Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Woof Blitzer posted:

Pri'te
Sarnt
Massersarnt
El tee
Capn

*gets smoked to poo poo*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well look at it this way. If your response to an overwhelming number of people saying, "don't do this thing." is basically "wooooo, I'm gonna do the thing!" then you'll fit in just fine with enlisted.

What this says about that environment is something I request you post about constantly in here as you slowly begin to grasp all the implications. This way we can enjoy it at your expense.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

soy posted:

I read this subforum cause I always wanted to do something military related but I am now 34 and I don't want to give up making lots of money as an engineer but uhhh who knows.

ur fukin dum if u join, hth

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

soy posted:

Ya upon furthet reflection, every infosec person I’ve ever dealt with has been a complete goof, and all the tech I’ve worked with has been pretty much bloated scam designed to bilk companies out of licensing and professional services fees.

Will look into signals because I am an idiot patriot or something.

Cool.

Be a sport and document your suffering for us to laugh at, k? 'Cause we told you so and it's much, much funnier when the inevitable happens.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's not terribly unusual, I guess aside from the timing? Thought it was getting less common lately. If he's in a critical rated MOS it's part of the deal. Happened ALL THE loving TIME few years back. You might remember the phrase "stop loss"?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Do The Evolution posted:

Fair enough. He does important poo poo but, naturally, can't tell anyone about any of it. He's 35S, which I imagine probably comes under 'critical importance' right about now.

Haha, bleeps and squeaks. Sucker.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Many good ideas so far on the shamming emergency reactions. I maintain that good planning is superior. If you never have to pull an emergency sham in the first place you're better off.

Working with comms gear was great for this. 'Don't step into this area that I've placed the safety cones around (where I will be "working" for the next six hours) or your sperm will be all retarded because we're RADIATING SIGNAL' is a really good myth to spread to the ignorant masses so they never even want to come talk to you in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arc Light posted:

I had already been assigned to bay orderly detail for the week. Dunno if that exists in the Army/Navy/Marines, but in the Air Force it means that you do all the cleanup bitchwork in the dorms/barracks. No way to pretend I was already tasked with something worse. I had the most seniority of all the E3s assigned that week, so I chose to fall on my sword instead of making one of them do it. I'm still salty about it almost a decade later.

Fuuuuuuck that. When you demonstrate that you're good at your job, you get the privilege of doing other peoples' jobs, too.

BFT, CPOF, FalconView, and all the other bullshit geo trackers are the devil. Adding zone/building identifiers is a special sort of hell.

ArcGIS.

Someone, somewhere, should take a kick to the balls every hour on the hour for years as penance for bringing that accursed program into being.

• Locked thread