Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 35 - Norstein Bekkler is the Worst

At least get the guy's name right, nu friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

Part 35 - Norstein Bekkler is the Worst

At least get the guy's name right, nu friend.

Spekkio has one form harder than that, but you need a party member at lvl 99 to see it. It's a Nu.

If you lose Bekkler's game he sells you the clone, and the farther you get in the game the lower the price (if you win it's free). He was saying you were out of cash because you didn't have enough money to pay whatever price he was going to offer.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 10, 2017

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

Spekkio has one form harder than that, but you need a party member at lvl 99 to see it. It's a Nu.

If you lose Bekkler's game he sells you the clone, and the farther you get in the game the lower the price (if you win it's free). He was saying you were out of cash because you didn't have enough money to pay whatever price he was going to offer.

Ok cool, I didn't know either of these things. So maybe Norstein Bekkler isn't quite the worst. I think I was always completely broke here from either buying that scythe or catching everyone up on armor that I never realized he just lets you buy it. And even with new game plus and being a kid with nothing better to do, I still never had the patience to 100% an rpg like that and get to max level. I love that it gives you a reason to keep doing new game pluses beyond just seeing the different endings, which is already a pretty good reason to do another playthrough.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 36 - Dubbutt

Let's climb a mountain... FOR FRIENDSHIP

Sorry about the weird skips right before and during the cutscene. You might not even notice them(hopefully) except for the one during the cutscene. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure we didn't miss any dialogue or anything. If anyone knows why our capture is being wonky lately please let us know, manually resyncing audio suuuuuuuuuucks

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Hey folks. We been busy with life (imagine that) we have a couple more episodes in the works so stay tuned, sorry about the wait, but the exciting conclusion of Chrono Trigger is coming soon...

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 37 - Toma's Magic "Soda"

It's time to dive into some chrono trigger endgame. Or, you know, stumble and fall face first into. Whichever comes first.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

Part 37 - Toma's Magic "Soda"

It's time to dive into some chrono trigger endgame. Or, you know, stumble and fall face first into. Whichever comes first.

There are 5 non-Crono triple techs: Lucca/Robo/Magus, Lucca/Marle/Magus, Marle/Frog/Robo, Lucca/Marle/Ayla, and Frog/Robo/Ayla.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 38 - Russ Tyrano

Getting thrown into walls hurts a lot.

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Hey all, might be a week until we upload next, sorry about that. We are moving into a new studio (aka I got a new apartment) so yeah. Life again.

Also moving sucks

SaltMonsterDeluxe
Jan 12, 2017

Moving still sucks. A lot. But we got a nice new "studio" set up now. Recording resumes on Monday, expect new episodes later next week

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 39 - Murdered Into a Star

Join us for talking about Tyrel's new place and continuing the Rainbow Shell quest.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 40 - The Jerky of Time

Our good friend Rory joins us to grab some history altering jerky and kick my laptop.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

65,001,000 years was not quite enough. It needed that extra 1300.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Moxie posted:

65,001,000 years was not quite enough. It needed that extra 1300.

poo poo's gotta be perfect or else you just get Son of Sunstone.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 41 - Ruining Ghosts in the Northern Ruins

Frog's fractions finally form to create Frog... uh.... whole number. Yeah. Frog is a number. Anyway here's the northern ruins/ hero's grave.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Oh holy gently caress, it's a double update

Part 42 - The Ozzman Returneth

Part 43 - The Mystery of the Slappy Lightning

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

You missed Magus's ultimate equipment. There's a hidden passage in a wall in Ozzie's Fort that can only be entered if Magus leads the party. It's in the room with the trapped chest, directly opposite the door leading to the next room.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
To be fair, those are fairly easy to miss, and it's not like the game goes out of it's way earlier to show you that, yes, hidden passages are a thing. Though, I could be wrong.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Gilgamesh255 posted:

To be fair, those are fairly easy to miss, and it's not like the game goes out of it's way earlier to show you that, yes, hidden passages are a thing. Though, I could be wrong.

