Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Backing this for sure. The first one is totally my fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like voice acting but I'm also a bit impatient when reading masses of dialogue so I guess partial VAing is my preference. Sitting there trying to listen to the full voice acting for 8 different dialogue trees when talking to a party member is exhausting and I've kinda stopped doing it in games even if the VA is good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've ever done everything in Twin Elms. The problem is I max out on my level often long before getting there so there's no incentive to do them other than personal satisfaction I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I just pledged for the 150$ option :toot:.

I'm pretty confident this will be at worst as good as Pillars 1 (which I loved) and at best will blow that away. Obsidian never lets me down.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the only way multiclassing can work is by trading class features - swap sneak attack for spell levels or Faith & Conviction for Carnage. D&D's pseudo-point buy just doesn't work at all.

The only way d&d style (third edition+) multiclassing works is with prestige classes because doing like a level 5 rogue/5 cleric just makes you really lovely at both in those games and would likely have the same effect here if they followed suit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I really wish I had 5 grand to drop on the inn. Of course Ropekid and his devs would want to beat me with a sack of hammers because I'd want the dumbest inn possible. I guess that's why they put the restrictions part in quite clearly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
We already have an SA spell in the game with Tayn's Chaotic Orb

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

It was a fyad catchphrase for a while and I assume the spell was a nod to that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

So glad of the 5 party members limit, such a sensible design choice. If you think about it, the IE games only ever really had 2-3 proper party members anyway.

I'm warming up to PoE2 for much the same reasons, actually: fantasy South Pacific pirates is a pretty fresh setting and the plot hook of tracking down your wayward god/soul sounds like a lot of fun while giving us a lot of time to explore all sorts of sub-plots.

I like the setting well enough and the lore but the main plot of Poe1 is definitely the weakness for me.

The reason it was a hit for me anyways is the gameplay is still strong. I enjoy the combat and how tactical it is and enjoy leveling and gearing up in it. If they can take that gameplay and add a story that is more engaging they'll have hit a home run with me. I imagine most people that really like Poe1 are in the same boat as I am. They enjoy the game primarily for the gameplay more than for the story.

It's a bit of a weird situation to be in because most Obsidian games are usually great because of the story more than the gameplay. Alpha Protocol and Kotor 2 for example don't exactly have stellar gameplay systems (though they're fun enough) but they have good writing and fun stories. Not saying gameplay is necessarily a weakness of Obsidian's, but they've always been known for strong narratives.

I'm pretty excited for this one primarily because they already had good gameplay figured out for Poe1 so I expect them to only build on that and I know Obsidian is capable of creating an even stronger story/setting.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 27, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

So, I've been thinking about what save I want to use for Pillars 2. I always enjoy clerics/priests in fantasy settings, but Pillars kind of threw that feeling for a loop. Is there any argument to made for why the Watcher would serve the gods? Can you reconcile not rejecting animancy and still seeing a place for the gods?

That's good to hear, thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

The gods might not be true gods but they're still immensely more powerful than mortals and are programmed to try to fulfill their portfolios. So if you believe in what a god stands for it could still make sense to follow them even knowing the truth about them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It is possible - and perhaps even preferable - to not go the glass cannon route in Poe1 and have everyone in at least decent armor. People that are relying on bottlenecking probably have their backline in robes. Put them in medium or light armor and you won't have to babysit them quite as much, and the action speed slowdown isn't as dramatic as you might fear.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

I think it's fair and reasonable for anyone who doesn't like PoE's combat, especially low-level PoE combat, to be angry and not want to back Deadfire because we're starting over at 1st level. It's your money, after all.

Here is my perspective on this: I have been making CRPGs for a little under 18 years, starting with the original Icewind Dale. After that, Heart of Winter, Trials of the Luremaster, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights II, Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, and Pillars of Eternity with a handful of canceled projects over the years. I spend a lot of time watching people play the games I make. Some of them are complete newbies to the experience, some are hardened veterans, and most are somewhere in the middle. I cannot emphasize enough how easy it is for people (even very experienced people) to hit a *~ shelf moment ~* within the first hour of the game because the difficulty ramps more quickly than their ability to adapt and overcome it.

We're restructuring how classes progress, restructuring skills, adding multiclassing, and - in another $70k - adding subclasses. This is a very significant change to how characters are built and used, comparable to switching from 2nd Ed. AD&D to 3E. I do not believe it would go well if we plopped the player into character creation and asked them to select 7, 9, 13+ levels of abilities without the benefit of playing with any of them along the way. Even if we changed nothing fundamental about our core mechanics, we'd still be asking new players to make an enormous number of important choices blind. Doing such a thing in BG2 was significantly easier because most classes have few, if any, selections to make from level to level. By comparison, I helped out Mask of the Betrayer with encounter tuning. That's a nightmare in high-level 3.5 and the number of awful characters that can come out of making an 18th level 3.5 character from scratch is incredible.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, but I made these decisions not because I didn't learn anything, but because I hope I've learned a lot from my experiences over the years.

