Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Since we get a free 5 star now do I keep remaking my account until I still get one with my starting freebies too?

I got 5 star Roy and a 4 star Camilla, should I delete and reroll until I get a 5 star with the freebie rolls too?

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I got a 5 star katerina and roy on my first reroll. Good enough?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

neongrey posted:

Katarina is a solid red mage. Is the Roy on a horse or not a horse? Horse is better.

Yea he's on a horse. I should have taken Lyn I guess? Oh well nbd probably?

Where do I spend my starting orbs?

Washout fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Roger Explosion posted:

Also, Washout, go to Story Maps > Main Story > Book II > Chapter I- The Flame (the one with the angry ginger in the golden armour on the front). Complete that chapter, even on Normal mode, and you get another free 5-star unit: Fjorm.

She's a melee lance unit but with the ability to counter attacks from ranged enemies (with the added bonus of dishing back some of the damage they dealt to you). She only came out recently so us whales who have been playing since launch don't have much use for her, but I imagine she'll be fantastic for someone just starting out.

Yea so instead of getting 5 star Lynn I've gotten 2 5 star gennies, kill me.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Roger Explosion posted:

Genny is one of the better healers in the game and, when you get enough refining stones, you can upgrade her staff to completely avoid counter attacks. Pair that with her B-skill which enables her to do full damage, and you've got a good unit. Keep the second Genny around to give that B skill to another healer.

So, what are your 5 star units? Fjorm, Genny, Brave Roy? That's a better start than what I got back at launch.

Guess what I got as my new 5 star this morning, another Genny. :(

My 5 stars so far are: Fjorm, Brave Roy, Genny x3, and Katerina. I have a feeling that once I finish all the story quests orbs are going to come much slower? So far I've been getting a fair few per day. I work security so plenty of time that's for sure.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

You might want to stop pulling colorless. Full 5-pulls are only for when you legitimately want a banner unit of all four colors, imo.

So I should do 5 now instead? Also I got 5 star Julia a bit ago. I shouldn't keep doing colorless for a 5 star Lyn?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

not sure what you mean here, but I'll clarify what I meant.

Once you have decent stable of 5*s, I'd recommend targeting specific characters that interest you, and only pulling orbs of those colors. Don't try to target off-banner units either, it's better to wait for future banners featuring them.

Game is confusing as poo poo, so I'm not sure what characters to even go for. I was doing colorless on the newbie banner in the hopes of getting 5 star lyn, But I'd be better off doing 5 pulls instead until I max my pity rate and then go for colorless again? I have literally no idea what I'm doing.

5 stars now: Genny x 3, Julia, Brave Roy, Katerina, Fjorm, and no idea where to spend my orbs beyond someone telling me that I should pull colorless on the newbie banner for a Lyn since she is best in the game??

Is there a way to farm potions? They are mostly just something I've gotten randomly do I need to be paying more attention to my quest logs??

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 11, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Wait is the newbie banner still Julia/Genny/Ninian/Ike or did it change to Ike/Celica/Ayra/Deirdre/BCamilla/Hector/Xander/Caeda/Fjorm/Genny/Blyn/BCordelia?

If it's the latter then yeah keep ;ulling as long as you can you just got unlucky.

Ah it's still the former so I suppose I should be shooting for Tharja or Nino? Should I just reinstall again? Was taking Roy a big mistake? I've only topped out with some characters at level 30 and had no idea Lyn was such a game breaker, and it seems like I wasted a lot of my easy orbs rolling colorless so much??

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Personally I'd reinstall, but cheetah makes a good point.

E: Unless Roy is a character you like, in which case you should stick with it IMO.

I actually dislike him a lot, so yea rerolling again. Lets hope I get lucky with my rolls and get some easy 5 stars again.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Personally I'd reinstall, but cheetah makes a good point.

E: Unless Roy is a character you like, in which case you should stick with it IMO.

I reinstalled, got lucky and got tharja with my free orbs, so I'm off to the races again with blyn and her to start.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Ok so after my reroll and pretty deep into clearing the story missions on hard I realised I need to make a real team. What should my team comp be to let me clear the story missions through to the end?

