Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Monks are super active and strong and I will always recommend them.

This but million times more. The only "problem" is (if you see having two fist murder dudes in your party as a problem) Zahua is a very cool NPC and his monkness is better due to him having a dialogue instead of getting bogged down by GODSGODSGODSSOULSGODSSOULSGODS.

Monk is melee lovers mage. You will have just the right amount of actives and toggles throughout the combat. Almost all abilities are x / per encounter or fueled by wounds. Monk abilities have the best impacts and boy I will never get tired of punching people into stone walls and watch them bounce back to explode in gibs.

The flying kick is also a veeery nice cone AoE and puts out some crazy numbers if you gather baddudes in a narrow passageway or a bridge. I think Zahua made an entire bounty group explode after a single jump kick with some proper buffing and :catdrugs: over the bridge of Longwatch .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Man... I've got a new game going as a cipher which is nice... but you're really making me want to restart as a monk.

:getin:

I have to repeat the advice that has been given about armor. Monk really works with the heaviest armor because you want low deflection / high DR+Endurance to keep yourself in the combat. The naked punchdude is also a viable option but you will be already mega fast with Flurry of Blows (and the +Lightning Damage talent owns) anyway.

The naked punchdude makes you select your targets and constantly heal which adds some :effort: , some lighter armors can also work but I prefer heaviest plate I can find and add Slash or Pierce proofed, Durgan Proofed and +2 Might or +2 Con (Sanguine Plate is my favorite for Monk).

I've read that many people pick Torments Reach (the talent that makes you attacks ranged) but I rather prefer bashing heads in up close. Pop a Potion Of Power, Deleterious Alactrity (which also has a benefit of giving you wounds just by itself) and watch the show. The Stunning Fist is also like very reliable and don't get me started on super sayin twins.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Torment's Reach isn't really a ranged attack. It's a powerul melee ability that hits everything in a cone in front of your character. Lots of people pick it because if you're diligent about using Wounds, you can do DPS on par with a Rogue while still retaining the Monk's tankiness.

Yes I got it mixed up, the ability I mentioned was called "The Long Pain" which is a White March 2 addition: "The monk becomes capable of projecting force from his or her fists, inflicting damage at a long range.". Torments Reach is awesome and should be use all the time because making people explode in groups is super fun.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I dunno, I love Durance as the rambling drunken uncle of the party and owning him with dialogue slam dunks is very fun. I think of it like having to work with someone you can barely tolerate and only because he has some useful skills he gained somehow bu still make them shut the hell up since you're the boss.

Yes yes I know I can hire some faceless rear end in a top hat or make my PC a priest but I like the bitterness of him over everything

Come to think of it, PoE maybe had some bland NPC's but it also had no Sera or cameltoe-sexbot-waifu levels of cringe worthy ones, too. I only find sex pervert midget a bit jarring every now and then but that would be nitpicking on my part.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I am on board with subclasses and multiclasses having distinct names (this will be also helpful when people trying to share builds). I don't think I will fiddle with multiclassing feature much, never was a big fan of melee / caster combinations but AD&D had some neat character concepts when it comes to multiclasses or single class kits having their own gimmicks (the precursor of Prestige Classes)

What I mean is, I like multiclassing when you end up with something mechanically and thematically different when combining two or more classes. gently caress y'all, Prestige Class system was great and you can suck my Dread Pirate's massive cutlass all day long <:mad:>

From what I read, multiclass combinations are not going to have something unique just base class abilities which is a bit of a bummer but nbd, yo.

What I really loved about PoE was the very small details like being able to loot different coins. I know it accumulated as coppers, which was handy, but I loved it when I can start to asses roughly how much money I got from a chest by counting different currencies in my head. It was a really, really nice touch for me because I used to describe coin types and materials to add flavor like "these coins were minted by the Duke of somewhere" and make them look for merchants to exchange different coins with gems (usually accepted by alchemists) etc. It was nice to see my players saying things like "Lets go and dump these old ancient silver coins to the merchant in Sembia, he loves that stuff and maybe he pays extra".