Bg2 is actually easier than bg1 to start off with for a brand new player because low level d&d is a nightmare. If you don't know to use sleep and command or what stats to roll you're going to get killed by the first wolf you see in bg1. BG2 is much more forgiving although your first real mage fight will curb stomp you badly until you figure out how to fight them.

Poe mostly avoided the bg1 pitfalls apart from the Eothas temple being an utter nightmare for low level pcs and it perhaps wasn't made quite clear enough that you have no business wandering in there without a full party and a level or two more under your belt than what you might have entering GV. Caed Nua is actually quite difficult as well - maybe too much for being the first plot area you're directed to visit. Although I haven't tried it on the lower difficulties in a while and I'm sure it's a touch more forgiving off of POTD. Spirits are assholes regardless of difficulty though.

Anyways that aside I think it makes sense to start at level 1 with Poe2 for the reasons you stated. Can we expect a higher level cap than what was in Poe1/Wm1/Wm2? I'm sure you guys will be introducing all kinds of new spells and abilities but I'd love to see level 9 wizard spells :toot:.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Citing BG2 as an example of choice presentation is, uh, not great

Like Bioware doesn't really do plot branching so much, what they do is extremely tight pacing that is very easy to play. That's why it's replayable. BG2 starts in the sweet spot of 2E leveling so that you can make a fairly dynamic character straight out of the box with little effort, and it drops you in the middle of a dense quest hub. Cut out Chateau Irenicus and it's about as pick-up-and-play as a CRPG gets.

Yeah Bg2 doesn't exactly have a ton of different ways to resolve quests. There is replayability I suppose in terms of different NPCs to use, but Pillars has that also. There are a lot of different banter possibilities. With the expansions there are 11 NPCS to choose from, and you can only have 5 in your party at one time. That definitely leaves room for replaying.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 28, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

to be fair I think being devoured by angry spiders is a pretty good indication that you shouldn't be there yet

angry spirits I think you mean. Or angry ratmen as well. gently caress those Skuldr kings, especially on POTD.

I don't mind the concept of encounter gated areas but it doesn't make a lot of sense to put one in the first town you visit. If they'd put that dungeon in say Esternwood or something it would be a bit clearer to the player that you should not be anywhere near that place until you get some more levels/party members.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh goddammit I forgot about this part of the replay

The most difficult choices in the entire game:

WTF should I pick for Durance and Aloth's spell mastery slots

I goddam freeze on this every time. Eldritch Aim? the armor buff? maybe barbs of condemnation? Will the AI cast these automatically?

Durance: Bless is always useful. Can't go wrong with + accuracy/damage. For his 2nd level spell mastery I like consecrated ground because it's one of the best healing spells in the game. For third I opt for dire blessing because woo + crits. Level 4 you want Devotions of the Faithful which is an absurdly powerful spell.

For Aloth I go with Slicken because it's my favorite spell in the whole game. So many enemies are weak to reflex and putting entire groups prone is a battle winning effect. Level 2 is a bit meh for Wizards but I usually go with the blinding spell there (or mirror image for defense). For level 3, you can go whatever. I usually go fireball. You might also go with Llengrath's for some per encounter defense. For level 4, it's Ninagauth's.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 28, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Per-rest never bothered me much in Pillars because the game's so generous with spells. A level 8 Wizard will already be able to cast 15 spells before she needs to rest. At level 16, you're looking at 31 spells per-rest with an additional 4 per-encounter. And that's not even counting all the spells you can accumulate from equipment, scrolls, talents, or what have you. Not to mention Wizards get Blast and Druids shapeshifting to help in fights that don't warrant any per-rest resources.

Paladin and Chanter can cover most of the Priest's utility. The only thing you'll miss out on are the status immunities (well, Chanter has some, but not all), but those can be covered with scrolls.

The big problem with per-rest for me is even with that large arsenal of spells it becomes a question of what I want to use from encounter to encounter. You don't want to get caught with your pants down when an actual tough fight appears because you've burned too many spells earlier. Conversely you don't want to get too beat up by regular encounters because you're not using enough spells.