Julia
Ephraim (man for a newbie getting his weapon upgraded seems daunting)
Young Tiki
Tharja
Fjorm
Ninian
Titania
BLyn

I don't have any 5 star healers and my 4 star healers seem crap, none with horses. Should I try to get a Genny next? I've been pulling for a Takumi from advice a couple pages back but I've hit a wall with my team and need to powerlevel my lower level 5 stars up and make a new team.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 13, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

5 star healers aren't really necessary. If you want Genny then by all means pull for her but don't feel like you need to

Your best team with that setup is probably something like Ephraim/Ninian/Tharja/Blyn if you're willing to do some skill inheritance. Put hone speed (from matthew) and rally defense or resistance (from various 3 stars) on Ephraim and have him buff Tharja's Raudrblade+ into the stratosphere

Yea I'd like to do some cheap and easy inheritance, so I'll work on that and get him sorted. Whats easy inheritance to work on for the others you listed?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

FartingBedpost posted:

Who are your healers? My only 5*s I’ve kept are Priscilla, Lachesis and Elise, but I’ve used my Lissa more often than not, and Azama and Lucius have a decent weapon for healers.

Genny’s useful if you want a healer that can kill or you want to make such a healer, but I’d work on getting other units from future banners.

As for your team, I agree with Cheetah. Julia is a powerhouse, and Ephraim can buff Tharja. BLyn doesn’t need much help.

Young Tiki and Titania need a lot of outside skills, and Ninian is useful, but Ephraim is more valuable in that team.

Lucius, Aazama, and Sakura are the only ones I've gotten so far. They all seem bad but I haven't levelled any yet.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly they're all good out of the box except for Ephraim. I could post their optimal builds I guess but it's not really a big deal

Nah, I can hunt through the wiki, I was just wondering if there is some other easy stuff that I might already have.

edit: Should I just get a klein or gordon and give a regular brave bow to BLyn? Or is that a downgrade and it's only worth giving her a brave bow+?

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 13, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

For whatever reason in 708-718 arena by far the majority of DCs I see are on lances
is there any other way to get DC other than 5 star hector? Seems like a hard skill to track down.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

As a ftp newbie do I save all my orbs for this winter banner or keep pulling for Ike off the newbie banner? I think I'm going to have about 70 orbs after finishing the lunatic story missions.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you want the winter characters or Ike more? That's all that really matters.

I don't have a red sword in my stable at all so probably Ike!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

tithin posted:

Turns out feh doesn't do refunds according to their support. Ah well I got 360 back from Google, can't complain.

File a complaint with their states attorney general, you'll have to find what state the corporate headquarters are in but they'll refund you asap if you do that. Admittedly I got a reimbursement from a credit card reporting company not a game company doing this but I bet it would work. Companies that won't refund in good faith when you are dissatisfied with a product are looked upon very poorly.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

So I'm still trying to clear lunatic for the free orbs but seem to have run into a wall in act 10. I can't complete a stage anymore and that means I'm not able to complete quests for the sweet free potions and poo poo either. Maybe I just have to collect dailies for a while and I'll be giving up on my built up pity bonus in the newbie banner where I was trying to get Ike but se la vie. No having access to any seals since I'm still only a week old player probably has a lot to do with it too. Just sitting on the game for a few weeks collecting feathers and stuff so that I can do some promotions and fill out my roster better seems like a good idea too.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Got 4 star Reinhardt with my free pull. Only a week and I'll have enough feathers to promote him.

Washout fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 18, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Roger Explosion posted:

Do you know how stats work yet? Unequip his weapon for the correct attack stat and look up his boon/bane on a wiki. How's you roster going? Care to give us a screenshot?

The Reinhardt is +atk -spd which is ideal I've read?

Washout fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 18, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I have a 3* and 4* atiki too should I take the one with the worse stats and give ytiki lightning breath?

Edit: can you upgrade a weapon after inheriting it or do you have to upgrade it first?

Washout fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 18, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

AweStriker posted:

If you're talking upgrades you need Lightning Breath+, which you need to inherit from a 5* unit

And now I understand why people just use Atiki instead...

FartingBedpost posted:

Didn’t see anyone answer you, but you have to upgrade that Lightning Breath to Lightning Breath + before giving it away.

