Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

kinda surprised people think we're that interesting

It's been like that for a while. Probably quite a few foreign respected allied IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

redneck nazgul posted:

There's no way in gently caress they're going to get people who A: actually know what the gently caress they're doing, B: will actually have the stomach to join the military, and C: be able to be taken seriously by anyone currently involved in 'cyber'.

Bingo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You had an excellent recruiter.

Also, my dad was an A-10 maintainer until 1990, and a bunch of their forward bases in Europe were being shut down and the community was shrinking. They were offering awesome early retirement deals throughout the 90s. You probably had almost as good a chance at becoming an A-10 pilot as a maintainer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TFR.

I also recommend AI's airplane thread, it's a solid mash of military and civilian stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He is our IK. He always has been, really, but now he has the powers too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Was shim a previous username or something?

Yes.

Woof Blitzer posted:

It's an acronym
Stupid
Homo
Idiot
Motard

Probably also yes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hey, that web is structural!

Edit: AND meets code! :ninja:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Derek Dominoe posted:

Your best name was, by far, "Cisnazi Weedhitler".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:stare:

What just happened?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cock to the Future

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get your citizenship and become an officer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In the Air Force, E-1 and E-2 are rarely seen in the wild. That early, you're promoted very quickly...think of it as positive reenforcement. As long as you're not completely loving up, you make E-2 after six months, then E-3 ten months later. Figure a fair amount of that time is spent in training for your career field, and waiting between different phases of that training. If you did JROTC in high school or have X college credits, you can even skip E-1 or E-2 and graduate basic training as an E-3.

As far as ribbons go, the rule is that if you're going to wear them, you wear all of them that you're authorized. That wasn't always the case, which is why you look at photos of WWII generals and they have 3 or 6 or whatever...they've got more, but the rule wasn't written yet. That said, the US gives away medals and ribbons for goddamned anything, so unless you know which ones actually mean something, don't be fooled. Look for the quality instead of quantity. Hell, I was in for about 8 years and I think my stack is 5 full rows. Only a couple have the slightest tinge of pride associated with earning them. Another Air Force tradition is that if you're wearing blues, only enlisted wear their ribbons on the shirt. It's optional, but for whatever reason enlisted wear them, officers do not. That's shirt only, if you're wearing the full service dress with the jacket, they're mandatory.

Edit: In my time I saw exactly ONE E-1.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: Yeah, only a couple of my medals were actually issued, everything else I had to buy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kick-Puncher posted:

For the air force do you have to wear all your badges along with your ribbons? I am actually in the Air Guard but I transferred over from Army guard and I have no loving clue and I am getting mixed answers.

AFI 36-2903 lays out exactly what's required. It's actually not a blustering clusterfuck of a reg. On the shirt, not all badges are required. Wings are, and a few others are but I can't remember what.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mike-o posted:

Oh look everyone is starting to sperg out about rank and ribbons and stupid bullshit and god drat there are way too many fucks being given about gay military poo poo in here.

It's the lurker thread and a lurker asked questions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reminder that the Air Force is so awful at personnel management that a couple of years ago O-3 promotions were competitive rather than automatic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grover would be equivalent to mod again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^That is accurate.

It sounds like you're enlisted but if you're an officer, don't wear your ribbons on your shirt. It's a weird tradition thing that only enlisted personnel wear ribbons on shirts.

AFI 36-3903 is actually easy to dig into for specific answers. I wouldn't sit down and read it, but save a pdf of it and reference it for that kind of thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

CTN is a field that they were actually talking about starting people at E7 a while back to match civilian pay better. If he actually makes it through school and all its one of the fastest advancing rates and the work has very little navy bullshit to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

Also, that plan will never actually be implemented. They'll continue to contract poo poo out to the most inefficient organization they can find at the lowest bid, which will completely crush any dedicated individual's motivation and efforts to provide actual customer service.

Navy IT is as impotent as r/incel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How old are you, and do you have a college degree?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

It might even be worth just looking on USAjobs.com for a civilian contractor job tbh, then at least you wont have to deal with as much poo poo and you can still escape the private side of things

USAjobs is gov't, not contractor. Good luck getting a contract position that pays without being a vet/having a clearance already.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got you fam

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The well story has been posted in GIP many times.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

28 is the cuttoff for meeting the selection board and you have to start training before 30. The Navy cutoff to start training is 26 I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And another goon drowns in the well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

The only real reason to enlist is if it will improve your life, not gently caress it up.

Billy Bob at the trailer park in Buttfuck, Ky? Go ahead and enlist. Comfy job and family in SF? Hahahaha.

Seriously. Don't. Your life will become a living hell and it won't stop for at least six years. You'll probably be deployed a time or two. You'll waste a weekend a month and probably a month of the year on absolute army related bullshit. And for what, a pittance of a drill paycheck?

The only way he's going "a time or two" is if they're year-long deployments. Less than that, he's going three or four times.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

soy posted:

I have some idea, wife is a fed. Sounds like the dumbest possible system to try and work in.

Wife is a fed what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

soy posted:

probably posting that is a bad idea

Fair enough, I was just trying to figure out if her experience was in any way relevant. Life in the DOD is very different from other departments.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've got the NVGs that came with some stupid expensive version of a COD game. Somewhere.

• Locked thread