:goonsay:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Avalerion posted:

It's something you have to commit to from the start and know what you are doing or you'll end up with a broken character. And if you do know what you are doing, you'll end up with a broken character too, just from the other side of the power spectrum. :D

Are you implying that people don't spend their early teens and 20's non stop reading rulebooks and cannot line up at least 10 prestige class paths without even thinking? What kind of casual hell is this?

*sweats mt. dew uncontrollably*

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

If your backline doesn't turn into a hugeass stealgar/bear/moose with razor sharp claws the second someone walks past your tanks, I don't know what to say to you guys.

But, I'm glad that fighters getting something exclusive to them and the mechanic is becoming less jarring. Also, maybe name some talents and/or spells a bit more clearer to reflect what they actually do. Into The Fray is a very good example to that, at first I thought it was some kind of charge skill that makes you dive into the battle but it was a ranged pull instead (reading is :effort:, ok?).

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

cgfreak posted:

Wizard question: does Citzal's Spirit Lance count as a weapon when you attack with it? Ie does it benefit from Weapon Focus: soldier? I wanna try a melee Wizard because the thing is just so drat strong.

IIRC all summoned weapons (Draining Staff, Minor Blights or Spirit Lance) count as universal so they benefit from any Weapon Focus but someone might correct me on that. Melee Wizard is certainly a thing with Blast / Piercing Blast talents counting for Lance too. Pop some potions, Citzal's Spirit Lance + Citzals Martial Power = dead baddies. The Draining Staff is also a murder machine on early levels, so , :getin:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 22, 2017

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I have to confess that I will be the dullest person to have all single classed party members all the way through.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

AFAIK, Blast doesn't affect Citzal's Spirit Lance. The weapon just innately comes with its own AoE attack. Kind of like a mini-Carnage..

That might be the case, yes. I always assumed blast modified the lance because I always took Blast talents with Aloth.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Robutt posted:

After several failed attempts at getting into Pillars 1 (I always somehow manage to get myself burnt out around Defiance Bay), I'm really trying this time to get myself through it. But I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on which PC background and party composition makes the most "sense" story-wise? I'm big into the story and role-play aspect of these games, not so much the combat, and what has stopped me before is that it has felt very weird to me how some party members just join your party for no story-related or even, really, good reasons. I'm not sure if that makes any sense to anyone but me but I'm basically just trying to gage what party of people (including the PC) is best to take through the game for their interaction with the main plot.

This has been answered but here is my two cents (you san safely assume that below text would be :goonsay: as hell) :

Before even buying the game I knew I will be playing a human Kind Wayfarer paladin because I am a dullard. I don't like godlike as a concept for the main PC, or any other fantasy race for that matter. I don't like characters that aren't created by me and non human in general hence why I was always distant to the Witcher series (I really wish if we get a game that allows creating a new witcher from other schools and I'd play the gently caress out of that).

So, human Kind Wayfarer paladin. I chose the Deadfire Archipelago because I am a huge fan of Earthsea but I think Old Valia fits the theme of "someone leaving his past behind and setting up for a new life". As a background I go with Soldier or Farmer but usually stay away from aristocrat or philosopher backgrounds.

My party is Eder, Aloth, Zahua, Durance, Grieving Mother / Kana and pervy midget man. The Aloth, Eder, Durance trio feels like the most involved combination with the main quest and my character in general.

I think like this:

I have survived: Two certain death super natural events, one Glanfathan raid that left everyone I know so far murdered, survived a goddamn deathtrap dungeon, a bear infested cave, a bandit camp and reached to a "civilized" land where they hanged awful lot of people and the sleazy constable greeted me told some weird as gently caress story about soulless babies. I am going to trust this pipe smoking fella whom looks like a veteran, a mage who is also treated badly by the locals and, well, this bearded guy with flaming staff that smells like compost until I can make it out alive. Then I can look into that nightmares and awakening stuff I guess because that robed dude looked like he is up to no good and someone has to set things straight for the common folk, yo.

