Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CottonWolf posted:

I strongly appreciate the Vela shout out in that update. Everyone should steal the orlan baby.

Now that we know we're getting an actual direct sequel...

Yeah stealing the baby just has too many potentially interesting consequences.

I was worried when people were talking about multiclassing but subclasses sound great. I want whatever Druid subclass lets me be a psychotic furry murderblender better/more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm confused, they're implying there's multiple romance options but no one is going to pick anyone other than Eder. Seems like a waste of dev resources imo.

Vermain posted:

I assume that sub-classes are like what you got in BGII, where you could be a Druid with a werewolf shapeshift and special powers or whatever. They'd take the basic conceit of the class and give it some unique features in exchange for weakening some of its core abilities.

Ropekid's write up on subclasses explicitly compares them to BG2 kits yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

It's not just that, as discussed in the last page less than half the people who played PoE got out of the first act, which takes like, two hours to do tops. The combat in vanilla PoE, which is mostly low level and mid low level, is unredeemable trash full of copy pasted mobs you beat by tanking and spanking. The addition of scripts exposed the problem even more as now you don't even have to be awake to use your one or two per encounter abilities when you aren't just auto attacking. I didn't finish vanilla POE when it came out because the combat was so awful and I would not have played White March if I hadn't gotten it already for pledging so much into the kickstarter campaign and then heard it was actually really good.

I don't think you're "getting" the problem with starting at level 1.

Okay.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

we'll put her on the prow of the boat

Well now I'm going to be mad if this doesn't actually happen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Comstar posted:

Did PoE ever open up? I played multiple times to almost or just past the first city, but it seemed very liner to me, unlike BG1 and 2.

Also I hated the priest NPC, and I'd hit a wall at some point and the whole party would die multiple times and I'd restart later and hit a wall somewhere else.

I suspect I'm a bad player of the game, but I could never build a wall to stop monsters leaking through to hit the missile guys in the back line ansd my guys would get stuck in combat and not be able to hit the enemy back line.

That being said, I've backed this again - I hope the character creation has more call backs in the game - I liked the idea of being a Pirate who got chased out by his crew and had to go find a new home, but the game never really asked about it after the tutorial area.

It sounds like you basically never learned to use CC properly. A wall of meatshields is never really gonna be enough in any serious fight. You need to leverage your casters to take people out of the fight as needed.

As for the priest, you're supposed to hate him. He's an rear end in a top hat. But he's also a well written rear end in a top hat with a good story hook.

Chairchucker posted:

Since they're (maybe?) redesigning classes the change I hope for is to not have mages and priests (was there anyone else? I don't remember) be limited casts per rest. That's the main reason I dropped Durance and Aloth, I couldn't be bothered with characters who needed to rest to be useful when everyone else was still ready to go.

You dropped one of the most powerful characters in the game. Priest spells are bonkers powerful force multipliers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I love PoE to death and I still would say that Obsidians aversion to tying their characters more closely to the plot/action for fear of alienating solo players or whatever does more harm than good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

Per-rest is bad because it's meaningless. It's like one of those incremental "clicker" games - click the spells to make baddies die, then click the rest button to refresh the spells, repeat for 60+ hours. Who wants that?

D&D had per-rest, but D&D also (originally) had extensive time-keeping - active or wandering monsters, calendar events, rival adventuring parties etc. A hard-failure time limit is an acceptable substitute.

Better yet, Wizards/Priests/Druids could probably do with a bit of a redesign anyway. They feel very similar in how they play, and the Grimoire mechanic just never really went anywhere.

If you think Druids play like Wizards or Priests you are really loving bad at playing Druids.

Neither Wizards nor Priests can rip dragons in half like a phone book as a raging lycanthrope.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

gently caress off. I'm talking about the basic way in which their spells function, not their gimmicks - all three are Vancian casters with the same (weak) spell rationing gameplay. By contrast Chanters, Ciphers and Monks are all mana casters with very different ways of generating mana.