If you’re talking about refining, you can refine that LB+ after inheritance.

Also, nice roster you’ve got going!

I've been using an earlier suggestion of Ephriam, Ninan, Tharja, and Blyn to clear the map. I've been inheriting skills to them but they are by no means done yet. Given my roster is there a good team to make for those big insane defenses with like 30 dudes you have to kill? I have problems with those.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 19, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I think I have enough Eliwood to start my first merge project, I've got 2x 4*, and 4x 3*. Is he worthwhile? I'll have reinhardt, titania, and blyn so I need a red cavalry and he seems pretty easy to get to 4* +10.

vvv: Sorry yeah meant a totally different hero, staring at the wiki too long.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 19, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Well I managed to use my pity rate on the last day of my newbie banner and got Ike and another Julia. Is there any use for this second Julia or should I just merge?

Who do I go after with the current banner(s)? Who's the strongest unit on the Christmas banner? Or should I just save everything for the next banner?

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 19, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Is this a good build for titania? I'm a bit apprehensive about spending my last hinata and Oscar for it, but I'm not going to get distant counter anytime soon. My planned horsey team is Eliwood, Titania, Reinhardt, and BLyn and I'm not sure if fury is going to be more needed on Eliwood, and Reinhardt will get the first lancebreaker, so it might be a while before I scrape together enough orbs to get her skilled up.

Budget Titania
Emerald Axe+
Reposition
Moonbow
Fury 3
Lancebreaker 3
Hone Cavalry / Goad Cavalry
Attack +1

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Elyv posted:

bring back Xander and I guess Camus, IntSys, look what this poor person has been forced into doing

(your build seems fine. I don't think I'd want Lancebreaker but I can't think of anything I'd particularly want in the B slot so whatever. Maybe QR)

E: actually I'd probably run Cecilia instead of either Eliwood or Titania

I haven't put much into titania yet, maybe save her till I have DC? I got the two free event cecilias so I can start merging her along with Eliwood, that seems a lot better in the long run.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Gluten Freeman posted:

I will never fully upgrade my castle both because I won't spare the orbs and because I don't want the exp boost making grinding for sp more tedious.

What how does it make SP grinding worse?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

So I'm on my last hinata and don't have anyone for death blow or even just attack to give to Reinhardt, should I give him fury 3 or put it on Julia instead?

Washout fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 20, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

What's the upcoming tempest trial anyway?I've got no idea whats going on still other than following guides.

I'm trying to build up takumi now and this doesn't look that great?? But I suppose it's cheap for a newbie. Making a brave bow build for him just isn't doable while I'm still trying to build up dudes like reinhardt and cecilia first.

Fujin Yumi (+Spd)
Reposition
Vengeance
A Close Counter
B Vantage 3
C Threaten Spd 3
S Speed +3

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I'm promoting and merging the free Olivias I just got and am wondering how merging and unlocking potential works? Specifically when do I bother levelling to 40 before doing so? I can learn skills before merging and they will be transferred to the main from the donor but they only get a fixed amount of sp when I merge? But when I promote they keep everything so I should level to 40 generally before promoting for the free extra sp? But if it's a donor with no skills needed I don't need to bother levelling extra?

Trying to understand this correctly for when I promote and merge up my Eliwood since I have 4 3* and 2 4* and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

idk why you'd need so many SP on olivia that you need to grind each merge to 40 but that's more or less how it is yeah

Just loving with it before I do Eliwood. Olivia is a good candidate for a 4* +10 merge because of how common she is I was reading, though I only have the 2 so far so I'm just messing around.

I'm playing this a lot since I'm at work and running out of stamina all the time (i work security ton of downtime). There's only 3 potions left on my quest list and I redeemed everything from my nintendo already. Nothing else for it other than spending orbs is there? But I don't want to do that im guessing.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 21, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Olivia is a good candidate for merging at 4*, yes.

For promoting, if it's a unit you plan to use, level them all the way to 40 before you Unlock Potential. You'll get way more SP that way for learning skills. If it's just a unit you're promoting to feed to someone else, don't bother levelling past 20. As long as a unit is able to learn a skill, they can pass it to someone else. They don't have to have it learned. Oh and another random protip because I've seen people get tripped up on this: you can inherit up to three skills at a time.

