Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Sweet banners and stuff by Tyrel himself, aka SaltMonsterDeluxe

Chrono Trigger is an indie rpg developed by a small team in the 90's for the Super Nintendo. You've probably never heard of it. Released in March 1995 in Japan then later in August in North America, it was met with pretty much universal acclaim and it's still beloved by many today. Like Earthbound and Final Fantasy insert number here, some people go absolutely ga- ga over it, but unlike those games it doesn't really have any annoyingly dated parts to it like long load screens, too many random battles, or grinding. Sure it has a pretty silly time travel plot but it manages to be endearing instead of cringy. Finding things that are flat out bad in this game is difficult, at least for me. I mean poo poo, it has seemless transitions from exploration to its combat system, cool dual and triple techs that are barely ever done in other games and when they are they're not nearly as flashy or filled with as much personality, a great soundtrack and holy gently caress man. It's one of the few games that kinda deserves its ridiculous praise, and oh boy do I have some nerd words to say about it.

Why we're playing it:

Besides my love for the game that I couldn't hold back for more than like five sentences, it's mainly my good friend Tyrel. Tyrel likes games but he's mostly just played Minecraft, Gran Turismo, and Animal Crossing. He's never even played a Zelda game. We play a lot of silly co- op games lately but he expressed interest in playing some classics as well. I thought it might be interesting to see his take on seeing chrono trigger for the first time as someone who hasn't played much if any fantasy stuff. I haven't played it in forever so for me it's about rediscovering some stuff I had forgotten, like how the npcs are all delightfully dickish. I also know a few other people who are fairly hardcore gamers and never played or really heard of Chrono Trigger, so hopefully this will be a good showing for those that haven't played and maybe a new perspective or just a fun refresher for those that have. Basically CT is a great starting point for anyone who has never played or understood why people like jrpgs, and I thought it would be a good starting point for Tyrel and our first LP of a classic. Eventually I'll even get into some criticisms (mods??????) of the game that I have. Spoilers, it's not many.

After 40 years of research, experts theorize that this is what you might see if you were to lick Frog

About the LP:

This will be a live vlp since I mostly know where to go maybe, and I can see Tyrel's reactions to things. Don't worry though, if I supremely gently caress up and die to a boss or get lost I'll just cut it out using the power of editing. That would never happen though. Surely. Also in the spirit of chillness and because I don't like being penalized for having to scroll through menus, I'm playing on wait mode. I'm willing to start over and switch to active if it bothers enough people though, as the game isn't as long as a lot of people remember. It's gonna be a combination of informative and casual. Knowing us, more toward casual eventually. We've known each other forever so we like to shoot the poo poo sometimes, but I also know the game pretty well. We like to play save point to save point and keep our videos under thirty minutes so they're not super long, so some of the videos might stop kind of randomly. We'll be playing on SNES because we kinda like that authentic feeling of playing the game on its system. As for an upload schedule, we're shooting for two a week to be uploaded end of the weekish, Wednesday Thursday or Friday when we have time in this crazy thing called life. This is our first SUPER SERIOUS LP for our channel Buried in Wires, which I'm not sure about the name of yet but accurately describes how I felt when we first started LPing.

Spoiler policy:

I know it's a twenty year old game but Tyrel just bought an account and will probably lurk this thread, and I really don't want to spoil him. I actually think that even the plot holds up today, with some legit surprising and exciting turns, and I wouldn't want to ruin that for even one or two people. I guess you can talk about stuff that's in the near future but please be careful.

Why do you guys call each other dude. What are you, fifteen?