Grimoires could do with unique bonuses, as suggested earlier, and greatly reduced capacity so I can't just load one up with all the good spells and leave it be. Maybe then I'd have to actually manage my Wizard's spells and swap between books once in a while.

Then say what you mean next time. That you, personally, think that the way their spells are derived overrides all interests is fine but to say that they play the same is objectively false.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tomorrows Ace posted:

could someone explain why Torment 1 is so widely revered? I was way too young to understand it when I played it and never got past Sigil.

The writing seems really 90s — a lot of edgy teen nihilism vibes. The art direction is reaaly bad and the combat sucks.

I know it has interesting narrative and roleplaying choices (the whole [Truth]/[Lie] options) and weirdo tim burton characters but it never made me want to go back and try playing it. I do remember reading and enjoying the novelisation though so what the hell do i know?

And doesn't it also have that hilarious and cringy description for prostitutes someone dug up in the last thread?

Nihilism is pretty much the opposite of Torments message so I'd say you were probably just young and lacking in the ability to meaningfully engage with media at the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Power Bottom posted:

So basically the same problem that Multiclass/Dual Class had in BGII. Got it.

Yes. Except somehow even worse :shepicide:

D&D multiclassing has always done more harm than good but I trust Obsidian.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If it's been a couple years the Stolen Baby should be more of a Stolen Kindergardener by now? :shrug:

Should be interesting in any event given that the baby was known to have a particularly strong soul, destiny child kinda set up.

I don't regret stealing that baby one bit. That was a lovely toxic environment :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rookersh posted:

On the multiclassing thing from the stream.

I have no idea which game it was, but I played at least one DnD based video game that did it 2nd Edition? style where you just say "I'm a Fighter/Druid now" and both leveled at about the same rate, but slower then if you had been leveling a Fighter or a Druid. I swear it was a 3rd Edition game, but I can't remember which one it was. It might have been a completely different system.

As a person who doesn't know every single class obsessively, and who had never played TT that was awesome for me. I was able to say "I want to be a dude what hits things but also casts spells." and the game supported that without any additional work from me.

Meanwhile every time I go back to Baldurs Gate I want to play a F/M of some sort because I don't like any of the wizard companions in either games. But I have no idea when is the best time to make those jumps because I just fundamentally don't understand how DnD works at such a level. Switch at level 3 instead of 4 and suddenly I lose out on two whole attacks in late game, or I miss out on x spell, or I miss out on x thing I can never get back ever. Go 4 Fighter and 6 Wizard instead of the superior 5 Fighter/5 Wizard because I don't know the behind the scenes numbers and suddenly I'll forever be down 100 health from where I could have been. It's a balancing act of what you want from each class, and I don't know each class well enough to know what I actually want from each outside of "Fightin'" and "Spells".

So I just never do that. I could get out a notebook and write it all out, but that's too much work for a game. I could use a guide, but that's too much work for a game. At a point I usually just shrug and play straight Fighter again.

So personally I would prefer a system that just has you level both simultaneously at the cost of xyz things ( far lower xp gain, might not get as many skills, can't subclass, whatever the downside should be. ). It's more simplistic, but also easier to get into.

On the other hand, I totally recognize why most people don't agree with me and would instead prefer greater control over when they switch to the other class to get the maximum benefit from both classes.

Maybe having some sort of "basic" toggle would be good? Where you design for the 3rd Edition rules, but you can also just admit you don't know/don't care to know and click a slider box, and the game will just swap your class at the ideal levels as determined by the devs?

Whatever you played was 2nd Edition, not 3rd. The multiclassing you describe existed in Baldur's Gate as well: The form of multiclassing where you pick two classes and they level approximately at the same rate is only available to non-humans in AD&D. Humans get Dual Classing, which is where you pick a time to "retire" the first class and level something else until you reach the same level as the old one, at which point it reactivates.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm still kinda torn on whether I want to import a save where I iced Llengrath or took her deal.

She's still kind of a murderous rear end in a top hat.

CottonWolf posted:

Dual classing remains a loving weird system. Magical class amnesia.