That is less of a problem once you start getting access to per encounter spells but prior to that it's a tricky balance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

As far as invocations: the early summons aren't so great now that they have durations on them. The later ones are usable because the durations climb up to 30 seconds like the Drake and Ogres. Mid game you basically just spam the paralysis invocation, and it's really good. The white march invocations are okay. The chain frost one is not bad only cause of the DR ignore. The self-buff one just takes too long to matter. I don't think I ever tried the spore one a second time.

Anyway the big reason you take a chanter is for the level 3 phrase Dragon Thrashed. You're now doing pulsed AoE damage and things just melt. The white march phrases were good in theory but other classes already help you survive so much better that there wasn't much point to using them.

Dragon Thrashed is really, really, really good though. Alternate it with the fire sword chant.

The level 1 summon shadow invocation is still incredibly powerful even though the duration on it is short as hell. That thing stuns on hit and does tons of sneak attack damage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can't decide at all what type of run I want to prepare for Poe2. Samuel Clemens' idea of a powder burns Ranger sounds pretty appealing, but so does the idea of a Chanter tank w/ Dragon Thrashed or a power hungry Wizard. Decisions decisions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Yes, that is literally the point of the mechanic?

Of course, but unless you know what encounters are coming ahead of time you can unintentionally gently caress yourself very easily in a lot of areas. Oh whoops I rested twice trying to kill all these Vithrack and Spiders and now I'm hosed because I've got a big Mushroom boss to fight and I'm not at full strength.

For some areas Obsidian almost warned you a little bit by tossing in a resting supply that you can find in the dungeon, but there are some like that one where it's all too easy to screw yourself. In those situations I didn't find it a big deal to just say okay I hosed up and go back to town to buy some more resting supplies/potions before coming back, but I could see other players getting frustrated.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

But that is a fun part of the gameplay for a lot of us. But maybe people who are into resource management gaming are also ingrained save-scummers so situations like that are not super annoying.

I like the system, I'm just almost surprised Obsidian went with it because it's far tougher to balance encounters around it as opposed to something like Baldur's Gate where you can know that the player is full health/spells for every fight.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

It's the same system? Unless you mean the camp resources. Idk I'll take guaranteed limited resting over reload until I rest without getting ambushed by <whatever>. Assuming those are my choices anyway.

I personally like the buff stuff they introduced with resting. I hope they do more of that but with actual cool choices for the survival perks (I just always pick accuracy atm).

Yeah I'm referring to camp resources. With limited resting you can screw yourself such that a fight is unwinnable, whereas with unlimited resting you can make sure to be fully prepared for any encounter.

I like limited resting because it adds a tactical element to managing your resources, but it's definitely trickier to balance encounters around that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Walrus Pete posted:

Huh, that's more than I'd expected for most of them. Guess I got a skewed impression from my first character being a drifter.

Did you murder as many people as you could in true murder hobo fashion?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Rose-tinted glass effect, mostly. Same for BG1/BG2 too, you'll be hard-pressed to find arguments explaining why they are objectively good games instead of a piece of subjective reasons. That's fine, nothing is ever truly objective and everyone's entitled to an opinion and I don't care how somebody else has fun ; I just find this amusing.

BG1 you have a point, but Bg2 has some of the best gameplay of any rpg ever made.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

What do you refer to by gameplay? BG2 was and is great, but games have been getting better since, even just icewind dale 2 had better game mechanics. BG2 is one of my favorite games too but if you din't think PoE is objectively better in almost every way we might have to aggree to disagree.

This is what the torment guys did wrong with wasteland 2, in an attempt to be old school and recap the nostalgia they made an amazing game if it came out 20 years ago that is merely alright compared to where rpgs are now.

I don't agree that IWD2 has better gameplay. The encounter design and dungeons are done better in Bg2 than any of the other IE games. Is Poe objectively better? Hard to say. Bg2 has it beat in terms of encounter design and dungeon design and it has it beat in sheer content which it has a ton of (and almost all of it good).

Poe has a better actual combat system and more interesting lore. Both are re-playable due to a large number of options for character/class as well as party members.

On balance I'd rate them pretty similarly, which if you know how much I love bg2 (probably played and beaten it 20+ times) you know is high praise.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

IWD EE is unbalanced trash for starters. The BG2 engine and classes do no favors to it.

But compared to BG1 which was just sort of clumps of monotyped monsters or BG2 with monotyped monsters backed up by a mage, IWD encounters had a focus on varied monster role in dungeons with chokepoints disquised as things other than doors. It also wasn't afraid to have a little fun like the lich encounters and the penultimate boss being that rear end in a top hat merchant from the beginning with a pocket full of wands of lightning bolt. Its basically the heritage where TOB, IWD2, and eventually POE got their basic encounter philosophies from.

