Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can hold X camping supplies based on your difficulty- 2 on hard, 4 on Normal, 6 on easy, unlimited on Storytime.

If you have enough money to buy something but the trade interface won't let you buy it, that sounds like a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
It's not very intuitive because you can haul around enough steel to deck out an endless army, but enough firewood for too many camping trips is a no-go.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Dennis McClaren posted:

I can't believe this is stumping me but,

In PoE 1, I don't understand the trade interface. I always need camping supplies, and it seems like the Trade UI only wants to accept things in trade, but not actual copper, for items. Like I can't just spend my copper, I have to spend mushrooms and fine swords or whatever to buy something.
Is there something I'm missing here?
And can you only buy 4 camping supplies?

You should be able to just click the trade button with your side of the "trade" empty to pay with coin. If that's not how it's working for you then I have no idea what's going on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Dennis McClaren posted:

I can't believe this is stumping me but,

In PoE 1, I don't understand the trade interface. I always need camping supplies, and it seems like the Trade UI only wants to accept things in trade, but not actual copper, for items. Like I can't just spend my copper, I have to spend mushrooms and fine swords or whatever to buy something.
Is there something I'm missing here?
And can you only buy 4 camping supplies?

The bottom left side is what you're buying, the right is what you're selling. If the left side is worth more than the right then you'll spend copper to make up the difference. So if you select camping supplies from the merchant and don't put anything on your side of the window then you'll just buy it with copper coins.

The camping supply limit is based on difficulty. If you're playing on normal then 4 is the limit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dennis McClaren posted:

I couldnt find that option? I looked through all their offerings I thought...

Just hit create account.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So how have Barbarians changed from 1 to 2?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
A Bleak Walker paladin who makes good use of lashes (and Bittercut) is probably better then Pallegina at burst, but then, they're better then drat near anyone at burst.

Don't look down on fighters. The thing about fighters outside of being strangely good scroll users is that no class can take advantage of speed boosts more. fighter is built almost entirely around auto-attack, which normally makes them boring but solid. Once you add a DAoM potion and some durgan steel to it, however, a two hander fighter starts killing fast. And while paladins might have better defenses, fighter auto-regen can become hilarious if you itemize towards it.

At least for PoE 1, rogues are the ones I'd look down on. Their offense isn't that much better then fighters to excuse their far lower durability, and frankly, they're just as boring.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

A Bleak Walker paladin who makes good use of lashes (and Bittercut) is probably better then Pallegina at burst, but then, they're better then drat near anyone at burst.

Don't look down on fighters. The thing about fighters outside of being strangely good scroll users is that no class can take advantage of speed boosts more. fighter is built almost entirely around auto-attack, which normally makes them boring but solid. Once you add a DAoM potion and some durgan steel to it, however, a two hander fighter starts killing fast. And while paladins might have better defenses, fighter auto-regen can become hilarious if you itemize towards it.

At least for PoE 1, rogues are the ones I'd look down on. Their offense isn't that much better then fighters to excuse their far lower durability, and frankly, they're just as boring.

True. Bleak Walkers do own. I beat Poe1 once with one dualing Bittercuts and I loved it. Agreed about Fighters. A low int Fighter with Tidefall is godly when you stack up all the dps bonuses they get. Eder is perfectly built for that so I've never mained a Fighter as a PC but I probably will some day. I'd probably spec one for St Rumbalts or something and make everyone spend the whole game being prone.

Don't forget about Monks either. They're god tier at tanking, dps, and CC. I dunno how they are in Poe2 but in Poe1 they're a god damned force. You can even make them own at ranged dps with long pain.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SunAndSpring posted:

Carnage no longer procs on-hit effects :(

Frenzy no longer hides health- except for the Berserker subclass.

Other than that, they play similarly. Combat is much better in general.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

The biggest change is that Carnage isn't an additional attack made at everyone in range, its instead a burst of raw damage centered on the target. (This is, iirc, similar to how they nerfed retaliation in PoE1). The practical upshot now is that Carnage doesn't proc on-hit effects, apply status effects, or interact with other class abilities, all it does is provide AoE damage on-hit.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Early on in the beta, priests had spell restrictions similar to wizard specializations. Did that ever change? I'm trying to decide if I want to finally finish a priest run in PoE 1 and import that guy, or do another wizard and just dump Aloth in PoE 2.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can kind of see why the decision was made to stop carnage from proccing on hit effects, because a Barbarian hitting with a fighter's accuracy would be a bit nuts, but maybe you should be able to get an ability for single-class Barbarians that restores it.

Making my decision soon about what character I want to bring from PoE 1. Probably going to go with a Darcozzi marking Paladin and then convert them in to either a Paladin/Monk or Paladin/Fighter in PoE 2.