That's because dual classing is literally just the systematizing of a on the fly house rule Gygax did for a campaign he ran once. That's why it makes no sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Empowerment thing basically reminds me of Psionic power source classes in 4E D&D and their At-Will/Power Points paradigm.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

We're getting it, it just has the potential to be a lovely compromise. It's just a 'same thing but WITH MORE FEELING' button doesn't have quite the same feeling as say, popping your single-cast high level spell you've been saving for the right moment, and watching as the ice shards rain down on your enemy.

I'm open to it, I'll see how it plays. I trust ropekid, but some of the other stuff people are throwing out here sounds straight unfun/boring.

I mean, I understand Dragon Age is popular but I've always felt it was the Assassin's Creed of RTwP RPGs: a high budget mediocre game for mediocre people.

As someone who thinks Dragon Age is an incredibly flawed franchise:

You are a humongous tool and should take a good hard look at how much of your identity you have invested in what videogames people like and why.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MMOs did cooldowns and mana before any other RPG, it is said in the scrolls.

Also Halo was the first FPS of all time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

This is a thread about a nerd game on a nerd forum so you should really lay off the pedestal - or sucking up to Josh or whatever it is that you're trying to do

Not everyone is going to be thrilled about a ton of pretty huge changes to something they thought was good and only wanted some iteration on

I'm personally glad to see some others that are having their excitement downgraded. I was definitely in the poe1 + improvements camp and not the 'radically change tons of things trying to fix everything at once that was wrong with PoE1' camp

What I said was entirely warranted by his post.

Videogames are simply not important enough to warrant that level of tribalism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

why are you guys taking it so seriously

Because that kind of sentiment is really commonly posted without a hint of irony.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

A good way to cut down on the nomenclature is to just add "mind" as a prefix to all cipher combinations. Mind fighter, mind paladin, etc

$3 million stretch goal needs to be raising money to get rope kid a goiter and a lot of chocolate and rich foods so we can complete his metamorphosis into George Lucas

Why would you wish this on the poor man

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Octo1 posted:

Is it really necessary to allow for every combination? Why not just go with the ones that would have interesting synergy? No matter what you do, there will probably be character concepts that wouldn't work well in the current system. A cipher/wizard for example seems like it would have a hard time unless the cipher gains focus from wizard spell damage.

Honestly I'm inclined to agree. Would we, perhaps, be better off if only some multiclass combinations were supported?

Do we really need ALL combinations, or would the game be healthier for just focusing on the ones that make some degree of sense?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think restricting combinations would go over well, with veterans or newcomers. Even if it's not as inexplicably arbitrary as 2e racial restrictions.

It almost assuredly wouldn't no, but I suspect it would be better game design on the whole.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

I think I you're just safer with 2e style 'pick at creation' - that way you can skip clunky resourcing

I noticed that was trailing #2 on your poll but it's easier to balance and present to player

"Pick at creation" was never presented as having anything to do with the resourcing system, it's more presentation than anything.

This is because whether it's pick or creation or choosing which class levels to invest as you go has nothing to do with the design basis for the resource system in the first place: hitting the 75-85% efficacy level for multiclassing. If you made multiclassing something you selected at creation and removed the resource system, you would simply end up with all of the problems of 3rd Edition multiclassing all over again: An 8/8 Cipher/Wizard would just be a lovely Cipher and a lovely Wizard taped together.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 3, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Argh, thanks. Guess I'm hosed, then.

gently caress tempering anyway. All knowledge needs to be preserved. USED, maybe not, but preserved certainly. The alternative is just kicking the can down the road :colbert:

Or at least I find it hard to justify doing it as a Scholar anyway :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

I got the impression tempering was exactly that...just factoring in perspective to preservation.

Maybe so. It has been a while, and it's possible that the Watcher-side dialogues gave me the wrong impression.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

On the one hand I want to take the stat boost from dealing peacefully with Llengrath into PoE2. It is very nice.

On the other hand it offends me on a primordial level to leave a smug rear end in a top hat immortal wizard alive. Immortal wizards are never good for anybody.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

What would barbarian ciphers be called?

