Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read this subforum cause I always wanted to do something military related but I am now 34 and I don't want to give up making lots of money as an engineer but uhhh who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“bird food bathtub”" post="“477286464”"]
ur fukin dum if u join, hth
[/quote]

Ya it sounds way too hard anyways, like holy poo poo, if actual companies had this much bullshit to get hired they would have 0 talent.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“Woof Blitzer”" post="“477287720”"]
E N L I S T W I T H A D E G R E E
[/quote]

A what? I'm in tech man nobody has that poo poo.

I guess I can just be satisfied that the poo poo I work in is most likely used by various agencies in the support of dropping bombs on anyone who doesn't love freedom.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phuzzy posted:

what about those who do want to talk about pointless army poo poo

I heard they're thinking of bringing back the ww2 outfits

I could be convinced to join reserves just to get to wear one of those around

As a 34 year old with no degree but like 10+ years of computar work experience, is there any non dumb way I can serve where I get to dress up?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cyber is probably my poo poo, at least I could actually contribute there in a meaningful way. I already have an absurd stack of skills but who knows. I wonder if they recruit reserve officers without degrees from tech, would be kinda smart of them to do so. I doubt that though, websites point to no.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ya upon furthet reflection, every infosec person I’ve ever dealt with has been a complete goof, and all the tech I’ve worked with has been pretty much bloated scam designed to bilk companies out of licensing and professional services fees.

Will look into signals because I am an idiot patriot or something.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Cool.

Be a sport and document your suffering for us to laugh at, k? 'Cause we told you so and it's much, much funnier when the inevitable happens.

Of course, that’ll be half the fun of doing it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redneck nazgul posted:

I don't know how much you're making currently, but you can probably save a fuckton of money on public patriotic masochism by buying a webcam, a stereo with "Proud to be an American", and hiring a chubby dominatrix to kick you in the balls on a monthly basis.

I’d be going reserve or something not giving up my salary lol. I couldn’t even, my family would starve. I live in the sf bay area, shits expensive.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You should definitely sign up and regularly mention how you should be an officer because of your computer skills. That way when you're cleaning poo poo everyone will be distracted from the misery of their existence by focusing on how loving stupid you are.

ya upon even further reflection I realized gently caress all that

I'll just watch the apocalypse on TV

Pesticide20 posted:

Today the dragon is mostly a powerpoint series about the dragon as a metaphor for sexual assault

lol I think this has to be the biggest turn off about being in military

powerpoint, microsoft windows loving everywhere

I'm sure all their IT is like vmware, active directory, microsoft sql

I know/work with a bunch of ex nasa folks and even NASA sounds awful I'm sure the military is like that only if you try to change anything you get shot

I do like that they use mIRC for command and control though, that sounds kewl

soy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 14, 2017

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have some idea, wife is a fed. Sounds like the dumbest possible system to try and work in.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Wife is a fed what?

probably posting that is a bad idea

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

It's not really a working environment, it's a lifestyle that requires time to adapt. The military will take up every waking hour of your day at some point and you'll think back like "why the gently caress did I do this again?" It'll start with boot and you'll be all hooah about boot and secondary school. But then some point during your reserve obligation, probably rather early, your unit is going to catch orders and you get to go on a paid vacation in a warzone.

Mind you, there's imminent danger pay, and you're not taxed while serving in theater, but you're only stacking that on E4 pay. So you're probably gonna gross pretty alright for feeding a family in Assfuck, Arkansas, not California, but that's only really while you're deployed. But who cares, right? Employers can't legally fire you with standing military orders. And that year you were gone playing on SIPR is only going to roll you back on any advances that have come out while you were deployed. And your company can always find a loophole to cut you loose (downsizing due to blah).

I'll leave the imagination to run with what you think might happen to any relationships you have if you do join, and how it will change them. Positive experiences seem to be rare, and that's because they are, so make sure you follow the darkest rabbit holes your mind can conjure. If your wife has a male friend named Jody, it's already doomed.

So I'll stand by my statement that if you're not joining the military to better your position in life (like Billy Bob in the trailer park), you're making a poor decision. But it's your choice so let us all know.

Someone post the shim rant about intel officers or whatever.

good post

yea I'm not going to enlist, don't worry goons. The more I think about how it must be where my idiot bosses are still idiots except they get to dress up and make me salute them just sounds like the dumbest thing possible

I'll just LARP as jack reacher instead and if I see anyone I can throw off a roof to save murica I'll do that

Is there some way I can get Jody to take my wife though and get a favorable divorce terms out of it though? TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TCD posted:

From talking with others, even overseas, it really does vary by Dept and Agency.

Ya I've read countless books, listened to podcasts, etc... Covering people from various branches and periods of history and it does seem like it really varies.

Special operations and combat pilot type stuff are the only roles I can say that really sound like they'd be really something I could sink my teeth into. That said, I'm probably too old and missed the whole college/ROTC train by 15 years so that's probably not an option. Maybe in the next life.

I'll probably just take my free time and finish my degree or something, maybe can explore internships in defense/aviation.

• Locked thread