Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Allegedly, it makes level design easier
It makes pretty much everything easier. Notably, UI layout (e.g. HUD, inventory), content balancing, and area layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You should just remove the limit so we can have all the NPCs plus like 50 hirelings I see no way this could make it difficult for you to balance the game.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
With regards to portraits, all I want is that the generic ones match the facial hair and hair cut you can pick. My guy needs to look like his portrait god damnit. Yes even if he wears a helm.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Furism posted:

With regards to portraits, all I want is that the generic ones match the facial hair and hair cut you can pick. My guy needs to look like his portrait god damnit. Yes even if he wears a helm.

Are you...me?

My :spergin: is so deep that I need my character portrait to match my character as well, not just the model. The default "ragged beard hobo guy with tattered cloak" is perfect for my Kind Wayfarer. :allears:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I usually completely forget what my character's face looks like as soon as they put a helmet on.

For such a simple feature it's amazing how effective character portraits are at giving you a sense of characters. I don't really even look at the models in game.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if there's a portrait with a full helm on, i usually take that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know what I think could (could) work? If increasing the difficulty, or a certain difficulty setting if you go down the modular route, also increases your party limit. Or if increasing party limit via options also makes the game more difficult.

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, I never use portrait packs as I get all eye-twitchy if they don't match.

Just :lol: if you don't exclusively use portraits cropped from black and white manga.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ideally the party limit would just be number of companions+1.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i feel like it's easier to swallow when your non-partied buddies have something else to do beside go murder-hoboing with you
like, ostensibly for this game, the non-active guys can be guarding your boat or something

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

AriadneThread posted:

i feel like it's easier to swallow when your non-partied buddies have something else to do beside go murder-hoboing with you
like, ostensibly for this game, the non-active guys can be guarding getting drunk with the crew on your boat or something

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

It makes pretty much everything easier. Notably, UI layout (e.g. HUD, inventory), content balancing, and area layout.

What I'm hearing is the beta will be soon then right

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I'm hearing is the beta will be soon then right

Yeah, March is just around the corner!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There should be a button that swaps equipment between characters when you swap them out. For example I've got Kana, Pallegina, and Grieving Mother both specced for two weapon and Mechanics so I only ever have one of them in party at a time. It'd be real nice if I didn't have to drag all their equipment off and then back on to the one I'm swapping in.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Going through Pillars again it still irks me a bit that Drawn in Spring and Sheathed in Autumn don't work of the same Weapon Focus. It wouldn't even be ideal at all but I like the symmetry of the names.

Does anyone know if One-handed Style, Minor Threat (Orlan) and Dirty Fighting stack? And if so, how they stack?

CVE fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 10, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rope Kid posted some slides from a talk he gave http://media.obsidian.net/obsidian/talks/2017/gic-role-in-rpgs.pdf

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
RIP every single ttrpg that Karlnp runs.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Hope that shows up on YouTube soon. Sounds like a good way to waste an hour at work.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CFox posted:

Hope that shows up on YouTube soon. Sounds like a good way to waste an hour at work.

I think Josh said that it wasn't recorded. It's a bummer but at least we got some snazzy slides out of it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I like that his brief history of RPGs ends with Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Harsh but fair.

EDIT:

Oh no, who told you that, Josh? :ohdear:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 11, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Man I wish people would stop doxxing me

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT:

i'm the skinner box rat that keeps pressing the "get cool loot" button until I die

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'll have to be the one weirdo that keeps insisting that adding a background to the protagonist one year after release (and as vague as it was) added nothing to New Vegas, even though I enjoy Lonesome Road.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Seriously, rope kid, you have to tell us this story :allears:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'll have to be the one weirdo that keeps insisting that adding a background to the protagonist one year after release (and as vague as it was) added nothing to New Vegas, even though I enjoy Lonesome Road.

Oh, trust me, you are not alone in not getting anything from the background you're given.

Honestly, New Vegas is way more enjoyable for me without the background. I'm just Some Fucker who got shot in the brain by Chandler from Friends, and now it's go time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Very interesting slides anyway. Kind of a pity the talk wasn't recorded, there's a few people that livetweeted some stuff, but that's about it. I'm very curious to see how the planned improvements to the Disposition system and reactivity in general will pan out in Deadfire.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am going to try a new run at the game and play the White March parts for the first time, what classes aren't covered by companions? Barbarian and druid?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

I like that his brief history of RPGs ends with Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Harsh but fair.

EDIT:

He's just basing that on testing with PoE, where everyone restarts after an hour to try a different new character anway

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Oasx posted:

I am going to try a new run at the game and play the White March parts for the first time, what classes aren't covered by companions? Barbarian and druid?

If you're playing White March there's a companion for each class.I'd posit that the base-game cipher companion is the most skippable of all the companions though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The only thing LR specified about the Courier's background was the Divide being a location they delivered a package to at some point before the main game. And even that isn't all that firmly established.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There's all that crap about it being your home, though you can just go what, no it isn't you crazy dude - so it's up to you whether you accept the background it's trying to force on you or not.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Oasx posted:

Cipher

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Grieving Mother but either way you want a Cipher, possibly three, on your team at all times

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

In the slides it says something about increased Deadfire and Godlike tags. With improved thief abilities I will definitely be playing my Death Godlike Rogue from the Deadfire. I'm wondering if the shop interface will have a steal button like in BG or if we get to pickpocket the merchants.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

if we get to pickpocket the merchants.

Pickpocket is definitively in (one of the examples they gave was to steal some item for a quest if you didn't pass the dialogue checks), not sure about the merchants though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CommissarMega posted:

Seriously, rope kid, you have to tell us this story :allears:
It's just a character I played for a few sessions in a Burning Wheel game. He believed that honey was the cure to every ailment and misfortune and tried to push it on everyone he encountered. He also believed that he could see the future by interpreting the movements of bees.

Like the first character on the list, the serial killer with a degree in architecture and a straight razor, I was able to use the character's signature elements in every session despite the fact that they were fairly esoteric.

The point I was trying to make is that players come up with a lot of cool and weird character ideas and it's the designers' responsibility to facilitate letting those characters shine.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the noble art of apiaromancy is not be mocked

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I too appreciate it when crpgs resemble a digitized tabletop session and not digitized 2E adventure module

I forgot I put in drifter and someone mentioned travelling followed by [drifter] "but you know all about that" and that was a neat moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I kinda wonder why no-one's ever made an honest-to-god multiplayer D&D video game that tries to be as close to table-top as possible.

In the age of internet voice chat it doesn't seem like an insurmountable task.

• Locked thread