The Darcozzi subclass in Deadfire seems a bit poo poo though (Free Lay on Hands, -1 max zeal)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Carnage proccing on-hit effects would be an awesome high-level power

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

None of the paladin orders in Deadfire should have drawbacks anymore.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yay

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I ended up deciding a Chanter MC was too boring with Kana in the party and rerolled again as a Fighter because gently caress it. :suicide:

Here's hoping Deadfire Fighters are good and fun.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

And as far as pure damage goes, they also lose out to rangers, imo. Rangers do as much or more damage, but they do it from the safety of range, have better AOE damage with their piercing shots, and they add another body to your party with their pet.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

drgnvale posted:

Early on in the beta, priests had spell restrictions similar to wizard specializations. Did that ever change?

Yes, I believe they no longer barred from certain "schools" and now receive bonus spells based on deity selection. Which is great, because in terms of gameplay usefulness priests in Pillars 1 are cool and good. But within the fiction their powers were already pretty lame, they didn't additional restrictions piled onto that.

"Hi, my soul sings with the fervent believe in the power of gods. Oh, is that a paper-cut you have? No, I can't actually heal you, but I can make you feel less tired for a little while. The gods are pretty cool, right, my dude?"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rope kid posted:

None of the paladin orders in Deadfire should have drawbacks anymore.

Oh loving awesome. I'm suddenly really looking forward to seeing if Paladin/Cipher works well. Use the Paladin abilities to help boost melee cipher durability and to have abilities while focus charges. It might overlap with my plan to have Pallegina in my party 24/7 but I think I'll survive. The main problem before was that the only order that really fit with my character's background was Kind Wayfarer, which kind of had negative synergy with Ciphers.

I just need to see what kind of high-level abilties I'd be giving up first.

e:

2house2fly posted:

Carnage proccing on-hit effects would be an awesome high-level power
Seriously. Pair it as a capstone with a mutually exclusive significant boost to damage or a carnage-specific debuff or something.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 5, 2018

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I can only hope that Kind Wayfarer/Corpse Eater is powerful, yet conflicted.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is there a limit to how many spellholding items one character can have in Poe1? I had Eder equipped with Sanguine Plate, Swaddling Sheet, Shod in Faith Boots, and the New Pirate hat. All of those are supposed to trigger something when he's crit in combat. It seems like the Sanguine Plate won't proc though. The Shod in Faith boots/Swaddling Sheet do, and I think I've seen the helm proc, but never the plate.

Is there an order they would trigger in or are they supposed to all trigger simultaneously when he is first crit?

e: nevermind I think the item was just bugged. It wasn't showing up in his spellholding items, but after quitting out and re-loading the game I now see all 4 on crit items there. So it should work, though I'm still uncertain the order of how they're supposed to trigger.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 5, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I can only hope that Kind Wayfarer/Corpse Eater is powerful, yet conflicted.
Your journey has come to an end, friend, but your heart will travel on with me.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Lemon-Lime posted:

I ended up deciding a Chanter MC was too boring with Kana in the party and rerolled again as a Fighter because gently caress it. :suicide:

Here's hoping Deadfire Fighters are good and fun.

I think you get to choose a new class or classes in Deadfire anyhow.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I kind of want to make a new character for deadfire, my old character was from the ixamitl plains, and while I liked the concept of them, I felt like they weren't really a thing in the story compared to some of the other backgrounds.

did the first game had dialogue that referenced backgrounds?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Is there any more information regarding the character import in PoE2 of PoE1 characters I can read? Just want to know some basics, how far do I need to play PoE1 to be able to export/import? What will be exported/characters/items/etc?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TjyvTompa posted:

Is there any more information regarding the character import in PoE2 of PoE1 characters I can read? Just want to know some basics, how far do I need to play PoE1 to be able to export/import? What will be exported/characters/items/etc?

Only an endgame save's importable. Your choices come across, and nothing else. Almost everything can be customised in Deadfire without a Pillars save through the save generator in the options menu.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

My only remaining question about save imports is, what about characters that beat the game before the expansions came out? The events and decisions in the White March are very significant, and I'd hate to have a "lol whoops should've gone to Stalwart, the Eyeless came and pounded the Dyrwood into dust" note slapped onto my old character's save since he technically never did WM content.

Does anyone know if this has been answered before?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I hope barbs get something cool to make up for the carnage nerf cause that procing stuff was the only reason to bring one, imo.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Walrus Pete posted:

My only remaining question about save imports is, what about characters that beat the game before the expansions came out? The events and decisions in the White March are very significant, and I'd hate to have a "lol whoops should've gone to Stalwart, the Eyeless came and pounded the Dyrwood into dust" note slapped onto my old character's save since he technically never did WM content.

Does anyone know if this has been answered before?

The only way that can happen is the weird edge case where you finish WM1, but not WM2, as the rediscovery of the White Forge is the instigating event for the Eyeless waking up. So just finishing the base game would just lead to none of the Stalwart stuff ever having happened. Perhaps you won't be able to import saves where only WM1 was finished? I mean, the Watcher dies in the end if that happens. Or they'll retcon those saves in such a way that the Eyeless were defeated some other way?

