Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In Arcanum the tech genius character is named Gil Bates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Broken as they are, I really love Arcanum's systems and the "here's a load of poo poo do what you want with it" approach to design. It reminds me of Morrowind in a lot of ways.

The guy who did the unofficial patch for Arcanum has spoken about releasing a balance mod for it to tweak some of the hardcoded things like the crazy strength bonus, but I think he falls in and out of love with the game a lot so don't expect anything soon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Actually, harm is boring and lugging around a bunch of scrap and schematics so that you can build an army of spider robots and tesla guns is extremely ftw.

This is my end problem. It sucks that the boring poo poo is strong, that the cool poo poo is weak. It's what holds me back from replaying Arcanum every time. The more kickin' rad your character, the more you actually try to play to the unique elements of the setting, the more bullshit you have to go through to make them work and not just sit back and rely on your two or three melee butlers to take care of things for you. They made this world of magic and revolutions and advances in technology and traditionalism...and the best character you can make is the most boring loving high fantasy adventure shithead that exists in every other goddamn setting already.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My favorite thing about Arcanum was watching Chris Avellone get killed by wolves for an hour.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Broken as they are, I really love Arcanum's systems and the "here's a load of poo poo do what you want with it" approach to design. It reminds me of Morrowind in a lot of ways.

The guy who did the unofficial patch for Arcanum has spoken about releasing a balance mod for it to tweak some of the hardcoded things like the crazy strength bonus, but I think he falls in and out of love with the game a lot so don't expect anything soon.

the guy (drog) only gets really hyped for arcanum when he drinks heavily

extremely same

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

My favorite thing about Arcanum was watching Chris Avellone get killed by wolves for an hour.

Never forgiven him for not completing that drat Lets Play. I would love to see developers play through their own games more often. Avellone playing through PST or Josh going through Pillars 1.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ProfessorCirno posted:

Things in Arcanum that matter in combat:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

mitochondritom posted:

Never forgiven him for not completing that drat Lets Play. I would love to see developers play through their own games more often. Avellone playing through PST or Josh going through Pillars 1.

Did he ever at least SAY he was gonna stop, or did he do what all failed LPers do and just...stopped posting the videos?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Did he ever at least SAY he was gonna stop, or did he do what all failed LPers do and just...stopped posting the videos?

He literally couldn't figure it out and blatantly quit because the game was kicking his rear end

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

ProfessorCirno posted:

The later, iirc. Maybe he was in a bad place at the time, since it was a few weeks before he left Obsidian? Anyway yeah, dick move. Don't promise stuff you won't commit to. Doing a live LP is not that hard.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Entropy238 posted:

This is probably the best/only good thing about Arcanum's mechanics.

To be honest I think no matter what you go with the game is boring to actually play, but it is fun to think about things that you could play.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Furism posted:

The later, iirc. Maybe he was in a bad place at the time, since it was a few weeks before he left Obsidian? Anyway yeah, dick move. Don't promise stuff you won't commit to. Doing a live LP is not that hard.

I seem to remember Avellone not being asked before it was promised on the kickstarter, anyone know if I'm remembering right?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

kujeger posted:

I seem to remember Avellone not being asked before it was promised on the kickstarter, anyone know if I'm remembering right?

I too remember he was a Kickstarter goal without being asked, but I remember it as being his role on the new Bards Tale game from InExile.

I may be wrong though.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
forget that big (but impressive) nerd screed back there about character builds. Arcanum is cool and good because it is large and spongy and dynamic enough to let you play all sorts of crazy builds. you can play as a pretty girl with nothing but a chr score and a dress and get enough companions to do everything for you.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

whats the poe 2 backer t-shirt look like? I can't find any solid pics of it

the more I read about deadfire the more I want to upgrade to some absurd backer level

e: wait the shirt is an addon not even a backer reward well then

double edit: will pillars 2 be moddable in an official capacity? or at the very least will it not be a massive daunting hurdle like pillars 1 modding was?

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 20, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why does Arcanum have a multiplayer mode? What does that even look like?