I mean yeah basically

Part 1 - A Pokemon Ripoff
Part 2 - Teleporter Trippin'
Part 3 - Moonwalkin' in church
Part 4 - Lethal Anime Hair
Part 5 - No Justice
Part 6 - Cron Goku's Great Escape
Part 7 - Robot Dystopia Mega Deluxe Time
Part 8 - Craterland, U.S.A.
Part 9 - Very Important Robots
Part 10 - Enter the Fuzzball
Part 11 - Get Flame Tossed
Part 12 - Hangin' With My Robro
Part 13 - Getting Hammered with Toma
Part 14 - Mountains're Nice
Part 15 - Weird Mountain Children
Part 16 - Prehistoric Stanky Leg
Part 17 - Tricks of the Trade
Part 18 - Frog Fractions
Part 19 - Cadaver Pals
Part 20 - The Ozzman Trapeth
Part 21 - Manchild Wizard Showdown
Part 22 - Reptite Rampage
Part 23 - Get Extinct
Part 24 - Secret Secrets
Part 25 - Plants're Nice
Part 26 - King Treemeister
Part 27 - Treasure Emotions
Part 28 - Algetty Food Coma
Part 29 - It's Time for Triple Techs
Part 30 - Unfortunate References
Part 31 - Noggin' Crushin' in the Ocean Palace
Part 32 - Evil Queens and Hellevators
Part 33 - Things Are Not Okay
Part 34 - Escape From Vent Plane
Part 35 - Norstein Bekkler is the Worst
Part 36 - Dubbutt
Part 37 - Toma's Magic "Soda"
Part 38 - Russ Tyrano
Part 39 - Murdered Into a Star
Part 40 - The Jerky of Time
Part 41 - Ruining Ghosts in the Northern Ruins
Part 42 - The Ozzman Returneth
Part 43 - The Mystery of the Slappy Lightning
Part 44 - Robrocalypse Now
Part 45 - Pride and Fidget Spinners
Part 46 - Black Omen Band Chat
Part 47 - Extras, Easter Eggs, Nightmare Kevin Costner
Part 48 - Filler Episode
Part 49 - Video Game Memories
Part 50 - The Final Gauntlet
Finale - Time Bros Forever

Bonus videos and poo poo

All Final Boss Dialogue

Just wanted to say also respect to all the previous archived Chrono Trigger LPs, especially Blind Sally's which I just started reading and is already cracking my poo poo up

Ultra Spoot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Part 1: Betting in the race is done by talking to the guy in the right tent, the old dude just gives useless hints. You can rest for free in your house, so you didnt need to worry about having money for the inn.
Part 2: You can save anywhere on the world map.

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Ultra Spoot posted:

I know it's a twenty year old game but Tyrel just bought an account and will probably lurk this thread, and I really don't want to spoil him.

That's me. When this game came out I was living under a rock as far as video games go, spending all my time on Super Mario Kart and begging my dad to rent me Uniracers from Blockbuster. Also Super Tennis and Stanley Cup Hockey. I really haven't seen or heard anything about Chrono Trigger in my 28 years so I'm excited to open up this time capsule and see what's in store. It's like catching up on a period of my life I missed out on. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I'm going to.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

Part 2: You can save anywhere on the world map.

Oh my god. How did I not know this. This changes everything, thank you.

I was also wrong about stamina, it actually affects your character's defense, not hp. I think I had everything else right though. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or elaborate on things, I know a good amount about the game but there's probably some more little details that I've forgotten and have to relearn.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 3 - Moonwalkin' in church

In this video we explore the rest of the castle and check out what's up with the queen, then eventually move into our first dungeon. As whitehelm pointed out, I completely forgot that you can just save on the worldmap, which I feel dumb about. It doesn't really affect anything here as I wanted to upgrade my armor anyway, but I do talk about it a little bit, so, just ignore that I guess!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

A bromide in Japan is basically a commercially sold photo of a celebrity, so the Naga-ette bromide is a photo of a snake woman that....they're hiding inside a drawer. :japan:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

A bromide in Japan is basically a commercially sold photo of a celebrity, so the Naga-ette bromide is a photo of a snake woman that....they're hiding inside a drawer. :japan:

Ok that makes sense, and is an... interesting easter egg to add!!! At least I think it's an easter egg? It seems like the type of thing they wouldn't expect you to find on your first playthrough, but I was always the type to mash a on everything so I would always grab it and not think much of it. I know where to use it later as well, which I'm sure will lead to a not awkward or creepy at all conversation with an npc!

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

In this update we talk about how much we like the character animations again and then we continue our way through Snake Church. Then the plot of Chrono Trigger completely makes my brain shut down, even though it's not even that complicated yet, and I had just explained it to Tyrel right before recording this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ultra Spoot posted:

Ok that makes sense, and is an... interesting easter egg to add!!! At least I think it's an easter egg? It seems like the type of thing they wouldn't expect you to find on your first playthrough, but I was always the type to mash a on everything so I would always grab it and not think much of it. I know where to use it later as well, which I'm sure will lead to a not awkward or creepy at all conversation with an npc!

All you get for finding it is a free consumable (a tab, I think?) so finding it is a nice bonus, but missing it doesn't really detract from anything.