For Eliwood, I assume you'll be promoting one to 5* to get Durandal, and then merging the 5* back down to make him 4*+10?

I got caught thinking I had to learn the skill first, wasted a bunch of stamina, which is when I made that post so I won't get tripped up again. And yeah I'll get a Eliwood his sword eventually but I was just going to merge him up to 6 at first but maybe I should save one just in case. Turns it into another few weeks before he's done but what the heck.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

For new players the game is good, my only complaint is not enough stamina. I was hoping the google play rewards would give me enough free stuff so I could just spend those orbs on extra stamina but those surveys are super lackluster. I got 17 cents from one of the surveys last night. I managed to get two more Atikis last night on the free roll +15 orbs but I'm at a loss what to do with her since dragons all seem to require really big investments, leave these 4 Atikis for another day I'm sure. I'd like to get nowi off this banner but there's little chance of that since I'm gated via feathers and stuff from being able to even get my Horse Emblem team off the ground.

It takes a really top tier team to clear the lunatic story content, unless I'm doing something totally wrong. I haven't been able to complete a skillset on a core team yet, but I've not been trying super hard since I want to use the horse emblem team as my core and that's just waiting on enough feathers, who knows maybe I'll be able to get it serviceable enough in time to clear the rest of the story content before this banner disappears.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 22, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah the game is great for new players. Do your absolute best to resist the urge to spend orbs on stamina. There's a tempest trial coming up and those drop tons of stamina potions on you

Can I play this on an Android emulator on my desktop without getting banned? I'd like to post a bunch of screenshots so I know who to mulch for extra feathers, if I can poop out even 2k that way it would at least get reinhardt up to 5*.

rngd in the womb posted:

I'm in the same boat with you. However, I'm up to Chapter 13 on Lunatic. It really just takes a ton of 40s that you can mix together to make optimal teams. I have about 26 40s, which is probably excessive for a new F2P player, but I've been able to put together teams so that I can copy strategies from YouTube and adjust them as needed. The only time that I've ran into a wall was 10-3 (I think) when I needed to do a deathless run for a quest but then I just gave up on my decision to avoid using Light's Blessings.

I haven't touched Squad Assault and Arena Assault yet, though.

Yeah I'm working on just levelling a bunch of assholes for the tempest trial and that let me clear up to the same place you are at. I just did it via powering through with Julia, Ninian, Ike, and Blyn though.

cheetah7071 posted:

You should do the beginner trick in arena assault to at least get a trickle of resources for basically no effort

If you don't know, the beginner trick is that if you deploy a single level 40 unit as your initial team, the matchmaking will always give you a single level 40 enemy as your opponent at beginner difficulty. You can just retry a few times to get a favorable matchup on the first round, then counterpick the remaining six with even a smallish barracks

Well, this is pretty great, that tripled my stupid score from just completing two rounds previously, thanks!

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 22, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Elyv posted:

Squad assault is really hard, but I think it's worth doing one arena assault run every week, even if your first team is a team of all level 25s or a solo level 40 or something. You get feathers/coins/refining stones based on your rank, and that's pretty valuable

I haven't had a single arena defense success this week at tier 4 so uhhh that's how well I'm doing. I was able to go 7 straight on beginner for the other rewards though.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Emalde posted:

I'm in tier 19 and I can count the total number I've ever had on one hand, don't ever really expect to earn any on the regular. If you're thirsty for feathers, you can set your defense team to a solo character and get a couple hundred from 1v1 wins.

I certainly am, so lets see how this pans out with my only fully built character, Blyn.

Andrast posted:

I've gotten 10+ with my dragon team this week, just like every week

I should train all my 4* Atiki's to 40 and put them all in one team on defense. I would totally do this if I wasn't always chronically short on stamina.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Ok who to mulch? And who did I miss that I should be levelling, besides eliwood. Probs need to work on Atiki and Nino.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 22, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

What's the optimal powerlevelling strategy to spend the least stamina going from 1 to 40 right now it's take me my entire stamina pool to get one dude to 40 and that seems way suboptimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Emalde posted:

Guide to warriors maps from last season:

Fantastic