Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

CVE posted:

Hey ropekid, is there any intention on opening other ways to pledge (PayPal, direct bank transfer and their ilk)? Don't really have a credit card these days because it just isn't used in Germany all that much and the one I had for registering here is long gone as I didn't really use it and didn't want to pay the fee.

Would be nice if I could support your effort because I appreciate it very much. Still I can understand if it would be too much work for not much pay off on your part.

Has Germany gone cash only? A debit card via Visa/Mastercard will work just the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I realized, starting my replay here, that I have real mixed feelings about the Endless Paths. I love having the huge dungeon to explore, and it feels legit epic. On the other hand, I can't help but feel the game as a whole would have been stronger if all the manpower and hours to make the maps of the Paths had been poured into sidequests and extra content spread across the whole game.

I think that's one of the reasons they're being a bit more restrained with the stretch goals this time. The Endless Paths was a great way to get lots of exposure but oops now we've got to focus all this dev-time into a very narrow chunk of the game.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

more ghosts imo
maerwald's memories take form and attack you, there could have been something like that with your own memories, maybe?
turn all the backer npcs into ghosts, get quests from ghosts, have other npcs get uncomfortable standing around while you're talking to their dead grandmother, the dyrwood is supposedly sitting on a lot blood, both from the colonization and the war of independence: get swept up in a ghosts still fighting each other, try to buy something from a shop only to get in trouble with law when you leave because it turns out you weren't talking to the present owner, but the last owner who was murdered by the current guy
to what extent are the people living today culpable for the actions of their predecessors? i think there was a lot of room to have really had fun with the whole 'living history' conceit, especially in the context of post-colonialism, i mean, the whole artificial gods and reincarnating souls thing is kind of the ultimate extension of that, right? but there's not really enough there to pull all the pieces together into a whole

I think something like that could have sold the whole "going insane" bit better without penalising the player the way Mask of the Betrayer's Soul Eater mechanics did. Have you enter an area and see a scene from a past life, have discussions with people who aren't there, fight a battle with seemingly real people only for it to be all a hallucination of your soul memories and everyone giving you the side-eye. As the story goes on more and more moments happen. I liked seeing all the ghost people at the start of the game right after the intro but that stopped happening all too soon.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Weird thing about romances as stretch goal is you'd think if they were doing them they'd make them to be essential rather than just an afterthought. I like romances in games so hope they get in either way, though.

Maybe they'll be Saints Row 4 style romances...

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

After seeing that world map with the boat I want one of the DLCs to be a self-contained Pirates game. Create a character and go about looting and sinking ships, then trading the loot back at the docks.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Have it be animancered so you can talk to it and it's really into bdsm.

Make it have the soul of the most annoying/poorly thought out backer NPC submission.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

So how does the game deal with shop-theft failure? After I fail to steal something it looked like you are forced to murder the shop's guards and owner. Is there no non-final ways of dealing with theft failure?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Why wouldn't you just reload if theft fails?

I'm not the most "verisimilitude" guy ever, but even to me it feels overly gamey to reload a bunch of times to steal something if my only recourse is to murder everything in sight if it goes wrong. A simple "get out of my store" and worse prices in future would be good. Just because I'll happily slaughter enemies in a dungeon doesn't mean I want to murder everyone I see in town because they spotted me trying to be a bit light-fingered. It gets even worse late-game when it's obvious suicide to go up against your armed and armoured character who got spotted pickpocketing 3 gold pieces.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Was that filmed in a store-room or was it just weird lighting? Also I love the little bit of music right at the end of all these videos.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Furism posted:

It becomes really fun when they mix 0 and O and l and i, depending on the font.

I enjoyed typing in my NWN2 key with its miniscule font. Was that a W or VV?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I think Pillars is one of those frustrating games where the data is packed in such a way that updating a text file to fix a typo requires redownloading the entire 900mb text archive.

I think the update adds a new vendor with some Deadfire themed items, a couple new portraits, and some external stuff like the soundtrack. Nothing super major.

I'm pretty sure that's partly Steam's fault - it doesn't just download a diff of the file, if there is a change to a file it downloads the whole thing again which means large resource files cause this problem.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They need to photoshop every portrait to have a variety of skin and hair colour options damnit.

Maybe a shader so the hair can be coloured to whatever you choose.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Popete posted:

Started a new game since it's been over a year since I last played this. I decided to roll a Wizard this time but maybe that wasn't the best idea. It seems I can only use 1 spell per rest? Is that right or am I missing something? I shoot of my magic missile and then everything else is disabled.

Have you equipped a grimoire? Also did you put spells in the grimoire? There should be a big roman numberal on your action bar that you hover over to see your spells.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

So what's going on the inventory? The item category selection buttons seem to work as toggles now and that's extremely annoying.

Also for the love of God just please turn off the "fast mode engaged" or whatever the gently caress it says, fast mode is always going to be on, I don't need to be reminded of the fact constantly.

Every RPG needs Fast Mode. I use Cheat Engine in games that don't have it to up them to 2 or 3 times speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Nobody likes their character being killed outright in a fight. The health/endurance system eases the short term pressure of keeping all your characters alive (you can sacrifice someone in a pinch and they'll get right back up after the fight) but preserves the longer-term pressure of your HP slowly dwindling and feeling like you'll need to rest soon to restore your resources. The fact that sooner or later you'll have to rest also means you feel less pressure to hoard your spells and abilities, since there's no point leaving a good spell on the table if you'll have to rest after the next fight anyway

I agree. The combination of health/endurance and no combat experience made me OK with people being knocked out as long as I won the fight. It feels better having people get knocked out rather than "killed" and then getting up anyways, although gameplay wise it's not much different to being killed and waking up with 1 health point.

• Locked thread