Avalerion posted:

I hope barbs get something cool to make up for the carnage nerf cause that procing stuff was the only reason to bring one, imo.

Heart of Fury was one of the best abilities in the game, proc or no...

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 5, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kurtofan posted:

I kind of want to make a new character for deadfire, my old character was from the ixamitl plains, and while I liked the concept of them, I felt like they weren't really a thing in the story compared to some of the other backgrounds.

did the first game had dialogue that referenced backgrounds?

Yep! Unfortunately, Ixamitl has almost none from what I recall, so just bad luck there.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

I'm replaying PoE now but I can't take any pets in good conscious because Eothas gonna kill em all. Ropekid is a MONSTER.

Ravenfood posted:

Oh loving awesome. I'm suddenly really looking forward to seeing if Paladin/Cipher works well. Use the Paladin abilities to help boost melee cipher durability and to have abilities while focus charges. It might overlap with my plan to have Pallegina in my party 24/7 but I think I'll survive. The main problem before was that the only order that really fit with my character's background was Kind Wayfarer, which kind of had negative synergy with Ciphers.
I played around with a Kind Wayfarer/Soul Blade and it was awesome. I had better deflection than the sword and board fighter and his minimum damage with a morning star was twice as high as the fighters maximum damage with a mace.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

It's not very intuitive because you can haul around enough steel to deck out an endless army, but enough firewood for too many camping trips is a no-go.

It's because people who dont have the willpower to not rest-scum need to have their weak little hands held.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Obsidian should just make it once you enter a dungeon you cant get out until you finish the final encounter, gently caress the immersion IMO

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Without respawning mobs or random encounters, there is no reason to limit camping supplies other than the pathetic cries of people who can't help ruining their own fun. The only penalty for burning for your camping supplies is the tedium of the 4-5 loading screens it takes to go buy some more.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I think way more people find it fun to not be limited by rests than carefully plan out resource management. Personally I'm glad that Deadfire is trying to give play to both sides of the coin. My wife will spam rests because she likes empowered fireballs and I'll scrape by to save my good food buffs and not pay my greedy crew more than I have to.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
In PoE 1, what NPC classes have the opportunity to join your group in Story Mode? I already have Aloth, the Priest (Dunbar?sp), and the orc looking Chanter guy outside of Raedric's (karn?sp)
Just trying to find out so I can plan my abilities and party to complement them. Lv4 Barbarian as of last night.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Dennis McClaren posted:

In PoE 1, what NPC classes have the opportunity to join your group in Story Mode? I already have Aloth, the Priest (Dunbar?sp), and the orc looking Chanter guy outside of Raedric's (karn?sp)
Just trying to find out so I can plan my abilities and party to complement them. Lv4 Barbarian as of last night.

There's a companion of every class if you have the expansion. If not then you'll be missing barbarian, Monk and rogue. And you've already missed one (the best!) companion back in the first town you might want to loop back for.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't care what people prefer, but now the only "penalty" for resting all the time is tedium. Either make running out of supplies have a real consequence or get rid of the cap on them.

I think the beta does have unlimited rests though, right? I know I have mashed the button a few times but I didn't pay attention.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

All of them if you have the DLCs, though some come later in the story.

The first act, roughly where you are now, has the Wizard, Priest, Fighter, and Chanter. Eder is the fighter and is near the murder-tree in that first village. You probably already talked to him

The next set (Paladin, Druid, Ranger, Cipher) are available once you get your keep and have access to the big city, Defiance Bay, though not all of them are there. The Ranger is on the road to the city, the Druid is south of the road heading to the Dyrford town, the Cipher is in Dyrford itself, and the Paladin is in the city, Defiance Bay, in the southwestern-most district, Ondra's something-or-other

The third set (Monk, Rogue, Barbarian) are available once you unlock the DLC. A good level to go there is ~level 7. The Monk is in the village you start the DLC in. The Barbarian shows up sometime during the DLC as you advance the quest and will be in the main village as well, I can't remember the trigger. The Rogue will be in Galvino's Workshop, found within the DLC.

e:

bongwizzard posted:

I think the beta does have unlimited rests though, right? I know I have mashed the button a few times but I didn't pay attention.
Pretty sure you can, but it passes time which costs money and supplies. Also, you can apply food bonuses when you rest and if you rest, the food bonus will be lost, so you're supposed to balance out the value of the bonus you're going to lose by resting and the value of recovering per-rest resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bongwizzard posted:

I don't care what people prefer, but now the only "penalty" for resting all the time is tedium. Either make running out of supplies have a real consequence or get rid of the cap on them.

You can rest as many times as you like in Deadfire, but you can only remove injuries and restore Empowers if you have food. Hardtack is ubiquitous and plentiful, but you get no bonuses from it.

• Locked thread