Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Ultra Spoot posted:

I forgot to ask, before our next recording session, does anyone know if I should check out 65,000,000 BC? It's not part of the story right now and I can't remember if there's anything interesting there at this point. Lemme know if there's anything cool there I should check out, or if anyone wants me to show it off anyway.

I'm pretty sure those dinosaurs on the road to to world map out of the area the gate dumps you in will kinda kick your rear end right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I'm pretty sure those dinosaurs on the road to to world map out of the area the gate dumps you in will kinda kick your rear end right now.

Actually believe it or not in one of our upcoming videos I scoped it out cause I thought the same thing and I made it out to the world map pretty easily. I turned around though because I wasn't sure if there was anything to really do there at this point in the game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ultra Spoot posted:

I forgot to ask, before our next recording session, does anyone know if I should check out 65,000,000 BC? It's not part of the story right now and I can't remember if there's anything interesting there at this point. Lemme know if there's anything cool there I should check out, or if anyone wants me to show it off anyway.

Oh and Tyrel hasn't checked the thread for a couple days but he should answer your question pretty soon Section Z

I admit most of my LP thread commentary aimed at the OPs doesn't generally expect an answer :v:

Also I just really like Omega Boost despite not being all that hot at it beyond "There, I beat the standard game mode! (eventually)". Limited continues were A Thing.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Ultra Spoot posted:

Actually believe it or not in one of our upcoming videos I scoped it out cause I thought the same thing and I made it out to the world map pretty easily. I turned around though because I wasn't sure if there was anything to really do there at this point in the game

Well color me stupid. Neat.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Section Z posted:

I admit most of my LP thread commentary aimed at the OPs doesn't generally expect an answer :v:

Also I just really like Omega Boost despite not being all that hot at it beyond "There, I beat the standard game mode! (eventually)". Limited continues were A Thing.

Oh as long as the thread isn't moving super fast I'll always try to respond to people, Ty's been pretty busy lately though so can't say the same for him. I've never heard of the game myself but the name alone makes it sound pretty sweet

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Well color me stupid. Neat.

You're not alone, I went there cause I remembered the game giving you some kind of "don't go here yet" sign and was very surprised when it didn't.

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Section Z posted:

If Tyrel loves Gran Turismo, what are their thoughts on another game "From the creators of Gran Turismo" as the back of the box loved to advertise.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never played the first Gran Turismo (me thinks it's time to rectify that) but if you're talking about Omega Boost, from what little I've read about it, seems to be a cult hit.

I played Gran Turismo 2-4 in depth along with Forza Motorsport 2-4 not to mention many Need For Speed games. Love me some race car games. We may be doing a race car game thread soon... perhaps some battles on the Wangan...

SaltMonsterDeluxe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 25, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ultra Spoot posted:

Oh as long as the thread isn't moving super fast I'll always try to respond to people, Ty's been pretty busy lately though so can't say the same for him. I've never heard of the game myself but the name alone makes it sound pretty sweet

SaltMonsterDeluxe posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've never played the first Gran Turismo (me thinks it's time to rectify that) but if you're talking about Omega Boost, from what little I've read about it, seems to be a cult hit.
This is probably the most normal level in the game. Since it's not taking place in Space, science tunnels, or robot planets with bio monsters and giant motorcycles that split into a pair of giant robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6whHZGRTtIY

One of the small mercy touches of the game that blew my mind back then (and far too many "Indie retro style" games ignore), is that your gun conveniently does a long burst fire every time you hit the button (Hey how come I never finished Rex Rocket-oh christ my hand). Along with the realization that it's not a joke weapon, so I only spent 3/4 the time using sweet homing lasers instead of 99% of the time.

The biggest problem I'd have to say the game would have for people trying it out for the first time, is the "limited continues, play it in one sitting" situation making up for it's overall short length (There are extra side stages complete with space harrier references, but the main game is 8 short stages long). So while fun to watch, a thread OP of it would essentially be "Here is my successful playthrough! Stay tuned for bonus stages!"