I especially can't seem to part with Eder and Aloth due to severe bromance happening with both of them.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

* whispers 'turn-based' softly as the wind *

*puts index finger between teeth suggestively*

(I am kinda glad that Torment is turn based now, I hope PoE 2 will be less clusterfuck-y with 5 duders)

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

There are gonna be some deaths from nerds locking up with indecision and starving at their keyboards.

Quoting this for future me restarting/replaying the game a trillion times.

I'm really a sucker for details like this, like how PoE and expansions had different forms of currency like fish bones, diferent coins (and even the fluff for those) and valuables but at the mean time convinenetly pooled them into coppers.

I wonder if you get different class names based on your primary choice or they are all the same for those combinations. I mean, if you get a Barb primary and Paladin secondary you get a Fanatic but wonder if it is the same in case of Paladin primary and Barbarian secondary. In both cases, that makes a shitload of class names, yo.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Avalerion posted:

My "issue" with monks is how due to their "get hit to do stuff" thing the seemingly best thing to do for them is to ignore deflection and instead strap them in plate for high DR, which doesn't mesh with my idea of what a monk should be thematically. Wounds also clash with my preffered playstyle of heavy cc and enemy lockdown.

I got my rear end handed to me so many times when I read about strapping on heavy DR Armor and going hog wild and I feel the same. I tried to keep Zahua in his hobo clothes but in the lategame he just folds over against pretty much anything.

Yes, I understood what Obsidian meant to do here, breathing a fresh air into old staples and I appreciate it for the most cases (lettting you sneak attack on pretty much anything, while feeling a bit game-y, was a brilliant decision for that class) I feel like the half naked dude punching people in the face is still my favorite.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

So I got about fifteen hours in on my Wizard and like the game but not the class. I think I'd enjoy a Merle class more; any recommendations if I want to kinda Tank?

Thanks all.

Paladin is a good all around melee with the side of tank and really good support/heal. It has butans to push and keep you occupied, you can tank reasonably well (or even main tank with full on defense/dr) but the Flames of Devotion 2H Kind Wayfarer is my favorite so far.

There are really amazing 2H Swords and Estocs in the game you can get your hands on relatively early and nothing beats instagibbing your enemies into fiery chunks with single FoD. Not the most AoE happy character until you get the flaming aura (uh, lvl 12-13 ish) but Kind Wayfarer talent The Sword and the Shepherd gives you a nice group heal when you use FoD and god knows I'm a massive dork who is a sucker for goody-two shoes Paladin types (the Darcozzi Paladini has more fire related talents but I like my wandering greatswordhobo).

Fighter tanks are literally unkillable with pretty much minimal effort and the 2H Fighter can be as tanky as his 1H bretheren. Downside is, Fighters don't get fun talents until a bit late (Charge is super fun with 2H) and one of the best AoE talent (Clearout) is 3 per rest :negative:

Monks are pretty fun, lots of butan pushing and fun skills. Roundhouse kicking wizards into walls and watch them bounce back and explode into meat chunks can never go out of style, you get a pretty solid AoE and even ranged punching. One of the capstone talents is going super sayin and splitting into fire/ice twins of you and filling every inch of your enemies body with gnarly fists and if that doesn't sound fun, I don't know what to tell you.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

That Multiclass and Sub-class name list...

Welp, looks like my first month or three is going to be spent trying out different builds and playing the tutorial over and over again (which wasn't not too different than my firs PoE experience when it first came out).

Thanks, Josh. (game when?!)

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Furism posted:

With regards to portraits, all I want is that the generic ones match the facial hair and hair cut you can pick. My guy needs to look like his portrait god damnit. Yes even if he wears a helm.

Are you...me?

My :spergin: is so deep that I need my character portrait to match my character as well, not just the model. The default "ragged beard hobo guy with tattered cloak" is perfect for my Kind Wayfarer. :allears:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

My 2018 resolution is to finish this game before second one got released :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The question is: Am I a bad dude enough to finish PoE 1+ DLC finally? While My heart resides with my Kind Wayfarer main, all these "ships, islands and pirates" talk make me roll a Duelist Hat tottin' Rogue for PoE 2.

• Locked thread