I don't think the mechanic is anywhere else. The clue is (I suppose) the shape of the room and the huge block of negative space. Putting Magus in front is fitting, at least. I don't know though, I'm pretty sure gamefaqs told me.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

I'm not sure if I forgot about it or if I just never even knew about it, but next time we record I will definitely run back and grab it. Thanks!

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 44 - Robrocalypse Now

It's time to finally finish off all the sidequests. We're finally at the end of the game! It's looking like in all likelihood we'll be finishing the game in our next session, so if there's something I forgot about that you want me to show off let me know. I know I haven't used Dark Eternal or Antipode 3 yet so that will definitely be happening, and I'll probably show the naga bromide thing as well, but other than that I'm not sure if there's anything else interesting.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I believe that the last sidequest message about "[one] of you is close to someone..." refers to the big elephant in the room, being the Black Omen and the Magus/Janus <-> Queen Zeal connection.

As for running out of time to save Lara from having her legs chewed up, that's all on you being too slow. I didn't realize it was even possible to get the failure condition without deliberately screwing up, once you knew what you were supposed to input. (Granted, as a child you were probably more dense. I certainly was. :v:)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I am not caught up yet, but in episode 35 you said that magus doesn't get dual or triple techs, which is true but also untrue at the same time. Dunno if you recanted or ran across why that's sort of untrue at some point later, we'll see!

Also the norstein bekkler part always bothered me too with the arms being switched.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 28, 2017

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

NGDBSS posted:

I believe that the last sidequest message about "[one] of you is close to someone..." refers to the big elephant in the room, being the Black Omen and the Magus/Janus <-> Queen Zeal connection.

It's a mistranslated throwaway line that originally suggested something like: helping people could strengthen the party. It's the opening line of his script after listing the side quests.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

As for running out of time to save Lara from having her legs chewed up, that's all on you being too slow. I didn't realize it was even possible to get the failure condition without deliberately screwing up, once you knew what you were supposed to input. (Granted, as a child you were probably more dense. I certainly was. :v:)

Yeah I definitely panicked a bit. When I rewatched it I noticed I was mashing A on everything but the little star, and I was entering the code extremely deliberately because I remember if you enter it wrong you're pretty much hosed. Robo's dialogue if you fail is the best though so at least my incompetence gave us that.

MF_James posted:

I am not caught up yet, but in episode 35 you said that magus doesn't get dual or triple techs, which is true but also untrue at the same time. Dunno if you recanted or ran across why that's sort of untrue at some point later, we'll see!

I honestly can't remember if I clarified it later. Might have to bring it up when we record again. What I should have said was he doesn't naturally learn triple techs, he needs to use the rock items to use them. I know one of the first sidequests we did is one where you get one of the rocks, and then we used it immediately so I might have mentioned it there hopefully.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 45 - Pride and Fidget Spinners

We finally get around to checking out that Black Omen we've been hearing all about. Right off the bat in this one I think I'm wrong on the time continuing for Lucca's mom when you leave the room, it seems like once you activate the scene and leave the room, she's exactly where she was when you left? Maybe. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Either way as previously established I failed it because I'm bad at video games.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Encounters like the later Spekkio fights are why I like to beeline for Fiona's sidequest as soon as possible. Remember those Vigil Hats? It's nice to just buy them outright for everyone in the party and then to just laugh at enemy status effects. Though in your case you probably could've used some AoE healing as well.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

NGDBSS posted:

Remember those Vigil Hats? It's nice to just buy them outright for everyone in the party and then to just laugh at enemy status effects. Though in your case you probably could've used some AoE healing as well.

I think he should have considered throwing a Megalixir. It's also not a bad idea to use element absorbing armor in those fights.

One other thing - please replace the Rage Band with the Frenzy Band (if you want to use a counter accessory).