The live action acting spliced into the opening cutscene meanwhile, has aged perfectly :colbert: This has been off topic as hell, but hey you're fun to watch playing a fun game. So it beats seeing more empty space between your updates while I remember gently caress all about the fine details of the game I haven't played in probably a decade :corsair:

I played a tiny bit of Gran Turismo #??? and quit in shame

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 25, 2017

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

Oh and Tyrel hasn't checked the thread for a couple days but he should answer your question pretty soon Section Z

You can open a chest for an early Meso Mail if you head to the Dactyl Nest at the top. It's not exactly "interesting" but if you want an armor upgrade it's there.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Section Z posted:

This is probably the most normal level in the game. Since it's not taking place in Space, science tunnels, or robot planets with bio monsters and giant motorcycles that split into a pair of giant robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6whHZGRTtIY

Oh I figured it was a futuristic racing game like f- zero or extreme g racing, wasn't expecting battle mechs. I would have absolutely been down for that game had I played it when it came out. Clearly nothing is as xtreme as Xtreme Johnny racing though

whitehelm posted:

You can open a chest for an early Meso Mail if you head to the Dactyl Nest at the top. It's not exactly "interesting" but if you want an armor upgrade it's there.

Thanks. I'm surprised the dactyl nest is also open at this point. Maybe I'll hold off on going there though, I feel like I'd be overleveled and/ or way too powerful if I snagged that

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Ultra Spoot posted:

Thanks. I'm surprised the dactyl nest is also open at this point. Maybe I'll hold off on going there though, I feel like I'd be overleveled and/ or way too powerful if I snagged that

Using Rage Band is a way bigger boost. You're pretty much a tiny god once Crono wears that.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 12 - Hangin' With My Robro

In this update we learn that there ain't no time like the present.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 13 - Getting Hammered with Toma

In this update we cross a bridge. So Tyrel and I were geared up to have a nice long Chrono Trigger session when my pc just turned off randomly and we lost a bunch of footage. I think my power cord for my pc is wonky cause it's happened a few times before. Then, I poo poo you not, I went to load the backup save and play back to that part and the backup file was gone. Like, only the backup, my endgame save and the normal save were still there. I was excited to maybe have a more frequent upload schedule but the gods of let's play won't have it. I mean it's not too bad I guess, it's not like we lost a 200 hour elder scrolls save or something. Anyway we should still be doing the 2 a week thing, just gotta play back to where we are in the game. Just wanted to give a boring update on where we're at.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Sucks you lost the footage, and the save. Hope playing back to this point isn't too much of a chore.

I've never actually managed to get very far in Chrono Trigger; I only remember up to the dragon tank fight from my original playthrough, and every time I've tried it after that I get distracted or something before I even make it that far. Kinda looking forward to seeing the rest of the game at this point.

My one complaint about it thus far is, it seems like physical attacks (with anyone but Crono at least) kind of become useless after you get magic. Like in this last video, everything you used the Attack command on just kind of shrugged it off without any significant damage.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

Sucks you lost the footage, and the save. Hope playing back to this point isn't too much of a chore.

I've never actually managed to get very far in Chrono Trigger; I only remember up to the dragon tank fight from my original playthrough, and every time I've tried it after that I get distracted or something before I even make it that far. Kinda looking forward to seeing the rest of the game at this point.

My one complaint about it thus far is, it seems like physical attacks (with anyone but Crono at least) kind of become useless after you get magic. Like in this last video, everything you used the Attack command on just kind of shrugged it off without any significant damage.