Chrono Trigger is an ingeniously well-designed game so that sort of thing - great if you find it, no big deal if you don't - is par for the course.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

All you get for finding it is a free consumable (a tab, I think?) so finding it is a nice bonus, but missing it doesn't really detract from anything.

Chrono Trigger is an ingeniously well-designed game so that sort of thing - great if you find it, no big deal if you don't - is par for the course.

I wanna say it's a magic tab off the top of my head, but yeah a tab of some kind. True story, back like 14 years ago when I used to lurk on gamefaqs I noticed nobody knew what the bromide did and I thought I figured out some big undiscovered secret or something. I wrote up an actual guide on it and submitted it. I was so proud of my extremely long- winded and roundabout guide about an item that didn't even matter really. Needless to say they didn't approve it. But I'm not disappointed or anything haha, I'm over it.... :cry:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

In this update we talk about how much we like the character animations again and then we continue our way through Snake Church. Then the plot of Chrono Trigger completely makes my brain shut down, even though it's not even that complicated yet, and I had just explained it to Tyrel right before recording this.

The whole reason history changed is because the soldiers stop looking for the queen after Marle is found, so obviously they were the ones who rescued her from Yakra. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Frog solo'd the rescue mission originally.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

The whole reason history changed is because the soldiers stop looking for the queen after Marle is found, so obviously they were the ones who rescued her from Yakra. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Frog solo'd the rescue mission originally.

Yeah sorry about that, I guess I just never thought it through. I think I just love the idea of Frog barging in the place and kicking some rear end so much that I made it true in my head. You're right, it's because the soldiers were called off. I'm not the sharpest sometimes (all the time). I maintain that he COULD do so if he wanted to though. I mean he does start with a healing move

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 5 - No Justice

In this video Tyrel loses all patience for let's playing and life in general and goes loving HAM on the Guardia justice system. Even though his language is harsh, I can't say I disagree with him. Also we bumble around for a minute looking for a save point. Our bad. We found out you can save on the world map after this video, so it won't happen again. There are actually a few other things that affect the trial that I never quite knew the specifics of, so here's how to get a not guilty verdict:

1. Bring the cat to the girl
2. Do NOT eat the old guy's lunch
3. Talk to Marle BEFORE you grab the pendant
4. Let Melchior see the pendant but say no when he tries to buy it
5. Wait when Marle buys the candy

And during the trial:

1. DON'T do what I did, say Crono bumped into her. Oops.
2. Tell them you weren't tempted by the pendant

If you do all that you can get all 7 jurors to find you not guilty, and then you get seven ethers instead of the one mid- ether.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 6- Cron Goku's Great Escape

In this update we knock out some dudes wearing full armor head to toe with a single bonk because Crono is just that good. God I love video games. Sometimes our friend Jenny hangs out with us before we record and I thank her for hanging out and making fun of Tyrel with me to start the video. I'm still going to show off what happens if you stay in your cell but I kinda forgot about it during this session so it will be in a future video.

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Ultra Spoot posted:

Sometimes our friend Jenny hangs out with us before we record and I thank her for hanging out and making fun of Tyrel with me to start the video.

Jenny's my girlfriend and she'll probably make more appearances as we go on maybe. Also I'm sick pretty much all the time so sorry about the coughs and sneezes. I keep Spoot man busy with editing out my involuntary bodily functions.

God we're so professional

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The soldiers would've come back if you had gone a little bit farther left through the forest at 26:30. You can't get to another exit.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

The soldiers would've come back if you had gone a little bit farther left through the forest at 26:30. You can't get to another exit.

I thought so! I didn't wanna risk wasting time though if I was wrong. It's the downside of doing live commentary

Kangra
May 7, 2012

'decedent' is just a word for a dead person, as in someone who is deceased. Although it's typically only used in a legal context (like, someone dies and you need to fill out a form to reclaim their property somewhere, there might be a form with a label 'decedent' where you fill in their name). So it's weird to have it be used for skeletons - I guess because they're in a prison?

I have no prior knowledge of this game myself, and I'm glad to see this since I'm not much of a JRPG fan but I'm interested, because I just read an LP of I Am Setsuna on this forum (by DarkID, it just finished about a week ago now).

