* +spd -atk Camilla
4* Shanna
4* Clair
4* Est
4* Baruka
4* Michaelis
3* Narcian

I dunno, it just seems like Flier teams have a lot of disadvantages. (No duh)

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

A good flier emblem team needs Hinoka (for Hone fliers) and spring Camilla. It's really not worth doing otherwise (except for clearing some quests).

And so I continue my quest for Hinoka.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

The only game-changer as far as Flier Emblem goes is Spring Camilla, being the only ranged flier. Sadly she won't be available again until next spring, if ever.

That said, you have a fine foundation to make a flier team. Your Cherche has nearly the ideal nature (-res is better). Give her a Brave Axe and she'll kill just about everything in sight. Cordelia is really good and yours is, again, either the ideal nature or nearly so. Catria and Palla also have nearly ideal natures. Your Camilla is trash. Shanna is decent depending on nature (you want either +atk or spd), and Michalis is all around decent (if you give him Quick Riposte he behaves like a green Subaki. He also has Iote's Shield, which tankier fliers will want, like aforementioned Subaki).

I'd make a team of Cherche, Palla, Cordelia, and additional flier of your choice. You definitely want Palla because she gets Goad Fliers, the key skill for Flier teams. If you wind up drawing a Caeda, you can give her buff to someone, and if you get more Pallas, pass the Goad Flier love around. You'll also want Draw Back, Reposition, and/or Drag Back on your fliers. Oh, and feed that Clair to someone. Hit and Run is great for fliers! Flier Emblem lives and dies by its positioning skills, keeping their allies in range of buffs and maneuvering over difficult terrain to snipe kills.

Yeah, I built Cordelia and Cherche to be good individually (and I've been lucky with my flier ivs, unlike my literal army of -atk sword lords), but even with Catria, the team didn't seem to work. I hadn't thought about repositioning moves or adding Palla, so that's probably the main reason why. Thanks, I'll give those a try!

Fake edit: I just realized; are there any ramged flying units in any fire emblem game? I was thinking of Valkyrie Maribelle in my Awakening game, but I don't remember if she had spells or just healed.

L'Arachel just came to mind too.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Holy moly I forgot about Aversa.

Haven't played Fates yet, but other than Aversa, does anyone start as a ranged flier? Because it's doubtful we'll get "flying healer" versions of Maribelle, L'Arachel, Clarine, and Priscilla.

Just had an idea for a special summon series.

Edit: Galeforce was such a ridiculous thing in Awakening.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

Well, these special banners can have non-standard units. Like, uh, spoon Charlotte or bunny Lucina. So there's some hope for flying healers.

Watch them announce a flying healer banner with Camilla, Hinoka, Caeda and ... Subaki.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

Valkyries are horse units, not fliers.

For flying staff users, there's also Elincia, but if she were in the game she'd more likely be a red flier with a unique sword. Her signature sword in her games had a brave effect.

I'd be more excited for aforementioned herons for flying dancers.

Thanks for reminding me why I'm disappointed every time it about to upgrade a troubadour.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The lack of Wrys now begs the question... Lissa or Priscilla...

E: went with Lissa. First match was my Reinhardt, Lucina, and Leo against three Mists.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 27, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I have every healer in this gauntlet except for Elise. Is she worth a random pull? I spent like, 45 orbs to get summer Frederick and FRobin, so it's not like I'm really waiting for anything.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Polio Vax Scene posted:

All of yall who didn't vote for the best waifu best be ashamed

But the Flier Gauntlet was ages ago.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

My last battle had a fully stocked up Xander and Priscilla fighting with my Reinhardt.

In other unrelated news, I used my 20,000 feathers to 5* Xander to replace Leo or Eldigan.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

yo is there something i'm missing about xander because i'm leveling one now and he is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes and it's probably Siegfried

It's Siegfried. Xander is extremely okay without it, but is a powerhouse with it.

Also, is a +atk Priscilla comparable to Elise? I just got a pull with 4 colorless and got 2 Azamas, a Gaius, and a Setsuna, so I feel a little deflated. And I have this Priscilla just chilling in my horse emblem team already...

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 3, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I feel like Infernal is somehow more doable than lunatic. I go in cautiously on infernal and maybe that's the reason?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Supercar Gautier posted:

I beat lunatic on my first attempt, but haven't found the right way through infernal yet. I don't see how it could be considered easier.

Like, I'm having the opposite problem, but I think it was mostly dumb luck, and now I can't figure out how to replicate it. I didn't mean to say easier, I just can't seem to do lunatic at all and I got infernal done somehow.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 6, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Jesus. My level 21 Clarisse just beat a level 30 Boey.

Granted, Clarisse was on a defense tile, but still, I just can't believe Boey is that bad.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 22, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I don't think I understand how the arena matchups are put together, because my team of level 30s just fought 3 level 40+5s and a 32+2 Julia. They had a deathless defense.

But how was that matchup one of the three I could've taken? I have no merged units on that team and none of them are past level 30.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

Were your units particularly high BST? It just averages the score (and advanced duels give opponents whose score is slightly higher than yours).

I didn't think they were particularly high, but that was probably it.

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe your team was all 5*s and theirs was mostly 4*s? Maybe you had lots of skill inheritance and they had none?

The matchmaking works pretty well at level 40. Sucks to hear it doesn't really work below it

Both teams were 50/50 gold/silver, but the Julia and Kagero on the other team had no skill inheritance while I think the only one on my team without new skills was my Elise.

I've never had a problem with Arena before, but that matchup made me realize I had no clue how the matchmaking actually worked.

The teams were:
My team:
29 5* Elise
30 5* Camilla
30 4* Donnel
30 4* Clarisse

Their Team:
32+2 5* Julia
40+5 5* Kagero
40+5 4* ATiki
40+4 4* Priscilla

Edit: Also, the opposing definitely had no skill inheritance at all, which could explain everything.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 24, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

In addition to skill inheritance factoring into matchmaking (the more SP your equipped skills cost, the more you're boosted), you'll also rarely be matched way higher than usual. I think you just have a setup that unfortunately causes spurious matchmaking below 40 (but I is fine at 40), and then got unlucky on top of that

That makes sense.

I was initially frustrated, but my Clarisse team got a deathless run yesterday, so it kinda feels like that impossible matchup was bound to happen. Just looking at those level 40s and thinking, "I have no clue what led to this" was kinda funny.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Murderion posted:

Do you remember what you would have scored if you'd won? The highest score out of the two is the combined BST+ nebulous skill based score of the team. I think the matchmaking sometimes has trouble matching you against any teams at all below level 40, so it just pitches you into the gently caress you tier.

FWIW, I started climbing the ranks after the big arena shakeup a couple of months ago, and (as far as I can remember) got to rank 10 on easy matches, rank 13 on intermediate, rank 15-16 on a mix of intermediate/advanced, and I'm currently bouncing between 17 and 19 on hard matches. I really don't give the arena much thought and can still get good rewards every week.

Between 450-600? I remember the high end being really high, which should've been my first clue.

I got up to tier 19 when BCordelia was a bonus character, but now I'm perfectly comfortable shifting between 17 and 18. 18 is my ceiling, and 17 is my average. I can experiment with teams at tier 17 and not feel envious of the really good players.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

ChronoReverse posted:

Huh, Lloyd Infernal is easier than Lunatic. You can attack (even if you don't kill) the green axe that was added, draw back and then wait for the enemies to funnel in through the bottleneck.

I was wondering if I was going crazy. The map seemed a lot easier to manage with the extra unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Now who should I half-rear end support after Frederick? Nobody seems overwhelmingly popular?