Normal physical attacks are pretty viable throughout the game with Crono, Frog, and a couple yet-to-be-seen characters. Marle and Lucca both just suck at attacking in general.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

KieranWalker posted:

Oh don't worry, I would say this part of the game is still part of the magic tutorial. You would think that it would end after Heckran Cave but really it's Heckran Cave AND Zenan Bridge. Heckran forces you to use magic and just mess around with it, but the skeletons on Zenan Bridge actually introduce resistances, culminating with the Zombor fight. I don't think I clarified it in the video but Zombor introduces the concept of multiple enemies with different resistances in a single fight. His groinal region absorbs ice but his top half absorbs fire, and he's also vulnerable to physical attacks, which you wouldn't expect when the skeletons before him are brick walls. Basically I think it's a cool way of telling you, "hey, expect to see more of this down the road," while also teaching you to expect the unexpected. In short, we'll start seeing enemies vulnerable to physical again from here on out. I guess I could have just said that from the start, but drat I love the Zombor fight

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

If you hit Ozzie 3 times during a skeleton fight he runs away early and any skeletons left get auto-killed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ugh, the LP curse returns for revenge. Really sucks, so I'm glad at least in this case you didn't have to redo too much off screen.

Also. Get's drained of all their MP at the end of a boss fight.
"We'll never run out of mp!"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Section Z posted:

Well, when it counts. You have to try reasonably hard to run out of MP in the early game mid-combat or with enemies between you and any savepoints.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

If you hit Ozzie 3 times during a skeleton fight he runs away early and any skeletons left get auto-killed.

Another thing I never knew! I always thought he was just invincible until you beat the skeletons. Once again I've been schooled on Chrono Trigger by whitehelm.

Section Z posted:

Ugh, the LP curse returns for revenge. Really sucks, so I'm glad at least in this case you didn't have to redo too much off screen.

Lol, we are not the brightest sometimes. Arguably ever! I believe the mp buster move is what Zombor uses when you destroy his top half. So if you go for that first it can make life a little tougher but like I said he's vulnerable to physical attacks so it's just an annoyance really.

Also I caught a cold and decided the only cure was grinding out some Chrono Trigger, so we're back in business

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Speed is king in this game. Robo and Lucca are basically crippled by it. Unlike the other stats Speed maxes out at 16 so those 2 points from Taban Vest are all but crucial.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Moxie posted:

Speed is king in this game. Robo and Lucca are basically crippled by it. Unlike the other stats Speed maxes out at 16 so those 2 points from Taban Vest are all but crucial.

Yeah it's pretty much true, but I used to use Robo for the whole game and not have too much trouble. I feel like for him his bigger health pool and healing moves kinda make up for his speed? Also I gave him a speed tab so that should help a bit. For Lucca I'll absolutely agree, but I dunno, it always seemed like you can kinda use whichever characters you want and get by, save for a few rough bosses later on.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Ultra Spoot posted:

Yeah it's pretty much true, but I used to use Robo for the whole game and not have too much trouble. I feel like for him his bigger health pool and healing moves kinda make up for his speed? Also I gave him a speed tab so that should help a bit. For Lucca I'll absolutely agree, but I dunno, it always seemed like you can kinda use whichever characters you want and get by, save for a few rough bosses later on.

Cripple is hyperbole, they're both great and the better word to describe their speed would be balanced.

Not balanced: Crono

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Moxie posted:

Cripple is hyperbole, they're both great and the better word to describe their speed would be balanced.

Not balanced: Crono

Oh ok, I gotcha. Crono is an unstoppable machine of anime war that runs only off of monster blood and a love of fighting for his friends. Oh, and sometimes gross prison drinks.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 14 - Mountains're Nice

We're back to climb a motherfucking mountain. I'm so excited I could just fire sword a snake

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 15 - Weird Mountain Children

In this update we find the secret of the Denadoro mountains and talk about Dragonball a lot. Actually, fair warning, the last five minutes of the video is just us talking about Dragonball and nothing else, in case you don't care about DBZ. At least it's semi- related!

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Ultra Spoot posted:

In this update we find the secret of the Denadoro mountains and talk about Dragonball a lot. Actually, fair warning, the last five minutes of the video is just us talking about Dragonball and nothing else, in case you don't care about DBZ. At least it's semi- related!