I'm not sure what Bg2 you played but Bg2 has you fighting a wide variety of monsters and opponents, many of which have different resistances/immunities/abilities. Fighting a Beholder is much different from a Lich is much different from a Dragon.

e: I don't want to derail this with BG talk though so for content I can't wait to see what the prestige classes are. The Ranger one sounds badass.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 30, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

BG2 is a puzzle game disguised as an RPG. Doubly so if you're playing with SCS.

A very pretty puzzle game, though.

Speaking of puzzles I don't know if Ropekid touched on this anywhere but I'd love to see some more puzzles in Poe2. There's a few conversational puzzles in Bg2/Tob that are fun to do. Tyranny had some of those as well with the Spires.

Can't think of too many off hand in Pillars but I'm short on sleep from last night so maybe my brain is just mush.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with puzzles is they're always a jarring change in gameplay. You're tootling along face-blasting goblins or whatever and suddenly you have to stop and think about rotating the alphabet or what walks on five legs in the morning. So you google that poo poo blast through and move on.

Or you don't and you spend the next five hours trying to figure out what seven different puns on the word "wind" mean.

From what I remember Darklands had a system of rotating puzzles so you weren't playing the same dungeon every time. But still puzzles.

I'm the massive loser that sits there trying to figure them out. But I love games like Legend of Grimrock so getting some puzzles in my RPG experience is my fetish.

As for performance issues I've never had those in Poe1 apart from the horrific loading times.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

Honestly would skip ogre druids. If you climb down to the dragon level through the death pit you can unlock the shortcut back up by just killing a few xaurips. Nothing really lost.

If you simply must fight them, slicken and confusion spam is advisable. So is herding them into a choke point and aoeing them with everything you have.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Started a Bleakwalker run that I think I will go max rear end in a top hat with - at least to everyone else. I don't plan on losing party members though I may sacrifice those I don't plan on using to the pool. Kinda curious how it will import into Poe2.

Gonna use Bittercut to really exploit that +corrode damage Bleakwalkers get.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NotALizardman posted:

I did a similar run, went and fully enchanted and Durgan'd Bittercut, and then used the mold on it. Double Bittercut was pretty effective!

Yeah I think I'm going to use the mold to go for double Bittercuts if I get the chance.

I created a Cipher to tag along with myself until I get a full party. I forgot how damned powerful they are. Whispers of Treason is so good. I might just keep this PC Cipher around and feed Grieving Mother to the pool :v:.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

oswald ownenstein posted:

What about naming banshees something unpronouncable?

That's not their name that's just the words that come out of your mouth the first time you fight one and realize what assholes they are

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Good to know that there's a respec. I have a horrible tendency to overthink making characters in RPGs to the point where I end up feeling frustrated, and slightly retarded.

Key thing to know with rogues is when the target is you can sneak attack when an enemey is Blinded, Flanked, Hobbled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Prone, Stuck, Stunned or Weakened, or when you target it within two seconds of combat starting (aka from stealth).

So basically you want to either be flanking or assigning those negative status effects all the time so your rogue can hit like a truck. Your teammates can give you some great synergy in that regard. You can for example have your fighter knock a dude prone so your rogue can sneak attack, or have your wizard disable a dude so your rogue can sneak attack. Rogues are arguably the most team oriented class in the game after Priests because of how much they rely on the rest of the group in order to maximize their own effectiveness.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Entropy238 posted:

Fire Godlikes and Moon Godlikes are definitely worth it under certain circumstances. For example, the Fire Godlike retaliation racial synergises with the Monk's Turning Wheel, Lightning Strikes and Raw wounds lash so at high levels and with scion of flame will hit dudes for anywhere between 80 – 110 damage every time they hit you. Moon Godlikes are always useful to have the extra healing around, especially on a tanky kind of character where they're not going to "miss" a step e.g. 100% health to 25% health.

Though I think helmets tend to be very good, like the Maegfolc Skull which gives +4 Might and Unbending per rest. It seems to me that some of the really good helmet properties in the game were an attempt to disincentivise cheesy godlike builds.

Yeah I did a Fire Godlike Monk run on POTD and didnt' regret it. The DR was nice. That character could accumulate wounds like no other since I went with 18 con + heavy armor. His DPS was still exceptional with swift strikes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
With my Monk I just turned on Swift Strikes and then hit my Torment's Reach button endlessly. Once I got the Clone ability I used that too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think your Kana might be possessed. You should get him to a doctor. Or a priest.

I've had what he said happen to me once before too. I don't know if it's a bug or what but Kana would not chant at all regardless of whether I turned his chanting on or off and I hadn't changed his AI or anything like that. He just....wouldn't chant. It was bizarre.

