Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I'm just here for the violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
Hey so I've actually been lurking for a really long time because GiP is interesting, funny, and at times sobering. What drives me to make a post is a question to do with the US army; I've read GiP long enough to know how uniquely hosed up everything is, but I've never heard of this. I have a friend in Intel who, upon approaching the end of his term, got forcibly extended for another 6 months. In his own words he had no choice. On one hand I've never heard of this happening (aside from the pilots potentially being called back?) but on the other hand, it's the US army and I 100% believe they'd gently caress a guy who's already suicidally depressed to get another 6 months out of him.

Is my buddy an idiot and could have weaselled out of this or can the military just do that, keep you for an extra few months? Wondering if anyone in army intel or just in the US forces in general has heard of this at all.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
Fair enough. He does important poo poo but, naturally, can't tell anyone about any of it. He's 35S, which I imagine probably comes under 'critical importance' right about now.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

All enlisted idiot contracts are that way. There's no dancing around that 8 year obligation when they call and if they really, really want you.

gently caress me, so he could theoretically be called back for another 4 years for 6 months at a time if he got unlucky enough? Nice. The worst part is that if they call him back once I see no reason they wouldn't do it twice.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

a guy in my unit got stop lossed 5 days before he ETS’d

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

I got forced to stay in for a full extra year/deployment.

That is truly brutal.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
Thought I'd give a small update on my hosed-over buddy, he's getting medically separated in a range from dec-march (apparently). He's been using a CPAP machine so I guess that documentation and all helped him out in the end.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Get your buddy an account here. He's gonna have a bunch of questions when he does get discharged.

I will probably actually do this, the resources are too good for him not to have access to.

• Locked thread