I've never actually seen Masamune's charge attack before. It looks pretty sweet. Crono's slash would interrupt the charge.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

Only the one you kept attacking counterattacks with X-strike. You're supposed to attack the one with the purple collar. Also you can use Slash to stop the big guy's Tornado attack; one of the villagers told you this but it's not obvious because it got translated there as "EnergyWhirls" instead of Tornados (Part 13 20:00).

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 16 - Prehistoric Stanky Leg

I had a version of this video where our friend Jenny showed me this song and I laughed really hard at the fact that a song about the stanky leg exists, but because of content ID shenanigans I decided to cut it out. You never know when GS Boyz are going to strike and ruin your chrono trigger let's play. The real song I was trying to think of was in fact whip/ nae nae.

whitehelm posted:

Only the one you kept attacking counterattacks with X-strike. You're supposed to attack the one with the purple collar. Also you can use Slash to stop the big guy's Tornado attack; one of the villagers told you this but it's not obvious because it got translated there as "EnergyWhirls" instead of Tornados (Part 13 20:00).

Of course I knew this. Clearly I just wanted the extra challenge to make the video more exciting!

Ultra Spoot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 19, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The song you were thinking of when referring to the "Numa Numa dance" is "Dragostea Din Tei", by O-Zone. The reason most people remember it, however, was because some random person (Gary Brolsma) did a lip-sync video to accompany it, which ended up going viral for a few months.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

The song you were thinking of when referring to the "Numa Numa dance" is "Dragostea Din Tei", by O-Zone. The reason most people remember it, however, was because some random person (Gary Brolsma) did a lip-sync video to accompany it, which ended up going viral for a few months.

Oh believe me I know, I had a friend who was super into electronic music at that time and we jammed the gently caress out to that song at least a couple times. Then years later I got hammered with a friend and jammed out to it again while reminiscing about old crap, which at the time was fun but just sounds sad now. No stanky legs were done at that time though unfortunately

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 17 - Tricks of the Trade

A couple things with this video. I had my recording volume a tiiiiny bit high when I recorded this so I think I might be annoyingly loud sometimes? Is it annoying to anyone? If it's pretty bad I might just mix it again and reupload the video. Also, the first seven minutes is just me trading poo poo. I kept it in because we were talking about stuff but skip to the seven minute mark if you wanna get back to actual gameplay.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 18 - Frog Fractions

We will destroy all the jacked monsters. All of them.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 19 - Cadaver Pals

I really like this area. You know, in case you couldn't tell

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

swapping party members every other fight is the way the game was meant to be played

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

After getting to the endgame and seeing Marle doesn't even know Ice2 yet, I have to agree. Also it really is very satisfying swapping your ragtag crew in and out for some reason.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

Part 18 - Frog Fractions

We will destroy all the jacked monsters. All of them.

The "shocking dinosaurs" trick would've been told to you by one of the villagers, but you didn't talk to all of them.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 20 - The Ozzman Trapeth

We return triumphantly with a super long update. It's trap dodging time motherfuckers. And by trap dodging I mean still fighting everything because I need those sweet sweet tech points, especially when I'm gonna use every character!

whitehelm posted:

The "shocking dinosaurs" trick would've been told to you by one of the villagers, but you didn't talk to all of them.

That was my bad. Usually I need to methodically inspect everyone and everything in every jrpg so I'm surprised I missed them. Luckily my quick wits saved me from blob dinos.

Ultra Spoot fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 1, 2017

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 21 - Manchild Wizard Showdown

It's time for me and my robro to put a douche wizard in his place. Also, in true spoot fashion, I completely don't read what's on the screen and end up mostly nailing it anyway.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I dig this thread, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 22 - Reptite Rampage

We can make it through any rpg as long as we have knock- off cheez- its.

• Locked thread