I've only had it happen once or twice and not in a long time so I have no idea what caused it, but it has happened.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Trying to think of what combinations would even be worth it. As a Vancian caster it would almost never be worth it to miss out on spellcasting levels. And some of the higher level abilities added in Wm1/2 are really good, so taking longer to reach those would also not be advisable.

Guess I'll have to see how it plays out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

An even split wouldn't be a great idea with any class in PoE because high-level abilities are so strong. Of course, we don't know how PoE2 will handle class advancement, so we'll have to wait and see.

If it were possible in Poe1 I don't think even dipping into other classes would generally be all that worth it. The higher level abilities are just too good to make up for grabbing a level or two of sneak attack or a gimp pet etc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

It would probably be too much effort for little reward, but one thing I always find a bit lacking about classes like bard/chanter/whatever Siren is in Tyrranny, is music or sound when they use their abilities.
Bards are supposed to play music and chanters chant, but we never really get to hear that in-game.

Chanters do make some chanty sounding noises when they use their invocations. I think when they use their chants too, though it's a bit harder to hear those depending on how high you've cranked your music volume.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Multiclassing only really worked well with Prestige Classes, but the unfortunate thing about those is they were in almost all cases superior to a single class. So you might have to multiclass a bit to qualify for a Prestige Class but once you got that class you were so strong.

Take Eldritch Knight for example. You needed to be able to cast I think level 3 (or is it 4?) wizard spells and have a base attack bonus at a certain rate to qualify for it, meaning you'd have to mix fighter and mage levels. But once you qualified for the class you could start taking it and what Eldritch Knight did is it gave you the attack progression of a fighter type class but with virtually the same spell progression. In other words, all the perks of a fighter with just about the same spellcasting power a wizard gets. So why ever go for a base class Wizard? There wasn't much reason to.

And most of the Prestige Classes in 3e were like that. Small sacrifices until you qualified for them and then huge power gains once you did.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

So I picked up PoE at release but burned out doing the whole "restart 20 times making different characters" thing. Also a personal taste thing, I just never really liked the reincarnation as a fact thing but whatever.

Anyway, finally picked it up again, and I'm really enjoying it. The story's finally clicking with me a bit as I finish Act 2. Really, though, Odd Nua is my favorite part, especially as I play Thorin, a dwarven Goldpact Knight with low intelligence and high resolve.

Should I pick up the DLC's now and play those before finishing, or is it pretty much the same if I complete the original story first then do the expansions?

I'd pick them up now and play them before finishing. You get great items in them and they are well designed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting homogenization from that. Imagine if wizards, druids, and priests had weaker spells that were all per-encounter by spell level and that's pretty much what you have. Most martial classes are using abilities from a common resource, "traditional" casters are using level-segregated resources, and chanters/monks/ciphers are using resource pools that build up.

My only fear about such a system is with no downsides to using the same abilities every encounter then it might become like Tyranny where you just hit your best abilities every fight and don't have to worry about resting.

It will be important to have varied encounter design and a wide variety of useful spells/abilities to avoid that pitfall. Poe1 was pretty good on both fronts. Tyranny failed on them because there was so little variety that almost every fight played out the same way.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ladolcevita posted:

PoE2:Adventures of a Caster

Fight 1: fireball the poo poo out of everything
Fight 2: fireball the poo poo out of everything
Fight 3: fireball the poo poo out of everything
Fight 3: fireball the...wait, fire damage immunity...ice storm the poo poo out of everything
Fight 4: fireball the poo poo out of everything
Fight 5: fireball the poo poo out of everything
Fight 6: fireball the poo poo out of everything
Fight 7: Ask self: "Am I playing the sequel to PoE or the sequel to Tyranny or some random MMO?":
Check the back of the proverbial box: it definitely does say PoE2, spiritual successor to the IE games.

The road to cooldowns is paved with the blood of Jack Vance

The IE games basically were per encounter with their abilities/spells because there was no penalty to resting after every fight. So in that sense Poe2 is even closer to the IE games than Poe1 in that regard. And has been mentioned there is nothing stopping you from going back to town to grab more rest supplies to complete a dungeon in Poe1. The per rest mechanic is a handicap but it's an easily solved one.

I just hope that the per encounter nature of Poe2 doesn't preclude having powerful effects to play around with. Can Priests still get a spell like Minor Avatar or Crowns of the Faithful when you have to consider that they could cast those every fight? I don't know the answer to that. Ciphers get monstrously powerful spells and are per encounter but they're limited by generating focus. The Vancian three have no such limits.

I guess the empower mechanic is maybe the answer to that. Will have to see how that plays out.

• Locked thread