Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fintilgin posted:

It was just really obviously checking off a kickstarter promise reward box.

Which is a good thing, to be clear, but yeah. And from the sound of it rope kid doesn't really disagree. Excited by pirate adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Are we guaranteed an expansion or more? I haven't looked at the stretch goals for the campaign, other than we aren't going to get fishing, god damnit. :mad:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

sebmojo posted:

Which is a good thing, to be clear, but yeah. And from the sound of it rope kid doesn't really disagree. Excited by pirate adventures.

I hope there will be maps with riddles. :allears:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ginette Reno posted:

People really didn't like the stronghold? You can build all of it without even being there, and the quests are a clever way to keep companions on the sidelines leveled up and still contributing to the group. It's so low effort on the player's part to get great value out of it.
It just didn't serve much purpose beyond decoration and the accumulation of random alchemical ingredients. When we learned there would be a personal dungeon everybody's minds immediately went to, like, DA: Inquisition's judgments, but what we got was a broken / half-made mechanic in which you either ransomed prisoners for negligible amounts of cash, or literally waited until the RNG decided it was time for them to break out of jail and never be seen again. Prestige and security seemed to have no true effect on anything - it was a lot like the morale meter of Fallout 4 settlements.

My beef was mainly that it was designed around notions of a balanced economy, as though such a thing were actually possible in an open world game. So you end up getting progressively more rich as you sell off your billions of xuarip kits, while the stronghold is designed to only net you slightly more resources than what it required be put in. They were pretty open about how they made the stronghold unappealing in order to assuage the fears of players who wouldn't want to gently caress with it. The best way to make a mechanic something capable of being ignored, when you can't outright cut it, is to make it pointless.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Node posted:

Are we guaranteed an expansion or more? I haven't looked at the stretch goals for the campaign, other than we aren't going to get fishing, god damnit. :mad:

3 x DLC

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I played on release and was a backer but I can't remember what the release version of the keep was like beyond that it had the Endless Paths.

Tbh I like it well enough though. It's not the coolest thing but mechanically I enjoy getting my companions xp and loot rewards while I'm off doing my own thing, and the Battle of Yenwood + Endless Paths are fun. I also like how low maintenance it is. Skyhold in DA:I is cool but god sometimes it's exhausting playing that game between talking to the hundred npcs there, doing the judgments, etc.

Maybe I'm just a lazy gamer but occasionally I appreciate the low maintenance route to things.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

At least.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An early draft of the plot was going to involve a climactic battle at the keep, according to one interview the head writer did. I hope Pillars 2 will have a nice meaty ship battle at the end

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

2house2fly posted:

An early draft of the plot was going to involve a climactic battle at the keep, according to one interview the head writer did. I hope Pillars 2 will have a nice meaty ship battle at the end

An optional fight where you can take Eothas/other equivalent opponent on by ship rather than in the standard combat system if you think your crew is 'ard enough would be really cool.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
rope kid, I must know: were you manning your puppet in the main part of the video? Obviously you weren't during the end clip, but...

Also, the pipe cleaner "tattoo" on the arm was a wonderful touch.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Are you saying you think Josh is a bit up himself?

Just finished my definitive play through of the first game, got all the ending slides I was going for, biggest thing I'm not sure about is I feel I screwed up a bit in my conversation with Iovara near the end.

Even though it wasn't 100% "perfect" for every little side quest and task - I don't think the import/decisions will be that precise.

Finally got the Explorer achievement to trigger too!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

rope kid on companion multiclassing options:

rope kid posted:

milesofmoose posted:

Looking over the multiclass spreadsheet for companions you posted here the other day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there's only one character that's able to be a paladin (Pallegina), priest (Xoti), and ranger (Maia), but there's 4 possible chanters (Pallegina, Tekehu, Fassina, Konstanten), 4 possible fighters (Aloth, Eder, Palledina, Rekke), and 4 possible rogues (Aloth, Eder, Maia, Ydwin) - any particular reason some classes got a lot of love over others?
There are *~ roeleplaeyinge ~* reasons and mechanical reasons. Priests and paladins are difficult to justify unless the character is really passionate about their faith. Ranger animal companions are tightly integrated into the stories of individual companions. Like Itumaak for Sagani, Ishiza is integral to Maia’s story. Maia’s dialogue (and other companions’ dialogue) references Ishiza frequently. We’d either have to write optional dialogue for characters who could be rangers or ignore it entirely. Neither option seems that great.

Both fighters and rogues are popular multiclassing options. The isn’t just what we hear people say, but what we see in our Backer Beta telemetrics data – half of all multiclassed characters have fighter, rogue, paladin, or cipher as one of the classes.

They’re mechanically useful and they aren’t difficult to justify from a roleplaying perspective. Fighters and rogues aren’t inherently ideological. They don’t have inherently “weird” backgrounds. It’s not hard to see a character throwing some martial training on top of whatever else they have going on.