Anger Brain.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

I thought about it more and the only reason I think his assumption and actions around the hollowborn are stupid are because I'm comparing it to my current worldview in which people being killed for 'faith' is ridiculous. My characters worldview would not be like mine, because I can throw a fireball with my hands and my loving head is actually constantly on fire and all the other crazy poo poo in a magical world.

Maybe Raedric is actually closer to solving than anyone else, perhaps killing the hollowborn is actually the right thing to do. If it's some magic crazy that's going on then why do I automatically assume the best way to deal with it is logic and evidence.

Man, this is a good game.

On the other hand, one of the core conceits of Pillars of Eternity as a setting is that it is a world in which magic is a real thing that verifiably exists and can produce consistent outcomes. That's what animancy is all about : Once you have the basic assumption that the soul is a real, verifiably existent and measurable thing, where do you go from there? A magical renaissance/early modern period, in theory.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Dozens feel most apropos for a carryover to the next game. After all, they killed a god once already: they're the experts.

You weren't paying attention to who and what the Dozens actually are if you think that :v:

They're a band of anarchic muppets just using the name to look good. Zero actual connection.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 6, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There's no need to pay attention to that, I'm going by alternative facts on this one

I am undone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Can we get an update on how the end of PoE will change the nature of the Priest class?

In PoE1 the Priest start was a sensible choice. You were a Priest of Berath coming to the Dyrwood to serve the community. You were a slave that was very devoted to Magran and in turn they granted you powers to help others. You were a swashbuckling pirate that turned to Ondra for luck/sealife and she helped you in turn with tricks. You were a devotee of Eothas that still believed in the goodness of your deity and wanted to help others in the Dyrwood to prove Eothas was still something they should accept.

But with the reveal at the end of PoE, what is the Priest class going to be in 2? Having the class still fervently believe in their gods feels like it'd be a bit silly. Who is granting you your powers if you are standing against all the gods? Are you just choosing to work with the gods as a matter of convenience? Trying to gain power from them? What is a -Priest- in the confines of PoE2, knowing what we know.

Or is the truth of the Priest class that your powers were never given by the gods, but instead by you using the power of your own soul to help others, and you've got a particularly strong soul now.

Priests in PoE do not derive power from the Gods but rather from fervent belief in that God or what they stand for. It is merely one method of focusing the power of a soul.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Patch certification is also an expensive headache on consoles.

I'd guess a console port would require a whole Kickstarter/Publisher of its own, not a mere stretch goal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

No consoles! NO CONSOLES!

Remember Elder Scrolls! Remember how everyone still loves Morrowind! Remember the trash Oblivion and Skyrim became, mostly because they changed to address the console market!

Console fags have their final fantasy and Mario and whatever else stupid poo poo. RPGs are for PC gamers, just like RTS and true FPS are!

gently caress the revolution of dumb!

Morrowind was on the Xbox my dude.

Also you've based your identity on brand consumption and that is hella sad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Console Pillars is a bad idea because it's probably fiscally impractical given the scale of the project. And also because the control scheme is ill suited to this kind of gameplay.

Not because of idiotic console wars ideas of certain kinds of hardware having intrinsic moral worth.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Wikipedia says they were both released middle of 2002. Are you smarter than Wikipedia? You should go update that page then.

What was real complexity? Tell me your super hardcore oldschool RPG. Most of the people here will know Baulders Gate and Heroes of Might and Magic. Planescape:Torment gets a lot of love and one of the primary influence for Pillars.

What is your jam?

You've misread what they're saying. They're saying that Morrowind, as a whole, was a "dumbing down" of prior incarnations of Elder Scrolls. Ostensibly because it was going to be on both consoles and PC.

On a more realtalk note: It's possibly time to grow up and acknowledge that the faults of Oblivion and Skyrim have nothing to do with their presence or lackthereof on consoles, and a lot to do with personnel turnover changing the tone of the series. As well as poorly designed level scaling systems, among other things.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Airfoil posted:

Kooky hyperbole, yes, but he has a point. Making a game for console requires UI design which almost never turns out well for those of us who prefer mouse and keyboard. Not to say it's impossible to design something that works well with both controller and KB/M, but it isn't done often.