EDIT: How breakable is Planescape: Torment?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 20, 2017

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

double edit: will pillars 2 be moddable in an official capacity? or at the very least will it not be a massive daunting hurdle like pillars 1 modding was?

They have said it will be more data-driven, so it should be easier to mod some things at least (I assume spells and abilities will be part of it). I don't expect they will make it easy for us add things like new locations, NPC's and quests.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

SirPhoebos posted:

You run a high WIS character and kite the hard fights

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

please don't play arcanum multiplayer

torment isn't really combat focused so breaking it is as simple as "max wisdom and int, get a lot of dex" then pick the right dialogue options

Parenthesis posted:

They have said it will be more data-driven, so it should be easier to mod some things at least (I assume spells and abilities will be part of it). I don't expect they will make it easy for us add things like new locations, NPC's and quests.
that's certainly an improvement from poe1. just being able to modify or add spells or stats on items would be insanely useful.

being able to add NPCs or random events would be primo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

SirPhoebos posted:

Get Wizard training ASAP and max Int. Also max Wis because conversations matter more than stats. With a decent Cha, you can use the Friends spell to get all three conversation stats high.

You can talk the last boss into suicide, but I settled for convincing him to gently caress off so I could res my party.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm refreshing constantly to get the mullti class update :f5:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Good news. You can stop torturing your F5 key.
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93848-update-40-multiclassing-part-ii

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

And you can preview ability trees! Praise be unto Josh.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Way late, but Intelligence in Arcanum affects how many spells you can have active at the same time, so it's important for buffers and summoners (aka the coolest build in any RPG).

Edit: Universalist for Druid + Priest is pretty clever.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shadowflame and Crushing Doom are in. Good stuff.

But yeah, 2nd ed multiclassing was probably the way to go. Otherwise you would have had weird edge cases where multiclassed monks were terrible with their fists, and stuff like that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't remember if this was mentioned before, but there are no Interrupt or Concentration values in the Character Sheet, which makes me wonder how the system works now. Will it just be based on specific attacks, like it was in Tyranny?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is there a particular reason for the Sorkin homage

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gonna be a Cantor and kill ppl while singing hymns at them

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh the old subclasses (for Paladins/Priests only) have penalties now to balance out, interesting.

gently caress I'm gonna spend hours in the character creation when this comes out, goddammit

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ah man, if POE II is anything like POE I with the status effects being thrown around everyone will always be vulnerable to sneak attacks and Kind Wayferer will suck

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It gives them a lot more flavour. Kind Wayfarers doing less damage to anything that qualifies for a Sneak Attack is particularly cool. Any Pallegina's order's 'I will not wear any peasant clothes' thing.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Ah man, if POE II is anything like POE I with the status effects being thrown around everyone will always be vulnerable to sneak attacks and Kind Wayferer will suck

Not if you build that as a tank/healer. Go Kind Wayfarer/Lifegiver druid, be the best healer you can be.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

why can't I be a fighter sub fighter so I can be 85% of a fighter with bonus fighter skills
e: the combo class name would be fighter

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0wIKSWIWY

:coolfish:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also trying to figure a good ranged build preferably with guns- maybe sharpshooter ranger/assassin rogue?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My Bleak Walker gun palladin can finally be the Bleak Walker/Sharpshooter she always dreamed of being.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

why can't I be a fighter sub fighter so I can be 85% of a fighter with bonus fighter skills
e: the combo class name would be fighter

In their internal build you can be a monk/monk multiclass. The fistiest.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

StashAugustine posted:

Also trying to figure a good ranged build preferably with guns- maybe sharpshooter ranger/assassin rogue?

That looks like a good choice for pure damage. Or a sharpshooter/fighter Devoted to arquebuses.

E: Quote is not edit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Actually wait, do proficiencies still apply to all soulbound weapons? Devoted sound pretty ridiculous if so

e: also what the gently caress is Stride

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fighter power source? Though I thought that used to be called Discipline...

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Some of those kits (mage slayer, devoted) seem like no brainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

These update videos are entertaining as hell. Also, what ui gods are they praying to cause that poo poo looks beautiful.

• Locked thread