Priests are thin in the companion lineup, but without creating new deity orders/subclasses it was difficult to justify anyone but Xoti as a priest.

It feels like Nightmarket-Eder should have been shoe-in for a priest multiclass, but beyond that, I take the point.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

Holy poo poo enough with the loving ships, I legit don't understand why they're focusing so much on a feature half the players are probably gonna either hate or ignore

Same but elf-dating or a plot more ambitious than "Get Money, gently caress Orlans, Smoke Svef".

Node posted:

other than we aren't going to get fishing, god damnit. :mad:

Video games are a false god, get your mind right and Join Us for real.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 24, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Makes sense. Instead of one big DLC zone split into two pieces, they can add a new set of islands/stories in each DLC.

One DLC is the haunted spooky island of the ghost pirates
One is the lands where Sagani lives
etc

CottonWolf posted:

Gonna have to look at the final high level talents, but I'm very in favor of rogue subclasses. Specifically if you have multiple in the party. Like all your melee guys. Very good positioning/disengagement, and they synergize extremely well. If you have your main melee guys with rogue subs and you pay any attention to positioning at all to set up a tag team thing then they both get +50% damage passively to pretty much every attack they'll ever make.

I think high level abilities will have a hard time competing with that to be honest, as it's pretty much going to be working for from level 1 to the end of the game.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 24, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fintilgin posted:

Gonna have to look at the final high level talents, but I'm very in favor of rogue subclasses. Specifically if you have multiple in the party. Like all your melee guys. Very good positioning/disengagement, and they synergize extremely well. If you have your main melee guys with rogue subs and you pay any attention to positioning at all to set up a tag team thing then they both get +50% damage passively to pretty much every attack they'll ever make.

I think high level abilities will have a hard time competing with that to be honest, as it's pretty much going to be working for from level 1 to the end of the game.

On the Obsidian forums, I've been making the argument for multiclassing to rogue on tanks even if it's your only rogue. Escape gives great manuverablilty for blocking enemies moving to squishies once the battle lines have solidified, and both reposte and persistant distraction synergise really well with high deflection/high engagement builds. Basically non-specific tank/Streetfighter seems univerally great, if you've got the AR/deflection/healing to ignore/avoid/take the hits.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

Prestige and security seemed to have no true effect on anything - it was a lot like the morale meter of Fallout 4 settlements.
Security definitely does have an effect. I maxed it out before going for prestige and only had to deal with one attack on the Stronghold. Meanwhile, I hear lots of players complaining about the frequency of the attacks and how they have to deal with them in person because their guards are so loving inept and I'm just scratching my head.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Pleeeeeease let us at least give Edar a level in ranger Ropekid!! He deserves his own cuddly animal to pet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Pleeeeeease let us at least give Edar a level in ranger Ropekid!! He deserves his own cuddly animal to pet.

eder is supposed to suffer. he doesent get a pet because thats what he wants.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

hangedman1984 posted:

Only if it's an orlan, and it just makes the entirety of Deadfire one long, awkward conversation with Eder.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

https://samtalksgames.tumblr.com/post/148028636228/momochanners-ed%C3%A9r-no-eder-might-be-my

http://unoobang.tumblr.com/post/157611462852/eagerly-look-foward-to-pillars-of-eternity

http://galagraphia.tumblr.com/post/164102879823/sorry-durance-we-ran-out-of-shield-space

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Only if it's an orlan, and it just makes the entirety of Deadfire one long, awkward conversation with Eder.

I'm ok with that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Iretep posted:

eder is supposed to suffer. he doesent get a pet because thats what he wants.

No no

he can be a ghost lodge ranger only

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

Gonna have to look at the final high level talents, but I'm very in favor of rogue subclasses.

Yeah, we'll have to see the capstones, but my instincts are telling me "dual your melee, single your casters."

So looking at the table:

I'm probably thinking;

PC cipher (presuming the class is fixed)

Eder Fighter/Rogue

Konstanten as Chanter/Barb OR Pallegina as Paladin/Chanter

Xoti as Priest (priest/monk if the endgame priest talents are crap)

Aloth wizard

I'm gonna need to go back and reload a near-endgame save and grab that baby, maybe dump Mother in the blood pool aren't I

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm gonna need to go back and reload a near-endgame save and grab that baby, maybe dump Mother in the blood pool aren't I

Maybe just redo your choices in the backstory options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Maybe just redo your choices in the backstory options.