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

That's interesting! I don't think I've ever heard the word before and some older jrpgs have a penchant for spelling errors/ mistranslations, etc. so we just assumed it was a mistake. Chrono Trigger is pretty great with that stuff though as far as I can remember, really good translation all around.

As for that thread yeah people seem to really like it, I've been avoiding it myself because I kinda wanna play the game unspoiled eventually, it seems like it was a great thread though. I can't blame anyone for not liking jrpgs, especially some of the older ones. A lot of them have overly silly or convoluted plots, are overly long, and of course the random battles and grinding. Chrono Trigger skirts that by having set battles instead that all feel like their own little setpieces. It makes you wanna keep playing to see what it's gonna throw at you next. It's probably the game that made me want to play other jrpgs. And luckily snes had some great ones! I started by playing mario rpg, earthbound and lufia 2, all games where you can see the enemies on screen before you fight them, so I've always liked that approach more. I feel like most of that era of rpgs have aged well whereas the ps1 rpgs haven't because of annoying load times for every tiny thing you do and the really dated visuals. That said I remember really enjoying ffVI, VII and IX. I actually just bought IX on steam cause I'm interested to see how it aged. Basically sometimes I think it just comes down to liking the characters, story or world enough to want to keep playing through the repetitive mechanics.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This was a nice thing to find when I'm frazzled from lack of proper sleep :allears:

Wait mode is fine, unless you develop a habit of spending a full minute on every attack trying to find that perfect moment hit as many enemies as possible with a line attack (That I totally do myself). But since enemy positions actually matter in this unlike most early Final Fantasies, Wait mode in general is much more understandable as a preference.

I dream of that wondrous day when all ATB and Active Vs Wait" style games just let you toggle Active Vs wait on the fly. Especially if there are notable gameplay difference outside of waiting around or not (Lookin at you, FF15).

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

I know what you mean, it can be tempting to get the attacks perfect. Like I said in one of the videos I think, most of the encounters aren't too bad, at least in this part of the game. Later on it might get interesting, but a lot of times it can be faster to just mash attack on enemies instead of lining up techs imo, especially cause crono is a loving crit MASTER(that's my rap name, please don't steal it).

I would love to just be able to toggle it between wait/ active. I always love when rpgs add convenience stuff like that. It's one of the few things I liked about Bravely Default, being able to turn your encounter rate up and down. But yeah eventually we're gonna have a ton of items in our inventory and being timed on scrolling through them always kinda bothered me in these types of games. I say that as someone who loves dark souls though where scrolling through menus in a fight is a death sentence, so what do I know

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God please tell me that title is a reference to MS Paint Chrono Trigger. I will love the lot of you forever if it is :allears:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

God please tell me that title is a reference to MS Paint Chrono Trigger. I will love the lot of you forever if it is :allears:

Lol it was mostly just a reference to how Crono looks like Goku but I did just read through like a third of that LP so it might as well be

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 7 - Robot Dystopia Mega Deluxe Time

The game takes an interesting turn in this video as we try to travel through mutant town. Unfortunately for some reason my mic cut out at the 14:45 mark and then just started working again around 15:30 so I was forced to bring up the audio on Tyrel's mic for that section. Anyone know why my blue yeti would be doing that? It's the second time it's done it now, same amount of time about both times. Anyway sorry about that, hopefully it's not too distracting.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In truth, I actually do like the sprawling and often convoluted stories you get in JRPGs, and some of the characters are good. So far this game has a lot of charm in the characters and story, and I like that. I'm less a fan of the fighting mechanics, and the usual stat-tweaking progression as you acquire gear/develop experience. So watching an LP is preferable for me.

In short, I'm glad you're doing this, since Chrono Trigger seems to be one of those frequently referenced by people, but not often shown off. It's often assumed that most people are really familiar with everything in it.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Kangra posted:

In truth, I actually do like the sprawling and often convoluted stories you get in JRPGs, and some of the characters are good. So far this game has a lot of charm in the characters and story, and I like that. I'm less a fan of the fighting mechanics, and the usual stat-tweaking progression as you acquire gear/develop experience. So watching an LP is preferable for me.

In short, I'm glad you're doing this, since Chrono Trigger seems to be one of those frequently referenced by people, but not often shown off. It's often assumed that most people are really familiar with everything in it.

Agreed, sometimes sprawling jrpg stories can be pretty entertaining in how crazy they are, which is one of the reasons I remember liking shadow hearts and some others I can't remember right now. They can be impossible to predict sometimes. The story was the main reason I grinded it out and finished xenoblade chronicles as well.