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
If you're showing off Triple Techs make sure you get the Gold Rock from Mt Denodoro (where you fought the Masa&Mune boss). You can only get it after powering up the Masamune (which you've done), and you get it by putting Frog in front, then going up until that one monster that throws rocks at you. Instead of getting hit by them Frog catches one and it's the Gold Rock. It's for a Marle/Frog/Robo tech that summons a bunch of Masa&Mune bosses to pound enemies.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

whitehelm posted:

If you're showing off Triple Techs make sure you get the Gold Rock from Mt Denodoro (where you fought the Masa&Mune boss). You can only get it after powering up the Masamune (which you've done), and you get it by putting Frog in front, then going up until that one monster that throws rocks at you. Instead of getting hit by them Frog catches one and it's the Gold Rock. It's for a Marle/Frog/Robo tech that summons a bunch of Masa&Mune bosses to pound enemies.

Oh poo poo that's awesome, definitely doing this

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 46 - Black Omen Band Chat

I take care of some unfinished business and then it's final dungeon chat time. After this we're officially in the home stretch.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

At this point the only thing that hasn't been mentioned that you can miss is 65000000BC. Check the burned village (and maybe the trading post.)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Steal from as many Tubsters as possible. While they don't respawn, the Black Omen is considered a different dungeon for each time period with respect to a number of enemy spawns and thus you should be able to still find some more beyond this time period. (Or not - I know at least that bosses and treasure chests will not respawn.)

So what do they give you? Speed Tabs.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Moxie posted:

At this point the only thing that hasn't been mentioned that you can miss is 65000000BC. Check the burned village (and maybe the trading post.)

I will do this thing

NGDBSS posted:

So what do they give you? Speed Tabs.

I'll also do this thing cause that's kinda hilarious to me you can just steal those. As great as that sounds to just jack everyone's speed up to max and style on the final bosses I'm not sure we have the patience to go through essentially the same dungeon three times. Well, unless there's some interesting changes between them, then I might consider it.

Anyway I've written all these little extra things down on a cheat sheet like I'm doing the nerdiest college presentation ever. Thanks for helping make the LP a lot more thorough

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Ultra Spoot posted:

Anyway I've written all these little extra things down on a cheat sheet like I'm doing the nerdiest college presentation ever.

You make it sound like no one's done college presentations on classic video games. Let me assure you, my friend, that this is very, very far from the truth.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Lazy Bear posted:

You make it sound like no one's done college presentations on classic video games. Let me assure you, my friend, that this is very, very far from the truth.

No stop, I'm imagining someone doing a "history of Chrono Trigger" presentation for their anthropology class or something and cringing myself into a singularity

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Ultra Spoot posted:

I'll also do this thing cause that's kinda hilarious to me you can just steal those. As great as that sounds to just jack everyone's speed up to max and style on the final bosses I'm not sure we have the patience to go through essentially the same dungeon three times. Well, unless there's some interesting changes between them, then I might consider it.

At least one of the Tubsters (the first one) respawns if you leave and re-enter the room. Unfortunately NGDBSS is wrong about Tubsters having Speed Tabs, they have POWER tabs. The Panels have Speed Tabs for stealing, but they don't respawn.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Ultra Spoot posted:

No stop, I'm imagining someone doing a "history of Chrono Trigger" presentation for their anthropology class or something and cringing myself into a singularity

Worse. I know at least one person who did a college dissertation on FFVII.

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Lazy Bear posted:

Worse. I know at least one person who did a college dissertation on FFVII.

I take it back, I love that people like that exist, it's pretty funny. Like even if it was for a gaming or design or art or whatever class, that just seems like the most cliche game you could possibly pick.

whitehelm posted:

At least one of the Tubsters (the first one) respawns if you leave and re-enter the room. Unfortunately NGDBSS is wrong about Tubsters having Speed Tabs, they have POWER tabs. The Panels have Speed Tabs for stealing, but they don't respawn.

Figures we already took out the panels. We still haven't recorded it yet so I'll be sure to mention it, and I'm still raiding the poo poo out of those tubsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultra Spoot
Aug 11, 2009

Part 47 - Extras, Easter Eggs, Nightmare Kevin Costner

Nu- metal reference

• Locked thread