Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The sixth character is Itumaak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

rope kid posted:

What we're currently implementing is a targeting token that you can reposition at any time during the cast cycle prior to the launch. I think that an auto-pause just before the launch would also be very useful.

I love you rope kid.

I also love your new multiclassing system. I hope you keep it in and am looking forward to my shapeshifter druid / assassin rogue killing all your favourite NPCs in one hit.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

2. More portraits for your character, like Orlans get one for each subrace/gender and Godlikes don't get too much either. Also the ability to make a character that actually looks like the portraits. Same eye colour, hair and beard etc.

And the right hats! The black lady with the dreadlocks is clearly wearing a cowboy hat with a feather in it, the closest I can get in the game is a tricorn hat.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Do you see, rope kid? Do you see what happens when you don't update the next stretch goal properly? Tony Montana comes in and holds the thread ransom for more cocaine.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Yes. Longwatch Falls is for way later.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Janissary Hop posted:

I don't know if this has gotten any discussion here but RPG Codex did a poll of their users for their top recent RPGS and POE got the equivalent of a big fat 84:

In anticipation of "RPG Codex is just contrarians / trolls / hates Obisidan / hates everything made after 2001:" their number 1 recent RPG is AAA console action RPG Witcher 3 and the rest of their list is a pretty good mix of indie and mainstream titles. They also named Fallout: New Vegas one of their top ten CRPGS of all time in 2013. If you're disappointing these people who are desperate for anything CRPG then of course the kickstarter for a sequel game is going to have significantly less backers.

Notice that it has hands down the most votes. RPGC loves hating on PoE in particular.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'd like to make a feature request for an auto-pause option of "auto pause when combat idle" along with the option to not auto-attack after casting a spell, and "combat idle" starting when recovery is over.

When you control a spellcaster and you select the next spell whenever a spell finishes casting, the battlefield is probably going to change a lot before the previous spell's recovery ends and the next spell finishes casting. The time to select what spell to cast is when the character is not in recovery any more. You could put an option for auto-pausing when recovery ends, but that would be annoying for anyone in melee, and for mixed melee/caster characters like ciphers and druids.

This would also auto-pause when a character's finished moving somewhere during a fight, which would be useful.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Captain Concept posted:

(I've only got two frontline characters on my current run, a Fighter and a Barbarian, and it's quite enough against the hardest fights as long as I have a choke point or corner to press up on).

Or a character with Reach (Pike, for instance), too many melee characters and they'll just block each other at the most crucial moments, and body blocking is only satisfying when you do it to your enemy opponent in MOBA games.

Now I want a harpoon 1/encounter common quickslot item that lets you pull one enemy to you, Scorpion style. Make a party of all melee, pull one enemy at a time in to be fully surrounded while your tank staves off the rest. Fits the pirate theme, too!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Rope kid what is your favourite classless tabletop system that is not tightly tired to setting and does not require high levels of system mastery to make effective characters in? I have trouble finding such a system.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Magic spells that make people change their mind also exist. Mentally controlling someone to go sit in a chair every time they try to attack you should get the message across eventually.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Hatchets give bonus deflection, for what it's worth.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Mantari posted:

I recently started playing this again, continuing my game that i started at launch.
My main char is a rogue and I remember him loving pwning everything back then, I dunno what they did but he's poo poo now so I rebuilt him as a riposte rogue from that russian guys youtube guide(at least he stays alive now).
I am finally exploring the endless paths dungeon and it's the best thing ever. I'm hoping the new one will have similar large dungeons with lots of quests from strange creatures.

One of the bugs at launch was that modal buffs were being applied again every time the game was loaded or you changed screens, so characters with them became very powerful. That's likely why your rogue was so powerful at launch.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I see a few complaints in the thread about casting times being very long in the Deadfire beta. That's very discouraging. I have an idea - if ability recovery did not apply to auto attack, things would look much less silly with long recoveries, and I suspect short casting times with long recoveries would feel much better if you could do *something* between casts.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Not sure I agree. I am very new at this, but I am finding it very difficult to use certain spells. In particular, any spell which stops enemy movement seems pretty worthless because of the casting time. I cast it at enemies and they run out of the range before the spell gets cast, wasting it uselessly.

However, I play this game in a very stop-motion fashion, spending most time paused and rarely running the game in real-time for long, which explains why I cannot intuitively grasp the idea of how long it takes a spell to go off.

We're talking about Deadfire here; one of the improvements for the sequel is that you can retarget spells while they are casting. In PoE1, generally you want your meat shields to hold the enemy crowds in place in a choke point or manipulating their AI to collide with one another while battlefield control spells are casting, targetting them right in front of your meat shield or where you expect their AI to get momentarily tangled up. Or cast auto-targeting CC spells like Returning Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I really liked the idea of Empowers as a resource you could tap to do extra awesome stuff. Watering that down to give Resolve a use for casters makes me sad. If casters are what you want to target then target casters. Give casters a spell slot back for every 200/Resolve seconds in combat, or something.

• Locked thread