Depends on the genre, really. Oblivion and Morrowind do not really have meaningfully different UIs, for example. They made a conscious decision to present the game how they did, they were not forced to by technical limitations. Similarly, neither For Honor nor Dark Souls require any unique considerations translating to and from consoles and PC, at least not where UI is concerned.

RTS' and isometric RPGs are another matter altogether. Elder Scrolls was a really dumb example for him to pick when he could have just cited more level headed concerns like "the Priest spell list alone is way too many goddamn buttons to smoothly access via controller".

The Priest spell list is way too many goddamn buttons period :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

No, not at all. You're missing my point. Your second paragraph is the problem. If you don't think design decisions driven by console adoption made those games worse (such as dropping the detailed UIs perfect for displaying inventories, etc) then we do not agree on video games. Which is ok lol.

I know Morrowind was 'dumbed down' but I'm just trying to give an example of a modern RPG that didn't hold the console version as the almighty gospel. If the PC and console versions were developed in tandem then hats off to making the PC version really PC. Later versions of Elder Scrolls lacked exactly this (until we just put it all right again with mods, but that's hard work and took a while!)

Viewing things in binary is your problem. Does translating a game to consoles drive design decisions? Yes, sometimes. There is no hard and fast answer. It depends entirely on what the game is and/or aspires to be.

It's also worth noting that complexity has no intrinsic value, while we're at it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Airfoil posted:

I dunno about that. The Skyrim inventory is a 5-star example of how not to design for PC.

When I think about what was disappointing about playing Skyrim on PC, the inventory doesn't even really register.

Things like a duct taped together main story, wildly uneven sidequest quality, and boring exploration do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

No, I don't think it's as mysterious as all that. You can pull the 'well different situations means different things so generalizing is always bad' but the only people that use that are people that don't have enough life experience to know you can and should draw conclusions.

The complexity comment is entirely your opinion. It does have intrinsic value. It's not the only marker of a good game, in isolation perhaps not enough on its own.. but complexity does have intrinsic value. Observe the absence of it and tell me otherwise.

Complexity just means work, it means content. Maybe it's bad and dumb, but it's there. The alternative is nothing is there, so you're done and you're bored.

That's good. In Skyrim and Oblivion some poor PC dude had to write SkyUI or whatever it was so we can actually play the game.

It's not like this is controversial

I'm not really sure how you get from "some games require no special considerations when translated from console to pc or vice versa" to "you should not draw conclusions about things". This whole post reads like an emotional outburst, not a thought.

As for complexity, you're gonna have to show your work there. If complexity is intrinsically valuable, would you then say that it is always desireable to have more spells even if many have no tactical worth? Because that's something PoE2 aims to change, is to slim down the spell list by cutting the chaff. That is on its face less complexity. But it does not necessarily make for a worse game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I would suggest that it's impossible to make a "good" story while leaving any room for player agency.

Nah. You can have good stories in games it's just frustratingly uncommon. The issue is that what makes a good story in a videogame is fundamentally different than what makes a good story in television or writing.

Is it atmosphere and theme, as in Dark Souls? Dark Souls is ultimately linear and barely even have characters but the setting itself is so alive that sifting through the remains of that weird Gothic Buddhist world for scraps of clues as to how and why this world is the way it is provides a very compelling story for some.

Or maybe it's reactivity and choice, as in New Vegas? New Vegas offers the player plenty of opportunities to steer the fate of the Mojave and make some kind of statement about humanity, hopeful or nihilistic.

Or maybe both are legitimate approaches. Both can, and do, make people emotionally and/or intellectually invested in the fiction. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I like the idea of the ng+ system but I don't wanna be an undead vessel, that's weird

I mean I liked pirates of the carribbean too but that's a big character choice and what if my dude was in the "gently caress Berath" camp

To be fair, we more or less already knew we were going to be an undead vessel of sorts:

Eothas eats your goddamn soul in the opening :v:

• Locked thread