But yeah as far as Chrono Trigger's gameplay goes it does have kind of a "baby's first rpg" feeling to it, which is why I say it's a great game to start with if you've never played jrpgs really. There are some decently tough bosses later on though, and as you learn more dual techs it does get more interesting. But even though it's fairly easy, the important thing is that it's still fun to me. Sometimes it's fun to just play a straightforward rpg without a ton of convoluted mechanics to learn and a hundred hours just to see the ending. I used to not mind that but I just don't have the patience anymore to put tons of hours into a game unless the gameplay or story is drat good

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 8 - Craterland, U.S.A.

In this update the chill playthrough becomes decidedly less chill when we find the info center. Also TYREL DOESN'T CARE ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING :frogsiren:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Surprise, it's The Plot!

I appreciate the Megaman Cartoon theme references :downs:

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

We've been singing that song since smash 4 came out, we can't stop, please send help

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Ultra Spoot posted:

TYREL DOESN'T CARE ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING :frogsiren:
SLANDER

Just want to clarify for the record that I do, in fact, care about mother earth at least to some degree

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 9 - Very Important Robots

We return with a slightly longer update so that I can show off the other prison path. SUCK IT JOHNNY

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Mode 7 games are great. Battle Cars comes to mind... also I think the minecart thing in Super Mario RPG?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Mode 7 gimmick was used in many SNES classics, often just as a map (Link to the Past, FF VI) or minigame. I believe that certain animations (memorably in the Bowser fight) in Super Mario World used it as well.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Moxie posted:

Mode 7 gimmick was used in many SNES classics, often just as a map (Link to the Past, FF VI) or minigame. I believe that certain animations (memorably in the Bowser fight) in Super Mario World used it as well.

Whoa the bowser fight snuck it in there? drat, I never knew. Unfortunately for this section it does come off as very gimmicky to me, in a "OH MAN CHECK OUT THESE MINDBLOWING GRAPHICS" kinda way, but it's pretty short and Johnny is the man so i let it slide. The race is actually a LOT shorter than I remember. When I first played this I think I kept messing it up and having to replay it a few times which is probably why I'm not a fan. Luckily we breezed through it though thanks to my incredible gaming skills

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 10 - Enter the Fuzzball

In this video we make our way through the rest of the factory and get attacked by horrible sentient acid. Then during a very touching and human moment we get distracted by a cat, which I feel is probably a recurring event in Tyrel's life.

I lost my train of thought in the video but then hearing it back I realized I said what I wanted to say in our lead- in to the video that we sometimes cut out, so I left it in. Sorry if we sometimes have long lead- ins, if we say something about the game I usually like to leave it in even though I may not be progressing

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Slash was effective against the Acids because it was your only Lightning elemental move. The game does not make this clear at all, and I assumed it was physical for many years. Maybe the first clue is the Dragon Tank manual alluding to Lightning resistance. I believe it's also the only Tech with its damage zone, an infinite line from the user intersecting any target. It's still underwhelming overall due to Crono's magic stat. You could, however, have used it to destroy the Shadows in the 2300AD ruins.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Aaaaaah ok. All my playthroughs of this game and I still don't think I ever figured out it was a lightning move! I can't believe I'm still learning little details about the game. I kinda like that it's not required to know though. That's Chrono Trigger's style, you don't have to figure out every detail of the battle system as much as you just really have to be thinking fast and paying attention to what your enemy is doing. It feels more visceral than a lot of other rpgs of the time I think.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 11 - Get Flame Tossed

In this video Fuzzball Mcgee gives us a bit of a surprise, and Tyrel delivers his one fart noise per playthrough that he demanded be in his let's play contract. Oh and we rain magic death on some stuff

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If Tyrel loves Gran Turismo, what are their thoughts on another game "From the creators of Gran Turismo" as the back of the box loved to advertise.

It would even be semi topical, Omega Boost has time travel in it's plot :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

I forgot to ask, before our next recording session, does anyone know if I should check out 65,000,000 BC? It's not part of the story right now and I can't remember if there's anything interesting there at this point. Lemme know if there's anything cool there I should check out, or if anyone wants me to show it off anyway.

Oh and Tyrel hasn't checked the thread for a couple days but he should answer your question pretty soon Section Z

• Locked thread