Or that yes

I thought that was just for "new" fake saves, not imported games though

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
my problem with the baby is im a goldpact paladin so i dont think i can go back on a mission.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What was up with that 25Pwqv code at the end there? if it's a reference to something, I'm not getting.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the chad casters

Wizard
PL 9 Unlock - Meteor Shower
Priest
PL 9 Unlock - Berath Incarnate
PL 9 Unlock - Eothas Incarnate
PL 9 Unlock - Magran Incarnate
PL 9 Unlock - Skaen Incarnate
PL 9 Unlock - Wael Incarnate
Druid
PL 9 Unlock - Aspect of Galawain
PL 9 Unlock - Great Maelstrom
Cipher
PL 9 Unlock - Death of 1,000 Cuts

the virgin martial classes

Barbarian
PL 9 Unlock - Hurl Weapon
Fighter
PL 9 Unlock - Chopping Wood
PL 9 Unlock - Pommel Counter
Ranger
PL 9 Unlock - Distraction Training
PL 9 Unlock - Active Camouflage

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Great Maelstrom is an actual level 9 spell in Deadfire, so good guess.

Though Charge is apparently a single-class only ability as well, so I don't know if I really want to multi a Fighter.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm completely out of the loop. Is there a 'primary source' for information from the beta?

In particular, I'm curious about fancy clothing. I have good and evil runs. In PoE, my evil PC wears heavily augmented Vailian clothing because he fancy. What are his options in PoEII?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Raygereio posted:

What was up with that 25Pwqv code at the end there? if it's a reference to something, I'm not getting.

It's an ongoing mystery.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Accretionist posted:

I'm completely out of the loop. Is there a 'primary source' for information from the beta?

In particular, I'm curious about fancy clothing. I have good and evil runs. In PoE, my evil PC wears heavily augmented Vailian clothing because he fancy. What are his options in PoEII?
At the moment we are actually finalizing some unique "clothing" armors specifically for people who want to do fancy lad/lass runs.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

rope kid posted:

At the moment we are actually finalizing some unique "clothing" armors specifically for people who want to do fancy lad/lass runs.

Oh fun. Hopefully we get a really spiffy monk robe.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

rope kid posted:

That is outstanding.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

That's actually a really big deal thank you

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Great Maelstrom is an actual level 9 spell in Deadfire, so good guess.

Though Charge is apparently a single-class only ability as well, so I don't know if I really want to multi a Fighter.

Everything at power level 9 would be single class only, right? Until the DLC adds levels anyway

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yeah, we'll have to see the capstones, but my instincts are telling me "dual your melee, single your casters."

I'm prepping a Priest of Eothas for import. It's pretty fun so far. Priests are probably the best class in Poe1. They nuke for crazy damage, heal really well, and a main char Priest also gets an absolutely ridiculous holy radiance. For comparison I'm level 6 right now and my Holy Radiance does 100 damage over 3 seconds to vessels. I think Durance's does something like 50-60. With the Bartender Ring as well Vessels just get dropped by my Priest. And of course their buffs are second to none.

I don't know that I'd ever even use the new game options for Poe2 tbh. I really enjoy Poe1 so it doesn't bother me to play through it again. But I'm the type of crazy person who just finished a full series playthrough of Dragon Age and has done numerous full series Baldur's Gate runs so yeah.

I'm undecided yet on if I'll multi-class the Priest. I haven't done the beta at all so I have no idea the worthiness of doing so. I'll probably just wing it on my first playthrough like I usually do.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Everything at power level 9 would be single class only, right? Until the DLC adds levels anyway

Power level 8 and 9 based on the table that's floating around.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm prepping a Priest of Eothas for import. It's pretty fun so far. Priests are probably the best class in Poe1. They nuke for crazy damage, heal really well, and a main char Priest also gets an absolutely ridiculous holy radiance. For comparison I'm level 6 right now and my Holy Radiance does 100 damage over 3 seconds to vessels. I think Durance's does something like 50-60. With the Bartender Ring as well Vessels just get dropped by my Priest. And of course their buffs are second to none.

I don't know that I'd ever even use the new game options for Poe2 tbh. I really enjoy Poe1 so it doesn't bother me to play through it again. But I'm the type of crazy person who just finished a full series playthrough of Dragon Age and has done numerous full series Baldur's Gate runs so yeah.

I'm undecided yet on if I'll multi-class the Priest. I haven't done the beta at all so I have no idea the worthiness of doing so. I'll probably just wing it on my first playthrough like I usually do.

Eothasian is best priest just by being able to cram it down Raedric's throat.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PC cipher (presuming the class is fixed)

Eder Fighter/Rogue

Konstanten as Chanter/Barb OR Pallegina as Paladin/Chanter

Xoti as Priest (priest/monk if the endgame priest talents are crap)

Aloth wizard

I'm thinking

PC Paladin/Rogue (required to be a Kind Wayfarer by law, so I'm sort of picturing this as a bit swashbuckler paladin)

Canon 3 from PoE 1
Eder Fighter/Rogue
Palegina Paladin/Chanter(?)
Aloth Wizard

Xoti for the priesly goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've always been so bad at multiclassing. I can never decide what would go well together, instead of purely focusing on one class to get it as best as it can get. POE2 is going to be hard on me just from creating character builds alone.

• Locked thread